Reboarding after excursions

figi4

Each country has it's own laws about taking food into their country. The normal rule is that it must be prepackaged, unopened items. Yes they will make you throw it away and sometimes you'll even see dogs sniffing for food as you exit the ship.

Also to the OP, each cruiseline publishes a daily newsletter for each days activities. I know Carnival publishes on that newsletter the port contacts name and phone number on the newsletter so it's recommended to bring that ashore with you in case you run into problems while in port.

Really? I've read that the "lunch" provided with our excursion was pretty bad and was hoping to bring a few things with me. Especially since I'm not supposed to eat bread and they only provide sandwiches.

If I tried and were caught would they do anything besides just throw it away?

Prepackaged foods-- cookies, crackers, even the boxes of cereal are all good. Please follow the rules of the country when they ask not to take foods off the ship. (in St Thomas you will see tables full of food that will be thrown away.

YThey often will have a big clock close by when you disembark or just ask security. .

Do NOT ask anyone outside the ship what time it is. Different people could have different times-- not all ships change clocks to reflect island time.

Do NOT ask anyone outside the ship what time it is. Different people could have different times-- not all ships change clocks to reflect island time.

Do any of the islands change their clocks to reflect ship time? :confused:

Do any of the islands change their clocks to reflect ship time? :confused:

IF there are a few ships in port -- all having different times

depending on where the ship is from.

When we sailed the Voyager there was many ships in port and all differnt times.

some ships were an hour behind some were exact so where an hour ahead

some ships come from Houston others come from Florida

You do not not need a picture ID to reboard. Just your cruise card which is also your cabin key.

DON

had to show id when getting back to the Golden may have depended on port as some were on piers used by other ships etc and ones that were working but i did have to show id as well as cruise card

Because at MOST piers you are asked to show a photo ID along with your sign and sail card. I was in a line with a family in front of me and the mom had to stay behind while the rest went and got her drivers license= this was in grand cayman. It is ALWAYS a safe bet to carry that photo id with you.

that happened with a couple in front of me the hubby had his so had to go on get hers lucky one of them had id to do so

Yes photo ID is a must to get in to pier area, I've seen loads of people refused entry and then someone else has to reborn the ship to get it. It doesn't have to be passport or drivers license. Last cruise my aunt used her bus pass and I used my social security card, as long as it has your name and photo on it. Also make sure your watch is set to correct time getting off of the ship. I almost missed the last tender once as my phone reset itself to local time & I didn't notice. They often will have a big clock close by when you disembark or just ask security. Also the cruise daily will tell you if you need photo id or not.

goldens time was same time as nz i didnt have this troubles thankfully

In all our cruises we have never been asked for any photo id. I always have my driving licence with me (don't know why as I don't intend to drive anywhere :D) and that has my photo on it so if I was to be asked I could always show them that.

OP: if there is a difference between on shore time and ship time the Captain will probably announce it as he did when we did a stop at Adelaide. I believe the time difference was half an hour, doesn't sound much, but if you miss the last shuttle back to the ship......

I don't ever remember seeing any food sniffing dogs while getting off the ship on any of the cruises I've been on. But I was told once that I couldn't take my coffee cup off and that I needed to finish it before I got off. It wasn't coffee inside. LOL

You can bring factory sealed food from home if you need to. Nothing that was from the buffet.

You do not not need a picture ID to reboard. Just your cruise card which is also your cabin key.

DON

When re boarding in Progreso, we were running late, they wanted to see the sail and sign card, in Cozumel it was passport and sail and sign card, in Nassau, it was both, really depends on the port, and your ship (if they have a daily paper) will tell you what you need to bring on and off the ship.

I say better safe than sorry.;)

I don't ever remember seeing any food sniffing dogs while getting off the ship on any of the cruises I've been on. But I was told once that I couldn't take my coffee cup off and that I needed to finish it before I got off. It wasn't coffee inside. LOL

You can bring factory sealed food from home if you need to. Nothing that was from the buffet.

In Progreso, because the excursions are so long I guess, a lot of folk were trying to sneak food off of the ship. And there were the cutest dogs sniffing, if they found food, they followed the person, and then the guard, would pull the person over, and ask them first, and then make them take it back, or throw it out. This was before they ever got to the exit gate on the pier.

Edited by marshhawk

DON

I'm cruising Europe this summer and in most of Europe it is illegal not to carry photo ID - so def carry your passport if travelling in Europe

I'm cruising Europe this summer and in most of Europe it is illegal not to carry photo ID - so def carry your passport if travelling in Europe

Rather than a passport, I carry a photo ID (driver's license) or a copy of my passport. Carrying the passport is just asking for trouble if it is lost or stolen.

Rather than a passport, I carry a photo ID (driver's license) or a copy of my passport. Carrying the passport is just asking for trouble if it is lost or stolen.

We carry our Passport Card so we can leave our full Passport booklet in the safe. The card works as a photo id and better, if a problem arises, the card has all the info needed by our Counsellor office.

I would not take your passport with you.

To me the risk of losing or having your passport is much great than any benefits.

Original Poster just always pad the time when you have to be back because things happen that could delay your return.

Be sure to take the phone number and name of the port agent.

Keith