Crown Jan 22 3-day Delayed Boarding due to Noro

CanadianBurger

You blame the crew in many of your posts, I think you need some more factual information instead of conjecture. :(

I said the same thing in the 2 threads I've posted on. The research I've done today leads me to believe it could be a high possibility. Food preparation is a big factor in the spread of the illness. It is logical that since the Crown is affected repeatedly, it could be passed from crew member to crew member since Princess' quarantine period is 2-3 days & infected person is contagious for 5-6 days.

You blame the crew in many of your posts, I think you need some more factual information instead of conjecture. :(

Most of the crews are from 3rd world countries where personal hygiene and cleanliness aren't practiced or taught. Makes sense doesn't it?

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Most of the crews are from 3rd world countries where personal hygiene and cleanliness aren't practiced or taught. Makes sense doesn't it?

and there are many passengers that act like they are from 3rd world countries when they walk from the toilet out the door..... and board carrying the virus.

It only takes one........Makes sense doesn't it?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

and there are many passengers that act like they are from 3rd world countries when they walk from the toilet out the door..... and board carrying the virus.

It only takes one........Makes sense doesn't it?

Absolutely, but if that were the case every ship would be affected by approximately the same number of cases. The Crown has an unusually high number of repeated outbreaks.

They are on for an average of 8 months. It's the only constant in the equation. It gets passed on from crew member to crew member to passenger.

Although we've had two Noro-free Crown cruises, I agree with the above. It seems to be the only logical reason the Crown constantly has problems. Yes, the crew changes, but the management remains the same for longer periods of time. It seems something is not being done to enforce the crew to follow the procedures to prevent the spread of the disease on this particular ship.

Noro was evident in several end on cruises on Celebrity Equinox in June - September. Our cruise had a precruise deep deep clean - precautions were lifted at the end of our cruise, next cruise was a charter (don't know situation), next cruise back to Noro precautions. At the time it was wondered if crew might have been carrying it.

Edited by Pushka

Absolutely, but if that were the case every ship would be affected by approximately the same number of cases. The Crown has an unusually high number of repeated outbreaks.

Are there statistics to confirm such a claim? I would want to read statistics about norovirus cases on the Crown in comparison to other ships & not base my opinions on what is posted on CC. I'm not trying to be confrontational but I need facts to form my opinion.

CC posts are not scientific analysis of norovirus outbreaks & just because it's posted here doesn't mean that it's a proven fact. I've read too many claims on CC that proved to not be accurate. In the past 3 years I've sailed over 2 months on the Crown without any norovirus outbreaks but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't a problem on the Crown.

There are too many assumptions being posted without any sort of scientific facts & until I read such facts the premise that the Crown is jinxed or is deficient in their preventative measures are only assumptions to me.

I read recently that there's a new strain of the norovirus in the US this year & thus it's forecasted to result in a 50% increase in norovirus cases. That's not going to keep me from sailing on the Crown this Spring but I'll continue to be proactive in an effort to avoid becoming infected. That's all that I can do to fully enjoy my cruise. ;)

This forum has provided me with a lot of good, and also a lot of misinformation, and without any scientific information I'm not overly concerned about sailing the Crown again.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Noro was evident in several end on cruises on Celebrity Equinox in June - September. Our cruise had a precruise deep deep clean - precautions were lifted at the end of our cruise, next cruise was a charter (don't know situation), next cruise back to Noro precautions. At the time it was wondered if crew might have been carrying it.

Unfortunately its everywhere.

Having witnessed the habits of the crew, I wouldn't be surprised if they spread it. [emoji17] We've seen waiters wipe their noses with their hands, the buffet stewards handle the dirty dishes and then serve your coffee and orange juice, the room stewards clean many rooms without wearing gloves, and the bartenders make your drinks after handling the cards of other pax. I wish more stringent hygiene standards were in place for crew!

I am convinced it is the crew spreading the disease. We just got off the Crown today. Despite being extremely careful, ie not using elevators, hot tubs, buffet, etc, we both don't feel good.]this morning. It appeared that someone 2 cabins down may have been sick (carpet cleaning being done) so common denomonater (sp)could be steward, person who folds towels, sheets, etc. We did ask for different pillow - who knows, maybe they didn't sanitize the ones that weren't on the beds. I did a search of noro & it seems that you can be contagious for up to 2 weeks after symptoms are gone. I know they don't keep crew in isolation for 2 weeks after being sick.

I agree with the above. I have consistently seen cabin stewards not wash hands (or change gloves if wearing them) between cabins they were cleaning. I worked in health care for many years, so pay attention to this sort of thing. I treat my cabin as though I were using a public restroom--touch as little as possible, and wash hands after I do touch something.

[quote name='slabadini']Did the sailing on the 26th have the same delays due to Noro?[/QUOTE]

I checked their roll call & it did not appear that the voyage was delayed.
I'm going again on the 5th so I'm keeping track.
As far as hand washing, etc. I noticed the water in the public bathrooms didn't really get really hot - possibly for liability reasons - and a few soap dispensers weren't working.

That's great news! I am also sailing on the 5th. It was a Christmas present for my mom (my boyfriend, his best friend and I are all taking our moms) so I am extra nervous about her flying all the way from Boston just to spend the trip sick! I bought norovirus-specific wipes but hopefully the threat has been reduced by the time we sail!

I just spoke to a friend who works in the terminal for Princess in San Pedro. She told me"last week was a mere precaution as the ship came back sick and she is fine this week, no worries". Hopefully, this holds up through our trip on the 5th.

We were on the 28day Tahiti cruise on the Crown in 2014. As we always do we sanitized our cabin when we first entered with peroxide wipes we ordered on line. All surfaces we would touch, from door handles to light switches, tv remotes, showers, toilets, sinks were washed and repeated every other day. On the 25th day my wife and I came down with noro. We washed hands before entering the dining room and never used the public rest rooms except to wash our hands after using the hand rails to enter the restaurant. It's true, the water in the rest rooms is not very hot.

The second day out, I caught a crewmember refilling a salad item in the buffet. He coughed into his gloved hand. I mentioned it to his supervisor.

Somehow the Crown seems to have the worst problem and we've decided not to sail on her in the future. Edited by janacin

If the ship is delayed boarding until 2:30 pm and you have a Princess transfer from the airport, here's what to expect:

We were greeted at the airport by a Princess rep then we boarded a bus which took us to the Sheraton Hotel. We boarded the bus around 9:00 am and arrived at the hotel around 9:30 am. We sat at the hotel until 12:30. More and more people were coming in from the airport and it was getting crowded at the hotel. We then boarded the bus around 12:45 to go to the terminal. We sat at the terminal for 3 hours with no bathroom facilities on board and no water. We had handicapped people on board who had to use the rest room. I finally got up from my seat with my cell phone in hand and I confronted the bus driver. I gave her two choices. Either take us over to the terminal or I call 911 and tell them you are holding us hostage. She hopped on the bus and took us to the terminal. We were on the ship within 15 minutes.

That's the last time we will ever take a Princess transfer. Do not let them take control of your life. Speak up when something isn't right.

Keep your hands away from your face and don't get that urge to lick your fingers while eating.

[quote name='janacin']We were on the 28day Tahiti cruise on the Crown in 2014. As we always do we sanitized our cabin when we first entered with peroxide wipes we ordered on line. All surfaces we would touch, from door handles to light switches, tv remotes, showers, toilets, sinks were washed and repeated every other day. On the 25th day my wife and I came down with noro. We washed hands before entering the dining room and never used the public rest rooms except to wash our hands after using the hand rails to enter the restaurant. It's true, the water in the rest rooms is not very hot.

The second day out, I caught a crewmember refilling a salad item in the buffet. He coughed into his gloved hand. I mentioned it to his supervisor.

Somehow the Crown seems to have the worst problem and we've decided not to sail on her in the future.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you regarding not sailing on the Crown. We have been on the Crown three times at different times and ports for embarkation and had a delay due to Noro each time. One of the cruises (back in 2012) had a delay embarking......boarding didn't start until 6pm and then the cruise was cancelled about halfway through due to increased Norovirus. The ship turned around and headed back. We never even got off the ship. We did get all our money back and a credit towards another cruise plus Princess paid for air fare back home. Now we don't even look at the itineraries on the Crown. I realize Noro is everywhere but the Crown is a bit excessive over the years. They just can't seem to get rid of it. When people say that their cruise was Noro free...I think that is misleading. Their cruise just didn't have the higher level of Noro that the ship seems to have repeatedly. It seems that they can get it under a slight control which allows the ship not to be on high alert but can never really get rid of it. Edited by whatcruiseisnext

I've done research on Noro & cruise ships, & the Crown has had 5 major outbreaks (where 3% or more of passengers are sick) since 2012, more than any other ship on all cruiselines. It's true, gloves are only a feel good measure since you can cough into them, or contaminate then while putting them on.
You are contagious just before you get symptoms to about 5 days after your symptoms disappear. You should not prepare food for at least 5 days after you feel better.
I have some friends that got sick on the Crown & they won't sail her again. I'm not that worried, just be vigilant about what you touch.

[quote name='elliair']If the ship is delayed boarding until 2:30 pm and you have a Princess transfer from the airport, here's what to expect:

We were greeted at the airport by a Princess rep then we boarded a bus which took us to the Sheraton Hotel. We boarded the bus around 9:00 am and arrived at the hotel around 9:30 am. We sat at the hotel until 12:30. More and more people were coming in from the airport and it was getting crowded at the hotel. We then boarded the bus around 12:45 to go to the terminal. We sat at the terminal for 3 hours with no bathroom facilities on board and no water. We had handicapped people on board who had to use the rest room. I finally got up from my seat with my cell phone in hand and I confronted the bus driver. I gave her two choices. Either take us over to the terminal or I call 911 and tell them you are holding us hostage. She hopped on the bus and took us to the terminal. We were on the ship within 15 minutes.

That's the last time we will ever take a Princess transfer. Do not let them take control of your life. Speak up when something isn't right.

Keep your hands away from your face and don't get that urge to lick your fingers while eating.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a horrible experience! But thanks for your report.