LIVE From the February 7th Eclipse

chamima

We were in Antigua today. Many people that we talked to took taxis to Dickerson Bay because it was close. We chose to go to the Valley Church Beach. Transportation was $8pp each way. We shared a taxi with another couple and paid only after the driver picked us back up in the early afternoon. There was a beach restaurant and bar there with wifi. It cost us $5/chair and $10 for a large umbrella (plenty big for 2). The beach surroundings were very pretty. There was a little bit of a drop off when you entered the water and we had a laugh trying not to look too awkward getting out. A great day.

Sue

Today we were in St. Kitts, and we went on a roll call organized trip to Cockleshell Beach. A few people expressed an interest via the roll call in sharing a taxi to go there, and then more people wanted to join, and eventually we had 30+ people travel together in 3 vans to the beach! Most of us sat in the area in front of the Reggae beach bar and restaurant. They charged $5 per chair and umbrella. We purchased a bucket of beer: buy 5, get 1 free. We left the pier shortly after 9:00 and it was pretty quiet when we arrived, but had gotten very crowded by the time we left because there were 3 ships in port. It was a pleasant day with very little intrusion by beach vendors as we'd seen on the other islands.

Sue

We are on our first sea day on the way back to Miami, in the Atlantic Ocean. The winds are strong and seas are a little rougher than what we'd seen during the trip so far, and we're getting some rocking today for the first time, but it's not too bad.

Yesterday was our stop in St. Maarten. We saw six ships in port: Regal Princess, Celebrity Equinox, Silhouette in addition to our Eclipse, Costa Magica, and the Allure of the Seas (which really counts for two ships). We had read online that there was a port load of over 22,000 people that day. With so many ships in port, we decided to forgo a trip to Maho or Orient Beach and just wandered around in town. There were a lot of good deals there for chairs and umbrella and the beer was typically $2. We'd had enough beach time by now, so we just had a drink at a little restaurant/bar in a shaded area on one end of the beach where they offered free (but weak) WiFi (good enough to check our email really quick).

Tonight is our second "Evening Chic" night. Celebrity said this means "cocktail dress, skirt, pants or designer jeans". On the previous chic night, I saw no "designer jeans", and most people were dressed up as they always have for formal nights. Personally, we took advantage of the relaxation in dress code and my husband left his jacket at home, and I left my high heels at home and I stuck to dress pants and a fancy top and fit in well. The menu still has Beef Wellington and Lobster Tail.

We are looking forward to another sea day tomorrow.

Sue

Sue ... I know Vinod is in Blu could you tell me who hostess and Maitre d are? Thx

I'm just in a veranda room on this cruise and don't go to Blu, but went over there this evening and asked, and they are Tijana and Ben. Ben asked, "Are we in trouble?" "No", I assured them, "all good". :)

Sue

Some random thoughts:

I'm still in love with Celebrity cruises, between the excellent crew and the quality of main dining room food. I'm always impressed with the way that the chef has put together combinations of ingredients that taste great together. One night I decided to get one of the dishes that on the every day list, and although it was good (probably the same quality as that what I'd get at a local average restaurant), it was just a tad bit boring. Everything else was terrific.

On Valentine's Day, the women received a rose at the dining room. One rose per woman, I wish I'd seen the delivery of the roses that day to the ship!! Good quality too, I put mine into a bottle of water and it's just started to wilt today, 6 days later.

We upgraded to the premium package halfway through the cruise, and I'd wondered aloud on this thread if it would be worth it. In my case, I would say yes, with some comments. My husband liked the better selection of beer, and we liked that we could order most martinis. The increase in the top allowed price of the wine got us to a place where we could taste a noticeable improvement in quality, but we still could not get the best wines without paying extra (we didn't). I think that upgrading part way through the cruise worked well for us, a good way to spend our OBC, and was a good compromise to save a little money: we drank well drinks and inexpensive beer and wine in the beginning and then tried the better stuff later on.

Speaking of the drinks package, the fact that the classic package included sodas, coffee/tea and water was a terrific bonus (especially the water). We went through a lot of water, and appreciated that water bottles were free whenever we wanted them.

I can't remember if it was after we'd upgraded or all along with the classic package, but I was very impressed on how our waiter and sommelier continued to top off our wine glasses during the meal. Celebrity didn't need to offer extra drinks to us after we had paid our fixed price, but the drinks were large and plentiful.

There were a great set of passengers on board this cruise. So many friendly people!! The clientele was a little older on average than other cruises we'd been on. Since it was a 14 day cruise in the winter, it attracts mostly empty-nesters and retired folks. There were some younger folks and a few young families, but not many.

All in all, a great cruise!!

I'm just in a veranda room on this cruise and don't go to Blu, but went over there this evening and asked, and they are Tijana and Ben. Ben asked, "Are we in trouble?" "No", I assured them, "all good". :)

Sue

We ate in Blu and Ben is the BEST Maitre D we've had in all of our cruises.!!! If he's there on your cruise count yourself very lucky. He runs an efficient dining room with a happy staff.

Thank you all for taking time to post during your cruise. As one who will board Eclipse in only 2 weeks, we appreciate the current updates.

Have a great cruise, we did. Disembarkation was super quick and easy, I can't recall when we were off so quickly before, it was about 20 mins before our scheduled time. We rented a car and are killing some time in Fort Lauderdale before an evening flight.

So agree about Ben and his team so amazing. Looked forward to dinner every night even if I wasnt hungry just to see Ben and staff.

The choir experience amazing say hi to Michaell and Rachel their shows all great. Loved topper rocked to Rock city and chandelier was amazing- atrim interfaces amazing- enjoy so envious

Edited by Prewelli

So agree about Ben and his team so amazing. Looked forward to dinner every night even if I wasnt hungry just to see Ben and staff.

The choir experience amazing say hi to Michaell and Rachel their shows all great. Loved topper rocked to Rock city and chandelier was amazing- atrim interfaces amazing- enjoy so envious

I agree with the choir experience!! I'm so glad I decided to do it. I was hoping to run into you again before you left to tell you that we enjoyed your company. Have a safe flight home, maybe we will meet again on a future cruise.

And us also Sue - hopefully we will meet again. Wexwere in Tuscan Grill and then had to sit on a coach for a whille- it wasnt a big deal.

To everyone look after Eclipse have lots of fun and just ho with the flow. Did excursions with Sue and other members of board and it was soo good.

Still at Airport feel like picking up bags and rushing back- sue my email is jannyevans2003@yahoo.co.uk. Contact us if you come to Ukxx

Off the eclipse today...got to Miami airport and got on standby for a 9:20 flight to jfk...we walked off with our luggage and was at airport around 7:30.

We had a great time and must say that just about all the beef dishes in the dining room were excellent...some portions of food were quite small but we had more than enough food. All staff were so friendly. Really enjoyed the hot glass shows. Weather was spectacular...some windy days. Did tons of snorkeling. Spencer Ambrose beach tour was great...down to the pitons on his speed boat...great snorkeling.

Sue

Sue

Thank you for all your updates. Just watched Eclipse leave on Port of Miami webcam. Two weeks and will be us! Thanks again.

Art

Hi Mary

Hope you are having a great cruise and are managing to keep Lisa & Jules in order !!!! Wished we could have met up again on this cruise but we could not make it work. Love From Julie & Andrew UK xx

Julie & Andrew

Lisa and Julian were their usual entertaining selves but maybe more so with so many pals from Riogordo. We were 17 for dinner - at 2 tables this time. So many lovely fun new people and of course Hege, Einer, and the just lovely Jale' and Joseph too who have invited us to visit them at their country house. Lisa is saying maybe in September.

Too bad this cruise did not work but maybe some day soon we all can do it again.

A belated Happy Birthday for Andrew's 50th - He heard all about the celebration.

I just got home about an hour ago.

Best regards,

Mary;)

P. S. Good news - During the cruise Lisa heard that Mark & Louise are pregnant.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all who've shared their insights. We are sailing on Eclipse in 6 weeks, and look forward to being onboard again.

For those who know Vinod, has anyone heard how long he will be onboard for ? We've known Vinod for years, and consider him a dear friend. He's always been very kind to our family and we always appreciate him. Unfortunately, we're not dining in BLU, but it would be wonderful to see him again. Hope he's onboard for 2 more months. Thanks in advance !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all who've shared their insights. We are sailing on Eclipse in 6 weeks, and look forward to being onboard again.

For those who know Vinod, has anyone heard how long he will be onboard for ? We've known Vinod for years, and consider him a dear friend. He's always been very kind to our family and we always appreciate him. Unfortunately, we're not dining in BLU, but it would be wonderful to see him again. Hope he's onboard for 2 more months. Thanks in advance !

Hi Andy

You've helped me so often in the past that I'm thrilled to be able to help you.

I think he said he'll be on board until October OR that he'll join the Equinox in October after his vacation. Either way he should still be on board for your cruise.

We've also know Vinod for years and this year finally exchanged contact information so I'll verify with him and get back to you.

We are in Fort Lauderdale today for the day before boarding the Royal Princess Depending on internet reliability I may not get back to you for 2 weeks but I promise to follow through.

I plan to write a short review but I have to tell you that if you have any chance to upgrade to Aqua this would be the cruise to do it! Not only is Vinod his warm, wonderful self but his assistant Artem is just as fabulous. The two of them work in synchronistic tandem just unbelievably. Add to that Benedict , the most fabulous Maitre D', (and his sweet assistant Tiyana) who is not only warm,friendly and all over the dining room but works WITH his happy staff supportively instead of just over them so that the dining room is never overwhelmed but always runs smoothly.

It's definitely the best dining room experience we've had in our 40 some cruises.

I don't know if you've also known Anita but she is also still on the ship. She's been promoted to (I think) running Bistro on 5 and Select dining and so is constantly running all over but it's lovely to see her .

Edited by chamima

VERY short review as we are in between cruises but I wanted to quickly report my impressions before they get mixed with our next cruise.

I've already written how fabulous Blu was.

My husband is a vegan with some other food restrictions. we always give the Maitre D' a written list of what he can and can't eat the first day of the cruise.

The BLU kitchen outdid themselves this year. Each evening he had not only a tasty entree but, for the first time ever, also an appetizer and a dessert!

I don't know if this was thanks to Ben, Vinod or a great chef in the kitchen but suspect it's a combination of all three)

Friends in the MDR reported that portions were small and food needed some spice but that service was wonderful as always.

This was our first cruise on the Eclipse without Sue Denning as the cruise director and the difference in the "life" around the ship was glaring! :(

There was a new performance in the theater each evening and most were very good. The new production shows were all great.

So that part was wonderful.

There was a strings duo, another duo of guitarist and singer, 2 DJs (:confused:), the orchestra and house band - so plenty of entertainers BUT and this is a big but, the scheduling was atrocious.

The night of the big deck party at 10:30 was also the ONLY night that the production shows were at 8 and 10:30 (instead of 7 and 9 every other night of the cruise).

It was not even a formal night so why 2 big events at the same time?

The one wine and cheese on the lawn - instead of being with either duo, was with the DJ (and also the same time as a party at the pool with the House band).

There were large blocks of time in the evening where there wasn't a note of music anywhere in the center of the ship for hours.

Enough said about that.

Service was, as usual, wonderful everywhere.

We missed the water (and the fresh grapefruit juice!!!!! :( ) in our Aqua cabin but the cabin steward (Michael) was wonderful and the coffee was delicious - a HUGE improvement over last year.

The ship is spotless and most of the crew warm and friendly as usual.

It was a good cruise (mostly thanks to Ben, Vinod, Artem and their colleagues in Blu) (and our wonderful friends!!!!) but could easily have been a great one with some better scheduling of available musical entertainers.

Edited by chamima

Hi Andy

You've helped me so often in the past that I'm thrilled to be able to help you.

I think he said he'll be on board until October OR that he'll join the Equinox in October after his vacation. Either way he should still be on board for your cruise.

We've also know Vinod for years and this year finally exchanged contact information so I'll verify with him and get back to you.

We are in Fort Lauderdale today for the day before boarding the Royal Princess Depending on internet reliability I may not get back to you for 2 weeks but I promise to follow through.

I plan to write a short review but I have to tell you that if you have any chance to upgrade to Aqua this would be the cruise to do it! Not only is Vinod his warm, wonderful self but his assistant Artem is just as fabulous. The two of them work in synchronistic tandem just unbelievably. Add to that Benedict , the most fabulous Maitre D', (and his sweet assistant Tiyana) who is not only warm,friendly and all over the dining room but works WITH his happy staff supportively instead of just over them so that the dining room is never overwhelmed but always runs smoothly.

It's definitely the best dining room experience we've had in our 40 some cruises.

I don't know if you've also known Anita but she is also still on the ship. She's been promoted to (I think) running Bistro on 5 and Select dining and so is constantly running all over but it's lovely to see her .

Hi Karen,

Thanks for all of the great information. Sounds like Vinod will be onboard Eclipse - and I look forward to your confirmation. Have a wonderful time on Royal Princess. We've sailed on her twice in recent months, and she's a lovely ship. I think Celebrity beats Princess in many ways, but I'm sure you will enjoy the ship & cruise very much. I hope the Internet is better than what we experienced in November - it was awful. Hope you find a much improved experience !

All the best, and have a wonderful cruise !

Hi Karen,

Thanks for all of the great information. Sounds like Vinod will be onboard Eclipse - and I look forward to your confirmation. Have a wonderful time on Royal Princess. We've sailed on her twice in recent months, and she's a lovely ship. I think Celebrity beats Princess in many ways, but I'm sure you will enjoy the ship & cruise very much. I hope the Internet is better than what we experienced in November - it was awful. Hope you find a much improved experience !

All the best, and have a wonderful cruise !

Purchased unlimited w ifi -after we used our free minutes and got a deal.

Didnt bring any of the Celebrity todays but know Blu open from 6.30 or7.00am depending on shore or at sea day- again in the evening 5.30 until 9.30

Luminae definetly open at 6.00pm

The Ocean view was open all day from about 7until late

Purchased unlimited w ifi -after we used our free minutes and got a deal.

Didnt bring any of the Celebrity todays but know Blu open from 6.30 or7.00am depending on shore or at sea day- again in the evening 5.30 until 9.30

Luminae definetly open at 6.00pm

The Ocean view was open all day from about 7until late

I kept my Celebrity todays and that's pretty much correct. The ocean view open from 6:30am until 12:30am, but a few times parts of the buffet were closed between meals. Breakfast served until 11:30, lunch starts at noon. Lunch officially ended at 2:30, but we saw it open later than that. Tea starts 3:30, sushi at 5:30, dinner at 6:00. Pizza/pasta open noon to 1:00am.

Luminae: breakfast: 7:30/8:00 until 9:00/9:30 (port/sea day), dinner 6:00-9:30.

Sue

Edited by SandG