Cruising with a Mess of Children

So I've cruised Royal and Princess, but sans children. We preferred Royal, especially for kids, but while planning a family cruise I have some concerns with how they might be split.

If we cruise this Spring short notice, we'll have 4--ages 8,12,14, and 14. Then if we wait until October, everyone will be a year older.

I'd like the youngest to be with someone else, but I'd also like the twins to NOT be in a 15-17 do anything club. How strict is Royal on groups/ages when it comes to siblings? Can anyone advise? Would we be better going with another line entirely (Carnival, Norwegian)?

Thanks in advance!!!

So I've cruised Royal and Princess, but sans children. We preferred Royal, especially for kids, but while planning a family cruise I have some concerns with how they might be split.

If we cruise this Spring short notice, we'll have 4--ages 8,12,14, and 14. Then if we wait until October, everyone will be a year older.

I'd like the youngest to be with someone else, but I'd also like the twins to NOT be in a 15-17 do anything club. How strict is Royal on groups/ages when it comes to siblings? Can anyone advise? Would we be better going with another line entirely (Carnival, Norwegian)?

Thanks in advance!!!

The 8 year old will be in the 6-8 yr old group or if you wait, the 9-11 yr old group. There is no way this child would be in the same group as their siblings, the age gap is just too large.

The 12 year old will be in the 12-14 year old group in either scenario. The 14 year olds will be in the 12-14 group or 15-17 group depending. On some ships and at some times of the year, the 12-14 and 15-17 yr old groups are combined. There really is no way of knowing until you board. Both the teen groups are come and go as you please, no signing in and out.

This is a classic issue. RCL is very strict about age groups and I see why. No one wants their 13 year old daughter hanging out with a 17/18 year old "teen." The problem is when your 13 year old can't hang out with her 12 year old friend. I'm glad you recognize just how big an issue this can be. 19-20 year olds are stuck in limbo on these ships. Can't hang with the teens and can't get into bars or drink.

Edited by caseymorgan

This is a classic issue. RCL is very strict about age groups and I see why. No one wants their 13 year old daughter hanging out with a 17/18 year old "teen." The problem is when your 13 year old can't hang out with her 12 year old friend. I'm glad you recognize just how big an issue this can be. 19-20 year olds are stuck in limbo on these ships. Can't hang with the teens and can't get into bars or drink.

18 year olds are not allowed in the teen group. The age groups are 12-14 and 15-17 and they are combined at times.

As far as 19 and 20 year olds, they are allowed into bars, they are not allowed to drink on ships sailing from North American ports.

Have to disagree with the poster above. Depending on when your 8 y.o. turns 9, they may let her age up. My daughter was 8 on our last cruise and she was in with our 11 y.o. in the 9-11 group. I have also seen posts of kids who are close to the cut off age down. It just depends on the staff at the kids club and how you present it.

I do agree though that with the way they group the kids your 8 y.o. won't ever be with the 12 y.o. unless they are close to 11 and can age down... they might not let you put both in the wrong age group, however.

They are very strict, what ever age they fall in is what group they will go. Sorry

Frankly I have found them to be very flexible for that 7 to 10 age range. Especially if the kids have cruised before they let the kids move up. It's all up to AO staff. If your child is mature and bored with the younger group I have found you can have them placed in the older group. I will say that my daughter was done with AO at 8 because the essentially do the same program on every cruise. Its great but you can only play pirate so many times before you are board. She no would much rather read in the room than go to AO.

So with the general consensuses being this would be difficult to impossible, does anyone typically keep their kids with them the majority of the time without the children being bored out of their minds?

Obviously we're just talking sea days, port days would have enough family oriented activities.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance!!!

you would have the same issue on carnival as the age groups are 6-8 9-11 12-14 you are better off cruising this spring if you want the kids together.

BUT if you are looking at October that is NOT COlumbus day week your 15 year old MIGHT be able to move down in age group. Key word here is MIGHT.

The 18-20 year olds are not "stuck in limbo". First of all there is more to cruising than drinking. Second, all the 18-20 year olds are too young to drink. Just because you turn 18 doesn't mean all your friends are suddenly 21. That said, they can go into the bars and they can drink. They just can't drink alcoholic drinks. Finally, there is more to a cruise ship than the teen club and bars. If that is all someone is interested in, I would suggest a land based venue would be a better choice.

Edited by Cuizer2

So with the general consensuses being this would be difficult to impossible, does anyone typically keep their kids with them the majority of the time without the children being bored out of their minds?

YES!! It wasn't even difficult! I mentioned earlier that they let my daughter age up to be with my son, but that was the ONE and only morning they attended the children's activities. We were on the Freedom and having so many activities for the kids to participate in on the ship (Pool area, flowrider, ice skating, shows, parades, etc) it was hard for me to justify making them play with kids they didn't know in a room the whole time. To me it seemed just like their after-school program, and why in the world would they want to do that on vacation? My kids were never bored, and we wished we had way more time to do all of the stuff the ship offered.

I guess it depends on your reason for vacation. Is it a family vacation where you want to experience most of the stuff with your entire family, or a cruise where the parents want to get away from everything and have time to themselves? If it's the first, we enjoyed spending hours by the pool while the kids played, watching them surf, ice skating with them, etc. If it's the second, then I'd try to get them interested in the kids programs so you have that time alone. My husband and I did trade off some time with the kids while the other took a nap or chilled on the balcony. :)

Whatever your preference, your kids will have fun as long as you choose a ship with plenty of kids activities. I'd say go for it this year (and then again next fall!!) :D:D

Thanks in advance!!!

Actually assuming by this "spring" you mean April/May, if you wait until October of 2016 the children will be 6-7 months older not "a year older"......

Actually assuming by this "spring" you mean April/May, if you wait until October of 2016 the children will be 6-7 months older not "a year older"......

I think OP meant that by October all the kids will have another birthday and will be 9, 13, 15 and 15.

Just had to laugh and smile at your title.

We have 6 kids and have taken them on 2 cruises. The first one we had kids 12,10,8,6,3 years and a 19 month old.

We had a great time on the oasis and the kids all loved the programming except the baby who doesn't like much can of anything.

Previous info others have given is what I would have said.

I for one wasn't thrilled with all the freedom that my new 12YO had on the ship coming and going and with crazy late events but he had a blast.

hanks in advance.

we have taken our grand daughter on a few cruises-- the next one in april will be her 6th cruise- she is 10

she goes to the camps "sometimes" is not there all day. she eats meals with us she goes to the night shows. (on carnival did the family friendly show)

during the day she went with us to the trivias and other games around the ship.

we have taken our grand daughter on a few cruises-- the next one in april will be her 6th cruise- she is 10

she goes to the camps "sometimes" is not there all day. she eats meals with us she goes to the night shows. (on carnival did the family friendly show)

during the day she went with us to the trivias and other games around the ship.

That's pretty much our daughter. She's 11 and goes to the kids club maybe half of her cruises. And even then it's sometimes only for a couple days or hours. It's rare she spends a lot of time there for a whole cruise. She likes going to the shows at night, and eating meals with us. Throw in the pool, slides (if on a ship with them) other activities, etc. She ends up with us most of the time overall.

The kids may actually enjoy some alone time away form the rest of the family Being trapped in a tiny cruise cabin all week, you will have plenty of "family time" outside of kids club hours to drive each other crazy.

Think of it like sending them to school, unless they're home schooled, I assume they all go to different teachers/grades, same concept.

Obviously we're just talking sea days, port days would have enough family oriented activities.

Thanks in advance.

My kids were never big on the kids clubs. So we were usually together. We hung out at the pool, did skating, trivia, rock wall climbing etc. we were never bored. Sometimes we sat and read books or Drew pictures it doesn't always have to be go go go

The 18-20 year olds are not "stuck in limbo". First of all there is more to cruising than drinking. Second, all the 18-20 year olds are too young to drink. Just because you turn 18 doesn't mean all your friends are suddenly 21. That said, they can go into the bars and they can drink. They just can't drink alcoholic drinks. Finally, there is more to a cruise ship than the teen club and bars. If that is all someone is interested in, I would suggest a land based venue would be a better choice.

They can gamble. ;)