Reservation cancelled!

That is not being generous. They inconvenienced them for all of their time and effort to make the choice and put down deposits. RCI is starting to act more like Carnival.

And I too am a Diamond Member, so I have a reference for my comments.

I agree, $100 is very poor IMO. When booking I spend a considerable amount of time researching and narrowing down the choices to get to the one preferred (and sometimes only suitable) itinerary. Once booked, I then start to look at excursions and and am mentally committed to the cruise. It would be very disappointing to find that all my hard work has been gazumped by RCI because they have chosen to accept a charter.

Edited by Aussieflyer

What airlines are you booking with? I've never been able to get something more than 11 months out

Thomas Cook Airlines who provide a direct service from Manchester UK tO Orlando, New York, Miami, Boston to name a few and who I'm looking at right now as flights are available for our April 2017 Celebrity sailing. Jet2 who are a large low cost operator providing services from numerous UK departure points to European destinations.

Virgin Atlantic if I want to book a fly drive (which is very relevant to me) who are currently offering flights 14 months ahead up to March 2017 so in another month I'll be able to review their offerings and that'll still be more than 11 months out.

Edited by peteukmcr

Thomas Cook Airlines who provide a direct service from Manchester UK tO Orlando, New York, Miami, Boston to name a few and who I'm looking at right now as flights are available for our April 2017 Celebrity sailing. Jet2 who are a large low cost operator providing services from numerous UK departure points to European destinations.

Virgin Atlantic if I want to book a fly drive (which is very relevant to me) who are currently offering flights 14 months ahead up to March 2017 so in another month I'll be able to review their offerings and that'll still be more than 11 months out.

You all have much better web skills than I. Currently on VA website and the latest flight from Heathrow to Orlando is December 27, 2017. Or 27 December as you all call it. 11 months, more or less

FYI everybody, just because someone says something, does not mean it's factual.

Oh, and I checked UK site, same time frame, same result

Edited by John&LaLa

You all have much better web skills than I. Currently on VA website and the latest flight from Heathrow to Orlando is December 27, 2017. Or 27 December as you all call it. 11 months, more or less

Most airlines release schedules 330 days out. Some, like Southwest, have varying release schedules.

It can be a very big deal if you are particular about your cabin. We book as soon as the cruises are listed for sale because there maybe just a very few cabins we want. It does little good to offer us $100 as compensation when none of the cabins we want are available on any of the options offered.

Yes. If the cruise is at the end of a long stop overseas then flights are booked this far in advance of the cruise.

Exception? Majority of Aussies travelling abroad.

My SIL paid the non refundable deposit on her Europe cruise 15 months out that included a flight package.

Maybe people need to realise that it isnt just USA people who travel on cruises and our situation is very different.

I do indeed "get" all of that -- we are not newbies to travel, and we are very well aware that people from all over the world cruise. We book our cruises on or about the day the schedules are released. We had an aft corner JS on RH for a Hawaii cruise last year, 13 nights, wonderful itinerary. RH was redeployed and we lost the cruise. That was merely the latest redeployed/canceled cruise that we have dealt with. We had a cancellation due to a charter in 2009 at the end of a b2b2b on Serenade. It happens. Frustrating, disappointing, of course! I never saw the need to start a thread over it, though. To each his/her own. :)

When you are booking "cruise only" it is my opinion that you are assuming the full risk of cancellation or change. If you don't want to do this book everything (Air, Hotel, Insurance. etc.) through the cruise line.

That is true, and Air2Sea has some great international prices, but most of our cruises that require flights are often more than 11 months out at time of booking. Currently have a TA to Rome in May 2017. Can't book that for a while. Plus we may tack a Med cruise on at the end once the itineraries are released in March ;)

I do indeed "get" all of that -- we are not newbies to travel, and we are very well aware that people from all over the world cruise. We book our cruises on or about the day the schedules are released. We had an aft corner JS on RH for a Hawaii cruise last year, 13 nights, wonderful itinerary. RH was redeployed and we lost the cruise. That was merely the latest redeployed/canceled cruise that we have dealt with. We had a cancellation due to a charter in 2009 at the end of a b2b2b on Serenade. It happens. Frustrating, disappointing, of course! I never saw the need to start a thread over it, though. To each his/her own. :)

My main problem with my cancellation from a charter is the way Royal handles them. My experience seems to mirror the same experience everyone else has with it. Royal removes the itinerary from the schedule and then the pax has to wait two or three weeks for Royal to even admit the cruise has been chartered. A simple search proves you've lost your reservation to a group charter. Royal manages the situation like it's the first time every time.

I shouldn't have to press Royal to "allow" me to reserve two weeks earlier because it's not one of the three itineraries offered as replacement.

I feel this is a much better discussion than "shorts in the MDR" , "gratuities", or "drink packages". JMO

As you say each to their own.

As I see it, far too many people are willing to accept these changes after booking and just shrug their shoulders, so the cruise lines will carry on in their own sweet way.

I do have better web skills than you obviously, seeing I'm also a travel agent!

You checked Virgin Atlantic did you? Really, well you didn't check the Virgin Holidays website which is where you can book fly drive holidays for March 2017 and later actually using Virgin Atlantic flights! I have a fly drive using VS 75 outbound on April 14th 2017 and VS 76 returning on 28th April 2017 on my screen now.

How dare you imply that I am lying. How rude! Do you want me to provide a screen shot to prove everything I say. I cannot get over how rude you are saying 'FYI everybody'! This is not the first time you have belittled people either.

You are a perfect example of why I stay away from CC at times. I only ever provide facts, not rumours, not heresay but FACTS! Nor do I belittle people, call them names, nor imply they are lying.

I do have better web skills than you obviously, seeing I'm also a travel agent!

You checked Virgin Atlantic did you? Really, well you didn't check the Virgin Holidays website which is where you can book fly drive holidays for March 2017 and later actually using Virgin Atlantic flights! I have a fly drive using VS 75 outbound on April 14th 2017 and VS 76 returning on 28th April 2017 on my screen now.

How dare you imply that I am lying. How rude! Do you want me to provide a screen shot to prove everything I say. I cannot get over how rude you are saying 'FYI everybody'! This is not the first time you have belittled people either.

You are a perfect example of why I stay away from CC at times. I only ever provide facts, not rumours, not heresay but FACTS! Nor do I belittle people, call them names, nor imply they are lying.

If you had said Virgin Holidays earlier, I would not have challenged you. You said Virgin Airlines. Never knew Virgin Holidays even existed.

Edited by John&LaLa
I give up

That is not being generous. They inconvenienced them for all of their time and effort to make the choice and put down deposits. RCI is starting to act more like Carnival.

And I too am a Diamond Member, so I have a reference for my comments.

Because of this? It's not like this is anything new. They and other cruise lines have been doing this for years.

Half truths and innuendos are of what I speak. You are obviously special. I just say it how I see it and Virgin Airlines website has no flights to the US past December 27.

BTW, I was joking when I said you had better web skills. ;)

"Half truths"? "innuendos"? Please explain where I gave "half truths" or "innuendos". Did you read where I stated it was Virgin Holidays website?

I am special, that's why I work as a Senior Business Travel Consultant and and I assume you don't.

And I wasn't joking when I said I had better web skills than you.

"Half truths"? "innuendos"? Please explain where I gave "half truths" or "innuendos". Did you read where I stated it was Virgin Holidays website?

I am special, that's why I work as a Senior Business Travel Consultant and and I assume you don't.

And I wasn't joking when I said I had better web skills than you.

FWIW, Pete, your original post did not say Virgin Holidays, it said Virgin Atlantic. see below, and Virgin Atlantic does not offer flights more than 11 months out. as a Senior something or other, I'm sure you know that. ;)

FWIW, Pete, your original post did not say Virgin Holidays, it said Virgin Atlantic. see below, and Virgin Atlantic does not offer flights more than 11 months out. as a Senior something or other, I'm sure you know that. ;)

Bye

Wow. This is the 2nd thread I've read today where people got mad because someone responded to what they wrote rather than what they meant. :rolleyes:

I thought that is the norm on CC. :cool:

Maybe British English doesn't translate well in to US English.

Edited by Biker19

We just cruised on Norwegian Escape for our first cruise. We planned a year in advance. My husband has to choose his vacation weeks in November for the following year. I would not have been happy to have our cruise cancelled after choosing our vacation based on a specific cruise we wanted.

According to website it's 350, but who's counting. ;)

Actually I can book a flight for Jan 26 2017 which would be - lets say, 365 days out.

Indeed, just because someone posts something doesn't mean its true - unless you have a picture. ;)

4d392852835bf70d8f9e1e3286a588d8.jpg

Clearly the experiences in booking trips differ between US and non US people. Many Aussies plan their OS trips 15 months out. They have to. Its a huge $ commitment for us. There are bookings we can and do make further ahead than others can so why people who have no experience of that then try insult others that do, well, I have nothing more to say to those people.

Posting another picture in case people now say that isn't a Qantas website.

44f4c89a1987496b5fa9962e7d725ccd.jpg

And I have to partially delete the Qantas up top left as otherwise all my personal details show up in the top right. No more conspiracy than that.

Edited by Pushka