Can't believe i didn't get the insurance!

ginger123snaps

Our cruise is this friday. I always purchase the travel insurance but for some reason forgot this time. Really...forgot. I booked the cruise a year ago..I had time to think about it...I didn't want to purchase the insurance in case we decided to cancel and not go before penalty period began. So I remember telling myself I would wait until we were absolutely certain...and then forgot!

We are flying in the night before this friday for a saturday cruise! I still can purchase it but at this point my husband says don't worry about the insurance now.

I called blue cross and blue shield and the guy i spoke with said medical would be covered and we have travel evacuation...covered through his work...in case we needed to be airlifted.

Should I just buy it anyways?

If it would give you peace of mind, it is worth the cost. If your medical is already covered, you may just want to get trip cancellation or trip delay insurance, in case you have weather or flight issues that would prevent you from boarding the ship on time.

You can also check with the credit card company that you used to pay for your cruise. Many cc companies offer trip insurance if you pay the entirety of your cruise or flights with them.

I would not buy it at this point, being only a week from sailing. That's just me...

I know that my credit card would cover $1500 pp for trip cancellation.

See what your credit card company covers.

Keith

What cards do you folks have that comes with travel cancellation?

Our cruise is this friday. I always purchase the travel insurance but for some reason forgot this time. Really...forgot. I booked the cruise a year ago..I had time to think about it...I didn't want to purchase the insurance in case we decided to cancel and not go before penalty period began. So I remember telling myself I would wait until we were absolutely certain...and then forgot!

We are flying in the night before this friday for a saturday cruise! I still can purchase it but at this point my husband says don't worry about the insurance now.

I called blue cross and blue shield and the guy i spoke with said medical would be covered and we have travel evacuation...covered through his work...in case we needed to be airlifted.

Should I just buy it anyways?

I would look at hubby's insurance policy to see if it covers medical evacuation OUTSIDE the US, and if so, what is the $$ amount. Many policies only give about $25,000 coverage but medical evacuation can cost twice that amount or more.

Wow...what credit card companies do you guys have that covers trip cancellation? I just got through buying two more insurance policies for our future cruises in 2017

We have capital one venture and it covers some money if you die or lose a limb. There is a baggage delay but nothing about trip interruption or cancellation.

A word about "coverage" for medical from someone who has years in the industry. It is true that typically there is "coverage" for medical care aboard cruise ships or abroad, however, what is not said is that you would need to pay up front, submit the claims to BC/BS or what other insurance company you have and it will be processed as a foreign claim and the payment would be reimbursed to you at the out of network coverage. Keep that in mind. A foreign health care provider or the cruise ship will not bill your insurance company on your behalf.

A word about "coverage" for medical from someone who has years in the industry. It is true that typically there is "coverage" for medical care aboard cruise ships or abroad, however, what is not said is that you would need to pay up front, submit the claims to BC/BS or what other insurance company you have and it will be processed as a foreign claim and the payment would be reimbursed to you at the out of network coverage. Keep that in mind. A foreign health care provider or the cruise ship will not bill your insurance company on your behalf.

Please don't make generalities about whether foreign travel emergency care would or would not be "out of network".

Each traveler should read his/her OWN policy CAREFULLY.

(For example, our regular employer's health insurance paid 100% of foreign ER care as well as the ship's medical bills.)

But yes, everyone should be aware that when traveling, one probably doesn't just hand over an insurance card, get the services, and leave.

Having a couple of charge card with credit available is useful, obviously.

It took a while for us to get those checks to reimburse us for the foreign and ship care.

What cards do you folks have that comes with travel cancellation?

I believe that at least some of the United Mileage Plus cards and AAdvantage cards carry trip cancellation, trip delay and lost baggage benefits. There are likely others, but those are two that I am aware of.

The Travel Insurance sub-forum of CruiseCritic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

is also a place to ask for more information about which charge cards have insurance, and what type/what limits.

You'll get answers from more people, including those who aren't primarily NCL passengers.

Wow...what credit card companies do you guys have that covers trip cancellation? I just got through buying two more insurance policies for our future cruises in 2017

We have capital one venture and it covers some money if you die or lose a limb. There is a baggage delay but nothing about trip interruption or cancellation.

I personally have the Chase Sapphire card which includes a ton of benefits which can be found here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphireVW15

Of course, there's the usual exclusions like any other insurance policy because that's exactly what this is...an insurance policy.

FWIW, there is a $95 annual fee for this card but for just the benefits alone I feel the annual fee is worth that, not to mention the "rewards" are not too shabby either.

Citi Double Cash Card

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-double-cash-credit-card

Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection*

Travel plans can go awry for many reasons. If certain unforeseen events get in the way of your trip, you may be reimbursed for non-refundable trip expenses, like change fees, up to $1,500 per rolling year provided you paid for the trip with your Citi card.

Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance*

Travel with more peace of mind when you pay for your trip with your Citi card. Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance is a type of coverage that you hope to never need, but it may offer some financial help to you or your loved ones if a tragic accident does occur, up to $250,000 in compensation.

Worldwide Car Rental Insurance

Be more confident at the rental car counter — you may be covered against theft or damage up to $50,000 for any rental car in any country when you pay with your Citi card and decline the rental company's collision loss/damage insurance.