Global Entry System

KirkNC

I think you mean the TSA (tsa.gov), right? The agent that wouldn't accept the GE card would be with the TSA not CBP.

CBP sponsors the GE program. TSA does the airport screening. I suggested starting with CBP so their bureaucrat can contact TSA's bureaucrat to make sure all TSA employees are made aware of the program.

CBP sponsors the GE program. TSA does the airport screening. I suggested starting with CBP so their bureaucrat can contact TSA's bureaucrat to make sure all TSA employees are made aware of the program.

Federal bureaucrats talking to other federal bureaucrats, that sounds like a recipe for resolution. ;)

We recently found out about the US Customs Mobile Passport Control program and we're wondering if any of you have tried it yet? In a nutshell you use their app to speed up the process of going through US CUSTOMS when Co I got back into the country try.

The mobile app enables you to fill out an electronic version of the customs declaration form. However, if you are a Global Entry member, the customs declaration form is completed at the kiosk when you scan your passport, pose for a photo, and present your fingerprints.

Two different customs employees at EWR advised me that the mobile passport app is unnecessary if you are a Global Entry member. Based on my experience and on that advice, I have uninstalled the mobile passport app.

At EWR on a Monday afternoon, there was absolutely nobody in the Global Entry line. I was able to jump ahead of dozens and dozens of people who were in the standard lines.

Four of us will be on the northbound Noordam departing Vancouver on 9/4. All four of us are US citizens with Global Entry Program. Will this help us at all getting through immigration at Canada Place before boarding our ship?

Federal bureaucrats talking to other federal bureaucrats, that sounds like a recipe for resolution. ;)

Actually our interview CBP agent warned us that despite their efforts we might occasionally find a TSA agent who didn't know about or recognize the GE card as an authorized ID. It's gotten better but early on when they started issuing ID cards it actually was worse. Had a friend told by a TSA agent "We don't permit the use of ID cards issued by a foreign government." :eek::D

Actually our interview CBP agent warned us that despite their efforts we might occasionally find a TSA agent who didn't know about or recognize the GE card as an authorized ID. It's gotten better but early on when they started issuing ID cards it actually was worse. Had a friend told by a TSA agent "We don't permit the use of ID cards issued by a foreign government." :eek::D

I have to admit, the GE cards are just a little bit "funky" looking (maybe it's the horrible black and white photo or lack of anything indicating "United States of America" on the front) and if they aren't being used by a lot of folks for TSA ID, maybe some agents wouldn't recognize them or think they were "foreign." Still, that's a funny story.

Edited by joepeka

I have to admit, the GE cards are just a little bit "funky" looking (maybe it's the horrible black and white photo or lack of anything indicating "United States of America" on the front) and if they aren't being used by a lot of folks for TSA ID, maybe some agents wouldn't recognize them or think they were "foreign." Still, that's a funny story.

Between the photo quality.....some good some just plain awful.....and the lack of clearly showing it's an official ID issued by the Federal government are problems. I carry it when I'm traveling Internationally but rely on my driver's license for domestic travel.

Between the photo quality.....some good some just plain awful.....and the lack of clearly showing it's an official ID issued by the Federal government are problems. I carry it when I'm traveling Internationally but rely on my driver's license for domestic travel.

I always use my GE card. The TSA agent doesn't need to know my address and that I will be leaving town.

Never encountered one that didn't know it was an official government ID.

Edited by Typhoon1

The mobile app enables you to fill out an electronic version of the customs declaration form. However, if you are a Global Entry member, the customs declaration form is completed at the kiosk when you scan your passport, pose for a photo, and present your fingerprints.

Two different customs employees at EWR advised me that the mobile passport app is unnecessary if you are a Global Entry member. Based on my experience and on that advice, I have uninstalled the mobile passport app.

At EWR on a Monday afternoon, there was absolutely nobody in the Global Entry line. I was able to jump ahead of dozens and dozens of people who were in the standard lines.

Thanks Stuart for the heads up! We're going to at least try it on our next international flight just to see if there is any advantage coming back into the US. If nothing else it will give us something to do during the 15 minute trek to the gate after we touch down. If it allows us to bypass the Customs kiosks that might be just enough of a perk to use it. We love the TSA Precheck perk we get with the GE card.

I always use my GE card. The TSA agent doesn't need to know my address and that I will be leaving town.

Never encountered one that didn't know it was an official government ID.

Most frequent flyers figure TSA personnel have little to no time to remember the literally hundreds if not thousands of IDs they see during a swift. Obviously they know you're leaving town else you wouldn't have a plane ticket.

And that person votes!

And that person votes!

Unfortunately TSA hasn't exactly always attracted the best and brightest. Here we get a pretty good crew as many are retired military and TSA provides a good salary and package of benefits for somebody looking to supplement their retirement. Helps that San Antonio is a relatively lower average salary scale area so TSA competes well. Where TSA gets less than the best are cities with more job opportunities and higher average salaries. Like any profession you get what you pay for and while some TSA officers are good to great others are poor to horrible.

Edited by Randyk47

Four of us will be on the northbound Noordam departing Vancouver on 9/4. All four of us are US citizens with Global Entry Program. Will this help us at all getting through immigration at Canada Place before boarding our ship?

Ten BorderXpress Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks are available for use by eligible US and Canadian passengers at the Canada Place cruise terminal.

I also got a 6 year expiration. My birthday was the week before so they did it for 6 years. Made no sense to me but I took it!

My birthday was the month prior to final GE approval so mine too is good for six years (5 years 11 months actually). So I guess the message is: if you have the flexibility (and the interview schedules permit), schedule your interview for right after your birthday and get an extra year for your $100.

Edited by joepeka

My updates. Small regional airport TSA agent took my GE card but admitted he'd only seen one other and it was just last week. And GE does not assist in entering Canada via an airport. I waited 1.5 hours to scan my passport then got sent for 2 additional screenings.

My updates. Small regional airport TSA agent took my GE card but admitted he'd only seen one other and it was just last week. And GE does not assist in entering Canada via an airport. I waited 1.5 hours to scan my passport then got sent for 2 additional screenings.

Why would you show your Global Entry Card to a TSA agent? Your boarding card should be printed with the words “TSA Pre-check”, which allows you to go through the “Pre-Check” screening line at the airport of departure. This is part of the Global Entry program. Of course, you must give your “trusted traveler” number to the airline when you purchase your ticket.

As for re-entering via a Canadian Airport, why would you expect that it would work in Canada? The Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. It is not intended for entering other countries.

Since being enrolled in the program, I’ve never again had to go through the Immigration line for processing. After scanning my passport and fingerprints at the kiosk, I take the printed receipt from the kiosk and proceed straight to baggage claim to retrieve my baggage. Then I give the printed receipt to the Customs Officer as I exit baggage claim.

Why would you show your Global Entry Card to a TSA agent? Your boarding card should be printed with the words “TSA Pre-check”, which allows you to go through the “Pre-Check” screening line at the airport of departure. This is part of the Global Entry program. Of course, you must give your “trusted traveler” number to the airline when you purchase your ticket.

As for re-entering via a Canadian Airport, why would you expect that it would work in Canada? The Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. It is not intended for entering other countries.

Since being enrolled in the program, I’ve never again had to go through the Immigration line for processing. After scanning my passport and fingerprints at the kiosk, I take the printed receipt from the kiosk and proceed straight to baggage claim to retrieve my baggage. Then I give the printed receipt to the Customs Officer as I exit baggage claim.

In response to your first paragraph, not all airlines or airports are currently involved in Pre✓. In some cases, showing your card is still a necessity.

Reference your second paragraph, alwaysfrantic stated that "GE does not assist in entering Canada via an airport". Nothing to do with "re-entering via a Canadian Airport". Moreover, the majority of Canadian airports with regularly scheduled flights to the US have pre-clearance, and Global Entry is available at all pre-clearance airports.

I think the comment was about using the GE card as an acceptable form of ID in lieu of a driver's license, passport, passport card, military ID, or other acceptable ID. You don't need your GE, or any other Trusted Traveler program ID, to get access to the PreCheck lane. Truth is, while there have been reported exceptions, if PreCheck isn't annotated on your boarding pass you're not supposed to be able to get in the lane with any card.

I also got a 6 year expiration. My birthday was the week before so they did it for 6 years. Made no sense to me but I took it!

I was discussing this with DH last night over dinner so he took his GE card out of his wallet. His Birthday is March 27th and it was issued March 23, 2016 and his Expiration is March 27 2021 so he only got 5 yrs and it was issued just 4 days prior to his birthday. Mine was issued two weeks earlier in March of this year but with my birthday Nov 24, it does not expire till Nov 24, 2021.

Global Entry is for US citizens entering the US.

No reason to show it to a TSA agent either.

Global Entry is for US citizens entering the US.

No reason to show it to a TSA agent either.

Actually Global Entry membership and benefits are available to US citizens, permanent US residents, and citizens from United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Panama, South Korea and Mexican nationals.

Again, the only reason to show a TSA officer your GE card would be as a form of acceptable ID.

Edited by Randyk47

Most frequent flyers figure TSA personnel have little to no time to remember the literally hundreds if not thousands of IDs they see during a swift. Obviously they know you're leaving town else you wouldn't have a plane ticket.

But they don't know my address.