Jan 2016 World Cruise live report

Waynetor

The origin of the name Cochin is blurred in history but in 1996, its name was changed to Kochi but many people still refer the city by its earlier name. Kochi is a major port city on the west coast of India by the Arabian Sea. The city straddles the backwaters, encompassing the northern end of a peninsula, several islands and a portion of the mainland.

Portuguese navigator, Pedro Álvares Cabral founded the first European settlement in India at Kochi in 1500. The first European explorer to set sail for India, Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama died here on a later voyage Christmas Eve 1524 and was buried at St Francis Church until his remains were returned to Portugal in 1539.

Kochi has a cosmopolitan culture, highly influenced by historical trading partners, Portuguese, Dutch, Arab, Chinese, and Japanese. Although 47% of the population practice Hinduism, Christianity's large following (35%) makes Kochi a city with one of the largest Christian populations in India. Malayalam is the main language of communication and medium of instruction for primary education, although a number of schools do offer English medium education. The higher education is invariably in English medium, and it is the preferred language in business circles.

Kochi has been ranked the 6th best tourist destination in India according to a survey conducted by the Nielsen Company. The Fort Kochi area features the famous massive Chinese fishing nets. It is believed that traders from the court of the Chinese ruler Kublai Khan introduced these nets here. Outside China these nets are found only here. A whole stretch of the coast along Fort Kochi and Vypeen are dotted with these nets. Other sites in the Fort Kochi area are the beach, St. Francis Church (the oldest church built by Europeans in India), and Vasco House (believed to be one of the oldest Portuguese houses in India. Vasco da Gama is believed to have lived there). Besides the Fort Kochi area there are the Jewish synagogue built in 1568 (most of the Jewish community has left the area), Palliport Fort (the oldest surviving European fort in India, built by the Portuguese in 1503), a couple palaces, museum and the Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary a protected bird sanctuary situated right in the heart of Kochi city.

Previously we had done a 60 day cruise as well as doing a 48 day followed 6 days later a 21 day cruise but now having past the 60th day we are now reached our longest personal consecutive voyage on a ship by one day. Hard to imagine that we have just passed the one third mark but the full w/c passengers still seem to be enjoying the experience – haven’t met anyone that is tired/bored.

Only making 2 port calls in India only gives us a very small glimpse into this diverse and fascinating country.

On our previous time here we did a tour with Cochin Magic. Due to the immigration checks that we had to go through, the tour started a half hour late and ended up being quite rushed. We went to the oldest Christian church (where Vasco de Gama was originally buried) and the oldest Synagogue in the Jewish quarter, an area were fishing is done in the old Chinese cantilever method.

We then did a drive of about 70km (43mi) to an area that has a lot of rice paddies. Part of the ride was semi highway and part through busy streets. We passed an elephant walking along the road. The area has canals that lead to a large lake. We took a nice ride in an Indian version of a house boat for about an hour and half and then back to the ship. The canal area is backwater in that at high tide water from the sea comes in. The canals are manmade with earth or brick edges. The rice fields behind them are just below sea level. The drive back was another 1.5 hours which got us to the ship just in time for final boarding.

I thought the driving in other ports was crazy but in Cochin the driving is a white knuckle experience for passengers not used to it. Our driver spent half the time it seemed honking the horn. He would pass just about any time expecting the oncoming traffic to move onto the shoulder so he could keep going. At one red light traffic lined up 4 across to see who would get into the single lane first. When one vehicle is being passed and another driver thinks they are not passing fast enough the second passer will go 3 wide to complete a double pass. The amazing thing is there was very little sign of anything like road rage. The blaring of horns is done more as a sign “Beware, I am here” instead of any kind of anger.

Today, with 15 other passengers, I did a very similar tour while Freda stayed on Insignia. We again had to go through immigration. Our papers were checked at the bottom of the ramp both existing and boarding the ship on return.

This tour cost 4,570RS that had to be paid in rupees. While I knew the first couple stops at the church and the fishing nets would be the same, the description of the boat ride part made it sound different than what I had done before but it was the same. The church and fishing net are across the road from each other. The interior of the church is undergoing renovation and the interior front was all scaffolding. The area was swarming with vendors each walking around with a handful of items for sale. They are really in your face, while they generally take ‘no’ for an answer, and soon as you take a couple steps there is another, often with the same thing you just said ‘no’ to. While I have seen a lot of garbage on beaches before, the shore around the fishing net area looked like a tsunami came ashore yesterday. There are no fish left in the area. The few nets that are left are just there as a tourist demo site where the operators hope to get tips for photos.

On the way out of Cochin we did pass an area where the old Chinese cantilever fishing nets were being used but being off shore they are not as big a tourist site.

On our boat ride we had a nice Indian lunch that included fruit, chicken, fish, rice and a couple other dishes. Today we did take another route through the canals passing many other boats doing similar trips. We were told there are about 1,500 of these houseboats, mostly with 1 or 2 bedrooms, some have a second floor. The one thing I noticed that had changed in the past few years is in several places the small homes used by the rice farmers are being replaced by very nice new homes for vacationers.

On our modern 20 seat bus we had a guide, driver and helper. The driver and helper were up front behind glass which was probably best as he could not hear us screaming with each near miss.

Modes of transportation are just like in Mangalore. Motorcycle drivers need to wear helmets but passengers don’t.

Yesterday I only saw 2 American companies – a single KFC and a single McDonalds, today only saw a Subway sandwich ad.

One of the great delights of a long voyage is the wealth of days. There isn’t any sense of urgency one may feel on short cruise.

Today was turn-over day for our nightly show entertainers. Four got off and 4 new acts got on. We started tonight with a comedian from Britain (Stevie Jo). He did very good act, a nice change from what had been mostly musicians with one Broadway singer.

Our guide made reference to the Hot Air balloon rides using masculine terms to describe the balloons. I asked how she knew a balloon was male. She said they are male because, to get it to go anywhere, you have to light a fire under it, and of course, there's the hot air part.

Today’s quote for the day -“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw

I thought the driving in other ports was crazy but in Cochin the driving is a white knuckle experience for passengers not used to it. Our driver spent half the time it seemed honking the horn. He would pass just about any time expecting the oncoming traffic to move onto the shoulder so he could keep going. At one red light traffic lined up 4 across to see who would get into the single lane first. When one vehicle is being passed and another driver thinks they are not passing fast enough the second passer will go 3 wide to complete a double pass. The amazing thing is there was very little sign of anything like road rage. The blaring of horns is done more as a sign “Beware, I am here” instead of any kind of anger.

On our modern 20 seat bus we had a guide, driver and helper. The driver and helper were up front behind glass which was probably best as he could not hear us screaming with each near miss.

Thanks for the vivid reminder of our road trip in India. (A majority of the trucks have signs on their back asking that horns be honked while passing). As I recall it takes about 4 full days to transform from "white knuckle" to "ho hum" travelers on the road.

Today is the first of 3 sea days in a row. We are sailing around the tip of India and then around the island of Sri Lanka. The channel around the north coast of Sir Lanka would be shorter but is not navigable for ships this large.

It is another nice day to be at sea – mostly sunny, bit of a breeze and waves around 1.5 M (4-5ft.) in the morning and calmer later. Good chance to catch up on some other internet things.

Reports are the trip to see the Taj Mahal was very tiring but well worth it.

Tonight we had a shared table in the Polo Grill. The table was set for 7. The 3 couples arrived near on time while we waited for the single. Our waiter waited for a half hour before giving up and taking our order which pushed back everything else as everyone that came I at the same time got their orders in ahead of us. You get a remainder on your cabin door so if you are not going to show up, please let them know.

We got a notice today that our arrival in Myanmar will be an hour late (there is no issue on our side so must be a traffic control issue there). The notice also moved up our departure time from 4PM to 1:30PM. The notice gave details on the impact on the Oceania excursions. The notice says for the ‘Yangon on your own’ tour the revised duration is now 5 and a quarter MINUTES – doesn’t sound like there is a lot to see there – a drive to the port gate and you walk back should just abut do it.

My update to the handicap cabin post from a couple days ago – The lady currently in one, booked the cruise 10 days before sailing. She does not have an assignment for the next segment so it is not clear if there is an opening at that time. No explanation on where the breakdown in communication was when we asked the front desk if anything comes available to let us know and someone then offering a cabin and no link being made plus no explanation on why we did not get that cabin when we had asked to be on a waiting list many months prior to sailing. The good news is Head Office has said that we can move for the Sydney to Los Angles 2 segments – about 5 weeks. They also said the 2 others handicap cabins are booked for the full w/c so no other option as they will not ask someone to move regardless of any need or not. For all we know these people were given these cabins as a ‘guarantee’ cabin and did not book them intentionally.

I spent some time today on the treadmill in the gym. There was a lady on the machine next to me and after a bit another lady came in and started using the machine next to the first ladies. After they had been talking a bit the second lady made a comment indicating she thought I was the other ladies husband. My workout neighbour let her know “Oh no, he is not my husband. My husband doesn't need a physical fitness program. He gets plenty of exercise by jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down my sisters, flogging our kids, knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility as well as pushing his luck” I quickly added, “That eliminates me, I’ve never met her sisters or children”.

Today’s quote for the day - "We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." - Jawaharlal Nehru

Make sure you do the Schwengon (spelling?) temple while in Yangon. It is beautiful and well worth going to see. The market is also interesting even though there are too many jewelry stores for my liking. The problem is that unless you know your stones, you don't know if you are getting the real thing or not. Lots of wooden carvings, cloth and lacquer items. They will bargain to a certain extent. Usually 10% less. There is a lovely park in the city as well. The colonial buildings are worth taking a look at as well. We just got back from Myanmar a week ago and enjoyed our visit. The temple has an elevator so your wife would be able to see it. Taxis are reasonable, but get the price set before you get in one.

Another 1 hour time change overnight.

Today is another nice weather day. Bit breezy and cloudier but still beats what is at home

This morning at 11 they did another ‘County fair’ event up on deck 9. It was similar to the one done on the last segment with officers and crew running country fair type booths where we could win draw tickets. the prizes were varied from a key chain to spa treatments. CD Andy said, it was great that the various departments got out and did something out of the normal routine and met new people. I'm not sure he asked the deck crew that spent near 2 hours cleaning up and replacing all the furniture plus the time they spent removing/setting up before the show.

Tonight we are having our 2nd diner for all those on the full voyage. This time it starts at 6:45 (last time it was a bit later making it hard for some people to get to the show). They are taking over both specialty dining rooms for this event. These events are very thoughtful in that you get to meet other 180 day passengers BUT the menu is set at 2 appetizers, a choice of 2 main coarse and a single desert so unless you like the free wine and meeting selected passengers it is not for everyone. The main coarse were Cod or Veal medallion. All the small table in Polo Grill were converted to tables of 8 to 10. I'm not sure how they decide but most tables had no senior staff while others had 2.

Today’s thought for the day – “Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made.”- Robert N. Rose

We are blessed with another sunny day with some puffy clouds with temp reaching 28c (82F). Seas are on the calm side. We are sailing through the Bay of Bengal.

We got an unwelcome wakeup call early (by our standard) today. When we were in our cabin yesterday afternoon we could hear work being done above our cabin. The work started again this morning at 8AM. Sounds like a lot of sawing of a pipe or other metal plus other banging noises that just goes on and on. While the day time work is reasonable, it would be nice to hold off other work until at least 9AM.

We had our 3rd muster drill of this segment today. From the time the ships whistles were blown until the end it was 35 minutes. Our group went out on deck as instructed and waited there about 10 minutes before the other group from the lounge came out. With no explanation of what was going on, it makes one wonder what kind of communication there would be in an emergency and how fast they could get life boats loaded.

At 6 tongight they did a passenger talent show that was excellent. There were 2 magicians, a story teller,4 singers and 1 dance group.

we were able to see a handicap cabin today. The washroom has a tub but the shower head reaches out to the main part where there is a large drain. A person can shower in their chair there or transfer to a shower seat.

The noro situation continues. I heard at the muster drill today one person that was not there was due to being in quarantine. In general the ship is being very careful but I was surprised at yesterday's Country Fair the number of items being handled by many people.

Tomorrow we arrive in South East Asia. These destinations offer so much;historically, culturally, religiously and scenically. In addition to the wonderful sites there is the food, the activities, something for everyone to enjoy. After this relaxing stretch, everyone is looking forward to the new experiences.

I got talking to the doctor today while he was walking along the promenade. I asked him if he had any special advice for those doing long voyages. His reply was about the importance of hand washing as 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhoea. That got me thinking...does that mean that 1 out of 5 enjoy it?

Today’s thought for the day - The journey, not the arrival matters. - T.S. Eliot

We are blessed with another sunny day with some puffy clouds with temp reaching 28c (82F). Seas are on the calm side. We are sailing through the Bay of Bengal.

Tomorrow we arrive in South East Asia. These destinations offer so much;historically, culturally, religiously and scenically. In addition to the wonderful sites there is the food, the activities, something for everyone to enjoy. After this relaxing stretch, everyone is looking forward to the new experiences.

I got talking to the doctor today while he was walking along the promenade. I asked him if he had any special advice for those doing long voyages. His reply was about the importance of hand washing as 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhoea. That got me thinking...does that mean that 1 out of 5 enjoy it?

Today’s thought for the day - The journey, not the arrival matters. - T.S. Eliot

BIB had me laughing out loud, although I know it's no laughing matter.

I'm glad the weather has been kind and you've enjoyed the chance to relax. We really loved the SE Asia segment that we did last year and we still can't believe we did it. It was amazing! Have a great time.

Sella

Wayne,

I love your sense of humour and your jokes at the end of each instalment. Thanks for spending the time to write the Blog as it must take a lot of your spare time. We have been to quite a few of the ports you have visited and it is great to relive them through your writing. We too used Magic Tours last year when we visited both Cochin and Mumbai and found them to be excellent. We also visited Myanmar, and spent a day in Yangon which we was interesting though extremely hot and humid. We did love the lovely park and lake where we had lunch at a restaurant and the huge golden Shwedagon Pagoda.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Republic of the Union of Myanmar, commonly shortened to Myanmar in Southeast Asia bordered by China, Thailand, India, Laos and Bangladesh. One-third of Burma's total perimeter of 1,930km (1,200 mi) forms an uninterrupted coastline along the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea. Its population of over 60 million makes it the world's 24th most populous country.

The country was under military control from the coup d’etat in 1962 until 2011. Since then the country's foreign relationships have improved rapidly, especially with major powers such as the European Union, Japan, and the USA. Trade and other economic sanction, for example, imposed by the European Union and the United States, have now been eased. In 1989, the military government officially changed the English translations of many names dating back to Burma’s colonial period, including that of the country itself: "Burma" became "Myanmar". The renaming remains a contested issue. Many political and ethnic opposition groups and countries continue to use "Burma" because they do not recognise the legitimacy of the ruling military government.

Burma is one of 3 countries along with Liberia and the USA that has not adopted the metric system as their official system of weights and measures. In June 2011, the Burmese government began discussing proposals to reform the measurement system and adopt the metric system used by most of its trading partners.

In the 2004 Boxing Day Indian Ocean earthquake the death toll here was estimated 400 – 600 but the government is believed to have hidden the real results which were likely in the many thousands.

Burma is another of the countries that set time zones in 30-minute increment difference from most other countries.

Buddhism is the religion of about 85% of the population.

Yangon also known as Rangoon, (literally: "End of Strife") is a former capital of Myanmar and the capital of Yangon Region. Although the military government has officially relocated the capital to Naypyidaw since March 2006, Yangon, with a population of between 4 and 5.3 million (estimate since no official census has been conducted since 1983) continues to be the country's largest city and the most important commercial centre. The former British colonial capital has the highest number of colonial period buildings in Southeast Asia. Downtown Yangon is still mainly made up of decaying colonial buildings. As the capital is shifted to Naypyidaw, former national government buildings such as the massive Secretariat Building have been left to rot.

Burmese is the principal language of the city with English by far the preferred 2nd language of the educated class.

The city is dubbed ‘The Garden City of the East’ due to its beautiful lakes such as Kandawgyiand park.

The average high temperature in March is 36C (96F) but March is part of the dry season.

Today was a solid sunny day with temps expected to be 38C (101F) but it not seem that hot. Approaching Rangoon the seas were very calm.

While having breakfast we passed a long line of fishing boats. They were in a horizontal line as far as the eye could see. I noticed the sea there was quite brown. It would get a lot worse, as were we docked it was extremely murky – much worse than it was in the Amazon.

The pilot came on around 11:45 for our 50km (31mi) sail up river to the port. The land is quite flat and there was not much of interest to see along the river.

The best thing on board today was the brunch served in the Main Dining room from 10:00 to 1:30. It was the same items as served on the prior segment.

Myanmar has only been open for tourism for a few years but the country is coming out of its shell as businesses geared to the tourism trade are becoming popular. The local population seem very friendly and honest without a lot a pressure and traps aimed at tourist. So far there are not a lot of hotels but they are coming – back packing tourism is popular for those wanting to see more of the country.

The local currency is the Kyat (pronounced Chat). We were told Money exchangers are common but museum and temple entry fees are charged to tourists in US dollars. Sandalwood carvings are very popular with tourist due to the pleasant smell of the wood while similar carving made of cedar are cheaper but do not have as pleasant smell.

As soon as possible we will be getting off the ship for a small group tour with ProNiti Travel. Our tour started as soon as we could get off the ship.With 11 of us doing the tour the cost was $40US per person. Included was an air conditioned van, English speaking guide, and all entrance fees. We were asked to ensure that the bills are in pristine condition.

The highlight of the tour was the Shwedagon Pagoda which was over an hour from the port. The Shwedagon Pagoda or Paya is the single most important religious site in all of Myanmar as well as the #1 tourist attraction in Yangon. The pagoda stands on the top of Singuttara Hill, and according to legend, that spot has been sacred since the beginning of time. The pagoda is vast and complex and is an interesting place for tourist (cost 8,000Kyat or about $5US and no shoes, socks or short shorts allowed). It is free for Buddist to attend. There was a small souvenir shop by the entrance.

We had about 2 hours capturing Shwedagon in the full daylight and dusk. Pagodas close at night and unlike monasteries, no one lives at the site. The Shwedagon Pagoda is a 2,600 year old series of structures covering over 35 acres that just takes your breath away. The enormous stupa in the middle is covered with gold leaf and is crowned by a 76-carat diamond at the top. It’s surrounded by dozens of intricately decorated buildings, smaller pagodas, and statues. The shrine was crowded with many tourist but seemed people from Myanmar were the majority. There were also many Buddhist monks and nuns, some as young as 5, since every good Buddhist is supposed to serve at least a short period in this service.

Our guide twice warned us if we get separated where to meet. This was good because several people said they did not hear the first warning and after the second warning 1 person did get lost. He was able to meet us at the gate.

Originally we were to then have dinner with a cultural show at Karaweik Palace (extra $39) before heading back to the ship around 9:30 but with our late arrival that plan was scrapped –our driver noted in the show there is no English so it is hard for some people to fallow.We did pass where the show was. It is in an area with a large artificial lake. The lake had raised boardwalks around it and included some islands and water lilies – unfortunately no time to stop there.

From Shwedagon Pagoda we went to see a giant reclining Buddha for about 20 minutes before starting our trip back to the ship.

Our last stop was a quick photo stop at Kandawgyi Park to get a different perspective of the pagoda all lit up.

With many tours getting back around the same time (9:30) the ship kept the Terrace Café open until 10 which was nice as most tours did not have time for a meal.

Our stops on this tour were wheelchair friendly (I saw a few) but Freda decided to stay on the ship to avoid issues getting on and off the shuttle bus and our tour bus. Shwedagon Pagoda is mostly nice, smooth marble tiles with just a few places with steps but there are ramps around them.

Myanmar was very different than many of the ports we have been to on this voyage. Comparatively it is very clean. The roads are paved, although it was a bit of a bumpy ride. There was very little honking of horns. There are no Tuk-Tuks in the Yangon area. Motor cycles are allowed outside the city but not in the city. Drivers use the same side of the road as in North America, but most vehicles are equipped for driving on the other side so many buses/trucks have a helper to keep an extra eye and give hand signals.

The culture here is quite unique. A very common clothing item is the longyi. On the men, it is tied in the front and worn to look like pants in the front and a skirt in the back. On women, it is tied on the side and looks just like a long skirt. It is perfect apparel for the hot climate, being open and cool.

Due to the unique laws of the country, street crime is almost nonexistent. Pickpockets/Muggers receive a mandatory 5 year incarceration unless they can pay large fees to reduce the sentence and the city is policed mostly by non-uniformed police. These two unique features of Myanmar means you are unlikely to experience any crime during your visit. The most common issue tourist may have is being short changed while exchanging currency.

Today is the 1st exclusive shore event for those doing the full voyage. This time there are 2 options – Royal Mandalay – the last royal capitol of the Myanmar Empire, or Ancient Temples of Bagan the first capital of a unified Myanmar Empire. We choose Royal Mandalay. The destination desk was not able to provide us any information on the hotel, washroom facilities along the way, buses used or whether we would have to climb stairs to get on the plane or provide any assistance in any manner. All we able to get from the desk was a general description of the itinerary so despite paying a chuck of cash as part of our cruise we decided not to go.

The description for this overnight tour was:

Day 1 We leave the ship early for our transfer and flight to Mandalay.

On arrival, first visit Mandalay’s impressive marble carving and handicrafts workshops followed by Mahamuni Pagoda, which was so named after the holy image, "Maha Muni" housed therein. This is the second most sacred image in Myanmar next to the Shwedagon Pagoda. The image is said to have been cast in the lifetime of the Gautama Buddha and that Buddha embraced it 7 times thereby bringing it to life. Consequently, devout Buddhists hold it to be alive and refer to it as the Maha Muni Sacred Living Image.

Continue sightseeing to Shwe Kyaung (Golden palace Monastery), a fragile reminder of the old Mandalay Palace as it was originally built inside Mandalay Palace but it was moved to this its current location in 1880. Next visit will be the Kuthodaw Pagoda which is known as the world largest book due to the Buddhist scripture carved on 729 marble slabs.

Transfer to Mandalay Hill Resort for lunch and check-in.

Late in the afternoon, visit Amarapura, Myanmar’s penultimate Royal Capital. There will also be an opportunity to visit Amurapura’s famed handicraft workshops. Sightseeing will include the iconic U Bein Bridge, which spans Taungthaman Lake and is the longest teak footbridge in the world. It is often busy with locals ‘commuting’ back and forth which makes for an attractive photo opportunity. This is the perfect place to enjoy a fabulous sunset at the end of this exciting day.

After return to your hotel for dinner and an overnight.

Day 2 Following breakfast at our hotel we will be transferred to the Mandalay International Airport and depart for Yangon where upon arrival we will be met and transferred to the Thilawa Port to re-board our ship.

The big surprise we got this morning was when we went for breakfast there were no tables being sanitized, the tables had salt, pepper and sugars and we were able to pour our own condiments – looks like the noro situation is finally under control. At lunch time I saw a waiter dancing around as he reset tables. I’m sure they are very happy to see things improve.

On the ship today it has been very quiet. Besides the majority of world cruisers doing this trip, some passengers doing segments also paid to do the trip while others are off doing local tours. I was the only person at shuffleboard and 1 other came to mini-golf. For afternoon trivia on a sea day there are normally 15 teams – today there was 9 people.

Overnight there was a partial solar eclipse here but I did not see it. Today started off a bit hazy but the expected high temp again was 38C (101F). With very little breeze and some humidity it is officially hot.

A couple extra notes from yesterday – something happened with the swimming pool filter – as we entered the river the water in the pool started turning brown. While it never got remotely close to the river condition, it was hard to see the bottom. They closed the pool and by noon today the water was clear but they kept the pool closed. The tubs were not affected.

If you are planning a tour here, make sure you know where you are being picked up. Some operators are allowed in the port while others are not. If yours is not, or you are planning on taking a taxi you will need to take the shuttle to the port gate. Taxi prices are to be negotiated. Also there are no sales of souvenirs at the port.

And final for yesterday was the number of wild dogs we saw. We see them in every port but there was a lot more here. It maybe a Buddhist thing with their reverence for all living things. There are all the same breed, - mid size, short hair but a variety of colours.

With so few people on board today we were able to easily get a nice table in Polo grill for dinner.

8th Today’s thought for the day - "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James A. Michener

9th Today’s thought for the day - I can't think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted. - Bill Bryson

As we have just got back from Myanmar, you made the right decision. There are steps up to the plane and they are difficult to climb for someone who needs assistance. Once you arrive at the domestic airport you have to wait in semi organized chaos to board the bus that will drive you out to the plane. Once you disembark the bus, you will walk under several staff holding umbrellas over your head to shade you while you walk over to the plane. You then have about 5 steps to climb up to the rear door of the plane. The aisle is very narrow for walking up.

The temples are nice to see, but the ground is quite uneven. It is cooler in Mandalay than Yangon though. At the bridge you have to walk down a rocky road and then transfer into a dugout. More than a bit tippy. I don't think your wife could have done it. Lots of hawkers there.

The buses in that area were not as good as the buses in Yangon. Seats quite narrow and the people on our trip who did have some difficulties walking found it difficult to get on and off the bus.

Edited by no fuss travel

Following recent elections, a new government takes over here today – people are hoping for more positive changes. Let’s hope so – they deserve it.

It was posted in the daily Currents not to take food off the ship here but I did not see anyone checking.

The river starts out quite wide and quickly narrows resulting in high tides. Each day they have had to move the gangplank a couple times between deck 4 and deck 5. By the pier there is an old, rickety looking pier made of bamboo poles, at low tide it is completely dry and at high tide it is just under water. It appears to be at least 3m (10ft) tall.

The reports I have heard so far from the overnight trips were very positive. It was the right decision for us to not go. Two couples spent the night of the 8th in the city and went to the airport on the morning of the 9th without telling anyone. The delay in trying to find them caused a bus load of passengers to miss a flight that was not chartered. They waited 2.5 hours for the next flight and missed a market stop in Mandalay.

I was talking to one of the group that just returned from the overnight excursion. One story they told me was: On our return flight it was mealtime. "Would you like dinner?" the flight attendant asked the man seated in front of us. "What are the choices?" he asked. "Yes or No!" she replied.

Today’s related thoughts of the day - Laughter has no foreign accent. - Paul Lowney

Laughter is the shortest distance between 2 people – Victor Borge

Laughter is an instant vacation – Milton Berle

He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much. Bessie Anderson Stanley

Now we have been at sea for over 9 weeks, I thought it would be a good time to do a review of the experience so far. For us there are really 2 types of vacations. Some trips to places like Florida or the Caribbean are enjoyable, but really are just an end to escaping winter weather up north. Then there are voyages such as this that are for creating memories by escaping the ordinary. A trip like this is meant to provide the excitement of adventure, stimulate our senses, engage our minds, and elevate our spirits while creating life long memories in a wonderful environment. With only a short time in most destinations it is hard to get an authentic local experience (especially from a wheelchair) but we are at least trying to see and take in as much as we can. I think many on board are looking at this as a one-time voyage, a real life changing experience.

Ratings in a review are very subjective. Everyone on board has different expectations and experiences so no 2 reviews will be the same. I try to base mine on expectations. In many areas we came on board Insignia with a higher expectation than has been our experience on other cruise lines. To me a 3.5 out of 5 is meeting expectations – while something may be wonderful, I expected it to be wonderful so a less than 5 does not mean there is a problem. Many people give 5s away freely when they are satisfied with how thing went but I find this leaves no room for the exceptional experience. My 3.5 on Insignia would not compare equally with a 3.5 on another cruise line.

Embarkation – commented on before – have not heard of any major issues –rate 4.0

Public rooms Having been on a sister ship owned by Princess, we knew the layout ahead of time but we really liked what Oceania has done with the public areas. The amount of space that is devoted to public space and various venues is considerable, providing us with an opportunity to enjoy a diverse set of areas on the ship. The comfortable lounge chairs around the pool area are a great plus. Rate 3.5

Cabin – we would love a larger room but we have sailed before in a similar cabin for 48 straight days on a Princess ship so knew what we were getting ourselves into. In our condo at home the on-suite washroom and walk in closet are larger than this cabin. I did a quick compare of prices – PH3 was about $195US each more per day and a B2 was over $83 each more per day – I would love to give a review from a far superior cabin – I think on some segment there may be an opening – if anyone would like to see my review all they have to do is send Oceania head office donations in my name in amounts of $10,000 and maybe something can be done.

We had read reviews of the cabins and decor ahead of time. We are quite happy with the cabin. The exception is the bed is not as comfortable as we expected – it seems to slope a bit to the outside. Even though we brought more with us than one would do on a more typical length cruise, we still have storage room for everything. The cabin is too small to move around in a wheelchair in. We fold it up and Freda uses her walker inside the cabin.

Inside cabins on Disney Cruise Line and the brand new RCI Quantum of the Seas have virtual portholes – faux windows that show a real-time video of the view outside the ship. While I have not seen these, I have heard they are quite realistic. It would have been great if something like that could have been done during the last dry dock period. While Insignia has the bridge cam which is shown on the TV, the virtual window option is much better quality and allows you to watch something else on the television. Rate 3.5

Fitness and Recreation

I have not used the fitness room so can’t comment too much other than to say it looks well set-up. The recreation is well managed. They try to mix up the mini-golf games each day but it would be nice to do something other than shuffleboard, table tennis and mini –golf. The country fair they did a while back was a nice addition. The trivia has been very well run with disputes well handled. Rate 3.5

Rates/Value - Determining whether any cruise offers good value is a very personal thing. The old saying "you get what you pay for" does not always apply, but in the case of Oceania it seems you do get what you pay for. While much more than we typically pay on a per day basis but when we look at the ‘value’ we receive, the rates seem affordable. The daily rate for those doing the full voyage is much better than other Oceania cruises, in fact about half the rate of some cruise we looked at, plus this voyage has a lot of inclusive items making it a great value.

I don’t like the way Oceania markets their fares with artificial inflated brochure prices and then sells cruise at 2 for 1 – essentially half price or less the brochure price. The company is run by experience cruise business people so I assume they know what they are doing but I doubt anyone really thinks the 2 for 1 is a great sale price. Overall we are getting the value we expected but we got some extra credits and a spa certificate that was unexpected so I give value a rating of 4.0.

Dining – It is said on Oceania you’re the boss. You can eat when, where and with whom you want while enjoying some of the best meals on land or sea. The one exception to anywhere you want is the limited space in the specialty dining rooms requiring reservations. As noted before we did make some reservations prior to sailing and both extra nights we tried were able to get a table.

Before leaving I did see some reviews that indicated that some people had felt the food quality and service had gone downhill. I think the food has been consistently excellent – the one exception is I had pancakes twice and they were terrible both times. We have been a long way from major ports much of the time but Insignia has been able to keep most items in stock and fresh. There have been some shortages in some fruit but nothing else I noticed. The main dining room menus repeat and the specialty restaurants have a large menu but it does not change at all. In Terrace Café I would like to see more variety at breakfast such as a daily special pancake or special bagel. At a special breakfast they had for 180 day cruisers they offered a couple types of fruit breads – these would be great at the buffet sometimes. One change I would like is some variety of the bread offered at meals – we get the same buns at lunch and dinner every night. The special theme nights in the Café have been a welcome change.

The portion size is usually on the small size but that has not been a problem. Sometimes portions are large such as the Steak Dianne we had a last nights. Portions in the specialty restaurants are large.

The executive chef is out and about quite often in the dining area and is quite approachable which is a nice bonus.

We have only met 1 person that has to have special meals provided and they said it is going very well. Any request we have made has been well handled. Not sure if true, but heard that Oceania has the highest cost per passenger for food – certainly seems realistic.

With the poor reviews we have seen before sailing I will rate dining at 4.0

Entertainment and Enrichment Activities – based on previous reviews, we expected this to be one area where we should not have high hopes. With this being an inaugural world cruise with over a third the passengers doing the full circumference, there was hope that Oceania would do more in this area than is their custom on shorter itineraries. The one thing they did in this area was eliminate production shows so they are no shows repeating segment to segment. Andy Heath is an excellent CD and his staff is also top notch. On a large ship, passengers generally get very little face time with a CD but on smaller ships like Insignia the CD is much more visible and their personality much more important. Andy is everywhere talking to guest – we have shared lunch twice with him and his wife who is also on staff.

While much of the nightly shows have not been to our taste, we understand we all have different tastes when it comes to this area. There was a wide range of offerings and something for everyone. Show times were adjusted based from originally 9:30 to 9:15 – we would prefer the former as it is hard to get from evening trivia to the lounge and get a good seat. So far there has only been one local group come on board to do a show. We are hoping to see more in this area.

I will include the on-board enrichment lectures under this category. I have only attended a few in person but have watched more in our cabin at a later time. Generally they have been well attended with no one being bored. Unlike on some other cruises, I have not had a nap mid-lecture. The presenters have all had a very good delivery to their presentation.

Our expectation for entertainment on this ship was very low. The shows we have been to have been well attended including some with standing room only. The lounge is not terraced but there is a second level around a lower bowl. Some seats offer poor viewing and there are not a lot where it is easy to get a wheelchair into but we try to arrive early enough to get a spot with good viewing.

If rating based on comparison with what is found on large ships I would give a lower rating but based on our lower expectations to start with I would give it a 4.0 rating.

Service – Captain Dimitrios Flokos has his staff keeping us all quite happy.

To this point service has been mostly excellent and feels absolutely genuine—they really want you to have a wonderful cruise. The service is usually accompanied by smiles and a friendly demeanour everywhere on the ship. Many of the staff greet us by name which is very nice (just hope it does not mean we have been flagged in the crew area as someone to watch out for). The crew gives up life at home to ensure our special experiences on board. This usually comes at the high price of being away from their families for many months and they often miss special events such as birth of children and in the case of our room steward the death of a child. We found the whole crew to be happy, not just content in their jobs. That always makes for a more enjoyable cruise.

The crew has been very helpful when they see us approaching the heavy doors on deck 9 to help hold the doors so I can get Freda through them.

We eat dinner about half the time just the 2 of us and the rest sharing with others. Eating at a 2 top is faster but usually sharing. We take 1 hour 30 minutes to 1.45 minutes for dinner – only once were we real late that we left without desert.

The one inconsistency we had was that they will bring you just about any drink you want to where ever you are except the milkshakes and malts are supposed to be ordered and picked up at the venue where they are prepared. Freda in her wheelchair was told they would not bring her one but she would have to go get it herself but I have seen people at breakfast have them brought to their tables in the Terrace Café.

The crew did a wonderful job through the recent noro situation.

We have not used room service so can not comment on that service.

In general the speed and reliability of the Internet has not been too bad. Of course it will never be the same as at home. There were a few times when the Internet was very slow or even not available. As the internet experience is just not going to always be the same depending on where one is sailing or if there is equipment or some other issues, passengers may have different experiences with one person saying how wonderful the internet is and another person saying it was not good.

Rate 4.0

Shore Excursions

The contact we have had with this department has been very poor. Most of the complaints we have heard are related to this department. My apologies if wrong, but I have been told by other staff that this department has some input on where the shuttles go in ports. For the most part the destinations have been to shopping places nowhere near the main tourist sites and in places where it is hard to walk to the tourist sites. On the good side they have had to deal with arrival times that changed with short notice impacting tours and these seemed to have gone as good as expected.

Rate 2.0

I wanted to give special thanks to a few crew

Anna in the computer room and Ricardo, the 180 day concierge have both helped us and many other passengers tremendously. Tricia, the 180 day social hostess went beyond the call of duty in her help of Betsy, Don Horner’s wife following his passing on the ship.

Bayu our room steward and Arnold a waiter we frequently have also been great.

Today we are sailing in the Andaman Sea.

Despite having been sailing for about 4.5 hours before sun set, the sea last night was still very dirty. This morning it was nice and clear again. The sea is very calm. The temp is around 28C (82F) with a hazy sunshine – a perfect day to be a sea.

Despite sailing near straight south with just a bit of easterly swing we had a 1 hour time change last night and will do a half hour tonight.

This morning there was a very nice memorial service in honour of Don Horner. Guest were invited to add to a video that will be sent to his wife.

Tomorrow I am doing a tour with Ocean Jupiter Tours. The plan is to visit the Spice Garden, Kek Lok Si Temple, Botanical Garden, Reclining Buddha, Khoo Longsi, and War Museum--or as much as we can see in 6 hours.

This afternoon we were sitting out by the promenade deck when two guys, one old and one young, were wandering around the deck when they collide into each other. The older guy said to the younger guy, "Sorry about that, I'm looking for my wife, and I guess I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. "The young guy said, "That's OK. It's a coincidence. I'm looking for my wife, too. I can't find her and I'm getting a little desperate." The old guy said, "Well, maybe we can help each other. What does your wife look like?" The young guy said, "Well, she is 24 years old, tall, with blonde hair, blue eyes, long legs, big boobs, and she's wearing tight white shorts, a halter top and no bra. What does your wife look like?" The older guy says, "Doesn't matter -- let's look for yours."

Today’s thought for the day - Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.

Thank you, Wayne, for such a balanced and thoughtful review, and I liked the way you explained your scoring system.

Your doing a great job with your postings and providing a marvellous resource for anyone else thinking of doing a world cruise.

Appreciate your explanation of your rating system. That is the best explanation I have ever read on the Cruise Critic Boards.(please realize that I don't read all of the boards, only the ones relevant to me)

I love you little stories. I look forward each day to reading them.

Your review was spot on in my books, using your rating system.

Many thanks for your fulsome reporting, and the invariable concluding chuckle. Much appreciated.

As we are soon to be in your "neck of the ocean," might you be willing to share some clothing recommendations - India, Myanmar, Vietnam, and the like? Would be very grateful.

Well I have come in the computer room at home to have my nightly fix. I have so enjoyed these posts.

We are off to Hurghada in Egypt on Sunday so I am hoping that the WiFi is good so I can keep up.

Enjoy your trip and thank you