Jan 2016 World Cruise live report

Waynetor

It looks like you are at the new terminal which used to be the old airport. The old terminal has the shopping mall. Nothing of much interest there in my opinion, children's clothing, ladies' clothing, expensive suitcases, expensive stores, restaurants.

Sometime between 9 and 11 last night the ship docked in front of us left and by the time we got up this morning the Cunard ship Queen Mary had replaced her.

Today started out pretty dreary…* It was really overcast, bit breezy and bit cool for my taste.* Thankfully, the threat of rain, stayed as just a threat.

Like so many of our fellow guests and the crew, we are looking forward to our time in Hong Kong. It was unfortunate not to be docked at Ocean Terminal. That terminal contains a very large mall which is great for guests who want to stay close to the ship and also for the crew who do not have a lot of time to go ashore.* If docked there, once you make your way out of the terminal you would be in walking distance of many places from restaurants to stores to various sights to see and even to the Ferry docks.*

As we were not docked there, we took a taxi there to see what all the reports where about.* The ride cost $106HKD and took about 30 minutes. The famous Clock Tower by the ferry docks was all wrapped in scaffolding.* Most of the promenade on the stretch from the Clock tower toward the Avenue of Stars is all closed for a construction project that will last at least 2 more years.*

There are a few souvenir shops near the ferry terminal but most shops are selling items similar as what we would find at home.*

Along Canton Rd. are a lot of high end stores such as L. Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, G. Arnami etc.* We saw a few Rolex watch stores in the area.* We were also approached numerous times by people selling watches and several trying to hand us business cards - I did not take them but think they were for tailors.

The big disappointment for us was the shopping experience - we went into some of the malls with 100's of stores but found them very wheelchair unfriendly - there are stairs and escalators everywhere but trying to find elevators was very difficult.* There were very few signs.* Several times we ended up in freight elevators.* At time we would get to a new floor, see a few stores and then be met by more stairs to see the rest of the floor.* We were in Ocean Terminal and got to the end where there was an escalator going to the 2nd floor.* At the bottom were 3 Cunard reps directing arriving passengers for the Queen Victoria up the escalator.* We asked how to get up in a wheelchair and they had no idea.* They sent us to some other Cunard reps who also did not know - I wonder what they would do if a real Cunard passenger was trying to get on the ship - these reps are all locals just hired to do this job for a day.***

One buildings when we got off the elevator at the ground floor, we were met by 5 steps so we had to get back on and go up and search for another way out of the building.* After 2 hours of spending more time searching for elevators than shopping we gave up and decided to just explore the area outside some more.*

We just could not get over the density of buildings.* Hong Kong is the most densely populated area in the world. The skyline is simply a marvel no matter what direction you look. There is a great variety of modern, beautiful architecture - mixed with some older building that are just bidding their time before being replaced.*

We expected shoulder to shoulder people but it was not as crowded as we expected on the streets.* The sidewalks around this area are all wheelchair accessible, but some have a slope from the building down to the roads which means you are wheeling on a sideways angle. Many of the stores in this area had steps to get into them which left us to mostly window shopping.

We ended up at Kowloon Park.* This is a prime piece of real estate and it is great that they have kept it as a park. The park was very enjoyable and included a very nice range of plants, a large fountain, a lily pond, a pond with flamingos, ducks and geese, an aviary,*a childrens area, and a sculpture area.* It is built on a hill - there were many areas with steps but most parts had wheelchair ramps - the toughest was the long, steep one to get in the park.* The park was very clean - we saw a couple of workers going around a spilling small amount of water a various places and then mopping the spot - they were washing bird droppings.

We took another road back to the terminal area and wandered around there and the waterfront a bit more before heading back to the ship ($81HKD) it time get cleaned up and have a pre-diner relaxing beverage.*

Each night around 8pm there is a light and music show in the area of the ferry docks but it was not visible from our ship.**

Some stores take $US but taxi and public transit all require HKD and transit does not give change. There are lots of places to get money exchanged in this area. *

It's a very lively and vibrant city and certainly there is also much to see in the way of tourism including many fine restaurants and hotels.*We talked to a few people that enjoyed dinning in town and others that enjoyed doing the HOHO bus option which they thought was a great way to see various sights.

The terminal we are docked at is wifi friendly - many segment passengers and crew members were enjoying time there considering cost and response on board.

We went into one of the high end fashion stores.* As we passed by the lingerie section there was a woman looking about 50 checking out an item.* When another women, looking more like mid 20’s max came by and grabbed another of the same design. The older women feeling good about herself said to the younger shopper “I see we have the same taste.”* The younger shopper replied “that she was looking for something for her grandma and it was great to see someone her age would enjoy it.”*

Today at the park we were sitting on a bench.* Someone had left a local English paper on it from last week so I took a look to see that kind of stories they covered.* One caught my eye:* Apparently for St Patrick’s Day the bartender in the local pub stood up and said that it was time to get ready.* At the stroke of midnight, she wanted every husband to be standing next to the one person who made his life worth living.* Well, according to the newspaper it turned out kind of embarrassing.* As the clock struck the magic moment the bartender was almost crushed to death.

Today’s thought for the day - Some roads aren't meant to be traveled alone. - Chinese proverb

Today is another day for saving money on suntan lotion.* Very overcast, cool and breezy - around lunch time it was nice enough to sit outside if out of the wind but for the most part an indoor day.

We are cruising about 65km (40mi) off the coast of China with swells reported to be 3 - 4.5M (10-15ft) but it does not feel that bad. We will be exiting the South China Sea and tomorrow morning will be at our closest to Taiwan.*

We had another muster drill today - There was a couple in the middle, 3 rows from the front that waved a few times that they did not have life jackets but no one noticed them - seems with 20 odd staff there, someone should be checking that everyone actually did the drill and put on a life jacket.

Tonight we have a doubleheader show - Both the Illusionist Tensai and the Mentalist Luca Volpe shared the show. They are both very good but for the most part they take a long time to make a point.

One update from yesterday I heard today - One of the shuttle buses was involved in an accident - a car suddenly slowed down and the bus rear- ended the car and then as itself was rear-ended by a large truck. The shuttle was shared with passengers on the Cunard ship. Some received minor injuries but all decided for treatment on the ship instead of going to the hospital.

I wonder sometimes why women want to be equal to men when you see men walking around the deck with a bald head and a beer gut, while still thinking they are sexy.

Today’s thought for the day - Stripped of your ordinary surroundings, your friends, your daily routines, your refrigerator full of food, your closet full of clothes - with all this taken away, you are forced into direct experience. Such direct experience inevitably makes you aware of who it is that is having the experience. That's not always comfortable, but it is always invigorating. -Michael Crichton, 1942 -

Xiamen (pronounce SHA-mien) is a major city on China’s southeast (Taiwan Strait) coast.* Xiamen comprises Xiamen Island, Gulangyu Island, and part of the rugged mainland coastal region from the left bank of the Jiulong River in the west to the islands of Xiang’an in the northeast.Taiwan lies 304km (189mi) to the east.

The city proper has a population of 3.67 million and is over 5 million in the greater area. It is 1 of the 4 original Special Economic Zones opened to foreign investment and trade when China began economic reforms in the early 1980s. It is endowed with educational and cultural institutions supported by the overseas Chinese Diaspora.* In 2006, Xiamen was ranked as China's second "most suitable city for living", as well as China's "most romantic leisure city" in 2011.* It is also known as China’s cleanest city.

Xiamen has a diverse and well-developed economy. Primary economic activities include fishing, shipbuilding, food processing, tanning, textiles, machine tool manufacturing, chemical industries, telecommunications and financial services.

Xiamen and its surrounding countryside is known for its scenery and tree-lined beaches.* Xiamen's Botanical Garden is a nature lover's paradise.* The Buddhist Nanputuo Temple, dating back to the Tang Dynasty, is a national treasure. Xiamen is also famous for its history as a frontline in the Chinese Civil War with Taiwan over Jinmen 50 years ago.* One attraction for tourists is to view Kinmen, a group of islands a few km. (couple mi) away and under Taiwanese control, from Xiamen Island.

Xiamen University is a beautiful campus with old traditional buildings and a tranquil lake outside the foreign language department.

Water Garden Expo Park has a planning area of about 6.76sq km (2.61sq mi) (land area of 3.03sq km (1.17sq mi)), which consists of 5 exhibition park islands, 4 ecological landscapes islands and 2 peninsulas, including the main pavilion, Chinese Education Park, Marine Culture Island, Spa Island and other functional areas and related facilities.

Xiamen translates as “Door to China”.

We awoke to a hazy day that slowly improved to a nice sunny day with a temp of around 24C or 742F.* Even when the sun was out the buildings in the distance were in a haze - not sure if pollution or just the weather.

Everyone on board today had to clear immigration even if not planning to go ashore.* Tours went first and then by deck level. It was going fast until we went to get off - Freda would have had t go down the normal 32 steps, get in a bus to go about 200 meters and then go up an escalator or about 40 steps to immigration - she was not the only one who could not manage this and at the end they agreed to come on board and do the few people in her situation* -thanks to the Oceania lady that arranged this.

The port is located on the western (sheltered) side of the island.* The port building is very modern and large.* The number of cruise ships coming here has increased dramatically the last few years.* The area around the port seemed gorgeous.

Oceania provided a shuttle to the downtown area where there was shopping and a nice promenade along the water front. The ride was about 15 minutes each way.

From the terminal ferries go to the very popular tourist area -* Gulangyu Island.* In the terminal the tourist guides did speak enough English to get some answers and guide me to the ferry ticket area. The ticket I bought had a ferry departure time on it which was an hour after I had bought it.* While waiting 2 ferries came and went - that's how popular this trip was. The ferry cost 35RBM (about $8 cdn) for the return trip - no foreign accepted.* It was hard to get help in English - I just showed my ticket and people would point to the time and to where I should go.* As one ferry finished loading, people with tickets for the next start to line up - there is a rush to get the good seats on the ferry.

The water in the port was a bit murky and along with the normal type of debris there were a lot of dead fish floating around.* The harbour is surrounded by modern, tall skyscrapers.

The ferry ride takes about 20 minutes to the island.* This is a mostly Chinese tourism destination.* The only non Chinese people I saw today were those I recognized from the ship.* It is possible to take a wheelchair on the ferry but you would need to be able to do one big stride to get on. *

I spent about 2.5 hours wandering around this beautiful island.* I circled the whole island but did take some short cuts around some corners.* The shoreline is mostly wheelchair friendly but the island is hilly so it would take a lot of heavy duty pushing to see it all.* There are fees for some parks and museums on the island - due to shortage of time I passed on those.* There were lots of food option - from table top stands selling things like fruit, to stalls cooking food to go, to sit down restaurants including some that had live fish, lobster and crabs so you could pick your own fresh meal.

There are a couple of beaches - nice but not great - lots of people on the beach but no-one in the water.* There is a very high point you can clime up for a great view - would be nice on a very clear day. Also saw lots of brides doing wedding photo shoots.

There are large map signs around the island showing the various points and where you are - makes it easy to get back to the pier as long as you know which one you arrived at.* It is early spring but many annual flowers were already planted and most deciduous trees already had leaves with some in bloom.

I came back around 2pm and the ferry I was on was full but no waiting - If I had waited a couple more hours there would have been a big line again for the return trip so if doing this leave yourself plenty of time for the ferry ride plus about 10 minutes to get from the ferry dock to the gangway.

Once back I took the Oceania shuttle to town and turned around and came right back to the ship - I just wanted to see a bit of the city.* The main streets were nice, and wide and traffic was very easy - not to many motorcycles* - people seemed to know there are rules for driving.***Fro the bit I saw doing this, it looked like a very nice city.

At the terminal there are lots of taxis - mainly for those coming off the ferries - don't expect much in English.

All in all it was a very good visit to Xiamen and I was glad to have the opportunity to visit this city despite the difficulty in doing immigration.

We set sail just after sunset - it took about 40 minutes to reach open seas - look like it would have been a nice ride if the sun was still up.

For today’s thought for the day here are several Chinese proverbs --

A bit of fragrance clings to the hand that gives flowers.

A child's life is like a piece of paper on which every person leaves a mark.

Each generation will reap what the former generation has sown.

He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument.

If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people.

Parents who are afraid to put their foot down usually have children who step on their toes.

To listen well, is as powerful a means of influence as to talk well, and is as essential to all true conversation.

Those are really good proverbs.

Your report takes me back to my visit of Gulangyu Island on a moderately sunny weekend day a year ago. We had booked a ship's excursion which was a good thing since the lines for the ferry were extremely long by the time we arrived. They gave us our own ferry.

Young women wore (man-made) flowers in their hair, wedding pictures were taken and everybody smiled and waved to us while we drove by on a large golf cart. Doesn't happen often in China. I am glad you had a good time, too.

What you missed: A small Chinese garden and the piano museum. Both nice but not something one has to have seen. Go to Yu garden in the middle of Shanghai's pretend-historic shopping district if you can. It is better.

April Fool’s Day. I have heard of a ship offering a tour of the on board dairy farm on April 1 that a lot of people showed up for but nothing special here today considering what has happened on board. It has been a crazy day. I was up on deck recently when one of the crew ran by and dropped a letter which I picked up and read. Re-printing it here will show what kind of day we have had.

To: Owners NCL Holding Co.

Dear Sirs,

It is with regret and haste that I write this letter to you; regret that such a small misunderstanding could lead to the following circumstances, and haste in order that you will get this report before you form your own preconceived opinions from reports in the international press, for I am sure that they will tend to over-dramatize the affair.

We had just picked up the pilot, and the apprentice had returned from changing the 'G' flag for the 'H', and being his first trip was having difficulty in rolling the 'G' flag up. I therefore proceeded to show him how, coming to the last part I told him to 'let go'. The lad, although willing, is not too bright, necessitating my having to repeat the order in a sharper tone.

At this moment the Chief Officer appeared from the chartroom, having been plotting the vessel's progress, and thinking that it was the anchors that were being referred to, repeated the 'let go' to the Third Officer on the forecastle. The port anchor, having been cleared away, but not walked out, was promptly let go. The effect of letting the anchor drop from the 'pipe' while the vessel was proceeding at full harbour speed proved too much for the windlass brake, and the entire length of the port cable was pulled out 'by the roots'. I fear that the damage to the chain locker may be extensive. The braking effect of the port anchor naturally caused the vessel to sheer in that direction, right towards the swing bridge that spans a tributary to the river up which we were proceeding.

The swing bridge operator showed great presence of mind by opening the bridge for my vessel. Unfortunately he did not think to stop the vehicular traffic. The result being that the bridge partly opened and deposited a Volkswagen, two cyclists and a cattle truck on the foredeck. My ship's company are at present rounding up the contents of the latter, which from the noise I would say were pigs. In his efforts to stop the progress of the vessel the Third Officer dropped the starboard anchor, too late to be of practical use for it fell on the swing bridge operator's control cabin.

After the port anchor was let go and the vessel started to sheer I gave a double ring Full Astern on the Engine Room Telegraph, and personally rang the Engine Room to order maximum astern revolutions. I was informed that the temperature was 83 degrees, and was asked if there was a film tonight. My reply would not add constructively to this report.

Up to now I have confined my report to the activities at the forward end of my vessel. Down aft they were having their own problems. At the moment the port anchor was let go, the Second Officer was supervising the making fast of the aft tug, and was lowering the ship's towing spring down into the tug.

The sudden braking effect of the port anchor caused the tug to 'run in under' the stern of my vessel, just at the moment when the propeller was answering my double ring Full Astern. The prompt action of the Second Officer in securing the shipboard end of the towing spring delayed the sinking of the tug by some minutes thereby allowing the safe abandoning of that vessel.

It is strange, but at the very same moment of letting go the port anchor there was a power cut ashore. The fact that we were passing over a 'cable area' at that time may suggest that we may have touched something on the river bed. It is perhaps lucky that the high tension cables brought down by the foremast were not live, possibly being replaced by the underwater cable, but owing to the shore blackout it is impossible to say where the pylon fell.

It never fails to amaze me, the actions and behaviour of foreigners during moments of minor crisis. The pilot for instance, is at this moment huddled in the corner of my day cabin, alternately crooning to himself and crying after having consumed a bottle of gin in a time that is worthy of inclusion in the Guinness Book of Records. The tug captain on the other hand reacted violently and had to forcibly be restrained by the Steward, who has him handcuffed in the ship's hospital while he is telling me to do impossible things with my ship and my person.

I enclose the names and addresses of the drivers, and insurance companies of the vehicles on my foredeck, which the Third Officer collected after his somewhat hurried evacuation of the forecastle. These particulars will enable you to claim back the damage that they did to the railings of number one hold.

I am closing this preliminary report for I am finding it difficult to concentrate with the sound of police sirens and the flashing lights.

It is sad to think that had the apprentice realized that there is no need to fly pilot flags after dark, none of this would have happened.

Yours truly,

Master Maroje Brajcic

Now that things have calmed down I can report on the rest of the day.

At this the half way point of the voyage I just wanted to say I Am Truly Thankful for all your many, many kind words. When I started this "Live" I had no idea how well it would go. I'm am quite satisfied with how it it going so far, just wish I was able to add photos.

At times we still can't believe we are actually going around the world in a single voyage.* We both feel so lucky to have this opportunity. Based on my reports so far, I trust you can sense this has been a successful voyage to this point despite Freda's difficulties – many great ports still to come as we go further into China and beyond.* Today marks another little notch in our cruising history - all of our previous cruises have in the Oct to March period except a May TA cruise so this is our first April day at sea.*

It has been a wonderful 90 days and we continue to look forward to the next 90.* Our fellow passengers have been a great group.* Very little of the one-upmanship about how many cruises people have done.* Here conversations more often turn into “dueling ailments.”

Today we have sailed out of the Taiwan Strait and into the East China Sea.* Conditions are quite calm, hazy sunshine but cool - high 13C (55F).

We started the day with an special breakfast Meet and Greet for those doing the full 180.* About half attended.* Being in the main lounge, there was nothing hot being prepared just various special breads, muffins, donuts and the like. After a period of chi-chat there were a few short speeches and a Q&A period.* For those that also cruise on Oceania sister company, Regent, it was announced that they have just signed an agreement for a new ship to be delivered in 2020.* We will be loosing the GM. Victor soon but he will return for the last segment and the executive chef is also leaving but will be back late May.*

Tonight it is so cold that the shrubs out on the pool deck are covered in plastic to protect them.

Tomorrow I have an early starter to the day with a tour with Discover China Tours.***

The following day is the end of this current segment.* There are 11 of us currently onboard and we will be meeting 3 couple waiting in Shanghai hotels at the train station to start the tour.

Tour desc: Your will go to Shanghai Train Station on your own. Upon your arrival in Hangzhou, you will visit the Six Harmonies Pagoda as your first stop. Upon arrival, you will see the 59.89-meter-high pagoda was built in thirteen-story, but actually there are only seven-story interiorly. You will get to visit the charming museum and snap some photos in front of this architectural marvel that was built in the Song Dynasty.

After lunch, the beautiful view of West Lake is going to greet us. We will have a cruise across West Lake to experience peace and serenity like no place else in the Shanghai area. The unforgettable scenery includes Three Pools Mirroring the Moon, Bai and Su Causeways, Solitary Hill, and Leifeng Pagoda etc. The boat ride ends at Viewing Fish at Flower Harbor. We will have the chance to walk along on Su Causeway.

At the end of Su Causeway, you will see Solitary Hill. It boasts of beautiful landscapes. It is bordered by Bai Causeway on the east, Xi Ling Bridge on the west, the Outer West Lake on the south, and the Inner West Lake on the north. Autumn Moon over the Calm Lake, is one of the ten scenes of the West Lake. Solitary Hill is an ideal place to enjoy the beauty of West Lake.

Tonight, you will enjoy the Impression West Lake (VIP seat on Water Platform). Impression West Lake-a unique metropolitan outdoor performance in a natural stage setting, is the most beautiful metropolitan theater with natural mountains and water as its backdrop.

After the show, you will take a high speed train back to Shanghai.

Originally Freda was to do this tour but we decided with the way things have gone so far it was better not to do it in case she ran into trouble part way through.

Today’s thought for the day - A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints – Wilfred Peterson

Shanghai is roughly equidistant from Beijing and Hong Kong. Apart from a few hills in the southwest corner the vast majority of Shanghai's 6,340.5sq km (2,448.1sq mi) land area is flat. It is located in the Yangtze River Delta in east China. The city has many rivers, canals, streams and lakes and is known for its rich water resources as part of the Taihurainage area. Shanghai is the largest city proper by population in the world. It is one of the four province level municipalities in China, with a total population of over 23.5 million as of 2013. Population density in the central city is very high at 8,265 people per sq km (3,191 per sq mi).If Shanghai was a separate country it would be the 51st most populous in the world just ahead of Taiwan.

It is a global city, with influence in commerce, culture, media, fashion, technology, and transport. It is a major financial center and the busiest container port in the world. Although less than 2% of China's population lives in Shanghai, the city contributes more than 11% of China's total income. A quarter of all commodities in China pass through Shanghai ports. It has been described as the "showpiece" of the booming Chinese economy.

Shanghai is a popular tourist destination renowned for its historical landmarks such as City God Temple, The Bund (historical riverfront district), and the nearby Yuyuan Garden, as well as the extensive and growing Lujiazui skyline. There are areas of classic western architecture as well as modern architecture. Shanghai boasts several museums of regional and national importance, Shanghai Ocean Aquarium, the Oriental Pearl Tower and there are many interesting Temples including the Jade Buddha Temple, Jing'an Temple and Longhua Temple).

The average high temperature in April is 19C (66F).

Edited by Waynetor

Despite having or time here cut by several hours from original itinerary, our time in Shanghai is greater than any other port on his voyage.

We were too late getting up to enjoy most of the sail up the Yangtze River to our dock in Shanghai but some early risers tell me it was another long journey past shipping docks, housing, skyscrapers and buildings along the way. We passed many, many ships, barges, and tankers.* We even saw large ocean tankers being built - there were 4 of them in various stages of completion.* The area around the port is mostly ice and clean - there are a few cherry trees in blossom just off the side by the gangway.*

We docked on time and as they announced we could get off the ship, the weather update was a 100% chance of afternoon rain with a high around 17C or 63F.* We quickly got off and meet our guide for a trip to the railway station.* The station is right next to the main airport, about an hour drive from the port- A mix of good and slow traffic but not too bad considering it is a holiday weekend here. The trip took us along the waterfront on the opposite side of the river from where we are docked.* The area has a nice mix of large building built in the early 1900's and new large buildings with a nice promenade area.

Although the air quality is much better here than it used to be, there is still room for improvement.* If you having any breathing issues it would be good to use a mask if you are going to be outdoors for very long.

Driving here is quite different than other places we have been to in Asia.* - Most people follow basic road rules and there is little honking.* Bicycles scooter and motorcycles often have their own lanes.

The guide we had helped us to the train check in and left us until she would meet us again on our return. This was an usual CC group tour - we had 11 people from the ship and 8 more that were staying in hotels and joining the ship tomorrow so we met them at the station. The train ride was my fist time on a high speed train - we hit a high of 301Km/h or 186mph.* -they used to go up to 350km/h but slowed down a bit after an accident a couple years ago.* The ride was incredibly smooth and quiet compared to other trains I have been on. There are no level crossings. You can barely feel the change in speeds.* Going next to a highway where cars are doing a 100km/h, they seem to be just puttering along.

The train made a few stops and we were in Hangzhou in about 70 minutes.* The distance covered was about 200km (104mi).* A new guide meet us as we excited the gates.* Hangzhou is hosting the G20 summit in Sept this year.* They are already making various beautification upgrades although the city is very nice and clean appearing with lots of wide streets and greenery.* I trust they will not have the issues with hooligans that Toronto had a few years ago when it held the meeting.

Our guide informed us we should expect heavy traffic around West Lake due to the holiday so it was decided to skip visiting the Pagoda which we agreed to.* West Lake is a World Heritage Site.* It took us about an hour to get there.* It seemed like there was a local by-law that everyone had to go to the lake today despite the overcast conditions.* The city had a population of JUST 4 million with another 4 million in the surrounding area.* We passed large numbers of tea plantaions with workers, mostly female, out picking individual leaves.

The lake is surrounded by several nice gardens.* This large lake has several islands and causeways.* There are quite a few restaurants and hotels around the lake. The lake is featured o the Chinese 1 yen note. In the summer there will be several area with lots of lotus plants but it is way too early for them now.* We did a 40 minute boat ride, unfortunately it was a hazy which made seeing some of the local pagodas hard, but our guide said even on nice sunny days there is some haze.* There was wall to wall people all around the lake.

The area around the lake was mostly wheelchair friendly except a few spots where sidewalk work was being done. To get on a boat took 1 big step.

Next we drove to Hangzhou Songcheng Park, a very large theme park - everyone that was not at the lake was here. The main thing here for us was the The Romantic Show of Songcheng - the show is an hour long and broken into 4 parts that cover local history from around 1200 to current.* The show featured wonderfully costumed dancing, gymnastics, martial arts, and contortions.* The stage setting and lighting where the best I have seen anywhere -simply amazing - for one scene the whole stage floor disappeared and it became a pond with large waterfalls from the ceiling. *We finished there at 7pm and then drove to a local restaurant for dinner - they provided bowls of rice, vegetables, meat, and dumplings.* It cost us each 70RBM - around $10us.* It started to rain with lightning just as we left.* From there we drove back to the railway station where we waited an hour for the train.* The train this time was express and it took only 45 minutes.* We were again met at the Shanghai station for a bus ride to the ship getting back just after midnight.

Turns out the weather in Shanghai was a lot worse than what we had - it rained most of the afternoon here.

There were a lot less smokers here than I had expected.

Today’s thought for the day - The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes "sight-seeing”. - Daniel Boorstin

What a fantastic day you had. Shanghai is such an interesting city. It is a pity that they didn't give you two days there as there is such a lot to see.

I am enjoying your wonderful reports. Thanks for going to the trouble as I know how slow and frustrating the internet can be. I do appreciate your hard work.

Jennie

Today is another segment end. I am not sure of the nationality of some of the new passengers but I suspect that like in Singapore, there will be a fair number from outside North America.* This I would imagine will be a popular segment for Australians as this segment ends in Sydney they would not have as much travelling at the end as North Americans would. I found out that after everyone that was disembarking there were 287 passengers still registered on board. That includes those on the previous segment and doing one or more additional segments as well as those doing the full voyage.

The string of lousy weather continued - it rained on and off this morning. This afternoon once it stopped, I decided to go out and check the options in the area in case we decided to do anything tomorrow - by the time I got ready it was raining again and continued the rest of the afternoon. The top of the taller building are lost in the clouds. The cool temps also are lingering.

A lot of the skyscrapers here have their lights on timers - sitting up on deck 10, right at 6pm the whole downtown lit up. Many building are into the light display rage. There has been a very steady parade of about 10 dinner cruise boats going by - most of them over and over. It would be a very cool night out on the open decks but people are out there - I can also see lots of people inside having dinner. Most of the boat have a major sponsor name on it - one is the Bank of Taiwan which surprised me would exist here.

Today’s thought for the day - Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world. - Scott Cameron

Edited by Waynetor
title

Today the weather has dried out, still mostly cloudy in the morning and cool but a few degrees warmer.* By afternoon it was near full sun - had trouble remembering where I had put the suntan lotion.

On board here there has been a currency exchange - US to Chinese only and no Chinese to US with leftovers. There was also a tourist desk with maps and a shuttle bus for all 3 days.

Our sailaway time was 1pm but we had to do a muster drill at noon so all aboard was 11:45 so not much time to enjoy the city.* I got off at 9 and took a taxi to the tower area which is just upriver on the opposite side from where we were docked.* To get there vehicles drive through a long tunnel that goes under the river. The cost was only 16RBM.* I wandered around there for awhile and went along the river-side promenade for about a mile to where all the dinner cruise boats were docked on both sides of the river.* The promenade is nicely landscaped with shrubs and trees. Not many people along the river but lots of people in the area of the tower - there are different admission fees depending on what you want to do.* Nearby is also the large Shanghai Aquarium. In many ways, this is a very young city even though they talk about the old and the new as most of the old is still relatively new in the scheme of things, especially for a city of this size.*I continued back towards the ship, Just opposite the ship is a small ferry that goes across the river - I took that, cost 2RBM, and it docked just to the sea side of the ship.

From this area, looking back to the side the ship was docked is where most of the nice, older buildings.* For a good stretch along the river in the area are buildings that appear to be from the early 1900's.

Shanghai appears to be an amazing city in so many different ways. Before visiting this city for this, our first time people would tell us about how unreal the size and scope of this city is. However, it was hard to comprehend this until I had the opportunity to see this city for myself.* While I only had the drive out to the railway station, the walk around downtown and the long river cruise out to sea, I could grasp the size of this city and and how far it has come to be a modern city.* The downtown area was very wheelchair friendly.

We sailed away sharp at 1 and had a nice sail up river until 3pm when the river got much wider - more like a lake* - this area is very much port based with many ships at docks or anchored in the wide river waiting thier turn.* At the point the river widened there was a RCI ship docked.* This large cruise ship is too large to sail downtown (could not turnaround) so passengers have along way to go to see anything. We were docked next to a Holland America ship and another ship about the same size as Holland America but I would imagine nothing bigger than them would come up river.

Today another group of passengers started a long overland trip where they will not be back on board until the 7th.* Highlights included the wild Goose Pagoda, Terra Cotta Warriors, Museum, Great Wall of China, Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.***

After 2 nights of movies for entertainment we are back to a real show, even it is just the standard welcome aboard with a lot of crew introductions with a bit of a comedian sample show thrown in.

We are now sailing with 551 passengers which is down from the last segment.

China is quickly becoming a nation of theme parks.* Shanghai Disney($5.5 billion) is scheduled to open very soon.* I read that throughout China there are plans for 59 new theme parks by the end of 2020.

Today’s thought for the day -If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back – Regina Brett

Jeju Province is 1 of the 9 provinces of South Korea. The province is situated on the nation's largest island of Jeju. The island lies in the Korea Strait.

Jeju Island, also known as the "Island of the Gods," is a popular vacation spot for Koreans and many Japanese. It remains one of the top honeymoon destinations for Korean newlyweds.

The island's mixture of volcanic rock, frequent rains, and temperate climate, make it very similar to the Hawaiian Islands in the U.S.* The landscape and waterfalls are big draws.* Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes became World Natural Heritage site in 2007.

The city of Jeju is the capitol of the province.* The city is on the north coast.The population is around 280,000.* The city is a well-known resort, with prestigious hotels and public casino facilities. SeongsanIlchulbong is an extinct volcanic crater that one could climb and come down from within an hour.

The average high temperature in April is 18C (64F).

Thanks for the comments - part of the reason for doing this travelogue is to help those planning a similar trip so its great to know it is helping.

According to our original itinerary today was to be a sea day followed by 2 days in Beijing (Tianjin) but the government of China in their infinite wisdom decided that 2 days there was too much, and we needed to go to a foreign port in between Shanghai and there so we will be spending the afternoon/evening in Cheju with a sea day tomorrow.

No one on board has any explanation for this change in Chinese policy - we went from Xiamen to Shanghai without a foreign port in between but are not allowed to go from Shanghai to Tianjan without one in between.* It's their loss of tour revenue as well as the loss of seeing more of that area for the passengers but I'm sure South Korea says thanks.

We learned this morning what it is like to get up way early than planned.* Not to mention any names but one of us thought the time was 9am and rushed the other to get moving so we would not miss breakfast - turns out it was only 6am - turns out there are others that routinely get up that early.* The sun was up with hardly a cloud to be seen, only 11C (53F) at that time but someone was swimming and lots of others on deck 10 walking the track.* The sea has just a slight swell.* The weather went from sunny to solid cloud, back to sunny and then solid cloud again - temp reached 17C (63F).

We had an hour time change forward last night, and will change back an hour tonight when we go to Tianjin and will return to this time when we go to Seoul after that.***

This morning we had to pick up our passports to the front desk - we needed to have them when to go ashore today to go through immigration in the terminal.* Immigration only required if going ashore. The port here can handle 3 cruise ships and the container area, 3 cargo ships. Just as we were docking, a Costa ship was pulling away from its berth.* The Costa ship was replaced by the same RCI ship that had been out in the nether region of Shanghai yesterday as we left there.

There was a tourist rep on board that gave out very good maps of the downtown area. I asked about walking back to the ship from the shuttle bus drop off area - she said it could be done in about a half hour.* I decided to take the shuttle downtown to have a look around - the waterfront in the area we passed did not look all that interesting so that idea of a walk back vanished.* The shuttle bus dropped us off in front of the Jeju Mok Office (aka Jeju Mokswana) - this complex was originally built in the early 1400's and was restored as a tourist attraction between 1999 and 2002 - there is a fee for admission.* It has 8 buildings plus other points of interest inside. There were various shopping options in the area and some special buildings but not a great lot for tourist in the downtown.* Along the waterfront there are some hotels but no beaches that I could see - way to cold at this time anyways.

One thing one the map that caught my attention was Jeonnongro Cherry Blossom Street. The representative that met the bus told me it was about a 20 minute walk so I decided to check it out.* From the waterfront, the city is built on a long slowly rising hill.* I used the map and zig-zagged up some streets - as long as I was going up-hill, I was heading in the right direction.* I found it and both sides of the street were lined with large cherry trees in full blossom and the street had lanterns strung between all the trees.* It looked really great - several Korean tourist were also there taking photos.* I expect to see a lot more in Japan but wanted to see these just in case it does not work out in Japan.

On the way back I went along a side street where the front of every building/house, fence wall was painted with a mural - most were nature based but some where traditional folklore - did not see this type of painting on other similar structures.

Most of the town was very accessible but with the up/down hill getting around any distance could be a problem other than the shopping area.* Overall from the little I saw, Jeju seems like a nice city but not a lot for foreign tourist - all depends on what you are looking to experience I guess.* While there were some newer buildings, it was nothing like some of the other cities we have seen recently.

It was confirmed last night that there are no children on board for this segment.

Some people may wonder how we can manage an ‘inside’ cabin for a voyage like this.* I am reminded of a story of the trans-Atlantic 1840 maiden voyage of a ship Britannia.* The passengers included Charles Dickens and his wife.* Dickens described the Britannia as a “gigantic hearse with windows in the sides.”* As to the berth, “nothing smaller for sleeping in was ever made, except for coffins.”* In comparison we are feeling quite roomy.

One of our tablemates tonight had her arm in a sling.* She was asked if she had fallen while on the ship.* She said that “No, she had been in a car accident a few days before the cruise started and injured her arm.”*

That got she reminiscing about another accident they were involved in a few years back.

They phoned the local cab company and requested a taxi. The taxi arrived and the couple opened the front door to leave.* The cat they had put out into the yard scoots back into the house. They didn't want the cat back in the house because "she" always tries to eat their pet bird.* The wife goes out to the taxi while the husband goes inside to get the cat.* The cat runs upstairs, the man in hot pursuit. The wife didn't want the driver to know the house will be empty.* She explained to the driver that her husband will be out soon. "He's just going upstairs to say goodbye to my mother."

A few minutes later, the husband gets into the cab. "Sorry I took so long," he says, as they drive away.

"Stupid witch was hiding under the bed.* Had to poke her with a coat hanger to get her to come out!* Then I had to wrap her in a blanket to keep her from scratching me. But it worked. I hauled her fat a** downstairs and threw her out into the back yard!"

The cabdriver veered off the road and hit a parked car.

Today’s thought of the day - “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.” - Helen Keller