First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Norris,

Thank you for taking the time to do your wonderful review. Love your pictures and attention to detail. Enjoy all your food pictures and the addition of costs. It helps to know what to budget.

Sorry about your mishap in St Maarten . We have rented a car there before and easy to get around on your own.

I just finished your fall trip to Rome and have taken notes for our return trip in October staying 4 days before our first Transatlantic trip You are like my husband up early taking pictures before the city wakes up.

Our first cruise was in 79 for our honeymoon and we were on Song of Norway. I think I read where you said you had played the drum on there. It began our love for cruising. This fall will be our 25th cruise. I like Princess but prefer Celebrity however love any cruise we have been on.

Glad to hear you are recovering from your terrible ordeal of break in. Thankful you are still here and continue to write your detailed reviews.Will look forward to future reviews and I will check your blog out. Thank You

Thanks for the Tuscan review! I've been pondering that - Palo (the Italian upcharge restaurant on Disney's ships) is always a must-do for me, and it looks like Tuscan may be worth it. Do you happen to remember if there were other dessert options?

We are considering doing a Disney at some point, and I'm always curious about Palo -- so you're definitely a big fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are considering doing a Disney at some point, and I'm always curious about Palo -- so you're definitely a big fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it - both dinner and brunch (brunch is only offered on sea days generally - there have been exceptions or experiments with offering it other days, but the general rule is sea days for sure). I typically like to start my cruise off with Palo on the first night - last Feb was the exception as the first night was 2/14 and I figured I'd spare myself what I anticipated would be couple city. I've never had service or food issues there (not that I have on Disney as a rule) and would definitely eat there more than once if there are slots for additional reservations once on board - even with the upcharge.

Sorry for the OT diversion Norris!

Norris, a couple of things from my experience since I know you are planning to repeat this cruise.

1. In St. Martin you can buy a RT ferry ticket to get into the downtown area. They have a lot of taxis/tour companies after you get off the ferry on the other side. Less of a hassle IMO. The Butterfly exhibit is worth a visit. We found it interesting. It is small, but they have the plants and butterflies at different stages. But I usually do not bother getting off with that many passengers in port.

2. I know the Sangria is within the Premium package. The lists are just an example and what is in the package is anything that cost less than $13. I suspect it is also within Classic package, but I do not know for sure because I always upgrade to the premium.

Enjoyed the horn battle caught on video. Keep up the good work. Here is your crew in the process of their boat drill in St. Kitts.

Thanks for the photo. I heard the drill announcements from up at Sunset.

Point 1 is well taken and we'll use that method to get to Grand Case. Thanks for letting me know-we have spent no time in Philipsburg before.

We have been to the Butterfly Farm before (Ruby Princess review 2013) and it's a treat. Very relaxing tour.

Cheers!

Norris

Loving your trip review Norris, I've been reading along the past few days and have finally caught up.

So disappointed you both had such an ordeal in St Maarten but looking forward to seeing what you both got up to during the remainder of your cruise,

Tracey

Welcome Tracey! I see you don't post often so that's a double welcome!

I'm glad you are reading along and are enjoying.

Someone from the Disney organization needs to show the St Maarten taxi guys how to handle crowds.

It looks like you are due for another cruise!

Norris

Norris,

Thank you for taking the time to do your wonderful review. Love your pictures and attention to detail. Enjoy all your food pictures and the addition of costs. It helps to know what to budget.

Sorry about your mishap in St Maarten . We have rented a car there before and easy to get around on your own.

I just finished your fall trip to Rome and have taken notes for our return trip in October staying 4 days before our first Transatlantic trip You are like my husband up early taking pictures before the city wakes up.

Our first cruise was in 79 for our honeymoon and we were on Song of Norway. I think I read where you said you had played the drum on there. It began our love for cruising. This fall will be our 25th cruise. I like Princess but prefer Celebrity however love any cruise we have been on.

Glad to hear you are recovering from your terrible ordeal of break in. Thankful you are still here and continue to write your detailed reviews.Will look forward to future reviews and I will check your blog out. Thank You

Cindy, thanks for joining us here and for the compliments!

4 days in Rome =what a luxury!! We've only ever managed two.

I was on Song of Norway in late 85 and then in 86. Great little ship!

Norris

Back on board the ship and at the Sunset bar talking to fellow cruisers over a cold beer. Another ship backs in-Costa Magica.

24838451395_480df17d51_b.jpg

Each time I have gone to see the Sky Lounge on the ship this week during the day it has been "Closed for a Private Function" (Park West). Not today!

24211609953_6ea86c2b53_b.jpg

24210283714_bbeaec6bae_b.jpg

Live music at nights

24745007221_e5db72005a_b.jpg

24542963310_ea5fa6a983_b.jpg

24745014261_10e88e4e37_b.jpg

What a great looking room. They had an 80's party up here a couple of nights ago where the singers and dancers were dressed in 80's clothes with scenery from the theater, I presume. We missed it and only found out when we bought the DVD of our cruise, which showed a lot of the events we missed, LOL!

24812205166_0fb12a9807_b.jpg

24812209656_c51fff0b45_b.jpg

That's it for the Sky Lounge. There is art just outside.

24211625103_ce75462e0e_b.jpg

24745023491_30bc370a9b_b.jpg

Time to hit the buffet for an Indian lunch. Oceanview here I come!

24745018981_617a6e9e6e_b.jpg

24745027971_1b3a3d73fc_b.jpg

Yummo!!

We hit the pier in St Maarten, en route to have a much-anticipated lunch.

No French meal, no lobster with a sea view. I went to the cabin to get the phone number for Le Soleil but had a devil of a time getting on line. Clock was ticking towards noon so I went down to Guest Relations and was helped by John from England. He sent them an e mail and also phoned them but the line was dead.

Long story short they got the e mail and understood why we didn't show. They hope to see us next year. The feeling is mutual.

Now I need a cold beer!

Norris

We were on the same sailing as you. I'm enjoying your review very much. Sorry you missed your lunch in Grand Case. We had lunch at Antoine in Phillipsburg, just a walk down the boardwalk. We had the Lobster Thermidor (with a chardonnay from Bourgogne) and it was just as good as we remembered having there several years ago. Might be something you would want to consider in the future as the only taxi you need to take is a water taxi.

We were on the same sailing as you. I'm enjoying your review very much. Sorry you missed your lunch in Grand Case. We had lunch at Antoine in Phillipsburg, just a walk down the boardwalk. We had the Lobster Thermidor (with a chardonnay from Bourgogne) and it was just as good as we remembered having there several years ago. Might be something you would want to consider in the future as the only taxi you need to take is a water taxi.

Yvie, welcome and thanks for this recommendation!

John of Guest Relations suggested a restaurant/hotel called Holland House. Are you familiar with that?

Norris

Norris -

Thanks so much for your report and wonderful photos! I'm only up to post #280, so someone may have already told you about YouTube inserts on CruiseCritic. If you want to insert:

You take the part of URL after the v= and insert it between the mark up (without the extra spaces:

[ youtube ] Gk2STVV77aw [ / youtube ]

That gives you:

Gk2STVV77aw

Again, thank you very much for all your hard work! :)

Or....no transportation needed other than about a 20 minute walk. Last few times we've been to St. Maarten we have avoided the entire debacle with transportation and just walked the path. It's not too bad. Lots of people do it. I hate that bumpy water taxi too.

Once in town you can easily catch a taxi to anywhere you want to go, or just hang around Philipsburg.

I agree, that taxi line is awful. If you're one of the first ships and one of the first off you're ok, but if there is one of those Ginormous of the Seas in town, we just walk or stay on board.

One thing we did in St. Maarten once is the America's Cup race. We actually sailed on the Stars and Stripes that won the race a number of years ago. It's so much fun, this excursion available through the ship.

Norris -

Thanks so much for your report and wonderful photos! I'm only up to post #280, so someone may have already told you about YouTube inserts on CruiseCritic. If you want to insert:

You take the part of URL after the v= and insert it between the mark up (without the extra spaces:

[ youtube ] Gk2STVV77aw [ / youtube ]

That gives you:

Gk2STVV77aw

Again, thank you very much for all your hard work! :)

Much obliged and thank you for the tip! Will use it on tomorrow's video uploads.

I had the instructions bookmarked on my old Mac but that was stolen.

The hard work is worth it when people such as yourself enjoy it.

Thanks again!

Norris

Or....no transportation needed other than about a 20 minute walk. Last few times we've been to St. Maarten we have avoided the entire debacle with transportation and just walked the path. It's not too bad. Lots of people do it. I hate that bumpy water taxi too.

Once in town you can easily catch a taxi to anywhere you want to go, or just hang around Philipsburg.

I agree, that taxi line is awful. If you're one of the first ships and one of the first off you're ok, but if there is one of those Ginormous of the Seas in town, we just walk or stay on board.

One thing we did in St. Maarten once is the America's Cup race. We actually sailed on the Stars and Stripes that won the race a number of years ago. It's so much fun, this excursion available through the ship.

Thanks for the handy tips Claudia!

The taxi "line" sets a poor tone for anyone visiting SM for the first time on a ship.

Norris

Norris, the sunrise/sunset photos are spectacular!

I wish we had been able to book the Rail and Sail excursion in St Kitts. I am sure we would both enjoy it, especially after seeing your excellent photos and videos. I think we may need to book another cruise that stops in St Kitts! :cool:

I'm sorry you were not able to make it to the French restaurant you were looking forward to in St Kitts. However, by sharing your story you have most likely saved me from getting stuck in the same situation on the cruise I just booked to celebrate my recovery from knee surgery. I will do my research on how many ships are in port with us and if it will be a busy day we will just hop on the water taxi to Phillipsburg and just catch a taxi from there. I'd rather do some walking on my newly replaced knees than deal with the melee you encountered at the taxi stand at the pier. :eek:

Nancy - Off to check the number of ships docked with her in St Maarten! :D

Norris, i am enjoying your journal very much. I've been on just one cruise, the Millenium 3 years ago (western Caribbean). Currently planning a cruise to Alaska but haven't chosen a ship yet. I plan to read a couple of your Princess reviews before then.

Anyway, when it comes to the service you received in Michael's Club, do you recommend tipping separately for that, or do you consider that included in the overall gratuities?

Thanks!

Ed

Thoroughly enjoying your latest Gentleman's Seafarer's Journal Norris. Oh my goodness, from your photographs, the Silhouette looks simply beautiful. Mmmm, need to investigate X cruises here in Oz. LOL and the 'tucker' doesn't look too bad either. ;)

But one comment ... great gams mate! :rolleyes:

The predictable French toast but with English bacon, tiny ham slice and, of course...MORE BACON!

24211572513_6255606748_b.jpg

We'll be having lunch by the lapping waters of Grand Case bay in under 4 hours...

Was wondering when BACON would make a guest appearance here on "Norris's Excellent Adventure". Great story line here. Making us anticipate our March West Caribbean trip next month.

Thanks for the insight!

Very much appreciated.

Norris, the sunrise/sunset photos are spectacular!

I wish we had been able to book the Rail and Sail excursion in St Kitts. I am sure we would both enjoy it, especially after seeing your excellent photos and videos. I think we may need to book another cruise that stops in St Kitts! :cool:

I'm sorry you were not able to make it to the French restaurant you were looking forward to in St Kitts. However, by sharing your story you have most likely saved me from getting stuck in the same situation on the cruise I just booked to celebrate my recovery from knee surgery. I will do my research on how many ships are in port with us and if it will be a busy day we will just hop on the water taxi to Phillipsburg and just catch a taxi from there. I'd rather do some walking on my newly replaced knees than deal with the melee you encountered at the taxi stand at the pier. :eek:

Nancy - Off to check the number of ships docked with her in St Maarten! :D

Nancy, I'm glad you are enjoying those sunrise/sunset photos.

The St Maarten taxi debacle was a surprise to us. They should be used to crowds by now and have a method in place.

As the French restaurant was the reason for getting off the ship, yes, that was disappointing but now thanks to the clued-in people responding here, we'll succeed next time by taking the water taxi away from the scrum. We allowed ourselves two hours to get to the restaurant....

Norris

Norris, i am enjoying your journal very much. I've been on just one cruise, the Millenium 3 years ago (western Caribbean). Currently planning a cruise to Alaska but haven't chosen a ship yet. I plan to read a couple of your Princess reviews before then.

Anyway, when it comes to the service you received in Michael's Club, do you recommend tipping separately for that, or do you consider that included in the overall gratuities?

Thanks!

Ed

Ed, great screen name, or is that your last name? One never knows.

Thanks for stopping by.

I don't think it appropriate to tip the ladies in Michael's-the pampering and helpfulness is part of the Suite experience and makes you glad you booked a suite. They lead a rarified life there as they are not rushed off their feet.

Our gratuities were included (1,2,3 Go! booking) but we still tipped our room stewards and our butler cash and I tipped Bojan the bartender at Sunset each time I went up there. These were the people who hustled on our behalf daily.

Regarding Alaska, Princess would be my first choice as they have access to Glacier Bay. I have two Alaska reviews that might help you.

Hope this helps!

Norris

Thoroughly enjoying your latest Gentleman's Seafarer's Journal Norris. Oh my goodness, from your photographs, the Silhouette looks simply beautiful. Mmmm, need to investigate X cruises here in Oz. LOL and the 'tucker' doesn't look too bad either. ;)

But one comment ... great gams mate! :rolleyes:

Yes, investigate X. The tucker is good overall. Starving is not an option.

I'm glad you like my legs (or does the eyeroll suggest otherwise?). They are tireless appendages, unless wearing spangly stiletto shoes on a boat dock.

Cheers!

BTW....now that I have 2 sea days coming up you can expect a lot more ship pics.

Norris