Unsolicited phone calls from O

LHT28

Had a strange call last night

They said they were from Oceania & thanked me for sailing with them & could they help book any cruises for me ?

Now this sort of threw me off so I told him I have 2 booked do I need more

After doing something ..."oh yes I see you have 2 booked "

Then told him I have a TA that I perfectly happy with

"oh yes I see your TA on file "

Anyone else get one of these calls & is Oceania calling or are they farming out our phone/emails to outside reps ??

In any case I found it a bit annoying as I do have a great TA

Lyn

Agree this was probably a scam. If you had said yes to booking with them they would have wanted a lot of personal info and your credit card number. At best a credit card scam, at worst identity theft. Did you call Oceania to ask them if they have provided your info to anyone to contact you about a future cruise?

Not sure if a scam or not he had out names & phone #

At first I though there was a problem with our booking but then I thought my TA would call me if there was

it was after dinner so just caught me off guard

Not sure if a scam or not he had out names & phone #

At first I though there was a problem with our booking but then I thought my TA would call me if there was

it was after dinner so just caught me off guard

Sounds kind of fishy to me. In all the years we have sailed with O ( about 12) have never gotten a call from them. Everything goes thru our TA. :confused:

We got a similar phone call; didn't push for anything, just asked if we were interested in a cruise. I said not at this time, and the woman thanked me and I hung up.

Guess they were trying to fill the ships ;)

Just odd to me as I have never had a call like that before

Yes, there is a gentleman who has been calling me for over a year. I won't mention the name. He said he was with Oceania, etc. etc. I told him yesterday that I do have a TA I am extremely happy with, and I did say that if he was with O, he should show that I have 2 booked within the next 4 months.

I find it interesting that he still calls when I have told him time after time that I am very happy with my TA and don't intend to change.

I don't think it is a scam. I just believe that he must have some close relationship with O and R and is able to get this information about the clients.

I find it interesting that he still calls when I have told him time after time that I am very happy with my TA and don't intend to change.

WOW

Maybe next he calls get his info & call Oceania & complain

A one off call I do not mind but if they keep calling then I will be complaining LOUDLY ;)

I mentioned in another thread I submitted a quote request from the Oceania website and twice have had someone contact me and leave VMs. We've already booked with a TA. I was annoyed that you are required to include a phone number when asking for a quote, because that is not my preferred method of contact. If I want to speak to you, I'll call you!

I mentioned in another thread I submitted a quote request from the Oceania website and twice have had someone contact me and leave VMs. We've already booked with a TA. I was annoyed that you are required to include a phone number when asking for a quote, because that is not my preferred method of contact. If I want to speak to you, I'll call you!

Simply make up a phone number not yours if you don't want them to contact you. Works every time.

Simply make up a phone number not yours if you don't want them to contact you. Works every time.

There are lots of song that include phone numbers folks can turn to when they don't want to provide their real phone numbers. Given my age, I'm a particular fan of "Beechwood 4- 5789" by the Marvelettes from the 60s. It takes me a moment to figure out the numbers for the "BE" in Beechwood" (2 and 3) but otherwise the numbers are almost as easy to remember as my own.

Slightly younger board readers may want to use the 80s song by Tommy Tutone from the 80s. I once saw a study that said the Tutone song is the phone number most commonly used by people who don't want to provide their real number.

Marvelettes "Beechwood 4- 5789

Tutone's "867-5309/Jenny"

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

But don't those numbers belong to real people! :(

Please don't use fake numbers because those numbers can belong to someone else who will get the annoying calls.

Someone has obviously used my phone number in the past because for almost 9 years, we have received calls for this person. It doesn't matter if I tell the callers that they do not live at our address and we do not know that person. We continue to get calls! :mad:

Please don't use fake numbers because those numbers can belong to someone else who will get the annoying calls.

Someone has obviously used my phone number in the past because for almost 9 years, we have received calls for this person. It doesn't matter if I tell the callers that they do not live at our address and we do not know that person. We continue to get calls! :mad:

Good point, forgot to mention, when possible I use (area code) 555-1212 which is directory assistance and avoid other people receive the calls.

We have had our current phone number since 1972. For 10-15 years we occasionally received calls for a person named Alma. Our number ended in 1015, hers in 1016. I figured Alma have out the wrong number to people she didn't want to bother her but she didn't want to refuse to give them a number.

My solution was just to give those callers her correct number. Eventually the calls stopped.

My understanding is that immediately after "Jenny" came out, this was a problem. Not too long afterwards, the phone company retired that specific phone number. Problem solved.

The Beechwood phone number was ever a real phone number.

And today, we got a hand-written note card from an Oceania person (there was also a business card enclosed; so, yes, Oceania and not a TA) saying she "look(ed) forward to helping (us) plan (our) Oceania Experience."

Must be a new marketing ploy :eek: