Minimalism when packing for a cruise

I enjoy the 'proud' light packers. Pack light if you want and less clothes and more money works but.... Some of us like having choices for clothes and jewelry I won't were ugly just cause it's easy and I won't give up make up even though I don't need it and husband doesn't mind. I style my hair - enjoy dressing up and have fun doing it.

Travel in one bag if you like -- I'll take more thanks - I you can usually spot the 'one baggers' by their shoes and outfits LOL

Interesting because I've packed in a carry-on for our past 2 cruises and have received numerous compliments on my outfits (from complete strangers, mind you).

And I wear full makeup & at least 1 piece of jewelry every day. My hair is easy to maintain but that's an overall life choice, not a cruise choice.

And its so nice to not be dragging numerous large bags through airports & ports.

• Like 1

For a cruise - one roll-on suitcase each, one small bag that will fit on top of the roll-on + back-pack for meds, valuables and credentials. Easy self-disembarkation. We laugh at those that struggle with a lot of baggage. We did one trip to Italy for two weeks and one to Spain for two weeks with carry-ons (BTW one week was in a clothing optional resort). For a cruise I have a silk sport jacket that doesn't crease for "formal" nights. Other nights - Dockers & a golf shirt. For my wife - pants & a blouse (dressy one for formal nights). Did one week at Club Orient (clothing optional) with one carry-on for the two of us + a back-packs.

Bravo!!

• 1 month later...

Ways I cut back on my toiletry items:

Old contact lens cases are good for hair gel, styling cream, etc and are 3-1-1 bag friendly

OTC medications - minimus.biz has individual packets of just about everything, this may not seem like a money saver until you go to the shop on the ship to purchase one of these items. I have a snack sized ziplock with several single dose medications for various ailments. the bonus is that they are clearly identifiable and have directions on them.

Razor and Toothbrush - take one that you are just about ready to throw out and toss it on the last morning.

Craft stores sell little plastic bags that I use for earrings, advil, and vitamins.

I used to use several cosmetic bags to take all my toiletries and personal items and have come to realize that putting things in clear bags instead makes it easy to unpack and easier to find things. Ziplocks work and I also have a few that are a bit thicker that can be reused.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an upcoming wedding coming up in October and bought a set of packing cubes. I too am tired of lugging big suitcases around, so this will be a first for me. The presents will be shipped so it's only me for 1 week. Has anyone ever had a bad or good experience with these cubes? Thanks

Did the same thing....Found out I brought too many pair of shorts and tops. Spent most of the days in swimsuits and coverups.

This trip I'm bringing casual sundresses that can be used at night and also during day as bathing suite coverups or to go to trivia, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I enjoy the 'proud' light packers. Pack light if you want and less clothes and more money works but.... Some of us like having choices for clothes and jewelry I won't were ugly just cause it's easy and I won't give up make up even though I don't need it and husband doesn't mind. I style my hair - enjoy dressing up and have fun doing it.

Travel in one bag if you like -- I'll take more thanks - I you can usually spot the 'one baggers' by their shoes and outfits LOL

Yes, I am a proud "light" packer but you would never know it. We've recently been to Europe 5x with only a 22'' carry on each and a large tote as my personal item and a backpack for DH. This includes a DSLR camera, folding tripod and an i pad. Two of the trips were 15 days (not cruise) but we "did" have access to apt washing machine. The couple traveling with us also only uses one 22'' bag. When I adopted this idea just before our first trip, there was no way my GF was going to be lugging steamer trunks while we were so light. Several trips later...we wouldn't do any other way. We strategically use packing cubes (Container Store....they can give you a packing lesson in store) and push it to the max. Two of our trips were river cruises and we never wore the same thing (tops) twice and had a hefty supply of jewelry and make up. I brought 5 pairs of shoes (even boots), slippers, pajamas, a few jackets, several light weight cardigans, layering tanks that take no space at all, several scarves/pashminas. My "ace in the hole" item was a "nice" pair of boot cut black yoga pants. I often wore during day with a black trench, denim jacket, or cardigan, etc...

Ok, they were resort casual cruises, so no formal wear was needed and trips were in cooler climates. Many of my tops are from Chicos (not the Travelers line nor the frumpy "mature" pieces) and they have a lot of lightweight layering pieces and fabulous jewelry. I was often complemented on my evening attire and our new friends on board were shocked to hear that we only had one 22'' bag each. By the last night I was giving packing tutorials.

Our traveling style involves walking across the cobblestone streets of Paris, Amsterdam, Italy, etc...on and off airport trains, up and down metro steps, etc....This would be a real joke with any luggage much bigger.

Just my 2 cents. Just because you pack light, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to look it (although I'm sure some "do" look it )

Different stokes...

Just one more packing/ money saving tip...

Regarding Perfume and Cologne...

Sephora has tiny spray ampules for giving samples of their perfumes.

Whenever I shop there (and develop and good rapport with one of the sales people) I sort of sheepishly ask if I could have a few of those empty spray vials. I've never been turned down.

I take the cap off and spray my own perfume or DH's cologne and replace the cap. Each vial will take about 30 spritzes of your cologne. Takes no room at all.

I have always packed lots of stuff and then wear more coverups and bathing suits all week. I laid out our calendar with dinners and such and planned packing from there. I don't wear much makeup on cruises and it was liberating to know that I can pack everything I need for a week in a carry on!

Just one more packing/ money saving tip...

Regarding Perfume and Cologne...

Sephora has tiny spray ampules for giving samples of their perfumes.

Whenever I shop there (and develop and good rapport with one of the sales people) I sort of sheepishly ask if I could have a few of those empty spray vials. I've never been turned down.

I take the cap off and spray my own perfume or DH's cologne and replace the cap. Each vial will take about 30 spritzes of your cologne. Takes no room at all.

great idea! I usually ask for a couple sample vials (full) at the Estee counter when I make a purchase to use when I travel for work. I have a friend that shops at Peebles that regularly gets a couple of them when she buys anything there.

I have always packed lots of stuff and then wear more coverups and bathing suits all week. I laid out our calendar with dinners and such and planned packing from there. I don't wear much makeup on cruises and it was liberating to know that I can pack everything I need for a week in a carry on!

I do the calendar thing too! It really helped me cut back to just what I needed!

• 3 weeks later...

We have to take medications daily. So I found small plastic bags that seal like zip locks. I found a pack of 50 at most drug stores. Put all one day or morning and night I one bag. Helps keep organized and know what has been taken. Always pack one extra day incase of delays ( and they have happened). Takes up much less room than pill bottles. Also have a couple with general drugs, just in case.

We have to take medications daily. So I found small plastic bags that seal like zip locks. I found a pack of 50 at most drug stores. Put all one day or morning and night I one bag. Helps keep organized and know what has been taken. Always pack one extra day incase of delays ( and they have happened). Takes up much less room than pill bottles. Also have a couple with general drugs, just in case.

I've done this with vitamins/supplements too! I got a pack of tiny ziplocks at Michaels for a couple dollars. When I travel for work I also use one for a pair or two of earrings and then just put it in my makeup bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can't pack in a carry on for a cruise of 7 days or longer. I enjoy dressing for dinner every night and taking shoes to match. We did just take a 8 day land trip in carryons but that's different because we didn't dress up for dinner.

I do love my packing cubes though. I just pop them in the drawers and I am done unpacking plus it keeps them cleaner in the drawers.( I do wipe the drawers out with Clorox wipes before I use them.) I even use one for toiletries. First I put stuff in ziplocks and then put all the ziplocks in the cubes. Keeps it all organized on the counter. Great for land travel too.

My cabin hacks take up almost no room in the suitcase. Magnets, shoe rack for closet fold flat and small. Snorkle equipment takes up a lot room, it's a large beach bag size which we put in the main suitcase.

Great ideas though in this thread.

Those that can pack in a carry on or small suitcase - I envy you. For me, I can't even get all my medications and equipment in a small case. Then my camera, yes, I take a real camera. I don't take tons of shoes but I do take things like a clock for the nightstands and big drinking glasses. I drink a lot and those piddly glasses don't work for me. I hate the hair dryer in hotels and on the ship so that comes along. I suppose if I were in your shoes I'd leave that at home. i stopped wearing make up a long time ago. I've been married 40 years. I don't have to impress anyone but him and he's fine with it. I do take a small baggies with miscellaneous bathroom stuff like band aids, neosporin etc.

Leave out the shoe organizer, the duct tape, the night light, highlighters, magnets and all the other crap that people insist you need. Take what you would if you were going to your relatives for a week. Geez.

I've cut back but I still take what I want to take. I have a LOT more room now that I can't take my alcohol bottles. :D

I made up my mind to pack in a carry on last cruise. I could have fit in my dryer but opted not to because "the hotels and the cruise will have them - I checked". The hair dryer in the hotel would cut off right after it finally got warmed up. The dryer in our cabin was about as effective as having my spouse stand across the cabin and blow air at my head. Next time my hair dryer goes with me. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I do the calendar thing too! It really helped me cut back to just what I needed!
Yeah, I agree. When I think about what I think I need, I start piling up clothes ... but when I write out on a calendar what I actually need (i.e., thinking about what I'd want to wear for a shore excursion), the pile becomes so much smaller.

I try to eliminate all the extra shoes by packing all clothes that match one pair of black shoes. That saves a lot of room! Won't work for everyone, I know there are some that want diff shoes every outfit. You can almost eliminate an extra bag by doing this.

I try to eliminate all the extra shoes by packing all clothes that match one pair of black shoes. That saves a lot of room! Won't work for everyone, I know there are some that want diff shoes every outfit. You can almost eliminate an extra bag by doing this.

I LOVE shoes but I can do a cruise with 3 pairs: 1 pair of walking shoes (I like sketchers or Clarks), 1 pair of boots (that I wear on the plane so I don't have to pack) & a pair of strappy flat sandals for dinner.

For a cruise - one roll-on suitcase each, one small bag that will fit on top of the roll-on + back-pack for meds, valuables and credentials. Easy self-disembarkation. We laugh at those that struggle with a lot of baggage. We did one trip to Italy for two weeks and one to Spain for two weeks with carry-ons (BTW one week was in a clothing optional resort). For a cruise I have a silk sport jacket that doesn't crease for "formal" nights. Other nights - Dockers & a golf shirt. For my wife - pants & a blouse (dressy one for formal nights). Did one week at Club Orient (clothing optional) with one carry-on for the two of us + a back-packs.

Well, it is certainly easier to pack using just a carryon when you don't need to pack clothes but most of us do need clothes. Frankly you do not want to see me naked LOL.

Well, it is certainly easier to pack using just a carryon when you don't need to pack clothes but most of us do need clothes. Frankly you do not want to see me naked LOL.

We're nudists. We go to Blind Creek Beach on Florida's Treasure Coast once or twice a week. It's a clothing optional (c/o) beach You'll find that nudists do not engage in body shaming. We've seen all shapes & sizes including women who have had a mastectomy. BTW - I'm 73 & my wife is 71. Find a c/o beach and enjoy - nobody cares what you look like.

For most cruises, I can get by with one pair of comfortable sandals (such as birks) which are worn to embark and debark, and I pack pair of strappy metallic sandals for dress, and flip flops. we usually cruise Carnival, so really dressy things are not needed. Not having to pack lots of shoes frees up a lot of room in the suitcase. I pack mix and match (e.g. : Capris and tops, etc) so I don't need a separate outfit for each day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I took another CC advice and took sundresses for dinner on my last cruise-saved soooo much space not having to pack tops and bottoms. I was cooler on the ship and was able to wear a dress for 2 separate nights.Could even wear 1 for lunch on a sea day.And I was comfortable-even with a slight sun burn towards the end.Did not wear pantyhose either-just sandals.