just inquisitive

lis1407

Hi,

We got a mail from Oceania ( jan 27th ) with theire new lower fares for the Med sea including the OLIVE choise.IMO really cheap.I wonder why.

So i booked and we are going on the "inaugural voyage" 27 april on the Sirena.

My question is;what's special about"inaugural voyage"apart from beeing the first sailing of the Sirena?

just curious :)

thanks

Gilbert

Hi,

We got a mail from Oceania ( jan 27th ) with theire new lower fares for the Med sea including the OLIVE choise.IMO really cheap.I wonder why.

My question is;what's special about"inaugural voyage"apart from beeing the first sailing of the Sirena?

thanks

Gilbert

On the lighter side: if a contractor dropped a tool in the plumbing system during the retrofit work, you may be the first person to realize it.

On the lighter side: if a contractor dropped a tool in the plumbing system during the retrofit work, you may be the first person to realize it.

Thanks for the Your answer...very helpful...

in this case,any compensation or reward?:confused:

Gilbert

Hi,

thanks

Gilbert

Crews on new ships are brought together from other ships in the line. The lead person in each category tends to be one of the strongest employees in the line. That will benefit cruisers, but the personnel as a whole has never worked together before.

Sirena's waiters and chefs appear to have the biggest learning curve; two new-to-R-ships specialty restaurants will be installed. Red Ginger is an established part of the "O" ships but Sirena's waiters and chefs may find some differences in the Red Ginger layout on a "R" ship. Tuscan Steak will offer a menu featuring food previously were served in separate specialty restaurants, and that may take some adjustment.

Obviously, there may be technical equipment installed on Sirena that is newer and requires a learning curve, too.

There may be a couple of days where things don't function as seamlessly as desired. On the other hand, crews are very proud of being chosen to serve on new ships and enthusiasm and a special level of commitment ought to carry them through the rough places.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

A maiden voyage is of course unique. The passengers on Marina and Riviera can tell you the experience is worthwhile. That being said, everything may not be 100%. Having been the first passengers on board Viking ocean's Star, the TVs didn't function, the bathrooms were eratic, the kitchens needed training, and more. But I wouldn't have missed it.

We are also on this cruise and have sailed 8 other times with Oceania. Just an FYI - the prices on many O voyages were dropped for 2016. The Sirena is an older "R" ship purchased from Princess that has been retrofitted. I believe the Insignia was retrofitted as well after the fire. Whereas this is an inaugural it is not a brand new ship so I am hoping that there will not be all those "new" bumps in the road. I believe Jacques Pepin will be on the voyage since his daughter is the godmother. FDR may even be aboard which may make for smoother sailings.

Edited by TERRIER1

A maiden voyage is of course unique. The passengers on Marina and Riviera can tell you the experience is worthwhile. That being said, everything may not be 100%. Having been the first passengers on board Viking ocean's Star, the TVs didn't function, the bathrooms were eratic, the kitchens needed training, and more. But I wouldn't have missed it.

IT SEEMS SO NEGATIVE TO ME !!!

But You would'thave missed it. Why ???

Gilbert

We are also on this cruise and have sailed 8 other times with Oceania. Just an FYI - the prices on many O voyages were dropped for 2016. The Sirena is an older "R" ship purchased from Princess that has been retrofitted. I believe the Insignia was retrofitted as well after the fire. Whereas this is an inaugural it is not a brand new ship so I am hoping that there will not be all those "new" bumps in the road. I believe Jacques Pepin will be on the voyage since his daughter is the godmother. FDR may even be aboard which may make for smoother sailings.

Hi

i didn't know about Jaques Pepin or/and his daughter and Frank Del Rio may be on this trip.

It certainly is a reason to perform better,although it has been exellent on my 6 previous cruises on Oceania.

See You on the ship.

We are the ones with that strange flemish language.

Gilbert

Edited by lis1407

We are also on this cruise and have sailed 8 other times with Oceania. Just an FYI - the prices on many O voyages were dropped for 2016. The Sirena is an older "R" ship purchased from Princess that has been retrofitted. I believe the Insignia was retrofitted as well after the fire. .

I think the refurbishment was done after the lease to Hapag lloyd long before the fire that was in the engine room not the rest of the ship

I think the refurbishment was done after the lease to Hapag lloyd long before the fire that was in the engine room not the rest of the ship

Yes, I was on Insignia on the voyage before the fire and it had been refurbished.

You really cant compare Viking Star and Sirena..Viking came from the shipyard and Sirena has been in service many years and what is being changed is mainly cosmetic..and decor..

Jancruz1

It wont be a shake-down cruise, but a refurbishment. No structural or engineering gross changes... just taking the current run down Island Princess and turning it into a luxury ship with luxury fittings........Like a Ritz Carlton. from a Novotel.

However, after Jan 1 2016 there is NO more O life, unless you booked before Jan 1.

Now it is O "choice" and you only get 1 of 3 choices.

You will have zero problems and many great experiences with such a quality transformation...

It wont be a shake-down cruise, but a refurbishment. No structural or engineering gross changes... just taking the current run down Island Princess and turning it into a luxury ship with luxury fittings........Like a Ritz Carlton. from a Novotel.

However, after Jan 1 2016 there is NO more O life, unless you booked before Jan 1.

Now it is O "choice" and you only get 1 of 3 choices.

You will have zero problems and many great experiences with such a quality transformation...

hi Hawaiidan

I consult the others expecting to see my opinion confirmed.

Thank you all

Gilbert

Edited by lis1407