Bringing wine aboard at embarkation?

Captain Vancouver

I can think of two reasons. If not properly packaged it could break inside your suitcase. The other is when your bag is scanned and a bottle or two show up the cruise line isn't going to know if it's wine or booze. Then expect them to search your bag.

Why not in luggage?

I can think of two reasons. If not properly packaged it could break inside your suitcase. The other is when your bag is scanned and a bottle or two show up the cruise line isn't going to know if it's wine or booze. Then expect them to search your bag.

...also you could be called down to the naughty room and possible delay getting your luggage delivered to your room.

For years I always put 2 bottles of wine in each suitcase. Sometime I have done box wine. I have never been called to the knotty room. Now with the drink packages, Captains Club Events and MC I don't bring wine on board.

Although it is 2 bottles per Stateroom, they have no way of tracking that as you board the ship. We purchase the premium package so it is not an issue for us, but you could pack two bottles each in your carry on's, board a minute apart ( let another couple get in line between you and your spouse) and no one would know that you and your spouse brought on 2 bottles each.

Ha, I loved the booze smuggling threads too! Our upcoming cruise (in 14 days with Celebrity, for the first time) includes a beverage package. I am quite happy to upgrade to the Premium package if we can get a nice wine. Trouble is, the types of wine on board are usually too sweet and fruity for our taste, we love a nice, grassy, Semillon Sav Blanc. So, the wine I take on board might just be for dinner times :)

We were on HAL a few years ago - nice wine night 1, nice on night 2, $93 per bottle on night 3 .... no way!

I have learned the hard way to take my preferred wine on board if and when possible.

If cruise lines want to sail Australian itineraries then they should stock the wines, and cocktails, and beers to suit.

I look at the cocktails on the beverage package and not one is familiar to me! It is all American cocktails.

Rant over :D

Ha, I loved the booze smuggling threads too! Our upcoming cruise (in 14 days with Celebrity, for the first time) includes a beverage package. I am quite happy to upgrade to the Premium package if we can get a nice wine. Trouble is, the types of wine on board are usually too sweet and fruity for our taste, we love a nice, grassy, Semillon Sav Blanc. So, the wine I take on board might just be for dinner times :)

We were on HAL a few years ago - nice wine night 1, nice on night 2, $93 per bottle on night 3 .... no way!

I have learned the hard way to take my preferred wine on board if and when possible.

If cruise lines want to sail Australian itineraries then they should stock the wines, and cocktails, and beers to suit.

I look at the cocktails on the beverage package and not one is familiar to me! It is all American cocktails.

Rant over :D

I'm also on a Transatlantic so no booze package. Was considering separating a bit from the hubby in line to try to get an extra bottle. I can't remember how that would work though for showing documentation - or maybe we don't show it at the security stage?

Last year the staff allowed my friends to take on an extra bottle. They couldn't find the claim tickets for confiscation (we were among first few through security) and after a kerfuffle just said 'never mind'. That's the kind of thing that always happens to those two though, not me!

I use Rum Runners (google it) and have never had a problem, no matter if packed in my luggage (on embarkation) or carried on in my backpack (if able to buy my wine on a port visit). Had a great cruise from Sydney to Fremantle (and Bali) and stocked up on wine at a couple of ports, carried on my backpack, and all was fine :) But, I will admit to trying to look like the backpack weighed very little!

As I say, I am happy to buy wine on board if it is to our taste not that of the American market, or $93 per bottle.

Damn ...left a Rum Runner of Baileys Irish Cream in the fridge when we disembarked once. Ugh!

Pot stirred?

• 2 weeks later...
Although it is 2 bottles per Stateroom, they have no way of tracking that as you board the ship. We purchase the premium package so it is not an issue for us, but you could pack two bottles each in your carry on's, board a minute apart ( let another couple get in line between you and your spouse) and no one would know that you and your spouse brought on 2 bottles each.

Jesus will know and he could change the bottles from wine to water. :D

Can someone clarify for me the rules on bringing wine aboard at embarkation. Are my wife and I permitted 2 bottles of wine?

Celebrity says:

Q: Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

A: No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

Having read the official policy, you can now consider the many and varied suggestions for defeating the policy should you so choose! :)

Not sure why anyone would being wine onboard unless they want a specific wine. You really have to try hard to book a Celebrity cruise WITHOUT the free Beverage Package AND Prepaid Gratuities and/or OBC!

Sadly it is impossible to get any offers on Eclipse UK cruises in 2017, so far!

I am hoping an offer comes along though. Ironically the 2017 prices are higher than those for 2016 that include the drinks package and obc.

Not sure why anyone would being wine onboard unless they want a specific wine. You really have to try hard to book a Celebrity cruise WITHOUT the free Beverage Package AND Prepaid Gratuities and/or OBC!

Wrong,

We are elite and don't want the beverage package, since outside of happy hour, we probably spend about $250 for alcohol for both of us for a 14 day cruise.

Our next cruise is a TA, which was priced without the GoBBB, thankfully.

Do you people realize that cruise lines patrol these forums? Talking about smuggling booze on a boat is like going to the police and turning yourself in for speeding. Stupid:confused::confused:

And violating Celebrity's liquor policies whether you discuss it here or not, is essentially theft (you are stealing celebrity's profit).....but apparently many sem to think it's OK

Edited by ghstudio

• 1 month later...