Eclipse - Lawn Club

pmcue

I thought the Eclipse currently has the Lawn Club on Deck 15. I guess I'll find out on our 3 April 2016 Caribbean Cruise on the Eclipse.

There IS a Lawn Club. I think what they are saying is that there is no Lawn Club Grill. :)

The Corning Hot Glass show is where the Lawn Club Grill is on the newer S Class ships. They would need to remove all of the hot glass equipment in order to add the restaurant. I do not believe there are any current plans to make this happen

I hope not! The Hot Glass Show was the (unexpected) highlight of our Eclipse cruise. This is so much better than the touristy glass shows we have seen other places -- it's too bad they aren't allowed to sell their creations, but the prices they get at the charity auction on the last day are out of my league anyway! Maybe next time we'll win one of the door prizes at the end of a show. :)

We sailed the Equinox in January, and the Corning glass-blowers there commented that there had been rumors that the Hot Glass show would be discontinued and removed from the three ships where it is currently present (Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse), but that these rumors are absolutely not true. So no, it is not likely that the Hot Glass show will be replaced by the Lawn Club Grill on any of these three ships. As another response already pointed out, the Lawn Club (i.e. the grass lawn itself) is alive and well on these ships and is a fantastic area for relaxation, sun-tanning, picnics, sail-away drinks, and more!

Edited by Psilor

I have been on 4 cruises with the so called LAWN, and, well maybe I have not been up there at the right time but I never saw over 2-4 people using the lawn,. I would not be unhappy, if they did away with much of it and put in a much need activity there like a good, note good miniature golf course.

Edited by north29

I have been on 4 cruises with the so called LAWN, and, well maybe I have not been up there at the right time but I never saw over 2-4 people using the lawn,. I would not be unhappy, if they did away with much of it and put in a much need activity there like a good, note good miniature golf course.

Well, that is certainly a relevant aspect. If only a few people use a feature it does not make sense for Celebrity to keep it, when they could replace it with something else which more people can enjoy (and therefore ultimately bringing more business to the cruise line). They have already partly done this on the two last ships in the S class - Silhouette and Reflection - where they replaced the Hot Glass show with the Lawn Club Grill, added the Porch restaurant on the side, and added private cabanas on the lawn to make use of that surface.

I would nevertheless make the case for keeping the lawn as is, based on not seeing it only as a feature for potential activities, but also almost as a work of art, or "ambience-creating" installation. If a ship for example has a big work of art on the wall in the atrium, it is meant to be beautiful to look at and create a certain ambience. Even though it is not used for activities, it has its own value. For me it is the same with the lawn. Even though it is not necessarily utilized to a large extent by a lot of people, it creates a great ambience, and gives the ship a certain "soul". Everyone knows it is there, and maybe walk across it a couple of times during their cruise, or spend at least a few minutes during one afternoon or evening on it. To me this is of great value to the whole experience, even if it is not well used in terms of "activity minutes", and a miniature golf course there would in my view completely ruin the character of the ship.

Edited by Psilor

In July 0f 2015 there was no Grill, no Porch on Eclipse.

It was the Corning show etc

No private cabanas either...

Was lovely though--many took advantage of the lawn/sunshine...lots of people spread out on blankets/towels.

and some kids played "rugby" on part of the lawn... a grand time

Edited by Fogfog

One of our favorite memories from our Eclipse So. Carib sailing two years ago was the sailaways on the lawn. Folk guitarist, blankets, wine & cheese. Very relaxing. Hope this is still being done. Will find out on the 4/3/16 sailing. Would hate to see another public area given over to a few folks in cabanas.