LIVE from The Anthem of the Seas - February 6, 2016

bedazzler

Hello:

I took a look at the inappropriate display issue as described by you and those that emailed us, and it appears it was isolated to those using the TAPATALK app to view the forums.

If anyone was using the actual Cruise Critic version of the app (it clearly states Cruise Critic and it has our colors), please let us know at help@cruisecritic.com.

Laura

Laura, it was finally removed on Tapatalk a few minutes ago. It never showed up on my laptop as anything but a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello:

I took a look at the inappropriate display issue as described by you and those that emailed us, and it appears it was isolated to those using the TAPATALK app to view the forums.

If anyone was using the actual Cruise Critic version of the app (it clearly states Cruise Critic and it has our colors), please let us know at help@cruisecritic.com.

Laura

I only saw it on Tapatalk.

After I saw it I uninstalled the Tapatalk App. I also have the Cruise Critic app and since I only visit Cruise Critic Message boards, I really don't need Tapatalk also.

Edited by CruisingChick

We were on a cruise on Allure in December 2013 where the stabilizers were out. Couldn't even really tell. I wouldn't say they're tremendously important. I'm not sure if they'll cancel the following cruise because of it or not though.
Your a breath of fresh air, your attitude is amazing! Wish more folks had your thought process and disposition. By the way the ship will be sailing this weekend without skipping a beat, amazing again! Can't wait to board her on March 7th! Again thanks for the updates!....K.O.:)

From another perspective, on Allure in September we encountered 50+mph winds. The boat swayed a bit. No more so than being on a raft in a pool. They closed the outside decks but that was all. The forecast for Sunday was for 46-57mph with 30 ft swells. This boat could have easily have handled that but this is not what happened. The storm developed into something far different but still, the boat and the captain handled it as they returned with what seems to be only minor damage. Take news media with a grain of salt. They only want to report sensational news. Lawyers are looking for a payday. RC I believe did well by the passengers with full refund and 50% off plus open bar after the storm.

I wonder how/if they're going to do a proper assessment of any structural damage.

Ideally they would dry dock her and take a look underneath, but clearly that's not going to happen.

Next best would be to get some divers down there in clearer, warmer waters, but that's not going to happen in the cold murky waters in NJ.

So how have they properly assessed damage?

It wouldn't stop me from cruising at all, but somewhere in the back of my mind would be this concern.

Cosmetic damage is one thing, but I'd love to know how they can confidently say that was the only damage.

Just because water isn't coming in now, doesn't mean that something wasn't compromised and that it won't lead to problems later.

This was a freak situation, and the Capt. saved lives by using his skills as a seasoned veteran at the helm. But, I've said this on other threads

1) Capt. Will be fired. (PR MOVE)

2) ship will have to go into dry dock for hull inspection. (Knee jerk reaction)

3) next 2 cruises will be canceled.("Sorry folks, Wally World is closed. The moose out front should of told ya")

You absolutely have said this many times in other threads (what is it this week with everyone reposting the same things over and over, it's pretty much the same people checking all the threads so there's no need to re-post.), and it's so irritating because you have no evidence that any of that is going to occur. It's wild speculation and you keep presenting it as inevitable fact.

Please stop. It's ridiculous.

Bedazzler....I missed seeing your post last night that you were supposed to be on GMA and when the segment popped on this morning I was actually looking for y'all. I knew your boyfriend's twitter posts had gotten popular. I'm sorry they snubbed you for the overly dramatic folks. Your perspective would have been nice to have been shown. Wishing you safe flights home!!!! Btw, the fella on GMA insinuating life vests aren't appropriately supplied needs to stop with that mess...and like other poster said....same guy with the meteorologist friend. Ugh!

I just watched ABC GMA clip from today and they had Gord Walker (scummy lawyer) on as too. Amazing what they can do with editing. Rolling my eyes at the reporter's comments at pier side not to mention the lawyer.

They then did a discussion panel with a few guests in studio and one person (many time cruiser) said "they put on their snorkel vest as he said Anthem had no life vests in the cabin, but at Muster Stations". Another mid 20s person left their cabin after 20 minutes "because they couldn't do it", she just didn't want to be in it. One young girl had fun as it was her birthday cruise, but her dad said he was afraid. The many time cruiser noted above said his "meteorologist friend on shore said this storm had been predicted for a week previous to sailing".

The most interesting question was when asked if they were ever to cruise again with a show of hands, almost all raised their hands with a bit of trepidation.

I watched that segment online this morning... I know that I haven't cruised before so I could be totally off, but my thoughts were this...

1. What good is a life vest in your cabin going to do? Wouldn't you need to meet at your muster station in the event of a major emergency? If you are in your room with no way to get to a muster station to evacuate, a life vest isn't going to help much? Or am I wrong? Again, I don't really know as I haven't cruised yet...

2. If that girl had gotten seriously hurt for being outside her cabin, she would be jumping on the lawsuit bandwagon... They are telling you to stay in your cabin so you aren't tossed around like a ragdoll and yet you choose to ignore it and then complain that you are tossed around like a ragdoll?

That whole interview seemed weird...

And I wanted to tell Lindsay that you are awesome! Thank you for all the posts! I find it amazing that people were saying they were never updated and had no idea what was happening, but most of us at home did because you posted it. Just goes to show they weren't paying attention! Thanks again for your awesome updates! Hope you get home safe and sound and enjoy your next cruise!

in terms of the news people only wanting negative reports, it's true. I was on the 2014 Explorer cruise that had the norovirus on it that was forced to cut the cruise short by 3 days so it could be fully cleaned & sanitized. All the news channels waiting at the pier only wanted drama from passengers. The local NJ channel(News12) wanted to interview me. I told them the cruise was great, was upset about coming home 3 days early but overall my family & I had a terrific time. They said thank you but that's not exactly the story they were looking for and walked away.

Ugh, good thing you didn't see what Nancy Grace was saying about this cruise, on Monday. That woman has become a joke and not a good one. Talk about being overly dramatic, plus as she was talking they showed a clip from the movies "Poseidon Adventure" and "The Perfect Storm." Really?

At least they didn't use Tom Hanks on his Castaway raft.

Hey everyone!

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. We're a little bummed (and tired) from the whole ordeal but again, Royal handled everything fantastically and this is why we are Loyal to Royal.

Johnny and I are on the plane for our flight from JFK to PHX now! Still feeling some rocking (I had no idea how much the sensation would stick around - but it totally has!) but everything else looks like it will be fairly uneventful.

Thank you, again, everyone for tuning in. It definitely helps to be respected somewhere on the Internet (despite all the hoopla trying to exaggerate the story).

Edited by bedazzler

The Today Show coverage was not much better. People calling it the cruise from hell and saying they will never sail again.

I cannot pretend to believe what it must have been like for those several hours in the thick of it. But the news showed no one like the OP who clearly cruises often and has a balanced opinion about the entire event.

Kudos to you guys. Glad you are all safe.

Hey everyone!

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. We're a little bummed (and tired) from the whole ordeal but again, Royal handled everything fantastically and this is why we are Loyal to Royal.

Johnny and I are on the plane for our flight from JFK to PHX now! Still feeling some rocking (I had no idea how much the sensation would stick around - but it totally has!) but everything else looks like it will be fairly uneventful.

Thank you, again, everyone for tuning in. It definitely helps to be respected somewhere on the Internet (despite all the hoopla trying to exaggerate the story).

God speed and thanks for sharing with us!

Just saw more sensationalist reporting from the Weather Channel, with lots of "terrified" and "cruise from hell", et cetera. Funny, but on Monday morning after the storm, from that point until Wednesday night I saw nothing on board but happy smiling people. No one was cowering in a corner in tears, no one was petrified or screaming, "Get me off this ship!!" Funny how the news media always goes out of its' way to make the most of a bad situation. My wife and I have been going out of our way in the opposite direction in spite, telling people who ask us that it was "funny" to try to walk around the cabin during the storm. As we passed all the news media maggots on the pier last night, my wife yelled out, "It wasn't that bad!" as we weaved our way through the carrion-pickers to get to the garage quickly.

Just saw more sensationalist reporting from the Weather Channel, with lots of "terrified" and "cruise from hell", et cetera. Funny, but on Monday morning after the storm, from that point until Wednesday night I saw nothing on board but happy smiling people. No one was cowering in a corner in tears, no one was petrified or screaming, "Get me off this ship!!" Funny how the news media always goes out of its' way to make the most of a bad situation. My wife and I have been going out of our way in the opposite direction in spite, telling people who ask us that it was "funny" to try to walk around the cabin during the storm. As we passed all the news media maggots on the pier last night, my wife yelled out, "It wasn't that bad!" as we weaved our way through the carrion-pickers to get to the garage quickly.

Especially loved the last few lines. It's all about sensationalism! I think changes will be made concerning weather at the time of embarkation, but I will be Loyal to Royal! Thank God only 4 minor injuries.

My husband and I were on this cruise. We were told to stay in our cabin and that is what we did! We would not be so foolish as to wander anywhere around the ship in a storm like this.

We made sure no loose objects would fly around the room or the bathroom. We sat up in bed and watched lots of TV - they said all on- demand movies would be free, and that surely helped to pass the time!

The captain updated us fairly often and assured us we were not in danger. We feel he handled the situation very adequately and that the cruise line's compensation is quite fair. We will continue to sail with Royal. The crew was marvelous and we are not whiners!

My husband and I were on this cruise. We were told to stay in our cabin and that is what we did! We would not be so foolish as to wander anywhere around the ship in a storm like this.

We made sure no loose objects would fly around the room or the bathroom. We sat up in bed and watched lots of TV - they said all on- demand movies would be free, and that surely helped to pass the time!

The captain updated us fairly often and assured us we were not in danger. We feel he handled the situation very adequately and that the cruise line's compensation is quite fair. We will continue to sail with Royal. The crew was marvelous and we are not whiners!

This was our experience as well.

We did the same on deck 7 - stayed in cabin and did as we were told.

I can't believe some claimed to have gone out on balcony to film - that could very easily have been suicidal. Waves were insane, crap like balcony dividers were flying around...just nuts.

I thought Capt. Claus and Abe were great, and I hope they can both stay on a long time. Yes, they do need to review decision making / weather forecasting, and they have stated they are doing that.

We will most certainly be using our cruise discount in the coming months.

I thought some of those interviewed were more than a bit over the top with hyperbole. Like the guy who was filmed kissing the ground after walking off the gangplank. I mean come on...Mon through Wed was quite pleasant...seas were not too bad, restaurants were open, things were calm. I just wish pools were open. I know the outside pool had glass issues, but the Solarium pools / hot tubs SEEMED ok. They did work hard cleaning them out, all the same.

So why would you walk off and kiss the ground, other than to ham it up for the cameras? Yes, the storm likely did provoke a lot of anxiety...but that was 3+ days before we docked. I'd sure as hell calmed down long before then, as had most people, from what I could see.

Edited by Kite99