Crown vs. Grand

illiniwahoo

but the lack of central stairs was a killer for us as "addicted photographers". Getting from a midship cabin to the port gangways with two cameras hanging from my shoulders and a third "missile launcher" camera sitting on a shoulder is an absolute chore when watching lots of elevators go by, already full, or contemplating walking forward or aft to a stairwell. Therefore I'd pick any of the ships with a central staircase over the Grand, even if I had to give up that fine pizza...

We always use the stairs and rarely use the elevators on any cruise. As mentioned, I really didn't think the lack of a central staircase would have been a big deal ... and while it wasn't a huge deal, it was annoying. The post who said, why would we care about a short walk if we were going to take the stairs anyway?? Well, it wasn't the walk at all as our cabin was aft. It was the huge crowds of people in the hallways between midship and the aft stairs that all congregated by the photos and in front of the wheelhouse bar on deck 7. Since everyone had to take this route as there were no middle stairs, it is very difficult to pass, forget about it if you were holding a cup of coffee or a drink. It was especially difficult if there were a few strollers / scooters involved....just way too crowded for me. On this cruise, we actually used the elevators more than on any other cruise ... just so we could get up to deck 8 to walk to the aft stairs.

Is the crown in same class as CB?

Although they are a little similar the Crown/Grand are different in many ways......

The Ruby/Crown/Emerald are all the same (sister ships).

They have 1 additional deck (Riviera) which allows these 3 ships to carry an additional 500 plus passengers over the Grand/Star/Golden.

The Grand/Star/Golden are the same. (sister ships)

The Caribbean has the additional Riviera deck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Just booked an 11 day cruise on the Crown Princess for October 2017. Totally new to Princess and picked the Crown due to itinerary. I chose the mini suite because we do like the extra space. Glad to see that a lot of people like the Crown Princess, not being familiar with the line it's hard to know what to choose. Reading the posts here made me feel better about my choice. OMG so excited we can hardly wait! Happy travels.

Hi all. Just booked an 11 day cruise on the Crown Princess for October 2017. Totally new to Princess and picked the Crown due to itinerary. I chose the mini suite because we do like the extra space. Glad to see that a lot of people like the Crown Princess, not being familiar with the line it's hard to know what to choose. Reading the posts here made me feel better about my choice. OMG so excited we can hardly wait! Happy travels.

I think you made an excellent choice. I have sailed on the Crown a few times but have sailed on the Grand once and I much prefer the Crown over the Grand. I am sailing one more time on the Grand (not my choice but someone else in my group). After that, I will wait for a better ship to be deployed to sail out of the port of SF.

We have cruised multiple times on both the Grand and the Crown. They are both fine ships, but we prefer the Grand for many of the reasons already stated. With 500 more passengers but essentially no more public space (except for Adagios) the Crown feels considerably more crowded. This is especially true for dining and shows. We also love the covered pool/conservatory area. The Atrium/Piazza area on the Grand was totally renovated in late 2012 and is stunning. This is when they added the Alfredos.

I've sailed on both the Crown and Grand a couple times each. IMO, the Crown is a nicer ship and I would choose it. There wasn't any Noro when I was on the Crown last year. The Grand is older and has some maintenance issues.

This is the reason we are flying to LA next weekend to board Crown.

We are newbies to Princess, and I wanted to do a Calif. Coastal.

It would have been MUCH Easier to board Grand in SF.

But while I was deciding Crown Or, Grand? Heard about Grand basically breaking down going to Hawaii, yada yada.....No thanks.

So decided to bite the bullet for alittle newer ship & take Crown out of LA.

Of course, THEN we started hearing horror stories of Noro on Crown....

And I began to think, what the heck did I do?

I got Noro Once, and it kicked my A$$ so hoping to Never catch again!

My Fingers are crossed on Crown. :cool:

I've sailed on both the Crown and Grand a couple times each. IMO, the Crown is a nicer ship and I would choose it. There wasn't any Noro when I was on the Crown last year. The Grand is older and has some maintenance issues.

I agree.

Basically took her off our sailing list when they removed Skywalkers and put in One5. :rolleyes:

I have not been on the Grand as of yet but can someone explain the "lack of a center staircase"?

Do you mean the staircases from deck 5 to 7 in the Piazza or the stairs in back of central elevators?

There are steps in the Piazza area. No staircase behind the elevators.

• 5 months later...

We have not sailed the grand but have sailed the crown three times. Never a problem with noro. Never felt crowded. It is a lovely ship with everything you could want. I would obviously choose her. Also san franCisco is a much nicer city TO tour than LA. We have taken this cruise and it is terrific. I'm sure either cruise will be great. Good luck.

Edited by joeyancho

I have a fondness for the Grand. It has two different types of cabins that I really enjoy: the covered balconies on Emerald forward and the floor-to-ceiling window oceanviews on Lido. The covered balconies on Emerald probably aren't many people's favorites, but I like them a lot. I like to be forward in a ship. People on the promenade deck walk right by the glass in the front of the balcony, and I like that. The floor-to-ceiling oceanviews on Lido are just about my favorite cabin ever. Front of the ship and up high really does it for me. And that great big window is wonderful. Again, I doubt these are universal favorites.

We have sailed on the grand several times sailing it again on the New Years cruise love this ship , we always have heard of the problem with the noro on the crown but decided to try it anyway so we sailed earlier this year and my wife came down with the noro on day two ruined the whole cruise will not step on that ship again

We have sailed on the grand several times sailing it again on the New Years cruise love this ship , we always have heard of the problem with the noro on the crown but decided to try it anyway so we sailed earlier this year and my wife came down with the noro on day two ruined the whole cruise will not step on that ship again

That was very unfortunate. I guess your wife was quarantined. Were you included?

Everyone has their opinion of which is better, but as similar as both ships are, they are quite different.

Objectively, the Grand has fewer passengers, a covered pool (nice in the colder pacific waters), more of a "cosmopolitan" feeling atrium, Alfredos, and all rooms other than mini-suites and suites are organized just slightly different, the result is less closet space but a bit more room in the bathroom. The grand is quite a bit older, and lacks the central stairway.

Subjectively, the grand has less of a flowing italian theme, but i think a better night club/lounge experience.

Both ships are very nice, but if it were me, I think I might go with the ship with 600 fewer passengers (Grand)

That was very unfortunate. I guess your wife was quarantined. Were you included?

Yes she was quarantined I wasn't but I stayed with her that day to keep her company would of felt bad to go out and have fun while she was in the room by herself

I've cruised on both the Crown and the Grand multiple times and the Grand is my least favorite ship out of the entire Princess fleet. I sailed on her to Hawaii and back last year which reconfirmed to me why I prefer the Crown and other Princess ships.

No matter what people say, preferences are subjective and based on the posters personal likes and dislikes. What can't be refuted is that the Grand's cabins are smaller and have a lot less storage. The closet is half the size compared to the Crown as is the wardrobe shelf closet. I didn't like the One5 as much as Skywalker's although I understand the reasons for removing it.

Edited by Pam in CA

• 2 weeks later...
If you can spend a day or two before or after your cruise, Grand is a clear winner. Spending time in San Francisco would be far preferable to L.A. Plus, having sailed Crown thrice in the last couple of years, with Noro-virus on board all three times, I am weary of that ship. But I won't be on Grand until next month, so I don't know much about her yet.

My wife and I have cruised on both the Grand Princess (107,517 tons) and the Golden Princess (108,865 tons) but we have not cruised on the Crown Princess (113,561 tons). Personally we would select the Grand Princess.

The Grand class is a class of cruise ships. Ships in the class are operated by the cruise lines Princess Cruises or P&O Cruises. The class consists of several series (subclasses) of sister ships, most of which were built by Fincantieri in Monfalcone and Trieste, northern Italy. The first vessel of the original Grand class, the Grand Princess, entered service in 1998.

Ships of the later subclasses are based on the Grand class, but have modifications such as additional decks and varied placement of major amenities such as the nightclub and restaurants. The 'Skywalkers' nightclub is a signature element of Princess Cruises' ships in the Grand class and derived classes. The nightclub either overhangs the stern of the ship (Grand and Caribbean classes) or is located just aft of the funnel (Gem and Crown classes).

The Gem class of ships is based primarily on the Grand class, but modifies the placement of the Skywalkers nightclub to be just aft of the funnel and also modifies the number of restaurants. The two Gem class ships were built by Mitsubishi in Nagasaki, Japan in 2004.

The Caribbean class is the third version of the design and has one additional deck. As in the original Grand class design, the Skywalkers nightclub is suspended on the stern. Caribbean class vessels also pioneered in the introduction of 'Movies Under the Stars', a cruise ship poolside theater, which was later added to other Princess ships.

The Crown class is the fourth Princess Cruises version of the Grand class. Crown class ships have returned the placement of the nightclub adjacent to the funnel. Crown class ships also feature 'Movies Under the Stars' like the Caribbean class.

The Ventura class has 19 decks like the Crown class. These ships all owned and operated by P&O Cruises and are marketed as Grand class, although they were given the Ventura class designation because they are not owned by Princess and are totally modified internally and externally. The first ship, MV Ventura, features the 'Cirque Ventura', the world's first circus school at sea. Ventura is also the largest ship in the Grand class. The second Ventura class ship is MS Azura, launched in March 2010. Azura has a modified stern and features amenities designed for the general public as compared to Ventura, which is more family oriented. "Azura" is also the only P&O Cruises ship to feature a 'Movies Under the Stars' style outdoor screen, branded by P&O Cruises as 'SeaScreen'.

Have a great time on whichever ship you decide.

Alan

Are you in marketing? I doubt I know anyone else who chooses their cruise ship based on six-digit accuracy in GRT.

Personally, the Grand is the ship I'm least likely to choose amongst all of the Grandiose variants. The ships directly related to Grand at least have the central passenger stairwell, which improves the passenger flow. The Diamond and Sapphire have a vastly improved ATD experience because of the slicing and dicing of the MDRs. The Ruby/Emerald/Crown might have more passengers, but the additional deck creates more options for deck layout that I happen to really like - Adagio Bar is somewhat the unsung secret spot on those ships.

• 1 month later...

Just back from the Crown, and I would pick the Grand any day. The Crowns buffet has to be the worst layout of any ship I've been on. Perhaps if Princess had the staff to man the center exit it would flow better. Crown has the Caribe Cafe which is nice, and the International Cafe isn't an add on and it flows better. Center staircase isn't a deal killer for us. We always stay as far aft as possible. The Crowns elevators tried to take your body parts off where as you could take a nap in the Grands elevators before the doors closed. The Salty Dogs burger was incredible, the other side dishes were so-so. Love the staff on the Grand and for the first time on a Princess ship,the Crown, ran into crew members who were rude and condescending. Hope those few who did act that way like the comment cards they got from myself and a few others. I don't expect everyone to be having a great day everyday, but I also don't like their problems being taken out on me.

As others have posted likes/dislikes are all person choices. For my wife and I, we can't wait to get back on the Grand in Feb.