Does it ever get old?

It's so much fun reading all your responses and finding that I'm not alone. I don't ever want to get so jaded that it becomes commonplace.

A big thank you to each of you for all the positive energy.

It can never be commonplace to me, because there could always come a day when I won't be able to afford to cruise or my health will prevent me from cruising....so as long as those things don't impede my cruising -- it is a simple luxury that DH and I enjoy, even if the luxury has changed over the years.

It can never be commonplace to me, because there could always come a day when I won't be able to afford to cruise or my health will prevent me from cruising....so as long as those things don't impede my cruising -- it is a simple luxury that DH and I enjoy, even if the luxury has changed over the years.

That's the way I feel. I've had a few vacations that had to be cancelled, so I never take them for granted ... and when the day comes that it's time to leave the ship and head home I always look back for a last glimpse of the ship without tears ... and I silently offer a thank you for the trip that successfully completed.

Not for me, it never gets 'old!'

My first cruise was in 1966 and I'll never forget the sight of Australis docked in Southampton, nor will I ever forget the smells, the sounds, the pounding wake, the joy of waking up to a new port.

After more than 45 cruises I get just as excited, whether its a new ship or returning to one we've cruised on before.

It's a magical feeling, and one I hope I never stop having.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I've been on one cruise and I'd be happy to never go on another. Yes it got old fast.

I love the sea, I love boating, but cruising is none of that. To cruise, is to be cargo.

Not to be mean, but if you hate it that much why are you on this website:confused:?

That moment when you first see the ship you'll be cruising on ... is it still just as thrilling as the very first cruise?

I have a friend who texted me this morning from Fort Lauderdale to say she made it down there OK and can't wait to board the ship for her first cruise ... so it's been on my mind all day -- every exciting first view of the ship on each of my cruises. Sometimes, the taxi rounded a building and suddenly there was a great view of the aft ... sometimes I stood in my darkened hotel room looking across Biscayne Bay as the ship made it's way up the channel to the pier, sparkling like a jewel ... sometimes all I could see was just part of the superstructure above all the ground clutter as I made my way to the port. My DD and I call it the "THERE SHE IS!!!" moment -- and it's always such a thrill.

I hope it never gets commonplace. I want it to always be as big a thrill as it was the first time I spotted the Sovereign.

You Ohians are simple to please! ;) I always include a photo of the first time I see a ship in every review. Are you aware of the portevergladeswebcam.com so you can watch your friend sailaway?

I'll never forget boarding my first cruise. After hearing my parents talk about their love for cruising, DH, daughter and I finally booked one many years ago. I actually cried when we got on the ship.

I don't cry anymore but the anticipation keeps me going for months ahead of time and stays with me throughout the cruise. I only have to wait 52 days for my next one!!!

NO, it NEVER gets old!!!!

I get excite every time I board/see my ship, especially if it is going some place I like or some place I have not been. However, some times I seem to get cruised out, I think this has more to do with the types other cruisers on board.

After being home a week or two I'm ready to go again. We are doing a land tour this spring and I wish I could have booked a cruise with it.

Edited by north29

It never gets old indeed, driving to your ship and seeing it from a distance, getting excited, hearing your seapass ping, the horn before leaving. But in my opinion, nothing can beat the feeling of your first cruise, the shaking, the butterflies..... I need a cruise bad, it has been too long

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

I am only on page 2 and I am in TEARS...LOL. Happy ones. I have only been able to do around 6 and my excitement even boarding a plane is high..love travel. I love it mostly for the chats you have with people while viewing and experiencing so much. I guess the happy people here pull me up..through a long leaner travel spell....and the quality of child-like joy you have when your world and surroundings just are different and expand. The bottom line is people who love the world and sharing it are worth being around and cruising offers an extremely wonderful way to do that..with the privacy of retreat when needed. I also love how easily one can get a taste of so many places one may want a longer land vacation on...or just many cruises to.

So yes, I get very excited when I see the ship, hotel, motel, train, car coming for a drive trip with family...or even bus ride when I can't face the drive.

Edited by sjn911

Sorry in advance for the long winded response, but I have been asked this on several occasions... I have had a different experience than most, my husband has always worked for cruise line(s) and for 10 years I sailed 3-4 months onboard with him (usually 2-3 weeks on and 4 weeks home). I love to travel and I got to experience many of the less touristy things at the ports. But much of the time, I was like a solo traveler ( since he was in duty much of the day) and I met so many great people, both crew and guests... However, after so many cruises (I would guess maybe after #70) there came a time that I did get so sick of cruising... I got annoyed by every DING and the routine... And I started to dread same menu, routine, music, announcements etc... (Especially on the short cruises where it became so redundant).

Right about that time, hubby got a job in headquarters and for the most part, aside from a few weeks a year, on land... And I did not step foot on a ship for 4 years... To my surprise, In that 4 years I really started to miss the ship life and cruising. I longed for the escape and more than anything, I missed sitting on deck, watching the ocean, sunsets and finding a quiet outside corner to read and just unplug. I guess true, absence makes the heart grow fonder...

I have started cruising again @ 3 years ago. My husband almost fell in the floor when, one day, I said to him... Hey, on your next ship visit, can I cruise with you? Lol... So now, I go on about 3 cruises a year and remembered why I love them. I think I needed that break to miss and appreciate it. My husband and I take at least one cruise a year where he can be a real "passenger" and relax and have fun and he has learned how to enjoy a cruise now.

So yes, like too much of anything, it can get old, but once it is in your blood, it always will be I guess... And now I again enjoy cruising and planning. But my favorite thing is to get onboard, get a drink and sit where I can see the faces of the guests as they board the ship, the excitement, awe and fascination... Reminds me how special it really still is!

Hi Folks

The only time I have wanted to get off the ship , was on my last ill fated Christmas cruise on board Golden Princess...

I was just too sick to care , I just wanted to get home.....

And whilst we are booked to cruise again in November , sickness may decide otherwize...

So yes its possible to look back at the gangplank without any regret ...

Best Regards

John

I've been on one cruise and I'd be happy to never go on another. Yes it got old fast.

I love the sea, I love boating, but cruising is none of that. To cruise, is to be cargo.

Not real sure I get you here, if you hate to cruise soooo much why would you waste your time here making all the post you have??? call me crazy?

foolish and ignorant posts from this one before, ignore him.

Then get off this forum.

One of the more idiotic posts I've heard in awhile....:rolleyes:

Not to be mean, but if you hate it that much why are you on this website:confused:?

My reaction was not quite as strong as that of Sitzmark, but I never got the thrill from seeing the ship either. I know what you mean though as I recall family sailing on liners when I was a kid. It was very exciting and I remember all the coloured streamers being thrown from ship to shore that slowly broke as the ship pulled away from the dock. I was hoping that feeling would be there when going on a cruise too, but for me it wasn't there. I am glad it is for others.

What amazes me is venom with which is expressed to someone who posts an opinion that is counter to the response which is expected. The ratio of supporters, as expected, is very high. Why do you expect it to be absolute? Does someone not sharing your perceptions and opinions threaten you?

Nope. It never, ever gets old.

My first cruise, on the Sovereign, I was just blown away by how beautiful the ship was. I've had the same response on every new ship since. And when I've done a repeat (Royal Princess, Anthem OTS), I get the feeling I've come "home".

Counting the days (17) til the next "ping" of my set sail pass!

Never gets old for an old water rat.

Been boating since 13.

Was dive boat captain and divemaster.

Had many boats, sold last one and

started cruising 4 years ago.

Now my boat is 1,100 feet long and

I don't have to navigate or steer.

Maybe better each cruise.

:D

Landlubbers stay home.

That moment when you first see the ship you'll be cruising on ... is it still just as thrilling as the very first cruise?

I have a friend who texted me this morning from Fort Lauderdale to say she made it down there OK and can't wait to board the ship for her first cruise ... so it's been on my mind all day -- every exciting first view of the ship on each of my cruises. Sometimes, the taxi rounded a building and suddenly there was a great view of the aft ... sometimes I stood in my darkened hotel room looking across Biscayne Bay as the ship made it's way up the channel to the pier, sparkling like a jewel ... sometimes all I could see was just part of the superstructure above all the ground clutter as I made my way to the port. My DD and I call it the "THERE SHE IS!!!" moment -- and it's always such a thrill.

I hope it never gets commonplace. I want it to always be as big a thrill as it was the first time I spotted the Sovereign.

always a thrill. We have been on Majesty alone 30 times and we never say oh blah when we see her. We are going on a cruise and that is all I care about. Now saying that, very happy we are getting Enchantment as I really love that ship!:p

Our first cruise was definitely the most memorable and special, and it started what my wife now describes as my "cruise addiction". I am always excited to catch that first glimpse of our ship, be it from the plane as we fly in, or the taxi as we approach the port. As others have described, there is nothing quite like the rush of seeing the ship, walking up the gangway, having your picture taken and hearing the card reader "bonk", and entering the ship eager to begin exploring as soon as possible!

You meet such nice people on a cruise, including "Emerald City" and her DD who were at our table in the MDR on our very first cruise (Serenade, April 2010). The countdown to our next cruise is almost in the double digits, and my anticipation is already building!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our first cruise was definitely the most memorable and special, and it started what my wife now describes as my "cruise addiction". I am always excited to catch that first glimpse of our ship, be it from the plane as we fly in, or the taxi as we approach the port. As others have described, there is nothing quite like the rush of seeing the ship, walking up the gangway, having your picture taken and hearing the card reader "bonk", and entering the ship eager to begin exploring as soon as possible!

You meet such nice people on a cruise, including "Emerald City" and her DD who were at our table in the MDR on our very first cruise (Serenade, April 2010). The countdown to our next cruise is almost in the double digits, and my anticipation is already building!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh my goodness! How ARE your two?! One of our best table groups EVER!

DD is in her fourth year at Toledo U., so I'm off on my first solo cruise in 10 weeks ... not that I'm counting or anything.

Sovereign of the Seas was our 1st cruise and we have done nearly 2 dozen since. This guy is 54 and I still love it when I get my first glimpse of the ship we are about to embark on.

This thread got my excited as we are now only 25 days from our next cruise. Excited to see the DW react to the surprises I planned.

Our first cruise was Explorer and I still remember coming over the Miami access route. I had never seen such a vessel! My eyes bugged out of my head!

Will not forget that first sailing; the first of 35 more.

We have branched out and sail other lines but for us, Explorer was such an event we booked 3-4 cruises per year since when we can. Some years less.

The funny thing is when we booked, it was Wednesday before a Sunday sailing. We had no clue what we were doing and everything was a new adventure. We had never sailed before and knew nothing about CC.