RCI Anthem-in major storm, listing and worse

SuiteCruiser

by 11:20 the winds had calmed down to 75 knots down from 150. Lots of damage, apparently one of the radar balls fell into the pool, the galley's are a disaster and the passengers have been confined to their cabins for the last 5 hours and remain so. No life jackets in the cabins (apparently they keep them at the muster station on RCI) that would bother me tremendously.

Definitely all is improving.

That is insane! I am one of those who enjoy a bit of waves, but not this! Mother Nature is a crazy creature but I can't fathom how this snuck up on them this violently.. Cruise ships actually travel so slow, there was no beating the storm in such a case. I would also imagine with this being their premier ship their captain would be the best.

I have to agree with you, I am more then happy to have life jackets under the bed as well as in muster stations. We have a boat and it is amazing what you need on hand and available at all times even if we are 2 minutes off the dock in the bay. As in directly beside you by coast guard law.

The link doesn't work when clicking on it. It must be very scary for crew and passengers though. Last year on breakaway we hit very rough seas and I was scared for my life. Keeping them in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

No life jackets in the cabins (apparently they keep them at the muster station on RCI) that would bother me tremendously.

Definitely all is improving.

When on the Escape in January we were also told that there are no life jackets in the cabins and they are all kept at the muster stations. In all my cruises, that's the first time I heard NCL state this.

Harriet

When on the Escape in January we were also told that there are no life jackets in the cabins and they are all kept at the muster stations. In all my cruises, that's the first time I heard NCL state this.

Harriet

Makes sense.....sort of. I guess they want to make sure no one returns to their cabin to get their life jackets if the ship does need to be abandoned. Personally I would feel a lot better if they were in the cabin, especially if something happens during the middle of the night. It was also my understanding each life boat had life jackets also, enough for every passenger the boat would fit

Edited by Laszlo

Between this, and the Gem having 2.5 days of rough weather on the 1/22 cruise....I'm wondering if I should just forget about the BA for 2/28!

I know, having sailed through tropical storm Joaquin in October, that it can be scary but I wouldn't give up just yet. The long term weather forecast, while I wouldn't place any bets on it's accuracy, doesn't look too bad. I'd certainly keep an eye on it though.

Good luck, hope you can make your cruise.

Trying this for Brikee, sometimes the links work better when copied.

Worked for me.

Makes sense.....sort of. I guess they want to make sure no one returns to their cabin to get their life jackets if the ship does need to be abandoned. Personally I would feel a lot better if they were in the cabin, especially if something happens during the middle of the night

I agree. They actually should be kept both places.....in the cabin and at the muster station.....imho, of course.

Harriet

Posted this in the RCCL forum in detail, short version here:

Following the Corncordia and other incidents, reviews found that having the jackets in cabins caused several issues with an orderly evac, including forcing travel in 2 directions on stairs, increasing distance of travel, and people with jackets going direct to lifeboats and attempting to board nearest as opposed to going to correct station...

I agree. They actually should be kept both places.....in the cabin and at the muster station.....imho, of course.

Harriet

Posted this in the RCCL forum in detail, short version here:

Following the Corncordia and other incidents, reviews found that having the jackets in cabins caused several issues with an orderly evac, including forcing travel in 2 directions on stairs, increasing distance of travel, and people with jackets going direct to lifeboats and attempting to board nearest as opposed to going to correct station...

Interesting.......thank you.

Harriet

Harriet

There were some in mine. I was on my own and there were 2 in the closet. I still think it's a bad move too. If you're not in your cabin, go to muster, if you're locked in your cabin for 20 hours through a crazy storm like that, I want a lifejacket.

The fact is the lifeboats become useless if a ship rolls, I still want to feel I have a bit of a chance in the ocean.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Your friend Shaun07 really needs to stop complaining about the Captain and instead be grateful for his expertise in steering the ship.

Our own, means a poster on NCL, and we'll see if there's fault once it's all reviewed. At this point in the Concordia disaster most of CC was praising the Captain for saving their lives too. I'm holding off judgement until all the facts are in. I do, however, believe he did the best he could once they were in the storm.

Edited by SuiteCruiser