RCI Anthem-in major storm, listing and worse

SuiteCruiser

Trying this for Brikee, sometimes the links work better when copied.

Yes this worked. Thank you!!

Ever since my past February cruise I vowed not to travel during this month. I hope everyone on the ship makes it home safely.

Between this, and the Gem having 2.5 days of rough weather on the 1/22 cruise....I'm wondering if I should just forget about the BA for 2/28!

I read some of the posts of people currently on the ship.

It appears that the Captain decided to outrun the storm instead of going around it.

IMHO, he underestimated the strength of the storm.

I was on the January 22nd GEM cruise.

Our captain warned the crew and all of us that we would be heading into rough seas before we even left port.

The glassware in our cabin suite were removed.

The captain said he was changing our normal course and staying closer to the shore line.

I have always felt that NCL captains are the best out there and although they make some poor administrative decisions concerning unruly, abusive passengers onboard, they do make the correct decisions when it comes to safety.

I am booked and plan to sail on my next NCL cruise in January 2017 on the Breakaway. :)

Don

I read some of the posts of people currently on the ship.

It appears that the Captain decided to outrun the storm instead of going around it.

IMHO, he underestimated the strength of the storm.

I was on the January 22nd GEM cruise.

Our captain warned the crew and all of us that we would be heading into rough seas before we even left port.

The glassware in our cabin suite were removed.

The captain said he was changing our normal course and staying closer to the shore line.

I have always felt that NCL captains are the best out there and although they make some poor administrative decisions concerning unruly, abusive passengers onboard, they do make the correct decisions when it comes to safety.

I am booked and plan to sail on my next NCL cruise in January 2017 on the Breakaway. :)

Don

That's an interesting comparison and a wise move to remove the glassware from the cabins.

They've turned around and headed back to Bayonne. Another storm was brewing south of them, and they likely need to do some repairs. They're getting a full refund and 50% towards a future cruise.

Smart move! And fair compensation (though I feel some PAX may not want to take another cruise.;))

Your friend Shaun07 really needs to stop complaining about the Captain and instead be grateful for his expertise in steering the ship.

In case no one filled you in the name of this forum is Cruise CRITIC and he has every right to make his feelings known, just like you are doing in saying that he is complaining.

Edited by iimmie

They've turned around and headed back to Bayonne. Another storm was brewing south of them, and they likely need to do some repairs. They're getting a full refund and 50% towards a future cruise.

Did they go into Canaverel ? Haven't caught up on the RCI thread again, but last I read they were heading there. I feel for the passengers who maybe wanted off.

Did they go into Canaverel ? Haven't caught up on the RCI thread again, but last I read they were heading there. I feel for the passengers who maybe wanted off.

They never reached PC - it was decided that returning home to Bayonne was the safest way to go.

I'm getting seasick just reading about what happened.

We had a really bad day on the Breakaway on January 16th heading back to NYC. My stomach is still having flashbacks lol

That part of the Atlantic is not fun to go through, I honestly don't know if I'd ever do another cruise through that area again.

Going back home is a smart move. I'm sure everyone on the ship would rather be on land instead of very choppy seas. The compensation is appropriate and I would probably use it towards another cruise but not in February!

I don't think they should have tried to outrun the storm. I'm not sure of their itinerary but on our last feb cruise the captain maneuvered around the storm (ride was still choppy but not like the anthem) and we wound up skipping the next port (San Juan which wasn't a big deal).

Your friend Shaun07 really needs to stop complaining about the Captain and instead be grateful for his expertise in steering the ship.

Disagree with you. Captain made decision to Outrun it.

I would be "complaining" too, and grateful he didn't kill us? What?

Why Outrun anything & put passengers in danger and least of all, a scary, miserable time of it. Go around it. Stay put. There are Alternatives.

Do NOT risk passengers & crew because of Timeline....or Bottom line.

Why Outrun anything & put passengers in danger and least of all, a scary, miserable time of it. Go around it. Stay put. There are Alternatives.

Everyone makes mistakes but I would think that most captains would not worry too much about bottom lines when it comes to safety of the passengers and crew.

Nonsense.

They kept head to sea as best they could. Someone posted a shot of the TV, showed speed 7.5knots, cross deck winds 153 knots.