Is there anyone here who still....enjoys elegance?

Cruizen Susan

Two yes votes here. We have enjoyed Celebrity over the years because it appeared, in general, to appeal to a more upscale crowd. In our opinion, flip flops (no matter how many jewels on them), tee shirts, levis, polo shirts, etc do not belong in the dining room at dinner aboard Celebrity, whether it be Luminae, Blu, MDR, or specialty restaurant. That type of clothing belongs at the buffet. I blame Celebrity for not enforcing their own rules!

Susan,

Thank you for starting this thread, and yes I totally agree that cruising is a special experience, and definitely on a beautiful and elegant ship, why not strive to look and feel your very best!

It always amazes me that if people can afford to cruise, with all the planning and expense involved, airfare, tours etc. etc...what is the excuse for some people to look like they just either rolled out of bed, or wearing clothing suitable for cleaning out your garage!

It does not take a fortune to be well groomed and properly attired for either a stroll on the ship or dinner in an elegant dining room, it will make the experience all that more special!

Grooming and proper dress would be wonderful to see in our fellow cruisers, and most people do comply, of course, elegance is an added bonus, and I applaud you for bringing this up!

Best Regards

Marisa

We enjoy getting dressed up, but the enjoyment our cruises is not dependent on it. Celebrity (and all lines for that matter) are going to go with what appeals to their target demographic. They need new, younger cruisers if they wish to stay in business. Those who prefer a more casual experience are not wrong for wanting it so, just as those who like a more formal atmosphere are not wrong, its just that the former group seems to be getting larger.

I do not long for "the good old days". I find that type of thinking ages a person.

Two yes votes here. We have enjoyed Celebrity over the years because it appeared, in general, to appeal to a more upscale crowd. In our opinion, flip flops (no matter how many jewels on them), tee shirts, levis, polo shirts, etc do not belong in the dining room at dinner aboard Celebrity, whether it be Luminae, Blu, MDR, or specialty restaurant. That type of clothing belongs at the buffet. I blame Celebrity for not enforcing their own rules!

Absolutely right on!

This is one of the reasons for cruising on Celebrity, and definitely Celebrity should emphasize compliance with their dress code!

I love living the 5-star life! Yes, I enjoy cocktail attire on formal/elegant chic nights. I also dress nicely for dinner every night.

Yes, I wear business attire 5 or more days a week, church attire on Sundays and casual whenever I can between those times. I work 50+ hours a week and subsequently enjoy the fruits of these labors.

Enjoy living life YOUR way, be it casual, upscale, or other!

I love that analogy...living a 5 star life...at least on vacation. DH and I do enjoy "preparing for dinner". Champagne, lite bites, and beating my mug all go well together. We recently sailed without formal wear just to see how we felt on Evening Chic nights without suit, tie, and gown. We never felt underdressed...DH in a dinner jacket and button down shirt and myself in a floor length sun dress...still gave me a feeling of being " dressed" for dinner. We will probably bring a bit more formal wear to ou next cruise to Alaska...after all, its cooler, and after wearing jeans and rain coats all day, I will want to dress up a bit more. Now, with the clothing preferences out of the way...I adore the fanciness of dining on Celebrity. I may be a regular girl at home, but I love pomp and circumstance when I dine.

Be kind as Ellen would say

I love to play dress up. Wore a tux on every cruise, from my first when in my late 20's til now in my early 50's. I am leaving on Reflection this Saturday and have my tux ready to pack. And, God forbid, I will even wear it in a Specialty Restaurant on Valentine's night!! :eek: And my girlfriend loves it too!!

We both enjoy dressing for dinner. My DH brings his tux and I have a number of gowns to choose from. Even on smart casual night I wear a dress or skirt and dressy blouse.

No tux or gowns on our next cruise for personal reasons. Doesn't mean we won't be dressing up thought & my DH will have a sports coat and yes, dare I say it, a tie.

Actually they do mind us "dressing up" We are made fun of and judged. And called names. Also' date=' re-read my original post. There is no demanding anyone do anything. Each to his own. Live and let live!![/quote']

I don't know who "they" are, but if "they" are not your friends, do you really care? And have people on the ship come up to you and called you names because of the way you dress?

I still enjoy elegance, but I don't tie elegance to a piece of clothing.

On out honeymoon cruise, I went with white tie and tails on formal nights, black tie/tux on informal and blazer with button down shirt and tie on casual. This was aboard QE2, and I'm planning on doing the same on Queen Victoria, this fall. I do not understand what men have against formal wear, white tie and tails nave been around for 200 years for a reason, and that is than ANY man can look good wearing them, no matter what shape they are.

I've always enjoyed dressing up, even as a teenager (I'm 38 now) I dress up in a coat and tie for formal night, every time. I used to get upset that not many care for that style of dress anymore, but now I acknowledge that times are changing. I dress how I want to dress. It is my cruise after all, and the other people are simply backdrops in my scenery. It will not change how I do formal nights. I won't treat them any differently, as long as they don't. It's best if you base your happiness from within, because if it depends on your surroundings, then I sure hope your seas are smooth for your sake.. (collective your, not address to OP or any single person).

Edited by runawaysoul

I don't know who "they" are, but if "they" are not your friends, do you really care? And have people on the ship come up to you and called you names because of the way you dress?

I still enjoy elegance, but I don't tie elegance to a piece of clothing.

I have said over and over than I don't care what they think. I will wear what I want to wear, even if I am the only one not in flip-flops (exaggeration). No one has ever called me names on any cruise. It's only the crowd on CC pushing their casual agenda. You must not be reading the boards lately. Yes, we are called names and poked fun at.

Peace. and Happy Cruising!

Susan

I'm confused. Has someone told you you can't dress elegantly?

Many of us have been confused lately. We are told to "get with it" and poked fun at, that we like to "play dress up." Not by Celebrity, but by a small minority of those pushing the casual trend.

Many of us have been confused lately. We are told to "get with it" and poked fun at' date=' that we like to "play dress up." Not by Celebrity, but by a small minority of those pushing the casual trend.[/quote']

Try wearing what you want and letting others wear what they want - I'm guessin no one will poke fun at you for that. When you continually try to convince everyone that the majority wants formal nights when Celebrity has determined it unequivocally does not, you will be the object of all manner of ridicule and scorn.

I enjoy elegance under the right circumstances. After reading more about what is or once was considered formal attire on cruises, I realized that I broke the rules on my first two cruises. I didn't "dress down", but was likely under dressed, per the rules, because I was wearing cocktail dresses instead of gowns. My relief at the official change to "evening chic" is the fact that I don't feel that floor-length gowns travel by air very well and also take up a lot of space. For someone not willing to pay an extra baggage fee simply to bring an evening dress, I'm glad of the change. I do wear evening dresses at home when the occasion calls for it. I believe that as long as you come to the MDR or your assigned restaurant looking clean, well-pressed, and in something that you consider "dressy" then you are doing a-ok. Any woman who wants to wear a full-length gown should. Likewise, I'll stick to evening pants and a dressy top going forward. I would definitely frown on someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt to the dining room, but as I didn't see that, I smiled every night.

Usually I get nice comments. A few times I got the "Suit, wow, really?" Yes, really. It's not just that, it's also the "my" time dining choices across all cruise ships. It's more indicative of nature of the majority choosing to do what they want to do them, not others. The fact that this topic is so controversial proves my point, for both sides. The fact is, their policy does not favor either side, so there shouldn't be any controversy. It's not our ship.

I'm confused. Has someone told you you can't dress elegantly?
I was thinking the same thing. On my January cruise, there were a few in truly formal wear and they looked fantastic and then there were those more casually dressed and they also look fantastic.

BTW, I don't believe anyone onboard the ship told anyone to "get with it" or poked fun at those who dressed formally; what someone was wearing was pretty much a non-issue on the cruise. If it is those on this site that have said to "get with it" or poked fun, just remember a lot of what is said on here is never said on the ships. So, dress how you would like and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My family and I love dressing up for Formal Nights. I am 21, my sister is 18 and my parents are in their late 40's early 50's. We have noticed that the dress code depends on where you are sailing, and we were actually disappointed on the last Celebrity cruise (Caribbean 2013) that not many people dressed up on formal night.

We don't go over the top but my Dad always wears his Dinner Jacket and my Mum, sister and I wear dresses.

Although long dresses are often out the question, (i feel out of place as no-one wears them anymore!) we always try and co-ordinate!

I wouldn't call this super formal but i still feel overdressed compared to some people!!!!

549005_10200529844383587_1864055200_n.jpg?oh=ce2cdf6bd786469014555e58f746ba4b&oe=573277A5

Edited by Guest

I was thinking the same thing. On my January cruise, there were a few in truly formal wear and they looked fantastic and then there were those more casually dressed and they also look fantastic.

(We were hoping to meet you on Eclipse! Maybe another time)

and vice versa. On these threads all the time, folks who choose not to dress up are treated as peasants, unsophisticated, slobs...told we "ruin" the dress up folks' dinner experience, or even their entire cruise! So goes both ways.

<3 Tura Lura's comment

Also, each side thinks the other is the 'most vocal.'

To me 'elegant' does not equal 'formal.'

Edited by Marelaine