Changes to Crown & Anchor

That only works if people refuse to buy drinks outside of the free drinks in the evening. I get my 1-2 free drinks at night, but it doesn't stop me from getting 1-2 during the day if I feel like having one, and paying for it. Once people buy a drink or two during the day, it cuts into that gain. Not to mention RCL then loses on EVERY drink package to someone with the dicsount that would buy them anyway (likely the vast majority), no matter how much they drink. I'm betting the few additional discounted packages, purchased by those that refuse to drink during the day, won't come close to the stuff they've lost. Certainly cost-wise. On gaining value in non-monetary means (good-will or urging people to cruise with them, or more, then otherwise would, I'm guessing it doesn't change that much)

I have to disagree with what I have highlighted in red above. Offering a discounted DP would still be in the plus column for Royal because it probably take 6 or so drinks per day, to break even on the discounted price. So if that hypothetical cruiser only buys 1-2 drinks per day (using YOU as an example, outside of the DL hours) Royal has already taken in by the sale of the DP a specific amount of revenue vs MAYBE two additional drinks purchased.

In additional, it may lead to less people bringing on board bottles of wine, since you can bring two bottles of wine per cabin....that would potentially lead to more purchases, rather than less.

DH and I just don't drink enough for a DP to make sense. We bring generally two bottles of wine with us, to enjoy in our cabin on our balcony. Next week we sail on Empress and probably won't bring any wine, since the room doesn't even have a cooler in it, and we are in a JS. There is no dedicated DL on this ship, but we will utilize our drink vouchers at bars I am sure. This to us, MIGHT BE THE ONLY situation that it MIGHT make sense at a reasonably discounted price for us to buy it....because we have no intention of bringing wine on board. Or maybe still NOT, and we will buy drinks if we so choose to.

Edited by Paulette3028

Buy what advantage does a P have that they would receive as a result of booking a Suite. Not sure your logic makes sense but I'm willing to listen.

They do it because they can. I have met many Pinnacles and many of them book suites because they can afford it and they like the extra room for entertaining. Why pay extra for an owners suite? Basically it is just a bigger grand suite. Yet people do book owners suites.

If you are really that interested in why they do, then ask them. But I know that they do book suites. They are not booking the suites for the perks once they made Pinnacle.

They do it because they can. I have met many Pinnacles and many of them book suites because they can afford it and they like the extra room for entertaining. Why pay extra for an owners suite? Basically it is just a bigger grand suite. Yet people do book owners suites.

If you are really that interested in why they do, then ask them. But I know that they do book suites. They are not booking the suites for the perks once they made Pinnacle.

It has a bidet. :D

Oh, and a dining table.

I have to disagree with what I have highlighted in red above. Offering a discounted DP would still be in the plus column for Royal because it probably take 6 or so drinks per day, to break even on the discounted price. So if that hypothetical cruiser only buys 1-2 drinks per day (using YOU as an example, outside of the DL hours) Royal has already taken in by the sale of the DP a specific amount of revenue vs MAYBE two additional drinks purchased.

In additional, it may lead to less people bringing on board bottles of wine, since you can bring two bottles of wine per cabin....that would potentially lead to more purchases, rather than less.

DH and I just don't drink enough for a DP to make sense. We bring generally two bottles of wine with us, to enjoy in our cabin on our balcony. Next week we sail on Empress and probably won't bring any wine, since the room doesn't even have a cooler in it, and we are in a JS. There is no dedicated DL on this ship, but we will utilize our drink vouchers at bars I am sure. This to us, MIGHT BE THE ONLY situation that it MIGHT make sense at a reasonably discounted price for us to buy it....because we have no intention of bringing wine on board. Or maybe still NOT, and we will buy drinks if we so choose to.

The portion you highlighted and disagreed with is where I stated they lose money on discounted drink packages for people who buy them already. (Sorry, not sure I wrote that sentence clearly enough the first time in the one you were commenting back to). If someone is already buying the drink package, then RCL loses money by discounting it to those people. They don't know ahead of time who would buy it, so it's discounted for all. Anyone who would normally buy the package is getting it cheaper, meaning less money for RCL.

Why can't we enjoy the cruise ships... it sure is a lot less money than private charters and renting a private boat.... give me a break... you logic is unreal... we are not all multi millionaires...

Absolutely agree with this. The best of all is either the Yacht Club on MSC with its "ship within a ship" concept. On MSC we only left the YC area to go to the main shows. All drinks and the minibar are included as long as they are in the YC. The YC lounge is reminiscent of the old Crown and Anchor Lounge. Beautiful lounge with a great view, but with free booze and a food selection that changes several times throughout the day. There is a private pool and hot tubs and sun deck with a bar and buffet available at breakfast and lunch. There is also a dedicated YC restaurant with food as good as the specialty restaurants on other ships. Bellinis and Mimosas for breakfast, Proseco before lunch and dinner, followed by cocktails of choice and free flowing wine at lunch and dinner. The only extra charges we had were for shore excursions and of course lots of extra tips for our butler, team of waiters, concierge and Maitre D.

We recently finished doing six Vision cruises, all doing 9 or 10 nights, and each had between 300 to 500 Ds or higher. The highest was 267 Ds, 165 D+s, and 42 Pinnacles. That's 19% of the passenger capacity.

The Harmony already has over 110 Pinnacles booked for the TA in October.

That is amazing. Maybe we will be able to work out how many Pinnicles there are in total! :D

Edited by AussieVisi2r

• 4 weeks later...
And so it has, they are offering sliding scale percentage discounts on the new Delux Drink Package to anyone Diamond or above on this sailing of The Jewel 20% to D, 30% to D+ and 40% to P members. :D

First I've read of those C&A based discounts being offered again. Hopefully it goes fleetwide.

And so it has, they are offering sliding scale percentage discounts on the new Delux Drink Package to anyone Diamond or above on this sailing of The Jewel 20% to D, 30% to D+ and 40% to P members. :D

Which sailing?

And isn't 20% given to anybody lately?

thanks

Edited by John&LaLa

This sailing being the one from Rome starting 12 Sept, I think the 20% you refer to is for drink packages purchased in advance, these discounts are available on board, against the regular prices.

Which sailing?

And isn't 20% given to anybody lately?

thanks

This sailing being the one from Rome starting 12 Sept, I think the 20% you refer to is for drink packages purchased in advance, these discounts are available on board, against the regular prices.

Is the UBP $67 before discounting? That was the Freedom price last month

Accepted.... your apology. Thank you.....

I see the CC Police are coming.... waiting on the dead horse...

This one is kind of being revived, not dead yet. The C&A beverage discount could be a winner depending on the amount and the availability. Might even reduce bodies in the CL/SL ;)

This one is kind of being revived, not dead yet. The C&A beverage discount could be a winner depending on the amount and the availability. Might even reduce bodies in the CL/SL ;)

I agree.... a higher discount by status level... works for me.... would save us a bunch on money...

Sounds like these things are only offered onboard? Is that correct? Which ships? Has it been confirmed?

I agree too that it might reduce crowding, where it exists, in the DL

Edited by troykahack

This is actually a really good idea. There are a lot of us at Diamond or above loyalty status and many of us just get the free drinks during the cocktail hours. They make nothing for that and it's a lot of work keeping up with the crowds. If the drink packages were discounted enough I think a lot of regular cruisers would buy them and, at least, they'd get that revenue.

Of course, my logic is flawed because it means those cruisers may drink more, but, perhaps, instead of 6 or 7 glasses of wine in the Diamond Club between 5p and 6p they'd do them throughout the day elsewhere :o)

Tom

First I've read of those C&A based discounts being offered again. Hopefully it goes fleetwide.

And, then, there are people like us, who are diamond plus and always pick at least a balcony because I am clautrophobic. For our cruise in January, we were able to book an OS for a little more than what a JS is going for right now. So, we did not do it to impress any of you. We did it because it was A GREAT DEAL!!! I would be happy with a balcony cabin but will take a cheap suite any day of the week. Please don't generalize your descriptions of "suite snobs" or whatever you want to call us. We just got lucky and will enjoy every minute...and not mind going back to a balcony for a future cruise if the price doesn't work for us like this again.

And, then, there are people like us, who are diamond plus and always pick at least a balcony because I am clautrophobic. For our cruise in January, we were able to book an OS for a little more than what a JS is going for right now. So, we did not do it to impress any of you. We did it because it was A GREAT DEAL!!! I would be happy with a balcony cabin but will take a cheap suite any day of the week. Please don't generalize your descriptions of "suite snobs" or whatever you want to call us. We just got lucky and will enjoy every minute...and not mind going back to a balcony for a future cruise if the price doesn't work for us like this again.

Bravo.. we too insist on a balcony, for other reasons.... and enjoy suites too...

Edited by troykahack