Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Ok some funny things we have seen and heard over the last few days to lighten the mood.

The day after the storm with glass and broken furniture everywhere on the pool deck, there were 2 women putting their towels and books out on sunloungers to reserve their places for later.

2 old ladies chatting in the bar asking the barman why the captain didn't lower the lifeboats during the storm as that would have been safer.

A woman complaining to the man in the towel station about the pool being closed despite the fact that there was glass everywhere.

2 different old ladies agreeing with each other that if we hadn't have turned back we would have sunk for sure.

2 older guys complaining to a crew member about something (didn't hear what) and telling him that they were Americans and deserved better. They had the strongest east European accents I've ever heard.

So there, despite everything we went through some people went back to normal very quickly.

Finally something fun to read on this thread.:)

Ok some funny things we have seen and heard over the last few days to lighten the mood.

The day after the storm with glass and broken furniture everywhere on the pool deck, there were 2 women putting their towels and books out on sunloungers to reserve their places for later.

2 old ladies chatting in the bar asking the barman why the captain didn't lower the lifeboats during the storm as that would have been safer.

A woman complaining to the man in the towel station about the pool being closed despite the fact that there was glass everywhere.

2 different old ladies agreeing with each other that if we hadn't have turned back we would have sunk for sure.

2 older guys complaining to a crew member about something (didn't hear what) and telling him that they were Americans and deserved better. They had the strongest east European accents I've ever heard.

So there, despite everything we went through some people went back to normal very quickly.

Hi Miopyc,

So while you were busy weathering the storm, making alternate travel arrangement, catching up on sleep and trying to eek out a decent time while stuck on the ship, here are some funny things I have seen/read here on CC about your situation... To lighten up the mood

I Read that Captain should be fired, ship almost sank, gross negligence

I saw several posters saying RCCL farts rainbows and is the most amazing cruise line and not to be held liable for weather and did everything possible

I found out that you CAN in fact get hotels for $100 in NYC

I discovered The Staten island ferry is free but cold in winter

That Visiting the Met is donation only but if you go and don't give $25 your a cheapskate loser

That driving a VW makes you poor however, it has a warranty, but is not as prestigious of car as Mercedes

Discussions about how CC has gon to pot and everyone is either negative nellies, or overly positive cheerleaders.

For heavens sake, Never share a drink with the drink package (or at least DO NOT post you dis) as you will be labeled a low life thief

I seems that Everyone on CC it seems has been caught in hurricane weather on a cruise ship

I learned to Buy travel insurance.. Although CC experts have said that it might end at port and you are not covered

I now know If you cannot afford 4 days post cruise vacation you are a cheapskate and that some people actually save for vacations

And finally, I have discovered how deeply interested people are in meteorology! :D:D;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope you are back on land soon and happy you are safe and still have your sense of humor!

It's weather. Blame your God(s) and stop whining to everyone that someone else needs to keep you 100% safe at all times.

Who cares more about your life other than you? No one. Take responsibility for yourself. Perhaps don't put yourself in danger... ever. Perhaps a plastic bubble.

You can analyze a weather forecast as well as anyone else. Why did you get on the ship? Perhaps it is your fault.

Since every Monday morning quarterback meteorologist seems to have claimed to predict this major event, it now seems foolish on your part as to why you got on the ship in the first place.

Seems odd that nobody, not even you, were aware of the storm of the century. Why?

Fact is, NOBODY predicted that it would get as bad as it did.

Of course, the forecasters all hedge their forecast bets by saying "it might" or "it could" so they can all claim accuracy after the fact. They are all hacks.

Fact is, you did not make a poor decision by getting on the ship. Neither did the captain by sailing. The storm blossomed more than expected. The storm moves way faster than the ship. It's Nobody's fault. Its weather. It is unpredictable.

As I sit here on my sunlounger in the solarium with the sun now peeking through the clouds every now and again and the distant sounds of the waves gently crashing against the bow of the ship I can almost feel that I'm sat on the beach on Coco Cay where we should have been today.

The only thing that brings me back to reality is the woman walking past telling her husband in a loud disappointed New Jersey accent that her fries were cold.

I think I'm going to write a book on my general observations of people on cruise ships, a constant source of genuine amusement.

One thing you have to remember is that this is nothing new. Almost every year on cc during hurricane season these threads crop up. There are many many seasoned cruisers on cc and many of us have been through storms like this, more than once. I just looked up our paper work from our rhapsody cruise back in 99 where the captain started telling us a day and a half before the storm that we would be sailing right smack into it, could not be avoided. Much smaller ship and we had 35' waves and lots of cosmetic damage. No one complained that I remember and no one got OBC or the cruise fare back or future cruise.

A day later most all was cleaned up and you could not even tell she went through a storm. She got back Vancouver, loaded new passengers, and proceeded on a 14 day to Hawaii

It will happen again, in fact, try next hurricane season

Another thing, cruising past cape Hatteras in winter can be a gamble, my parents were world travelers for many many years and the only place they would not take a cruise was one going by the graveyard. They tried it twice.

Will rci lose some cruisers over this, you bet ya, but no affect on the cruise line what so ever

Some leave because of meatloaf or concrete beds

Not often I find myself on the same side of an argument as you but this time I agree 100%.

I also agree with loubetti. Some people have NO business going on a cruise.

For every one Royal loses over this the will likely gain two to replace them.

What's up? The tide is. Kind of like Tampa and the Sunshine bridge. The ships can't just slide in unless the tide's down.
FYI low tide at the Narrows is 3:27 PM http://ny.usharbors.com/monthly-tides/New%20York-NYC%20Approaches/Fort%20Hamilton%2C%20The%20Narrowshttp://ny.usharbors.com/monthly-tides/New%20York-NYC%20Approaches/Fort%20Hamilton%2C%20The%20Narrows Please don't make things up.

I think a lot of people will stay onboard. The majority won't be able to carry their own luggage off the ship and 9pm-11pm is late to be hitting the road unless you live close by. So maybe its some smart Pr moves by Rcci. "see it can't have been that bad most people stayed on"

I never thought I would be this happy to see Jersey.

Thanks for the laughs!!! Some things will never change, glad the chair hoggers didn't disappoint. Glad you are able to see the humor in little things. 😀

It's weather. Blame your God(s) and stop whining to everyone that someone else needs to keep you 100% safe at all times.

Who cares more about your life other than you? No one. Take responsibility for yourself. Perhaps don't put yourself in danger... ever. Perhaps a plastic bubble.

You can analyze a weather forecast as well as anyone else. Why did you get on the ship? Perhaps it is your fault.

Since every Monday morning quarterback meteorologist seems to have claimed to predict this major event, it now seems foolish on your part as to why you got on the ship in the first place.

Seems odd that nobody, not even you, were aware of the storm of the century. Why?

Of course, the forecasters all hedge their forecast bets by saying "it might" or "it could" so they can all claim accuracy after the fact. They are all hacks.

Fact is, you did not make a poor decision by getting on the ship. Neither did the captain by sailing. The storm blossomed more than expected. The storm moves way faster than the ship. It's Nobody's fault. Its weather. It is unpredictable.

Like x 10,000.

Hi Miopyc,

So while you were busy weathering the storm, making alternate travel arrangement, catching up on sleep and trying to eek out a decent time while stuck on the ship, here are some funny things I have seen/read here on CC about your situation... To lighten up the mood

I saw several posters saying RCCL farts rainbows and is the most amazing cruise line and not to be held liable for weather and did everything possible

That Visiting the Met is donation only but if you go and don't give $25 your a cheapskate loser

That driving a VW makes you poor however, it has a warranty, but is not as prestigious of car as Mercedes

Discussions about how CC has gon to pot and everyone is either negative nellies, or overly positive cheerleaders.

For heavens sake, Never share a drink with the drink package (or at least DO NOT post you dis) as you will be labeled a low life thief

I seems that Everyone on CC it seems has been caught in hurricane weather on a cruise ship

I learned to Buy travel insurance.. Although CC experts have said that it might end at port and you are not covered

I now know If you cannot afford 4 days post cruise vacation you are a cheapskate and that some people actually save for vacations

And finally, I have discovered how deeply interested people are in meteorology! :D:D;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope you are back on land soon and happy you are safe and still have your sense of humor!

And you learned that despite it all life goes on and one way or the other sh!t happens. 😉

Cheers

it's weather. Blame your god(s) and stop whining to everyone that someone else needs to keep you 100% safe at all times.

Who cares more about your life other than you? No one. Take responsibility for yourself. Perhaps don't put yourself in danger... Ever. Perhaps a plastic bubble.

Since every monday morning quarterback meteorologist seems to have claimed to predict this major event, it now seems foolish on your part as to why you got on the ship in the first place.

Fact is, nobody predicted that it would get as bad as it did.

Fact is, you did not make a poor decision by getting on the ship. Neither did the captain by sailing. The storm blossomed more than expected. The storm moves way faster than the ship. It's nobody's fault. Its weather. It is unpredictable.

ImageUploadedByForums1455132051.003502.jpg.180741708f05cdfb36bba520064d7796.jpg

That is your opinion and I certainly respect that. I disagree with you and that is my opinion. The storm was predicted. It was upgraded to hurricane force. The captain and or the powers that be at RCCL either chose to out run it and got caught or chose to sail right into it. Passengers lives were put at risk. I just feel somebody needs to be held accountable for that. That's my opinion and that's what I keep getting blasted for.

Just as things were starting to take a turn for the better on this thread...:rolleyes:

If you want to express to RCI how frightened you were and let them know you will no longer be sailing again, I fully respect your right to do so. And I understand it must have been a frightening time, and fully understand if it is enough to keep you from cruising in the future.

I don't, however, respect anyone who demands that a person be fired for doing their job--when that person is a laymen and has no real understanding of how the job was done or if it was done well or not (and, honestly, from here, in my nice, comfortable living room, everything I can gather indicates the captain did a great job--but I am also a laymen and probably not qualified to say-----which is one reason i would never presume to demand that he be fired if I felt differently)

Edited by NHDisneylover

As I sit here on my sunlounger in the solarium with the sun now peeking through the clouds every now and again and the distant sounds of the waves gently crashing against the bow of the ship I can almost feel that I'm sat on the beach on Coco Cay where we should have been today.

The only thing that brings me back to reality is the woman walking past telling her husband in a loud disappointed New Jersey accent that her fries were cold.

I think I'm going to write a book on my general observations of people on cruise ships, a constant source of genuine amusement.

I'll buy your book.

Judy

ha! its quiet onboard today where is everyone?

One thing you have to remember is that this is nothing new. Almost every year on cc during hurricane season these threads crop up. There are many many seasoned cruisers on cc and many of us have been through storms like this, more than once. I just looked up our paper work from our rhapsody cruise back in 99 where the captain started telling us a day and a half before the storm that we would be sailing right smack into it, could not be avoided. Much smaller ship and we had 35' waves and lots of cosmetic damage. No one complained that I remember and no one got OBC or the cruise fare back or future cruise.

A day later most all was cleaned up and you could not even tell she went through a storm. She got back Vancouver, loaded new passengers, and proceeded on a 14 day to Hawaii

It will happen again, in fact, try next hurricane season

Another thing, cruising past cape Hatteras in winter can be a gamble, my parents were world travelers for many many years and the only place they would not take a cruise was one going by the graveyard. They tried it twice.

Will rci lose some cruisers over this, you bet ya, but no affect on the cruise line what so ever

Some leave because of meatloaf or concrete beds

It sure seemed like it was something new to the captain on Anthem.

Could've sworn he said something to the effect that this was his worst day at sea. I believe he also said it was "special." I would consider him a seasoned cruiser.

Hi Miopyc,

Perfect post!

My family was on anthem of the seas, this past week. I think royal needs to be more aware of passengers safety and avoiding storms. I think the only way for royal to hear us, is if all disgruntled passengers, boycott RCL until changes are made, such as the captain being fired. And addressing and making new regulations on how to handle storms. Look i have heard from many of people on board that captain thought he could out run this storm, and storm blew up and they got caught. Many meteorologists have stated this storm was expected. We passenger sneed to demand better safety. It can't alway be big cooperations dictating there bottom line to us. Remember without us, they would have empty ships. I have been loyal to royal for over 15 yrs, but I don't want to see this happen again, new jersey is a new port and they should set up different regulations and more training for there captains.

I certainly won't be boycotting RCI. I've been in a horrendous storm before on another cruise line, and I was thankful I was in capable hands. We knew it was coming, and the message was, "Brace yourselves, we're going through the storm and it's going to be bad."

We (cruisers) don't get to decide who is and is not fired as a captain. If RCI makes that determination after they complete a review of the events of the last few days, then fine. It certainly isn't something that should be decided by the public based on media reports and lots of supposition and assumptions. It should be made by careful deliberation after considering the FACTS.

Just a side note -- I'm surprised that you've been cruising with RCI for 15 years and yet you categorized NJ as a new port. I took a cruise from Cape Liberty in 2006, and the port had already been in operation for at least 2 years.

Edited by Cindy

That is your opinion and I certainly respect that. I disagree with you and that is my opinion. The storm was predicted. It was upgraded to hurricane force. The captain and or the powers that be at RCCL either chose to out run it and got caught or chose to sail right into it. Passengers lives were put at risk. I just feel somebody needs to be held accountable for that. That's my opinion and that's what I keep getting blasted for.

Go back and check the FACTS. storm was predicted 20 to 30 foot seas and 30 to 40 mph winds with gusts to 50 mph. Storm was not upgraded until 5:50pm on Sunday and Anthem was already in the storm which was THREE times worse than what was protected.

Not often I find myself on the same side of an argument as you but this time I agree 100%.

I also agree with loubetti. Some people have NO business going on a cruise.

For every one Royal loses over this the will likely gain two to replace them.

Thanks, and on this subject I have enjoyed reading your other post also

Go back and check the FACTS. storm was predicted 20 to 30 foot seas and 30 to 40 mph winds with gusts to 50 mph. Storm was not upgraded until 5:50pm on Sunday and Anthem was already in the storm which was THREE times worse than what was protected.

It was upgraded to hurricane force on Saturday.