Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

oops, sorry, double post.

They spent three days going 6-8 knots and they didn't know they might have a propulsion problem? I think that's more than the superficial damage they admitted to having.

They'll sail this weekend, fixed or not. They'll just change it to a seven day cruise to New York or Boston. Not a problem, the lemmings will eat it right up and proclaim it the best cruise ever.

Seeing that we've cruised with Captain Claus 20+ times and have been on itineraries where the weather has been just as bad (October 15, 2011 Sydney to Perth........bad weather getting to Port Douglas) I think I'm very qualified to say he is a very good man.

Agree, After taking the TA over with 2-30 foot waves and 90plus knot winds,

I'm a believer. Capt. Claus Andersen strong!:)

Serious question...what good would it have done for you to know there was a problem with part of the propulsion system.? I think it would have freaked people out which could have caused things to be even more tense than they already were.

I guess two questions to ask would be

1) Did they know about the propulsion issue, or was this only discovered earlier today upon further inspection?

2) Would going to the PC port as originally planned and staying there been a better choice?

I don't know enough about how these ships operate.. was sailing with a failing propulsion system a risk? I don't have the answer

Well, I suppose that might account for the "limping" pace of the trip back to Jersey. It seems unlikely that RCCL was unaware of this as it should be obvious to the ship's crew from the appearance of the wake. Hmm...

I am about 100% sure that they knew about the propulsion system damage by early Tuesday, February 9, at the latest. Perhaps they didn't wish to "panic" the already seriously traumatized guests on the ship - I am not sure, yet not prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But the "limping" was very obviously and the denial by silence has been very disconcerting.

True! Royal was quite generous with our 2012 Allure Hurricane Isaac cruise, which was shortened to 5 nights and sailed a vastly different itinerary from what we had booked. When I put a pencil to it, the $650 OBC plus 2 nights at Embassy Suites, plus up to $100 per day per person for food and incidentals, plus a 25% future cruise credit....Buz and I actually made a $265 profit. We were definitely thrilled.

Carol - you were there on that cruise! Did you come out ahead too?

Judy

That's where we met!

We made out even better than you!

We had a JS, so we got $850. (we used some of it to treat ourselves Royally with dinner at 150 Central Park with wine pairing ;) )

Hotels covered, meals covered, transportation changes covered. (for two days) And since my sons live in Orlando, I just changed my flight from FLL to MCO and spent two wonderful days with them, and then they drove me to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise!

The FCC was easy to apply, too.

:)

I guess two questions to ask would be

1) Did they know about the propulsion issue, or was this only discovered earlier today upon further inspection?

2) Would going to the PC port as originally planned and staying there been a better choice?

I don't know enough about how these ships operate.. was sailing with a failing propulsion system a risk? I don't have the answer

1) I suspect not because someone from the ship just reported cruising at 24 knots on day 1.

2) If it meant the end of the cruise, it's better to return the passengers to the embarkation port. Also, ending the cruise in PC would have been a PVSA violation. Cruises to nowhere are also no longer permitted but between the 2, the choice of the initial embarkation port is the better option.

The engineering department knows if there is an issue with the propulsion system. My guess it was not disclosed to the media or passengers. The return trip was time for the team to assess the issue and see if it could be fixed. Now that uscg is involved the problem has obviously not been fixed and rccl is trying to troubleshoot and get partsand/or contractors.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

1) I suspect not because someone from the ship just reported cruising at 24 knots on day 1.

2) If it meant the end of the cruise, it's better to return the passengers to the embarkation port. Also, ending the cruise in PC would have been a PVSA violation. Cruises to nowhere are also no longer permitted but between the 2, the choice of the initial embarkation port is the better option.

Day 1 @ 24 knots was before the storm, right? So the problem could have begun during or after the storm, I suppose. Would someone likely have noticed an odd wake? Also, wouldn't there be some other indication of such a problem via some sort of monitoring system?

ETA: Thanks for the answer, poz222 - just saw your post.

Edited by cheezwiz

The engineering department knows if there is an issue with the propulsion system. My guess it was not disclosed to the media or passengers. The return trip was time for the team to assess the issue and see if it could be fixed. Now that uscg is involved the problem has obviously not been fixed and rccl is trying to troubleshoot and get partsand/or contractors.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Wonder if the system is still under warranty[emoji13]? If steaming into a cat 5 Bombogenesis unplanned hurricane is covered in said warranty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Day 1 @ 24 knots was before the storm, right? So the problem could have begun during or after the storm, I suppose. Would someone likely have noticed an odd wake? Also, wouldn't there be some other indication of such a problem via some sort of monitoring system?

Yes, it was before the storm. I interpreted the question to mean...was there a problem before sailing, because someone else made that allegation. I may have misinterpreted the question.

Wonder if the system is still under warranty[emoji13]? If steaming into a cat 5 Bombogenesis unplanned hurricane is covered in said warranty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Like Rccl would be honest about it.

" i don't know what happened, we didn't touch it! It was working fine and then it just stopped!. We swear!!! "

Edited by shaun07

Yes, it was before the storm. I interpreted the question to mean...was there a problem before sailing, because someone else made that allegation. I may have misinterpreted the question.

considering the captains plan was to out run the storm i doubt it was an issue before sailing....then again it is rccl

Edited by shaun07

ETA: Thanks for the answer, poz222 - just saw your post.

There is a picture on twitter of the wake that I saw yesterday. It did not look even at all.

Seeing that we've cruised with Captain Claus 20+ times and have been on itineraries where the weather has been just as bad (October 15, 2011 Sydney to Perth........bad weather getting to Port Douglas) I think I'm very qualified to say he is a very good man.

You really do lack a sense of humour.

Like Rccl would be honest about it.

" i don't know what happened, we didn't touch it! It was working fine and then it just stopped!. We swear!!! "

If you have sailed on ships with Az Pods you should probably know they can be prone to problems. I have been on the Freedom where its sailed an entire cruise on 1 Pod. The bearings in them can get damage and they shut them down however they can be used if really needed. So just consider that perhaps they did set sail with all the Pods fully operational. If the ship was anywhere near 20+ knows they were all operational. Let's assume one Pod was damaged in the storm so after the storm was over they shut it down as a precaution to prevent more damage. Yes they probably knew but at that point there was probably no need to get people more upset. The fact that they sailed so slowly coming back should have been the first clue. I am surprised no passengers noticed one Pod being out. I would have noticed it but would not have been concerned at that point.

This is all based on the assumption these reports are accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD