Propulsion Damage on the Anthem !!

FIRELT5

Amazing what the more than 25 year technology gap between the early 747 and the early 777 meant in terms of efficiency...
What I find more amazing is that it was just over 65 years from the Wrights first flight to the first flight of a 747. 18 years from now (2034) will be 65 years from the 747's first flight, and 747s (okay, not 747-100s) will still be flying in commercial service.

I had several Aunts who were born before the Wright Bothers flew and lived to watch a man land on the man 65 years later. I still have a difficult time wrapping my brain around that fact.

Thom

This gets brought up a lot on these boards and in case anyone is interested in somewhat technical documentation published by ASEA Brown Boveri; one manufacture of these amazing submersed propulsion pods, have a look here:

https://library.e.abb.com/public/6c1b0250efd18e73c1257a530040dcf2/XO2100_XO2300_Product_Intro_lowres.pdf

The renderings in these documents should give one an idea of the size of the mechanical parts used along with explanation of specifics.

Edited by cpufrost

This gets brought up a lot on these boards and in case anyone is interested in somewhat technical documentation published by ASEA Brown Boveri; one manufacture of these amazing submersed propulsion pods, have a look here:

https://library.e.abb.com/public/6c1b0250efd18e73c1257a530040dcf2/XO2100_XO2300_Product_Intro_lowres.pdf

The renderings in these documents should give one an idea of the size of the mechanical parts used along with explanation of specifics.

A very interesting document. Thanks for the link!

At the rate I'm gaining knowledge from this thread, I'll soon (okay, maybe 40 years) be able to fix those azipods if Chengkp75 is off busy fixing toilets:p. I have in the past commended Cheng for his attempts to keep Cruise Critics straight (I'm not sure that God could succeed at that), and once again say "Thanks, Cheng!", especially in light of some of the abuse he took while trying to be an honest broker on one of the recent threads.

Thom

I also knew someone who freighter cruised in the past and they enjoyed it, doing it numerous times. They joked I was "soft" for cruise ship cruising, compared to how they sailed. I will admit it does fascinate me, to the point that I might try it one day.

And are you planning to bring a portable flowrider with you?;):p

If I remember Allure was down a pod for a few months until they rigged up a way to dry dock her in the Bahamas. It was quite the technique that they did as the dock physically was not big enough. RC did have a video for it somewhere, but that must have been back in 2014.

Found it. Here is link to the video of it. Rather interesting viewing.

We were on the first cruise after the fix. I was nervous the whole week of the fix as to whether the ship would be ready since they had never tried this type of fix. I was such a relief to fly over Port Everglades and actually see, first hand, Allure tied up at pier 18.:)

Now that I have been sufficiently chastised, I have a question for you. Why is it Displacement Tons are mainly applied to Naval ships and not commercial ships? Obviously, it must be important to the military. Why is it not important to commercial interests?

I'm really not sure why the military cares about displacement, unless it goes back to the old Naval Treaty days, where each country was allowed so many cruisers that could not exceed so many tons displacement.

Commercial ships don't care how much a ship weighs. It is what it is. Commercial ships make their money hauling cargo (or people, the cargo that talks back), so they are interested in gross tonnage (the volume of cargo that can be carried), and deadweight (the weight of that cargo that can be carried). Freight rates are set using a combination of the two. A heavy item requires more fuel to push that weight through the water. A light, but voluminous item takes up space that other cargo could go into.

We were on the first cruise after the fix. I was nervous the whole week of the fix as to whether the ship would be ready since they had never tried this type of fix. I was such a relief to fly over Port Everglades and actually see, first hand, Allure tied up at pier 18.:)

Actually, the only unique portion of the repair was the way that they built the cofferdams to keep the water away from the pods, and the ability of the dock to lift a portion of the weight of the ship. Once she was lifted and the cofferdams closed and pumped out, it was just like any other azipod repair.

Wow....so can I assume are we somewhat "fluffy passengers and projected big bags" included in that 11,000 ton figure..or is that another figure..(lol..bad dream: wt loss needed before boarding of all passengers before this cruise can go..your records given are over the limit..you all have 3 months..LOL) thanks...very interesting.

Passengers are the "cargo" of a cruise ship, so they and their baggage are included in the deadweight. Using a round number like 6000 pax and crew, with an average weight of 220 lbs (100 kg), that only accounts for 300 metric tons or 2.7% of the allowable deadweight. Fuel, drinking water, and ballast water probably make up 9-10,000 tons.

You just had to quote that, after I put them on the ignore list. However, it is so off the wall, that I'm not even going to bother with it.

You are so right. It is not surprising that so many people here are not educated on most ship operations and engineering, after all it is not something most of us do for a living or were trained on. What is surprising are the people who, when given an opportunity to learn from experts, fail to take advantage of said opportunities.

Such people belong on ignore lists.

If I remember Allure was down a pod for a few months until they rigged up a way to dry dock her in the Bahamas. It was quite the technique that they did as the dock physically was not big enough. RC did have a video for it somewhere, but that must have been back in 2014.

Found it. Here is link to the video of it. Rather interesting viewing.

great video...thanks for sharing...I remember Captain Johnny well....quite the character.

This type of damage was anticipated here while the ship was still at sea.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49026303#post49026303

This is what I thought, the crew dropped the ball.

One crew member with an iphone could have checked the weather? You don't how easy it is to do for the Captain/Bridge Crew.

Royal Caribbean is in cover up mode it seems.

CaptDave

You are so right. It is not surprising that so many people here are not educated on most ship operations and engineering, after all it is not something most of us do for a living or were trained on. What is surprising are the people who, when given an opportunity to learn from experts, fail to take advantage of said opportunities.

Such people belong on ignore lists.

That last post was so over the top, I'm starting to believe the laws of physics don't apply inside their front door.

One crew member with an iphone could have checked the weather? You don't how easy it is to do for the Captain/Bridge Crew.

CaptDave

Huh? First off, the thread where ehfl linked doesn't have anything near it about damage to the pods, other than some speculation that there "must be" some because it was a storm. Not tracking that link. And then not tracking your reference to it, with regards to weather.

Again, no damage to the pod, just a few parts worn prematurely, and a pod secured to prevent further damage. The Bahamas Maritime Authority, not you, will be the one to decide whether RCI's procedures for passage planning need to be revised. And what cover up? They reported to the USCG that they had shut down a pod, and cooperated with the USCG during the Port State inspection, and didn't rebut any statements made by the USCG, so I don't see any cover up, but then I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

Actually, the only unique portion of the repair was the way that they built the cofferdams to keep the water away from the pods, and the ability of the dock to lift a portion of the weight of the ship. Once she was lifted and the cofferdams closed and pumped out, it was just like any other azipod repair.

Yeah, but I was concerned that they would find unexpected issues. And when the ship left on the cruise 4 hrs. late with pretty much no announcements as to why (after we were told at 4:50 PM that the bridge was preparing for an on time departure) I was getting a bit anxious that something was not working right!

Passengers are the "cargo" of a cruise ship, so they and their baggage are included in the deadweight. Using a round number like 6000 pax and crew, with an average weight of 220 lbs (100 kg), that only accounts for 300 metric tons or 2.7% of the allowable deadweight. Fuel, drinking water, and ballast water probably make up 9-10,000 tons.

Thank you!!! I was both joking and wanted to understand!!! Happy Weekend!!!

CaptDave

I have several weather apps on my IPhone, I would love to know the one that is better than the information that the captain and crew had. Please share.:rolleyes:

I always wonder if people don't actually read the these threads, but just throw the same stuff out again and again without any connection to reality.

JC

I have several weather apps on my IPhone, I would love to know the one that is better than the information that the captain and crew had. Please share.:rolleyes:

I always wonder if people don't actually read the these threads, but just throw the same stuff out again and again without any connection to reality.

JC

Its appears to be a popular thing to do. All the cool kids do it.:cool:

Edited by A&L_Ont