Propulsion Damage on the Anthem !!

FIRELT5

The B-52 is an amazing aircraft, but never forget what its mission is. ;) Back then you needed 8 engines to power it, today you could do it with 4.

The 747, like it predecessor the 707, was a game changer for air travel. After the 707, Pan Am's Juan Trippe wanted even bigger, and Bill Allen, CEO at Boeing agreed to build it, and they did it on a hand shake! Trippe said; "you build it, I'll buy it". Boeing literally bet the company to build it, and the huge building to build it in. Today, the Boeing facility at Renton, Washington remains the world's largest building.

Kudos to Joe Sutter the lead designer / engineer whose team built the 747.

The Boeing 707 brought us into the "jet age" of air travel, and caused the demise of the ocean liners crossing the seas. However, the 747 brought jet air travel to the masses, much like the mega ships of today. She provided the "economy of scale" that Trippe wanted, just like the mega ships do for cruising today.

These days the newest cruise ships are steered with joy sticks and knobs, but with the 747 you still have a proper yoke / control wheel in front of you. However, ships are not planes in this regard.

I have flown both the Boeing 707 and 747, and the 747 is truly a delight to hand fly (we mostly use the autopilot otherwise).

The new version of the 747, the "748", will probably find its niche with air freight companies, and as the new Air Force One for the US president. She will live on.

I expect the Airbus A380 will not- wrong airplane at the wrong time. Airbus did not sell a single A380 in 2015. Boeing got it right with the 787 Dreamliner.

With ships, perhaps bigger is better for some, with planes, smaller and more efficient is these days.

The new version of the 747, the "748", will probably find its niche with air freight companies, and as the new Air Force One for the US president. She will live on.

I expect the Airbus A380 will not- wrong airplane at the wrong time. Airbus did not sell a single A380 in 2015. Boeing got it right with the 787 Dreamliner.

The 748 was simply Boeing waving the white flag and not being able to take on such a monumental task as Airbus had taken on its shoulders at the time. Let's keep in mind that Boeing was keen on being the first to bring the first double-decker plane to the skies, but once they looked at the numbers they just couldn't do it.

I think the 777 and how that project went way over-budget must have been a factor.

Airbus, on the other hand, also had its qualms about the feasibility of the project. But fast forward to today and boy is that piece of machinery a joy to watch. This is the most advanced (civilian) aircraft humankind has ever constructed.

To me the Dreamliner - which seems a joke-of-a-name because the only people in la-la-land are the accountants looking at fuel costs - is a major let down. Small plane, nothing special, just burns less fuel and has bigger windows - which on a side note doesn't make me feel more comfortable at all.

Getting back to the Anthem of the Seas, what is the hypothetical scenario if during the storm both azipods went offline? I assume it would be near impossible to hold the desired heading whilst drifting?

The 748 was simply Boeing waving the white flag and not being able to take on such a monumental task as Airbus had taken on its shoulders at the time. Let's keep in mind that Boeing was keen on being the first to bring the first double-decker plane to the skies, but once they looked at the numbers they just couldn't do it....

My understand was that Boeing looked at the marketing forecasts for an A380 type aircraft and decided there was not enough volume there to make it profitable. They were right.

My understand was that Boeing looked at the marketing forecasts for an A380 type aircraft and decided there was not enough volume there to make it profitable. They were right.

Looking at the gigantic costs involved they couldn't see themselves making it profitable, so they didn't take up the task. Airbus did.

Make no mistake, the A380 is a technological marvel and the best plane ever built.

2016 has kicked-off to a great start for Airbus with 15 new A380s placed on order in January alone...

Looking at the gigantic costs involved they couldn't see themselves making it profitable, so they didn't take up the task. Airbus did.....

Yes, that's true, and it does help the decision making when the company does not have to be profitable. Airbus will never make back their investment on the A380.

Edited by clarea

Have you ever seen the one at MCO? Hidden in the trees, you can just make it out on 528. I may take my grandson if I can figure out how to get to it

Saw this for the first time flying home from MCO last Thursday. Not sure how I could have missed it before. John...I'd be very interested in knowing if you can tour through it, if you figure that out for your grandson.

Lou - I'll trust your judgement that the 787 is a better bet at this point than the A380. I flew an A380 from Seoul to Atlanta a few months ago and all I can say is Wow. The entire upper deck was outfitted as Business Class...26 rows set up as 2/2/2 = 156 business class seats, plus small lounge areas in the front and back. Korean Air did a great job with their service. I can see how it takes a special gate(s) though to handle the number of passengers on these monsters.

Maybe I'll start Airplane Critic. :D

Airliners.net beat you to it. If you think Royal v. Carnival bickering can get intense, you've never seen an Airbus v. Boeing fanboy battle. I used to be a moderator on that site and some of those threads made me reach for the nearest adult beverage.

Airliners.net beat you to it. If you think Royal v. Carnival bickering can get intense, you've never seen an Airbus v. Boeing fanboy battle. I used to be a moderator on that site and some of those threads made me reach for the nearest adult beverage.

You really did make me laugh out loud.:D

These days the newest cruise ships are steered with joy sticks and knobs, as is the the Airbus 320. However, ships are ... planes in this regard.

a320-cockpit.jpg

Cockpit-ATS-A3201.jpg

hqdefault.jpg This is no yoke.

And here we have the cockpit of an mid 1970s craft built for long distance travel ...

EndeavourFlightDeck_cooper_1050.jpg

These days the newest cruise ships are steered with joy sticks and knobs,

While everyone is drawn to the bridge wing controls at each side, where the Captain maneuvers the ship while docking, and these are joystick type controls that combine power control with directional control, these are only used in restricted waters. Once underway, even within a place like NY harbor, but in the channel heading out, control is transferred to a normal old helm wheel and engine order telegraph. The watch officer controls the speed of the ship with the telegraph, per the pilot or Captain's orders, and the helmsman steers the ship just like any other, his wheel directing the steering motors of the pods to point in the right direction. These controls are so small and "unsexy" today, that the wing consoles get all the love. Then once out of harbor, the autopilot takes over steering, while the telegraph still controls the speed.

While everyone is drawn to the bridge wing controls at each side, where the Captain maneuvers the ship while docking, and these are joystick type controls that combine power control with directional control, these are only used in restricted waters. Once underway, even within a place like NY harbor, but in the channel heading out, control is transferred to a normal old helm wheel and engine order telegraph. The watch officer controls the speed of the ship with the telegraph, per the pilot or Captain's orders, and the helmsman steers the ship just like any other, his wheel directing the steering motors of the pods to point in the right direction. These controls are so small and "unsexy" today, that the wing consoles get all the love. Then once out of harbor, the autopilot takes over steering, while the telegraph still controls the speed.

FC-DSC_6314_zpsiw4l2zvp.jpg

FD-DSC_6316_zpsg0zmazgh.jpg

FE-DSC_6319_zpsfk4bvgah.jpg

RE_zpse572834f.jpg

aaNOL_zpsaba6a6b5.jpg

0050x.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

And you'll notice that on Photo #3, The Voyage #, the Passengers count, the Crew count and the total is always written by hand.

Makes sense since that information changes every cruise.

Anyone else notice how much their math sucks? ;)