Propulsion Damage on the Anthem !!

FIRELT5

As they are now replacing the clutches on Both of the main rear thrusters

(azipods), doesn't any one think that they were both damaged in this violent storm?

They had to work at maximum capacity for long hours. (overheating perhaps?)

They have a history of failing on some cruise lines.

Several folks that were on this ship posted videos on twitter saying the ship had slowed to

1 to 4 knots for 3 or four hours... during the storm event. We have this on video.

You are welcome to go find those posts. Or I can send them to your mysterious location. ;)

The Chief weatherman (Not Al Roker) from Miami has said this storm was very well predicted,

Hurricane winds and so forth by NOAA on Thursday. I have those posts for you also.

He also said everyone is lucky to be alive.

Not flaming here, that is what he said, not me.

As to all the folks that say their vacation is being ruined on new cruises,

all I can say is.... Really?

Cheng> We luv ya, I know you are a great guy...

I met Claudio Capusti on the Bridge with just our family years back.

He told me, You know Ed, 90% of the ships officers are from Italy

I responded: Yes Claudio, It's in your genes... (Ie: Christopher Columbus, who also lost a ship...)

He burst out laughing which is hard to get a Captain to do.... lol

And in closing as my special needs soon was at the wheel, I asked him...

Do you know what I like about you?

He asked : What?

I responded. You do not turn off the stabilizers for that bonus...

He blushed. Really.

I'd rather be a cruzin' than a workin'...

Thanks again Cheng, you are a very good guy.

Take care and safe journeys.

Hope the Anthem recovers soon, and now is the official U-Turn ship

in the world... :)

I'm currently working tankers in the Gulf of Mexico. Been riding the anchor for a couple weeks now. Cleaning the ship to switch from crude oil to clean product to bring gasoline to the hungry folks in Florida.

I've worked the offshore oil industry, container ships, RO/RO ships, bulk carriers, tankers, and cruise ships.

The company has been gracious enough to finally step into the last century and give us some limited internet, so my absences may be less than previous.

And, yes, Chief is fine. I generally answer to anything but "a**hole". But I get that from the better half a lot.

Thank you for the insight to your past and current tasks that you might find in your day. It is definitely a broad range of ships that you have worked on. I have found the RO/RO ships to be interesting, especially the cargo that they carry. I'd sign up to roll on and off anything from heavy equipment to a Bentley. I am always up to driving anything and up for a challenge. I might not move fast enough to keep up to the crew, but it sure would be fun to help off load for a day.

I have investigated shipping one of my modern Ford Mustangs to Belgium to use in Europe for a summer trip. It is rather interesting process such as the sipulations on fuel in the car, to no personal or any extra items in the car, drop port, fees and the actual act of getting your car to the ship in a container or RO/RO depending on method of shipment.

I also knew someone who freighter cruised in the past and they enjoyed it, doing it numerous times. They joked I was "soft" for cruise ship cruising, compared to how they sailed. I will admit it does fascinate me, to the point that I might try it one day.

On a side note it is nice to know generally where you are located and what you are up to. It gives a bit of a personal connection on top of the sea of knowledge that you have and pass on to us. When ever we pass a tanker in the Caribbean I will now wonder if you are on it.

As for the wifi at sea, I bet you love to have it more than just on land. As for your nick name, if you are good with Chief I will go with it. With 41 years as a graduate of Kings Point I feel it is a good one. Much better than a hole.:);)

Hey yes, I did..at first I thought maybe divers but then I remembered my daughter's fiance(officer on another line) telling me that they can be worked on from inside the ship and I found that illustration.

If interested, there's also a recent ep. of Mighty cruise ships where they go in.

It's definitely not for the claustrophobic though. Very tight and unpleasant.

Not as worried about the limitations of running on one pod in the storm - my greater concern would be the fact that we are just one pod away from losing propulsion altogether.

Just curious but who is the captain of the Anthem, and was it entirely his call or did he get approval from HQ to take on such a course and they approved?

Edited by astera

Thank you for the insight to your past and current tasks that you might find in your day. It is definitely a broad range of ships that you have worked on. I have found the RO/RO ships to be interesting, especially the cargo that they carry. I'd sign up to roll on and off anything from heavy equipment to a Bentley. I am always up to driving anything and up for a challenge. I might not move fast enough to keep up to the crew, but it sure would be fun to help off load for a day.

I have investigated shipping one of my modern Ford Mustangs to Belgium to use in Europe for a summer trip. It is rather interesting process such as the sipulations on fuel in the car, to no personal or any extra items in the car, drop port, fees and the actual act of getting your car to the ship in a container or RO/RO depending on method of shipment.

I also knew someone who freighter cruised in the past and they enjoyed it, doing it numerous times. They joked I was "soft" for cruise ship cruising, compared to how they sailed. I will admit it does fascinate me, to the point that I might try it one day.

On a side note it is nice to know generally where you are located and what you are up to. It gives a bit of a personal connection on top of the sea of knowledge that you have and pass on to us. When ever we pass a tanker in the Caribbean I will now wonder if you are on it.

As for the wifi at sea, I bet you love to have it more than just on land. As for your nick name, if you are good with Chief I will go with it. With 41 years as a graduate of Kings Point I feel it is a good one. Much better than a hole.:);)

We need to talk... You know they make really nice cars in Europe too. Maybe even as nice as a Mustang... You can drive them at autobahn speeds. I have done this, it is awesome. I went for two hours at one stretch heading to Frankfurt never below 100MPH.... Topped out at 140MPH, and people passed me often.

JC

so if the quantum loses one pod. they are one pod away from being stranded at sea. There must be some sort of back up?

Yes, all of the fat over weight passengers, paddling from life rafts.

It is awesome. The Vikings conquered Western Europe with this system. It is perfect for cruise ships too.

Drama.... Drama... Drama....

JC

Well, that's exactly what happens, if a plane loses and engine mid-flight. Of course, nobody wants that to happen mid-flight, but the planes are designed to handle that contingency and still be able to fly.

(I do know of one exception to the above. I saw a documentary on the development of the Boeing 747, and they were having trouble with engines flaming out when they tried to push them to full power. They intentionally caused on of these flame-outs when an executive of the engine company (I think it was GE) was on a test flight to drive home the point that they needed the problem to be fixed.)

I watched the same show about the 747 you mentioned. The engine manufacturer was Pratt & Whitney.

Chief -

I always am in awe of your explanations. I found this link to a pdf that describes the XO Azipods: (for tech geeks)

https://library.e.abb.com/public/6c1b0250efd18e73c1257a530040dcf2/XO2100_XO2300_Product_Intro_lowres.pdf

It's a very impressive system. The power requirment for normal autopilot mode steering is 50-108 kilowatts!

Aloha,

John

ps: The Anthem has XO2300 pods rated at 21.5MW

The Navy will not deliberately send a carrier into a storm with wind speeds up to 65-75 miles per hour. Seems wrong to send a huge cruise ship into those same winds. A modern Navy carrier weighs less than the Anthem, but has about 10 feet deeper draft.

Not saying a captain shouldn't sail into those wind speeds but 65-75 MPH winds are not pretty much nothing. I have cruised over 20 times

and never experienced 65-75 MPH winds. My departures have always been from Florida and always to the Caribbean.

The reason they didnt disembark the passengers in Port Canaveral is becase of some maritime laws that permit them, as a foreign ship, so only do certain things.

For example, they can do what they did, and come back to create a full loop, without hitting another port, and be fine.

If they did want to make a straight shot, they would have had to stop at a foreign port (non-US) first, which they did not.

The fine is somewhere along the lines of $300 per person, from what I've heard over the past few days.

Please don't take this as me saying it is right or wrong.....but just informing that this was probably one of the major factors at play.

Technically your thinking here is correct. But since the ship had encountered the storm and was damaged this would be one of the rare occasions the PVSA requirement would be waived if it was determined the ship needed to go to the closest port no matter which one it could have been(which we know it didn't need to) as an emergency.

The Navy will not deliberately send a carrier into a storm with wind speeds up to 65-75 miles per hour. Seems wrong to send a huge cruise ship into those same winds. A modern Navy carrier weighs less than the Anthem, but has about 10 feet deeper draft.

What about the aircraft carrier in Final Countdown?

As to actual weight (displacement) I'll bet an aircraft carrier outweighs all cruise ship with the possible exception of the three Oasis class ships.

Now, you see here where people get confused about "tonnage". I'm assuming you are talking about Anthem's 168,000 gross tons? Gross tons are a measure of interior volume of a ship, not it's weight. Naval vessels don't use gross tonnage, since the volume of the ship doesn't matter, as gross tonnage relates to cargo carrying capacity.

Displacement, however, is the amount of water the ship displaces when floating, so this is the weight of the ship. A Nimitz class carrier has a displacement of 100,000 tons, while Anthem has a displacement of 78,000 tons, or about 3/4 of what the carrier weighs. And the drafts (11.3m for the Nimitz, and 8.5 for Anthem) are also, surprisingly, in the ratio of 3/4. How about that.

If anthem had lost the other pod would it be dead in the water. I know it has bow trusters. But would it me able to make port with just them

Bow thrusters just provide sideways force, not forward propulsive force. It's not like the Starship Enterprise.

That would an interesting concept, a sidewinder cruise ship like the rattler below. There would be plenty of aft balconies to sell at a premium. The wing on the forward direction side could be used as the main control area and half way through the cruise it would be easy to change to the other side for the forward direction so those balconies would now be aft and the control of the ship would simply change to the opposite bridge wing. :p

Sidewinder-snake-in-desert.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Now, you see here where people get confused about "tonnage". I'm assuming you are talking about Anthem's 168,000 gross tons? Gross tons are a measure of interior volume of a ship, not it's weight. Naval vessels don't use gross tonnage, since the volume of the ship doesn't matter, as gross tonnage relates to cargo carrying capacity.

Displacement, however, is the amount of water the ship displaces when floating, so this is the weight of the ship. A Nimitz class carrier has a displacement of 100,000 tons, while Anthem has a displacement of 78,000 tons, or about 3/4 of what the carrier weighs. And the drafts (11.3m for the Nimitz, and 8.5 for Anthem) are also, surprisingly, in the ratio of 3/4. How about that.

Older monitors and TV screens are also in the 3/4 ratio.

As to actual weight (displacement) I'll bet an aircraft carrier outweighs all cruise ship with the possible exception of the three Oasis class ships.

Actually, the Oasis class has a displacement of 100,000 tons, so it is a rough tie with the Nimitz.

Not as worried about the limitations of running on one pod in the storm - my greater concern would be the fact that we are just one pod away from losing propulsion altogether.

Just curious but who is the captain of the Anthem, and was it entirely his call or did he get approval from HQ to take on such a course and they approved?

But they didn't run on one pod in the storm, nor did they "lose" one pod. It was shut down as a precaution.

Not as worried about the limitations of running on one pod in the storm - my greater concern would be the fact that we are just one pod away from losing propulsion

I agree. Anthem aside. I think it's crazy that some ships are allowed to sail for weeks. With mechanical issue.

You would lose your bet. The Celebrity S class ships all weigh more than the latest Navy carriers. The carriers are also a bit shorter than the S class ships. But the carriers hulls are about 10 deeper in the water.

We need to talk... You know they make really nice cars in Europe too. Maybe even as nice as a Mustang... You can drive them at autobahn speeds. I have done this, it is awesome. I went for two hours at one stretch heading to Frankfurt never below 100MPH.... Topped out at 140MPH, and people passed me often.

JC

Yes we do, talk that is. We have a few of Eoropean ones tucked away here. ;) Last time I was in Germany I was doing 110 mph in a Toureg on my way to Leipzig, leaving most behind but every once in a while another car would come out of no where. The thing is they have better cars there but, NA cars turn heads there as they are not often seen. I would either take the Shelby GT 500 or the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. The transport over would cost more than a rental, but it is always nicer to be driving your own car. DW thinks I'm nuts, but I respond with the following. I asked and you sad yes to my proposal.:p

When I was in Paris a few years ago I saw 2 newer Mustangs and what might have been a few old diplomat cars (older 40s Ford sedan and 50s Plymouth Fury) that were left behind. Those 4 cars turned more heads than the screaming Ferrari that went down the Champs Élysées. Trust me it caught my ears and eyes but for whatever reason the locals seemed blasé about it.

We actually went to see part of Ralph Lauren's personal car collection which was on a tour at the Museum De Art Decoratifs in Paris. It was an amazing collection but surprisingly enough the cars were not in pristine condition. It was a nice break from the other museums that we toured. I found it in the Robb Report as we were flying over and we went to it on its opening day. The line up to get in was all men, the only female was my wife. :)