Anthem Feb 13 Sailing would you cancel?

TNCruzer56

I'm torn on the question posed by the OP.

It's clear that the Captain did a great job dealing with the storm. But it's also clear that he's not telling the truth when he says that the weather forecasts were wrong. The forecasts did say that waves up to 35 feet were possible.

I'd like Royal to make a statement along these lines: "We made a very poor judgment call when we decided to proceed with the Anthem cruise despite the dangerous weather forecast. We apologize and will, in the future, act with the safety of our passengers as our number one concern" But they won't do it because they are afraid of government and civil liability.

Waves are one thing, wind is quite another. Wind at this force would cause listing and other problems even if it were possible for it to exist without wave action too. Once you are in the middle of a storm the time to outrun it has come and gone, you have to try to keep the bow pointed to the wind and power on to maintain steering even if you aren't really making headway.

Does anyone know what speeds Anthem was cruising at Saturday night and Sunday morning? I doubt they were going full speed to try to beat a storm that, on paper forecast, should not have posed such a huge problem.

I was hoping for some heavy weather when I went, but it was mainly flat seas.

Would like to be on a ship when the seas were wild. Must have been a blast.

So .... yes, if they could guarantee a severe storm I would sail with him. :D

I'm one of those crazies that wanted the bad weather to see the ship handle it. I got it on the crossing into NJ. The ship handled it well, dishes and stuff in the my room did break. A lot of sea sickness that day. But I enjoyed the side to side and up and down. There was no walking a straight line for a couple of days. Grant it, it was not as bad as this one, but it was fun.

Not likely. :D

You`re right-

Lie # 2 from your trusty Cap`t.

"Nothing but cosmetic damage"

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Anthem-of-Seas-Cruise-Ship-Storm-Damage-Coast-Guard-Inspectors-Royal-Caribbean-368534091.html

One of the Azipods was out of commission, all the way back from the hurricane-How many more lies are going to surface in the next 48 hours.

Still wanna sail with captain honest???

I read a similar post made today, or yesterday, from a well respected meteorologist who said this was predicted and noted on weather info charts. But it seems to me none of the forecasts called for the speed of wind that was encountered. Hurricane winds, YES, but those speeds are approximately 60% of what was actually encountered. So I'm hesitant to crucify the captain here entirely.

I mean, if you are on a ship totally safe and capable of handling 74 MPH winds, and the weather report says rapidly deteriorating conditions, hurricane strength winds, would you be overly alarmed? I haven't seen anything from before the storm predict the cat 3/cat 4 level winds.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

I can't.

The OP posted a chart showing max winds of 65 knots (I know how to read wind barbs). Yes that is "hurricane speed" or the end of the Beaufort scale of force 12. However, after that who knows where the speed might go.

Force 12 and 30' seas I have been on. Certainly not a smooth ride, however, we did not need to go to our cabins, and made it to afternoon tea (okay, it was QE2!). Now, double the wind speed and even QM2 will have issues with it.

"Hurricane" force winds only start at around 73 mph, add 30' seas, and Anthem could easily deal with that (pax would be another story). That is what the captain expected, not twice the wind speed, or around 130+ knots (150 mph).

Frankly, considering that she is not an ocean liner, I think Anthem proved her worth in these conditions, so did the captain and crew.

I don't think we should view this weather incident as a negative, but a positive, and have comfort in knowing even these mega cruise ships will keep you safe. Maybe sick, but still safe.

Go back to the NCL boards.

I would sail with that captain any time.

Folks this is the same poster that recommended someone go on Costa. "Try Costa outta Venice" We all know they haven't had any problems!

"Go back to the NCL boards?" What the hell does that mean???? You sound as bad as the OP. Both NCL ships on the eastern seaboard were in the bahamas when the storm hit....Not sure what dumb joke you were trying to make.

I can't.

The OP posted a chart showing max winds of 65 knots (I know how to read wind barbs). Yes that is "hurricane speed" or the end of the Beaufort scale of force 12. However, after that who knows where the speed might go.

Force 12 and 30' seas I have been on. Certainly not a smooth ride, however, we did not need to go to our cabins, and made it to afternoon tea (okay, it was QE2!). Now, double the wind speed and even QM2 will have issues with it.

"Hurricane" force winds only start at around 73 mph, add 30' seas, and Anthem could easily deal with that (pax would be another story). That is what the captain expected, not twice the wind speed, or around 130+ knots (150 mph).

Frankly, considering that she is not an ocean liner, I think Anthem proved her worth in these conditions, so did the captain and crew.

I don't think we should view this weather incident as a negative, but a positive, and have comfort in knowing even these mega cruise ships will keep you safe. Maybe sick, but still safe.

Thank you.

"Go back to the NCL boards?" What the hell does that mean???? You sound as bad as the OP. Both NCL ships on the eastern seaboard were in the bahamas when the storm hit....Not sure what dumb joke you were trying to make.

Look at OP's posting history. Until Anthem, he has been an NCL board denizen. He has only come over here to badmouth the Anthem situation.

Look at OP's posting history. Until Anthem, he has been an NCL board denizen. He has only come over here to badmouth the Anthem situation.

Karina, I only have empathy for what you endured on your cruise and you think that the same skipper that got you into a pickle, "heroically" got you out , but please tell me why you feel the need to strike out. I am simply pointing out 2, TWO, II, LIES that were told to you. I have no other screen-names (actually it`s pretty hard to do from one computer now as CC tracks your ISP addy) and no other agenda. I would think that slugging it home at 6 knots would be irritating enough, but then to find out that "perhaps" and I say Perhaps, with 2 screws running, the skipper could have held the ship into the wind better and by extension, made that nightmare more tolerable. I am speculating as to when the port azipod went out, but parts of the puzzle are becoming more clear.

We should know more by the weekend. Glad that you are home safe!

BTW I`m CCL plat and also totally enjoyed the Allure!

As posted on another thread re the just completed shorten Anthem cruise.

My take on this is Royal Caribbean was in a no win situation at the start of this cruise no matter what they did. All one has to do is look at the threads and roll call of the previous cruise, the delayed Jan. 25th one or should be now identified as the Jan.26th one.

There was such an uproar by those onboard of the change from an western to an eastern itinerary, more than about the one day delay. Carol, Merion Mom, mentioned one of the reasons for this was bad weather expected in the western Caribbean. Granted it wasn't expected to be any way close to hurricane type storm but neither was the one that Anthem went through this week by many of the weather experts.

As you can see in my signature we were on Anthem last month and two days ago I booked another Anthem cruise for next month. I have no problems what ever sailing with Capt. Andersen on a RCI ship. In fact I believe it would have been quite exciting to sail in such a storm which I have done a few times in the open Pacific and Indian oceans. The latter on a Radiance class ship dodging several Cyclones.

Edited by robtulipe

I have no other screen-names (actually it`s pretty hard to do from one computer now as CC tracks your ISP addy) and no other agenda.

Funny, DW set up her own CC account not that long ago and had no problem doing so with the same internet provider and computer I use. :confused:

I thinks she trying to keep tabs on me here on CC. :eek:

Karina, I only have empathy for what you endured on your cruise and you think that the same skipper that got you into a pickle, "heroically" got you out , but please tell me why you feel the need to strike out. I am simply pointing out 2, TWO, II, LIES that were told to you. I have no other screen-names (actually it`s pretty hard to do from one computer now as CC tracks your ISP addy) and no other agenda. I would think that slugging it home at 6 knots would be irritating enough, but then to find out that "perhaps" and I say Perhaps, with 2 screws running, the skipper could have held the ship into the wind better and by extension, made that nightmare more tolerable. I am speculating as to when the port azipod went out, but parts of the puzzle are becoming more clear.

We should know more by the weekend. Glad that you are home safe!

BTW I`m CCL plat and also totally enjoyed the Allure!

Thank you for your "empathy".

I guess guilt must be doing something to you because no one said anything about dual identities except you.

I was merely answering the question of why you were told to go back to the ncl boards.

If you don't want to appear to be badmouthing, perhaps you shouldn't use antagonistic biased insults to describe a situation.

I was on the ship. You weren't. Your "thoughts", as well as a majority of those posting in these threads who weren't mean less than nothing to me. My aim, except for my final post in a different thread, has been to try and present a balanced description of circumstances. I am human and occassionally lapsed somewhat...but I tried. Can you, honestly and with truth in your heart look into the souls of all of us from Anthem and claim you are doing the same?

Edited by KarinaGW
Ship lag.

You`re right-

Lie # 2 from your trusty Cap`t.

"Nothing but cosmetic damage"

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Anthem-of-Seas-Cruise-Ship-Storm-Damage-Coast-Guard-Inspectors-Royal-Caribbean-368534091.html

One of the Azipods was out of commission, all the way back from the hurricane-How many more lies are going to surface in the next 48 hours.

Still wanna sail with captain honest???

How would the passengers who were already upset about the storm have reacted to that news? They probably would have freaked out and started spreading rumors that the ship was going to be dead in the ocean. What difference would it have made if they knew that one azipod was not working?