Help, is the food on Pacific Jewel edible?

Hubby and I just returned from the Pacific Eden food and wine cruise. We loved the ship (bars/decor) but found the food, except Salt, to be pretty bad. We aren't fussy but it was so bland and boring or worse, over cooked and plain foul. I am worried I will have to pay to eat every meal in Salt (which will add up quickly).

I went on Jewel years ago and enjoyed the food. Can someone please put my mind at ease that the food standard has been maintained on this ship?

Hubby and I just returned from the Pacific Eden food and wine cruise. We loved the ship (bars/decor) but found the food, except Salt, to be pretty bad. We aren't fussy but it was so bland and boring or worse, over cooked and plain foul. I am worried I will have to pay to eat every meal in Salt (which will add up quickly).

I went on Jewel years ago and enjoyed the food. Can someone please put my mind at ease that the food standard has been maintained on this ship?

Are we talking about the food in the Waterfront or in the Pantry or both?.

The Jewel does have the Pantry, so the food in there might be the same, but the food in the Waterfront could be different.

Also there will be different chefs and cooks on the Jewel, so the food will be different and hopefully better :).

Pantry was better than MDR but I prefer a sit down experience and don't like hunting for a table. If Jewel disappoints I'll go back to RC. We have a cruise booked on Celebrity Solstice and their food sounds much better (and cruise isn't costing any more due to drinks package). I suppose everyone just has different tastes and hubby and I like lots of flavour.

I got off the Jewel yesterday (12th Feb)

for the last 11 days we ate in both the pantry and the waterfront restaurant, while the pantry can be a little repetitive, you can mix and match your food there, it was always good and hot, and they even had prawns and the staff very friendly ,

in the waterfront we were spoilt for choice each time we ate there, lunch and dinner, always hot and yummy, we were treated to a culinary demonstration by the head chef Alex and the Maitre D Krzysztof ,

during the demo they gave us some very interesting facts about the amount of food consumed during the cruise, but I'll mention that in another post, and then we all got invited to look through the galley which was fascinating,

NOW because it was a Melb to Melb cruise ALL the food supplied to the ship was from Victoria , and was top quality, when the ship is berthed in Sydney, who knows were the food comes from.

So yes the food on the Jewel is edible.

for the last 11 days we ate in both the pantry and the waterfront restaurant, while the pantry can be a little repetitive, you can mix and match your food there, it was always good and hot, and they even had prawns and the staff very friendly ,

in the waterfront we were spoilt for choice each time we ate there, lunch and dinner, always hot and yummy, we were treated to a culinary demonstration by the head chef Alex and the Maitre D Krzysztof ,

during the demo they gave us some very interesting facts about the amount of food consumed during the cruise, but I'll mention that in another post, and then we all got invited to look through the galley which was fascinating,

NOW because it was a Melb to Melb cruise ALL the food supplied to the ship was from Victoria , and was top quality, when the ship is berthed in Sydney, who knows were the food comes from.

Why would you think that sailing from Melb the food would all be from Victoria but sailing from Sydney "who knows where the food comes from"?

Edited by GUT2407

We were told by the head chef Alex and the Maitre D Krzysztof ,that all the food for the cruise was only supplied by Victorian company's and they told us that they thought the food was top quality, were they get supplied from when berthed in Sydney who knows they did not tell us that information, but they were both impressed with what they got from Vic, thats all I can tell you. From the way they both said it, other suppliers are not so good.

Edited by 6666oz

Did you mean to say "when the ship is berthed in Sydney they are not sure which State the food comes from".

I'm not sure which State the food is sourced from would make much difference (we are lucky to have great products everywhere in Oz I would think) the problem on Eden was the recipes were odd and/or poorly executed. Hopefully it does come down to the Head Chef, if not, P&O will lose a couple of customers but they probably won't care too much.

By far the majority of recent cruise reviews on CC rate the food highly, as has been mentioned on previous threads food is very subjective and some people's expectations are very high. I am sure that if the food was considered inedible the local media would be all over it as they cover any outbreak of Noro in the most sensational manner.they would not miss the opportunity for another negative story. If the food was that bad passengers would be straight to the Media, I have cruised on Pacific Jewel and Pacific Pearl and found the food on both very very good.

I was considering a sampler cruise on the Eden but I'm having second thoughts now.

I've booked a sampler on Eden for March and will be sure to come back with a review.

What I'm reading, it's very hit and miss. While I do like fine food, I am going into this cruise understanding that it is a 3 star cruise liner. As long as the food is edible and tastes nice, I'll be happy.

I'm not expecting the food standard of RCI and Celebrity, but that it's okay because this mini cruise per day price was a lot less than the per day price on the other cruise lines.

It does depend too on the writer of the feedback, some will see the negative only.

Edited by LuckiePuris

• 2 weeks later...

I just got offJewel. I'm not overly fussy but I found the food very bland. The Pantry had nice Indian and Asian food and the roasts with veges were nice. The bread rolls were also very fresh. The salads were disappointing, as were the deserts.

The Waterfront was disappointing both in food quality and service. A couple of things were nice but not high quality that I've experienced in the past.

I'd rather pay more and go on a better cruise line. I won't travel P&O again unless it's dirt cheap. It's not just the food and service (but these are the most important things for me). There's also the facilities, more dining options, more things included in the price on other lines also.

I don't like having to eat at certain times. Once the restaurant and Pantry close after lunch the only option is to pay for Pizza (free and testily available at all hours on other cruise lines.