Any Anthem info would be appreciated!

robertam

My wife and I sailed Explorer of the Seas twice in the past 5 years and were very happy with my time dining and it looks like things have changed quite a bit on this new ship.

Can anyone give us some advice regarding whether we made a good choice of Dynamic Dining Choice and if there's anything we need to do at this point?

Also, we enjoy beach time wherever we go. Anyone have recommendations for each port, whether it be ship tours, private tours, taxi or walk to beaches?

Can you bring a case of water on board like you used to?

Tips for seeing the shows or other onboard activities?

Anything else you can think of would be helpful, and greatly appreciated!

With Dynamic Dining Choice, you have the flexibility to eat dinner at any of 4 (or 5?) different "free" restaurants and any time. You can make advance reservations, or just show up each evening, or any combination, your choice.

We sailed over New Years to the Bahamas. The dining was the only moderate disappointment of the cruise. The service was much less personal than our past experiences. My advice is to book everything as far in advance as possible, including the shows and onboard activities. This is coming from someone who is usually more spur of the moment! Silk and American Icon were disappointing (food quality). Jamie's and Michaels Pub was ok and Chops and Wonderland were outstanding. The Windjammer was quite good as long as you timed it to miss the crowds. I like to chalk some of this up to the newness of the ship and the dynamic concept and that it will improve with time. We had friends with us that are similar to us and they seemed to have better luck at Silk and American Icon than we did, so maybe we just had some bad luck. They also enjoyed the Grand which we never tried.

Pirate Republic Brewing in Nassau was very good if you like beer. Kennedy Space Center was great and the Snorkeling at Coco Cay was decent. On Coco Cay, go early if you want a beach chair in the main area. Next time we'll skip the crowds and follow the nature trail to some nice de empty beaches.

All-in-all it was a wonderful ship and we look forward to returning in August for Bermuda. Have a great cruise!

We have done the 9 day Explorer of the Seas a couple of times, last March we did Quantum of the Seas and now we have Anthem of the Seas booked for May.

With Anthem of the Seas you have the option to pre-plan. Since we were a group of five, I made reservations in one of the 5 free dinning venues for every night. Some nights we ate as planned other nights we cancelled and did something else. Most nights I chose between 6:00 and 6:30 PM to eat dinner. Although this is earlier than we normally eat, it allowed us plenty of time for any evening entertainment that was scheduled.

It's best to do reservations for any entertainment ahead of time. There is usually a long line to get in and the staff will allow those with reservations in first, they will scan your sea pass card. If you don't have reservations there is a stand-by line and those guest will be allowed in about 15 minutes prior to show time. Reservation are for a spot in the venue not a particular seat (except for suite guest).

We adapted to the way things are done on Quantum and had a great time. We are looking forward to sailing on the Anthem in a couple of months.

BTW, not that it matters, we are all seasoned cruisers that learned to go with the flow.

You watch ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN?

Yes, ANTHEM has many Threads - search and you will find.

Quantum Class *is* different. The ships are Huge - must meet certain physical requirements in order to participate in attractions. Bumper Cars are fun for All Ages. 3D movies are fun for All ages.

Lots of options. Cabins exceed expectations. Crew: Excellent. Dining: you'll try it all to decide for yourself. Best Solarium Area afloat! Lots of FUN things to discover 9n your own.

Bon Voyage.

My wife and I sailed Explorer of the Seas twice in the past 5 years and were very happy with my time dining and it looks like things have changed quite a bit on this new ship.

Can anyone give us some advice regarding whether we made a good choice of Dynamic Dining Choice and if there's anything we need to do at this point?

Also, we enjoy beach time wherever we go. Anyone have recommendations for each port, whether it be ship tours, private tours, taxi or walk to beaches?

Can you bring a case of water on board like you used to?

Tips for seeing the shows or other onboard activities?

I miss the explorer too. Here IMO since i was on jan3 cruise

Since i like the classic dining, i stick to that. It at 530 for me and you rotate in four different restaurant. All smart casual except for grande which is formal. No tie necessary, just sport jacket. Make reservation for show on line as soon you can. Also for ifly and north star. Just be patience with the last two, it will pop up. In Ifly you may want to separate each other if you plan to take pic or video each other. No loose article allow inside. North Star make a reservation and keep it. You can go on north star more then once but as stand by. I would book a cabin by the aft area because i found it closer to everything you need to go. bumper cars go at least twenty minutes prior to start time since line form pretty quickly and long. Go on much as you want. Jamie is good italian specialty restaurant. Izumi as well if you like sushi. i heard wonderland is good but i can't give you my opinion on that since i never made it there. water is still allowed on the ship. if you want to bring soda , it need to be in your carry on. 2 bottles of Wine up to 750 ml is allow and must be in your carryon. Depending on port to the beach is in question because you didn't tell us which one. Here are the one i did. Barbados there a taxi outside the terminal and it like ten dollars to stay on Caribbean side I like blue mountain beach. It 50 dollars to go to atlantic side of the island. Labadee i know you know it right off the ship. St Kitts, i went to cockshell beach. i wouldn't recommend this beach because it was to small and they pack it in. research on the island. Martinique i did the cab tour because the weather was on and off. There is a ferry to take you to the beach but i forgot how much it is and we didn't like the sound of their schedule too. Enjoy your cruise.

We sailed over New Years to the Bahamas. The dining was the only moderate disappointment of the cruise. The service was much less personal than our past experiences. My advice is to book everything as far in advance as possible, including the shows and onboard activities. This is coming from someone who is usually more spur of the moment! Silk and American Icon were disappointing (food quality). Jamie's and Michaels Pub was ok and Chops and Wonderland were outstanding. The Windjammer was quite good as long as you timed it to miss the crowds. I like to chalk some of this up to the newness of the ship and the dynamic concept and that it will improve with time. We had friends with us that are similar to us and they seemed to have better luck at Silk and American Icon than we did, so maybe we just had some bad luck. They also enjoyed the Grand which we never tried.

Pirate Republic Brewing in Nassau was very good if you like beer. Kennedy Space Center was great and the Snorkeling at Coco Cay was decent. On Coco Cay, go early if you want a beach chair in the main area. Next time we'll skip the crowds and follow the nature trail to some nice de empty beaches.

All-in-all it was a wonderful ship and we look forward to returning in August for Bermuda. Have a great cruise!

Thanks!

What ports are you going to?

In the past we have brought water on board, this time I am just purchasing their Evian package.

I am done with packing water.

Thanks to everyone that replied. We're on the Western Caribbean sailing on March 7th to March 19th (my 55th birthday!). Looking for beaches to go to at each port.

Can you wear the clothes you wore on ship in the Grande the first night or do you have to wait until your luggage arrives and wear formal?

I miss the explorer too. Here IMO since i was on jan3 cruise

Since i like the classic dining, i stick to that. It at 530 for me and you rotate in four different restaurant. All smart casual except for grande which is formal. No tie necessary, just sport jacket. Make reservation for show on line as soon you can. Also for ifly and north star. Just be patience with the last two, it will pop up. In Ifly you may want to separate each other if you plan to take pic or video each other. No loose article allow inside. North Star make a reservation and keep it. You can go on north star more then once but as stand by. I would book a cabin by the aft area because i found it closer to everything you need to go. bumper cars go at least twenty minutes prior to start time since line form pretty quickly and long. Go on much as you want. Jamie is good italian specialty restaurant. Izumi as well if you like sushi. i heard wonderland is good but i can't give you my opinion on that since i never made it there. water is still allowed on the ship. if you want to bring soda , it need to be in your carry on. 2 bottles of Wine up to 750 ml is allow and must be in your carryon. Depending on port to the beach is in question because you didn't tell us which one. Here are the one i did. Barbados there a taxi outside the terminal and it like ten dollars to stay on Caribbean side I like blue mountain beach. It 50 dollars to go to atlantic side of the island. Labadee i know you know it right off the ship. St Kitts, i went to cockshell beach. i wouldn't recommend this beach because it was to small and they pack it in. research on the island. Martinique i did the cab tour because the weather was on and off. There is a ferry to take you to the beach but i forgot how much it is and we didn't like the sound of their schedule too. Enjoy your cruise.

When you say water is allowed is that a bottle in your carry on or a case checked in like in the past?

Guest maddycat
Thanks to everyone that replied. We're on the Western Caribbean sailing on March 7th to March 19th (my 55th birthday!). Looking for beaches to go to at each port.

Can you wear the clothes you wore on ship in the Grande the first night or do you have to wait until your luggage arrives and wear formal?

The first night is casual in the Grande. You can wear whatever you wear boarding the ship.

My detailed review of Anthem (with photos and tips) is at this thread, separated by subject matter. I hope you and others find it useful. We really enjoyed Anthem!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277588&highlight=turtles06

We booked a balcony guarantee and got deck 6 in the very front of the ship. Hoping to get it changed upon boarding but not counting on it. We'll make due regardless.

Do NOT count on changing your room on board -- they are likely sold out.

Try to get your travel agent to see if there are any available cabins in your same category NOW (or look it up yourself online). With a guarantee, you can change your room within the same category for North American bookings, but it is best done as far in advance as possible!

We booked a balcony guarantee and got deck 6 in the very front of the ship. Hoping to get it changed upon boarding but not counting on it. We'll make due regardless.

Very unlikely to get it changed upon boarding. Try to change before the cruise.