Have you ever had anything go missing on a cruise?

Squirly

On Princess there are open shelves on which they are placed, so I suspect that our cabin person also 'collects'.

Really? You are blaming your cabin steward? See more below..

...but glancing into some cabins with open doors as we walk down the hallways...

This exactly. The cabin stewards prop the doors open when they are cleaning or servicing the cabins. Several can be propped open at a time, and if s/he isn't directly available at that time, anyone has access to the room. It takes but a few seconds to steal something. It really bothers me when people think the staff steals - I mean, I'm sure it happens, but they shouldn't be the "go-to" assumption. :(

My husband had his cell phone stolen out of our room on the Dream a few years ago (in a hurry, he left it on a shelf covered by a shirt). Never had anything else go missing, but now it all goes in the safe when we leave.

On that same cruise, a couple down the hall were hollering about a large amount of money taken from their room safe. Not sure how that ended up...

I left the ship and absentmindedly left my Iphone on the bed and didn't check before we left. Got out of the terminal and realized it. Begged them to radio to the cabin stewards to look for it with no luck. Called my carrier to suspend service and contacted Carnival by phone and email. This was a Sunday, I was sick to my stomach that I had done that and had no insurance on the thing. I immediately logged into find my phone app on my Ipad, but because my phone had a low battery it died. I found myself obsessing about the phone! Crazy I know! On Tuesday, the app showed my phone power on!!! Instead of it being my name attached to it, it had someone else's name! Here's where social media is great, I did a search on Facebook and found that person's page and in the profile, that person worked for Carnival! I called Carnival right away and gave them the name, but the ship was out to sea so I would have to wait. When they docked, I called them back, gave them my imei # and sure enough, one of their employees had taken my phone and tried to make it their own. I was angry, but all I wanted was my phone back. They had to send it through customs first then had it back to me within a couple of days. I did take it to my carrier and asked them to check it out and it was fine. I love Carnival and will continue because that one bad apple can't spoil the whole bunch for me!

Really? You are blaming your cabin steward? See more below..

This exactly. The cabin stewards prop the doors open when they are cleaning or servicing the cabins. Several can be propped open at a time, and if s/he isn't directly available at that time, anyone has access to the room. It takes but a few seconds to steal something. It really bothers me when people think the staff steals - I mean, I'm sure it happens, but they shouldn't be the "go-to" assumption. :(

IF someone had come in to steal, I am d----- sure that they could, and would, have gone for more than one shirt, PLUS the fact that these were a long way from the door. far too risky to go that distance.

john

I left the ship and absentmindedly left my Iphone on the bed and didn't check before we left. Got out of the terminal and realized it. Begged them to radio to the cabin stewards to look for it with no luck. Called my carrier to suspend service and contacted Carnival by phone and email. This was a Sunday, I was sick to my stomach that I had done that and had no insurance on the thing. I immediately logged into find my phone app on my Ipad, but because my phone had a low battery it died. I found myself obsessing about the phone! Crazy I know! On Tuesday, the app showed my phone power on!!! Instead of it being my name attached to it, it had someone else's name! Here's where social media is great, I did a search on Facebook and found that person's page and in the profile, that person worked for Carnival! I called Carnival right away and gave them the name, but the ship was out to sea so I would have to wait. When they docked, I called them back, gave them my imei # and sure enough, one of their employees had taken my phone and tried to make it their own. I was angry, but all I wanted was my phone back. They had to send it through customs first then had it back to me within a couple of days. I did take it to my carrier and asked them to check it out and it was fine. I love Carnival and will continue because that one bad apple can't spoil the whole bunch for me!

This is an experience worth sharing and I appreciate your doing so here.

I commend CC for following through when you gave them adequate identity information. Speaks highly for the service rep with whom you worked at CC.

Good job!

On my Panama Canal cruise, a couple loaned me their laptop power cord. I left mine at home when I packed - I remembered my laptop but not the power cord. Anyway I took a bottle of wine I brought to drink on board, to their cabin as a thank you gift. They weren't there but the cabin Stewart was in and out several cabins at the same time, with all the doors open.

I explained to him that I wanted to drop off a bottle of wine for the folks in cabin 1234, and he told me to go ahead. I went in and left the bottle on their desk and left. The cabin attendant was no where around, and all the doors to the cabin were still open.

I guess it's not inconsievable (sp) that someone could go into an unattended cabin and make off with things left out in the desk - like I'm guilty of doing.

Edited by Treven

Lots of cruises but the only one I have had anything come up missing was on my first and last RCCL cruise. I ordered wine for lunch and didn't drink it all. We also had brought a bottle of sparking apple juice for my son. Well, that night at dinner I ask for our wine bottles to be brought. So sorry. There is no wine for you. You must have drank it all and not remembered. Umm, I'm pretty sure that if I had downed an entire bottle of wine at lunch I would have remembered. What about my son's. No, you are mistaken about that too. These are the same guys that pressured me to give them a good review. Ya, right.

Next is our cabin steward. I had put tip money in an envelope (back in the day) and given one to both the waiter and assistant. The one for the cabin steward was in an envelope stuffed in the middle of my paperback book on the desk in the cabin. When I came back I looked for it to give to him. It was gone. Frankly, until I had him that envelope the money is not his. As far as I'm concerned he stole it. It was mine until I offered it to him. He had to go through my things to find that envelope. Totally unacceptable.

These were the icing on the cake for me for. Ripped off twice. The other things that went wrong I could have lived with. Stealing from me. Not so much.

We have never had anything go missing. We keep our stuff put away and the cabin neat.

I also have happened to notice some cabins as we are walking to or from our cabin that look like a windstorm hit them. In those it would be very easy for something to inadvertently end up at the laundry or in the trash.

I had a bottle of pain meds go missing, but I think I knocked it off the nightstand when I was packing and maybe they rolled out of sight. I had them that last morning before debarkation, but when we got to our hotel room, they were gone. Surely my own carelessness. I ended up having to cut our exploration of Seattle short though due to back pain :(

I had a Pandora bracelet stolen by either a crew member or a guest in the room after we left. I forgot the jewelry box with my bracelet and a couple other pieces of jewelry in it in a drawer (totally my fault!). I filed the claim with Carnival and a few weeks later got the call that they had found it and would be shipping it to me. At that time I asked them to check the box for the Pandora bracelet and was told it was in there. When I received the box in the mail I had a jewelry box with all my other jewelry, but no Pandora bracelet. It is possible the person in the office saw jewelry and went "yup, it's there" when it wasn't and someone had already snagged it, or it's possible they pocketed it themselves. I called Carnival after that and told them what happened and was told it "wasn't possible".

Thankfully I had travel insurance. I filed a claim after I got the empty box and was able to replace the entire bracelet.

My daughter had one sandal stolen while one Lido deck......one sandal! Who takes just one sandal. And it wasn't on a chair as a chair hog does. She was sunbathing, and after a quick nap, woke up to get ready to leave and couldn't find one of her sandals. Unbelievable.

A CHOG (chair hog) probably snatched it to use as a marker to save a lounge chair and did not want to risk their own property.

Bob

I have never had anything come up missing on all my cruises either. I am pretty careful about putting valuables in the safe...but there are times when I have forgotten to put jewelry or something in there, and it has never been touched. There was one time on Princess where I had been diligent (I thought) to put everything...cash, jewelry, ipad, passports, and credit cards in the safe before we left the ship for a port day...but forgot to lock the safe! That's what I get for being in a hurry!! But when we returned hours later, our cabin had been cleaned and nothing in the open safe had been touched! :)

I once found a beautiful diamond ring on deck and I took it to Guest Relations. I was concerned that they refused to give me a receipt or even take my cabin number. They said it would be put in lost property and basically it was nothing to do with me. The next day we were back on deck in the same place when I saw someone looking carefully around the deck and I realised he was looking for the ring. I asked him what he was looking for and he described the ring in detail. I told him that I had found it and had taken it to GR. He and his wife were able to retrieve her ring and were delighted. I often wonder if they would ever had got it back if I had not bumped into them on deck. They said they had been to GR a couple of times and been told that it had not been handed in.

If my cabinmate and I weren't honest, a guy on one of our cruises would have thought that the laundry stole his suit. I don't know who is responsible for delivering cleaned clothing, the cabin steward or someone in the laundry department, but my cabinmate and I (both female) found a suit in our cabin. Our cabin steward knew that both of us were women, so I don't know if he decided to give us the suit anyway or if it was someone from the laundry department who decided to give us the suit. The cabin number on the slip of paper wasn't even our cabin number. We took the suit to the cabin whose number was written on the suit. If, for some reason, we had decided to keep the suit for ourselves, the suit's owner might have thought that it was stolen by the laundry.

I explained to him that I wanted to drop off a bottle of wine for the folks in cabin 1234, and he told me to go ahead. I went in and left the bottle on their desk and left. The cabin attendant was no where around, and all the doors to the cabin were still open.

I think it's bad enough that the cabin stewards think it's okay to leave the cabin doors wide open for anyone to enter, but the idea that they would allow a stranger to enter someone's cabin if they said, "Hey, I want to leave them something" just boggles my mind. NOT that I am accusing Traven of doing something wrong. It's the cabin steward that I believe did something wrong.

I once found a beautiful diamond ring on deck and I took it to Guest Relations. I was concerned that they refused to give me a receipt or even take my cabin number. They said it would be put in lost property and basically it was nothing to do with me. The next day we were back on deck in the same place when I saw someone looking carefully around the deck and I realised he was looking for the ring. I asked him what he was looking for and he described the ring in detail. I told him that I had found it and had taken it to GR. He and his wife were able to retrieve her ring and were delighted. I often wonder if they would ever had got it back if I had not bumped into them on deck. They said they had been to GR a couple of times and been told that it had not been handed in.

So now it appears that the people at GR are either crooks or extremely inefficient.

I think it's bad enough that the cabin stewards think it's okay to leave the cabin doors wide open for anyone to enter, but the idea that they would allow a stranger to enter someone's cabin if they said, "Hey, I want to leave them something" just boggles my mind. NOT that I am accusing Traven of doing something wrong. It's the cabin steward that I believe did something wrong.

I had left a note with the bottle of wine, so the people in the cabin knew who the wine was from. I talked to them later about whether they liked the wine (or not) - fortunately they did. I don't remember if anything was said about my being able to go in their cabin. I told the cabin steward what I was doing; I certainly didn't want the steward to come back to the cabins and discover a stranger in one of the cabins.

Edited by Treven

On our first cruise we had a bottle of rum from Cozumel that was in a collector's bottle. It was for a friend who was taking care of our two cockatiels and that is all she wanted for the pet sitting. We did turn it when we got on the ship, they showed us our signature in the log book that we signed when turning over the bottle but never could find out which cabin had received it by mistake. That $40 bottle of rum cost us another $20 because we had to buy a replacement bottle of rum on the ship. But in 17 cruises we consider ourselves lucky that is all that went missing.

Its all part of life. You take the small disappointments with the good luck.

Treven (I'm sorry I misspelled your name before), I'm getting the impression that you think that I think that you did something wrong. No, I don't. I just don't like the situation in which a cabin steward intentionally leaves the doors to several cabins open so that people can wander in and out of them, as you implied, since you said that you didn't want the cabin steward to come back and find you there. I really don't know why they (the cabin stewards) do that. I mean, if someone walked into an open cabin and told the cabin steward that he wanted to leave something there (whether or not he had a note to leave) and he then stole something, the cabin steward would be the one who came under suspicion. And if he defended himself by saying that he left the cabin door open for a while and ANYONE could have entered the cabin, I don't think that would go over very well.

On our first cruise we had a bottle of rum from Cozumel that was in a collector's bottle. It was for a friend who was taking care of our two cockatiels and that is all she wanted for the pet sitting. We did turn it when we got on the ship, they showed us our signature in the log book that we signed when turning over the bottle but never could find out which cabin had received it by mistake. That $40 bottle of rum cost us another $20 because we had to buy a replacement bottle of rum on the ship. But in 17 cruises we consider ourselves lucky that is all that went missing.

Its all part of life. You take the small disappointments with the good luck.

If someone broke into your home and stole forty dollars or a forty dollar-item, would you be upset, or would you just say that it was a small disappointment?

Treven (I'm sorry I misspelled your name before), I'm getting the impression that you think that I think that you did something wrong. No, I don't. I just don't like the situation in which a cabin steward intentionally leaves the doors to several cabins open so that people can wander in and out of them, as you implied, since you said that you didn't want the cabin steward to come back and find you there. I really don't know why they (the cabin stewards) do that. I mean, if someone walked into an open cabin and told the cabin steward that he wanted to leave something there (whether or not he had a note to leave) and he then stole something, the cabin steward would be the one who came under suspicion. And if he defended himself by saying that he left the cabin door open for a while and ANYONE could have entered the cabin, I don't think that would go over very well.

If someone broke into your home and stole forty dollars or a forty dollar-item, would you be upset, or would you just say that it was a small disappointment?

The fact that my name was misspelled didn't bother me one bit; it certainly wasn't the first time and I assure you, you won't be the last.

I agree with you that if I, or anyone for that matter, stole something from one of the open cabins, the cabin attendant's derrière would have had teeth marks all over it!

For a bit of clarification, had I approached cabin 1234 and the door was open with evidence that the cabin attendant was cleaning the cabin(s), but the steward wasn't around, I definately would not have gone in. I would have tried to deliver my thank you gift another time. My mamma didn't raise no fools!!

Edited by Treven

If my cabinmate and I weren't honest, a guy on one of our cruises would have thought that the laundry stole his suit. I don't know who is responsible for delivering cleaned clothing, the cabin steward or someone in the laundry department, but my cabinmate and I (both female) found a suit in our cabin. Our cabin steward knew that both of us were women, so I don't know if he decided to give us the suit anyway or if it was someone from the laundry department who decided to give us the suit. The cabin number on the slip of paper wasn't even our cabin number. We took the suit to the cabin whose number was written on the suit. If, for some reason, we had decided to keep the suit for ourselves, the suit's owner might have thought that it was stolen by the laundry.

So now it appears that the people at GR are either crooks or extremely inefficient.

I most certainly did not mean to imply that the GR staff were crooks, just disinterested. Obviously when the owner of the ring asked about it, they couldn't be bothered to check for it.

We had some Rum Runners taken from on top of the desk and a oj that we were saving to mix with our drinks from the fridge go missing. Not a big deal but it was annoying.

On another cruise we found a pair of mens shoes under the bed, so that steward apparently doesn't check under the bed.

There is a difference in missing, oops I might have dropped it to outward theft. In my case there is not a doubt in my mind that some one in the background took my wine. There is no doubt that my room steward went through my things to look for money. Both are unacceptable.

I can see misplacing something. I can see forgetting something. But when your trusted steward comes into your cabin, has to dig through your stuff looking for money, then that is stealing. I was so done with RCCL at that time, I just wrote it up to a "never going to happen again" syndrome.

The best part of the this whole cruise: they kept pressuring me to tell the cruise line how wonderful they were. Seriously? You steal from me then want a great review? To top it off, he was the worst room steward ever. He never took our old dishes out when he made the room. So, we come back, the room is made up and there in the middle are our lunch dishes. Out of 25 plus cruises this guy was seriously the worst.