The New Princess Luxury Bed

DeRon

Does someone have a picture of the new bed linen? I hope the new beds are comfy. I had to ask for a pillow top.

Thank You

Just off the Ruby, and honestly, don't know if the beds were new or not. I meant to investigate, but never got around to it. They were firm, but not too hard. Not bad.

However, the linens were awful. If these are the new sheets, they are in trouble. For the first few nights, I just could not get comfortable. I tend to move around and the bed felt like sandpaper. Finally looked closely and the bottom sheet was pilled. I had a set of sheets that did that after a few washings and I took them back to the store After seeing that, it was like the princess and the pea. My DH thought I was nuts and changed sides with me. It was so far into the cruise, I did not want to make the cabin steward change the bedding and the pilling was only on one side. I sure hope these are not the new linens or there is going to be a lot of unhappy people as the sheets age.

As a side note, you can ask for a top sheet if the comforter is too heavy for you. I saw them bringing some type of bedding into cabins while we were docked one day. Don't know if it was the toppers for the mattresses or comforters Did not get a close look.

According to the schedule provided by an earlier poster, I'll be 5 months too early for the new bedding on the Golden Princess. It looks VERY comfortable, hope the schedule is sped up so the Suites have the new bedding. That would be a marvellous surprise.

Have noted to pull the bottom sheet out and check the mattress, armed with my camera to accurate record the details.

Just off the Coral this morning and D631 had the new bed. It's a 9" single sided mattress with an added topper, if you have them put together as a queen bed. If you go with two separate twins, then there is no topper unless you request an egg crate, according to Ryan, our cabin steward.

Oh, I hope your cabin steward is wrong! It doesn't seem right that only those sailing with a spouse and sharing a bed should be allowed the extra comfort of an added topper. I've had SO many uncomfortable beds on Princess, even with double or triple (folded) egg crates. Some of them used cafeteria trays or folded beach towels under the mattress in an attempt to compensate for the ratty mattresses. :(

I too saw PartyBarbie's comment - we are on Grand in May so I was hopeful, but suspect hers was a Suite and so they might be early in the schedule. Neighbors just got off the Grand mid Feb so I will ask them.

It is probable that the published schedule shows completion dates, so some cabins could be early.

We were told by a Hotel Manager onboard that the process of changing the mattresses on each ship will take time to implement. There is not enough time in a dry or wet dock to do an entire ship at one time. That explains the comments that some passengers on the same ship had the new mattresses and others did not.

It could take up to 6 months for a particular ship to change out all the mattresses. They are being changed in dry/wet docks and while at sea.

Just off the Coral this morning and D631 had the new bed. It's a 9" single sided mattress with an added topper, if you have them put together as a queen bed. If you go with two separate twins, then there is no topper unless you request an egg crate, according to Ryan, our cabin steward.

Oh, I hope your cabin steward is wrong! It doesn't seem right that only those sailing with a spouse and sharing a bed should be allowed the extra comfort of an added topper. I've had SO many uncomfortable beds on Princess, even with double or triple (folded) egg crates. Some of them used cafeteria trays or folded beach towels under the mattress in an attempt to compensate for the ratty mattresses. :(

Based on the posts I've read, the new mattresses are very comfortable twin size mattresses which do not need a topper which is only used for a queen size configuration. Previously when they put 2 twins together they had a poorly designed topper to create a queen configuration.

Just off the Ruby, and honestly, don't know if the beds were new or not. I meant to investigate, but never got around to it. They were firm, but not too hard. Not bad.

However, the linens were awful. If these are the new sheets, they are in trouble. For the first few nights, I just could not get comfortable. I tend to move around and the bed felt like sandpaper. Finally looked closely and the bottom sheet was pilled. I had a set of sheets that did that after a few washings and I took them back to the store After seeing that, it was like the princess and the pea. My DH thought I was nuts and changed sides with me. It was so far into the cruise, I did not want to make the cabin steward change the bedding and the pilling was only on one side. I sure hope these are not the new linens or there is going to be a lot of unhappy people as the sheets age.

As a side note, you can ask for a top sheet if the comforter is too heavy for you. I saw them bringing some type of bedding into cabins while we were docked one day. Don't know if it was the toppers for the mattresses or comforters Did not get a close look.

If the bed was firm, I'm guessing it was the old bedding. Ours was soft without lacking in support, if that makes any sense. And no need to ask for a top sheet this time, as the duvet was sandwiched in between two sheets. And it's a much lighter one:D. I'm going to assume that it was synthetic down just because enough people are allergic that making it real feathers might lead to supply issues for those who need to swap them out.

Based on the posts I've read, the new mattresses are very comfortable twin size mattresses which do not need a topper which is only used for a queen size configuration. Previously when they put 2 twins together they had a poorly designed topper to create a queen configuration.

Ah--okay. That makes sense. Thanks!

I spent a little time sitting/laying on the twin mattresses when I had the topper rolled back and they were comfortable. I could have easily slept on it with out the added queen topper, but I could throw a blanket on the floor and be content as like a firm bed.

I spent a little time sitting/laying on the twin mattresses when I had the topper rolled back and they were comfortable. I could have easily slept on it with out the added queen topper, but I could throw a blanket on the floor and be content as like a firm bed.

Thanks but I haven't been able to sleep on the floor since my youth sleeping on the cold hard steel deck of a Navy ship to catch a nap wherever & whenever possible during those long days at sea! ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

A couple of pictures of them for reference. We found them to be firm & comfortable:

25027467456_7690668102_z.jpgP1040687 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

I've never had a bad bed on Princess (yet!) but I will still look forward to trying these out one of these days.

Rather sad that they couldn't get the label sewn on straight... :rolleyes:

Hope I don't jinx my upcoming cruise on the Star, but we have had very comfortable beds on the Golden, Grand, Star, Emerald and Pacific Princess the last couple of years. The pillows are another matter. They are either too flat or too high and firm for me.

We've done 19 cruises with Princess and my only real complaint has been the beds....even with 2 egg crates I find them to be very uncomfortable...I have had back problems for years so this just exacerbates my problem...We are doing 23 days on the Diamond later this year in December and unfortunately in all the lists of ships being fitted with new mattresses I have not seen her name come up once....I wonder why, I know that there must be a need for new mattresses and bed linens on the Diamond too.

Sissy

I really hope that schedule changes so that new beds are on the Star for our Alaska cruise next year. I almost didn't book with Princess because I heard the beds were so bad, and my mom has back issues, but I was told new beds were coming. :(

I could switch to the Coral, but the dates are wrong for when we need to travel. Darn! I thought I had this figured out and it was just a matter of waiting. BOO!:(

Don't worry. We were on the Star for 31 days--the bed was wonderful. We overslept like babies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Happy to report that the complete beds- mattresses, pillows and gorgeous sheets- are now on the Emerald Princess. I took a photo of a bed in an empty cabin today, and will post it tonight on my blog (because it's too hard to post it here from my iPhone...maybe someone else can link to it tomorrow). The pillows are too fluffy but may calm down over time. The sheets look comfy. Our steward is changing ours tomorrow. There are no longer decorative pillows and throws, another plus. Just clean white and contemporary.

Here is J's link:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.ca/2016/02/day-130-fort-lauderdale-turnaround-day.html?m=0

She talks about sleeping in the new bedding over the next couple days 131 & 132 in her blog.

We were told by a Hotel Manager onboard that the process of changing the mattresses on each ship will take time to implement. There is not enough time in a dry or wet dock to do an entire ship at one time. That explains the comments that some passengers on the same ship had the new mattresses and others did not.

It could take up to 6 months for a particular ship to change out all the mattresses. They are being changed in dry/wet docks and while at sea.

Great info!! Thanks!! :)

I didn't see the Diamond on that list. Did I miss it!

We are sailing her on 3/30 so I'm thinking she won't be outfitted by then.

Where's the list? (Never mind - found it.) HOPING they don't change Caribbean Princess until after September. (Woo hoo, March 2017!) In 18 Princess cruises, I've only had one time that the mattress was any problem. Due to an old back injury, I NEED a firm mattress and the info on the new ones is S-O-F-T. (The OLD mattress was great on Royal Princess this month.)

So.... we're good for Caribbean Princess later this year, which is, right now, the only Princess cruise we have booked. Will have to be careful in the future, but I'm sure the overall experience will still be worth it. I don't book cruises to spend an excessive time sleeping!

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

On the site:

*The Princess Luxury Bed will debut on board Ruby Princess, Emerald Princess and Coral Princess in February 2016, followed by Sun Princess (Apr 2016), Grand Princess (Dec 2016), Caribbean Princess (Mar 2017), Golden Princess (Apr 2017), Pacific Princess (May 2017), Sea Princess and Star Princess (Nov 2017), Royal Princess (Feb 2018), Sapphire Princess (Mar 2018), Regal Princess (Apr 2018), Crown Princess (Apr 2018) and Island Princess (Apr 2018). Please note this schedule is subject to change.