For Canadians: Are you booking in USD or CDN

ireashmott

We normally have booked our trips in CDN. However, with the dollar being what it is, I am thinking of booking our next cruise in USD, in the hopes that when the bill comes due the dollar will be better.

Thoughts?

It's a crapshoot. I booked my next two (Jan. and Apr. 2017) in Cdn because our dollar won't be going up any time soon. However the Ncl exchange rate is almost at par, not that favorable. But at least I know what I am paying. I usually book in US. Too afraid of final bill. I cancelled a Holland America cruise because final payment would have been $1500 more. There are a couple of threads farther down that already cover this issue.

Although I am from New Zealand I have always paid in CAD as we visit there twice a year (family in Burnaby). I will continue to do so as I buy CAD here in NZ when it reaches a certain exchange rate against the NZD.

As has been said I know what I have to pay in CAD from the outset and won't get caught having to buy USD at the last moment.

If the CAD improves greatly against the USD it is possible to cancel & rebook.

Mike

Cdn for us too. It's the dollar isn't going anywhere fast, so I'll take what I can guarantee rather than a cr@p shoot. Plus I liked the option of paying my on board account in cdn, avoiding the credit card conversion fees. I doubt I'd be given this option if I booked in usd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus I liked the option of paying my on board account in cdn' date=' avoiding the credit card conversion fees. I doubt I'd be given this option if I booked in usd. [/quote']

Take care. Your on board charges will all be in USD. If you give NCL a CAD credit card then NCL will convert the USD charge to CAD at their going rate. That could easily be above the bank rate.

Mike

Take care. Your on board charges will all be in USD. If you give NCL a CAD credit card then NCL will convert the USD charge to CAD at their going rate. That could easily be above the bank rate.

Mike

That's the thing...on our Jan 31/16 Star cruise we were given the option at check in to have our on board charges billed in CDN dollars. First time in 6 NCL cruises I've seen this happen. It appears they have an arrangement with a currency exchange to give a better rate than the credit card companies, as on Feb 7 the rate charged was $1.43. I doubt I'd be given this option if I paid for the cruise in usd. I'm also very interested to know how long this offer remains an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The currency exchange company adds 3 to 5 percent fee. The current bank rate is 1.39 Cdn for each us dollar. The cruise line option to bill in CDN is a scam. Princess has had the option for about 4 years.

Edited by Kamloops50

We normally have booked our trips in CDN. However, with the dollar being what it is, I am thinking of booking our next cruise in USD, in the hopes that when the bill comes due the dollar will be better.

Thoughts?

It depends on where oil goes. If I was booking a cruise for the next 12 months then I'd book in Canadian. The outlook for oil is status quo this year with maybe a rise in prices next year. So if I was booking for summer/fall of 2017 then maybe I might consider USD.

Thoughts?

I normally book in Thai Baht!