Back from the Eclipse

CTBob

Hi, just thought that I should share my thoughts on a recent (1/24 - 2/7) 14 day cruise on the beautiful Celebrity Eclipse. Two years ago we sailed to Bermuda on the Summit in an Aqua class cabin and had such a good time that when friends suggested this cruise we jumped at it. It also helped that it only cost us $150 to upgrade from Concierge class to Aqua class. As there were 10 of us going in order to get cabins together we had to go all the way front and had cabins from 1504 to 1514 with one poor couple in between. They were good sports and we really weren't all that bad. I had read on the Class - S spreadsheet that these cabins could be very noisy due to being underneath the treadmills in the gym. OK, there were some noises, sounded to me like someone dropping the free weights more than being on a treadmill and never loud enough to bother me or wake me up. Anyway here is my experience.

Embarkation: Really the easiest I have ever had. Stayed at a Hilton the night before and they shuttled us over at 11AM. I expected a crowd, but didn't find any. On the ship in under 30 minutes. :)

Cabin: Aqua class as stated, near the relaxation room which was under-utilized all cruise. Could be because those loungers are so hard to get into and out of. Spiral staircase to the Persian Gardens which were always busy and we really didn't take full advantage of, being with a group of 10 somebody always wanted to do something. Being at the front of the ship and doing a lot of walking nobody really gained a lot of weight. Cabin was kept immaculate by our cabin stewards Michael and Jay, thanks guys.

Blu: Really wanted the Aqua class to eat in Blu and it did not disappoint. Even when then menu looked uninspiring our head waiter's (Vinod) suggestions always proved excellent. Vinod was an integral part of our dinners and we looked forward to seeing him every night. Don't overlook the salad entree, these often contained enough meat to be an entree without the salad. The Maitre de Ben is the best I have ever had. He always worked the room and made sure he stopped by every evening to check on our meal. He went out of the way a few times to fill our requests and even brought the Maitre de from the Main dining room to meet us when we said that we might eat there once. Our wine was always kept filled and we had to tell the wine steward when to stop. As Aqua class was my suggestion I'm glad everyone loved the dining experience. Yes, with 10 of us it did take 2 to 2.5 hours for dinner, but we were always done in time for the show.

Entertainment: I really enjoyed the new shows, they were like mini Las Vegas style shows. Topper was weird but was my favorite. The aerial acts were great but I really liked the on board singers and dancers. Michael and Rachel were my favorites probably because I got to know them when they were in charge of the guest choir. Getting 60 of us to sing three Broadway tunes in 4 one hour practices is quite a chore, but they did it. The guest performers were all OK with the exception of Jane Curry who put on the best one person show I have ever seen anywhere. No wonder she is on an exclusive contract with Celebrity. I would book a cruise just to see her again.

Bar Service: Never had trouble getting a drink and really enjoyed Colin at the Oceanview bar, Yuddhi at the Martini bar, Nigel at the Sunset bar and especially Edgar at the World class bar. This was Edgar's last cruise as he was moving to Norway to be with his Polish girlfriend (Don't ask!). Being his last cruise I think he was a little crazier and entertaining than if he wanted another contract. Ice cubes were flying everywhere and he even caught many of them. In two weeks you certainly get a chance to know them better.

The Ship: Very classy and also very comfortable at the same time. Lots of open space to explore, easy to miss parts of the ship as there is so much to experience. I felt comfortable right away and hardly ever turned the wrong way after getting off an elevator. Lots of signage so that helped. Never felt like I wanted to go home and did book another cruise while onboard. BTW I don't smoke and love Celebrity's smoking policy.

Dress Code: OK nobody really understood "Elegant Chic" but from what I saw people were well dressed all nights. Some tuxedos (And they looked great) many suits and sport coats and many nice shirts and even some with ties. I wore a black suit and fit right in. Best of the cruise was Jim and Jill who renewed their vows onboard and Jim, being Scottish, wore a beautiful tartan with kilt. Jill also looked stunning. Must admit I was having too much fun to notice anyone else.

Special: The Hot Glass shows. Didn't expect to be impressed, but I was. And also wasn't expecting the glass blowers to be so entertaining, but they were. Amazing how starting from what looks like the same blob of glass they can create so many interesting things from bowls to penguins (Yes, even a glass penguin sculpture). The two hour show flew by even though the wooden slatted seats weren't very comfortable. Take a towel from your cabin to sit on, it helps. They raffle off a piece at the end and one of my friends won a beautiful pitcher. On the last sea day they auction off six of the pieces they made during the cruise and they raised over $2000 for a scholarship fund. A fish sculpture went for $700. Most of the pieces went for $300 - $400.

Miscellany: Most people on this cruise were very polite and I heard very few complaints except for one person who thought everything was bad. I guess you can't please everyone. Disembarkation was my fastest ever, called at 8AM. off by 8:30 and waiting for our ride. I always get a porter and they always speed your way though customs. I'm trying to think of a complaint to make, but can't. I would highly recommend this cruise.

I'm glad to answer any questions you might have.

ps - I'll be adding photos to my website in a couple of weeks. Too busy to do it right now.

Edited by CTBob

Thanks for the review can you post the head Staff please. Who was CD ??.

Looking forward to being on Eclipse again in few weeks.

The CD was Damien (I can't remember his last name). I thought he was very good.

I was also on that cruise and agree with everything the OP said. I wasn't in Aqua, so ate in the MDR (Select) and found the food to be very good.

I was a little worried about the way a lot of posters hated Topper, but decided to go to see for myself and found it to be one of the best shows I've ever seen on a cruise. I'm not sure why so many have said they didn't like it. In fact, for me the shows (both production and guest) were the highlight of this cruise.

As far as Evening Chic (or whatever it's called) is concerned I also agree there was a mix. There was one gentleman that sat at the table beside the one I was and he wore a tux most evenings. One thing I wanted to mention as it was talked about in one of the many Evening Chic threads regarding the waiters. At least on Eclipse they are not wearing formal uniforms on Evening Chic nights. They wore their usual non formal uniforms the entire 2 weeks. Not that it matters, but I do recall it being discussed.

I did try Tuscan Grill and Murano's for lunch (they had one lunch on the last two sea days - Tuscan Grill on the Friday and Murano's on Saturday). In my opinion the best lunch (and possibly the best meal of the entire cruise) was the lunch at Tuscan Grill.

Thanks for the review can you post the head Staff please. Who was CD ??.

Looking forward to being on Eclipse again in few weeks.

As was already mentioned Damian was the CD but became ill during the cruise and had to leave the ship for medical care. I hope he is OK. Not sure who replaced him.

As was already mentioned Damian was the CD but became ill during the cruise and had to leave the ship for medical care. I hope he is OK. Not sure who replaced him.

When was this as I saw Damian at all the shows in the theatre and the dance parties towards the end of the cruise (Reigning Rocks, 70's party)? Perhaps you are thinking of someone else?

When was this as I saw Damian at all the shows in the theatre and the dance parties towards the end of the cruise (Reigning Rocks, 70's party)? Perhaps you are thinking of someone else?
It was at the very end of the cruise and one of the B2B cruisers reported that someone had taken his place.

OK, I just checked and he left the ship on Feb. 10th and was replaced by Jane. That was reported in the "Live from the Eclipse" thread.

Edited by CTBob

Thanks so much for your review---we board on Sunday---first time in Aqua---can't wait!
If you see Vinod in Blu or Maitre de Ben please tell them that the group of 10 said "Hi" and we miss them. And a special thanks to Vinod's Grandmother. Edited by CTBob

It was at the very end of the cruise and one of the B2B cruisers reported that someone had taken his place.

OK, I just checked and he left the ship on Feb. 10th and was replaced by Jane. That was reported in the "Live from the Eclipse" thread.

Not sure about that, I played against him and the rest of the crew team as part of the guest team in the crew vs guest pool volleyball tournament on the second to last sea day.

Definitely agree on Ben, he was exceptionally and made sure every detail was taken care of. Overall the entire staff in Blu was the best I have experienced.

Not sure about that, I played against him and the rest of the crew team as part of the guest team in the crew vs guest pool volleyball tournament on the second to last sea day.

Yes, I agree. It was not on our cruise that he got sick but in the beginning of the next cruise. I read about it on the Live thread from the cruise following ours. I just got the dates wrong. I knew I read it somewhere...

CTBob and other Eclipse experts, I have a question. We loved the Alcoves on Silhouette and Reflection and I understand they do not exist on Eclipse. Do they have any pay-for lounge or sundeck area?

No nothing like that. Eclipse and earlier ships have the hot glass show where the lawn club grill is and lawn is open at each side to all.

Hi CTBob,

Thanks for your very informative review. Sorry to hear about Cruise Director, Damien. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Glad you enjoyed Vinod's service. We've know him for many years, and he's one of Celebrity's superstars. We just booked Eclipse today for April 3rd, and we hope to see him onboard.

Hi CTBob,

Thanks for your very informative review. Sorry to hear about Cruise Director, Damien. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Glad you enjoyed Vinod's service. We've know him for many years, and he's one of Celebrity's superstars. We just booked Eclipse today for April 3rd, and we hope to see him onboard.

I enjoyed Damien, he was always upbeat and his announcements were very clear. I saw him around the ship a few times and he always took the time to stop and talk. His time must have been in high demand with all of his fellow Canadians onboard. You can always count on a large Canadian contingent in January and February and you can always count on them being a lot of fun.

Yes, I agree. It was not on our cruise that he got sick but in the beginning of the next cruise. I read about it on the Live thread from the cruise following ours. I just got the dates wrong. I knew I read it somewhere...

He got sick towards the end of the jan 24 cruise. He wasnt able to do the daily announcement on the last day at sea. we had an issue that had been referred to him which he dealt with by phone as he couldnt leave his cabin.

Hi CTBob,

Hi Andy, had hoped to meet you on a cruise but we'll be getting off the Eclipse just as you get on. Looking forward to meeting Vinod in Blu though.

And thanks to CTBob for the great review.

If you really want Vinod as your head waiter in Blu be sure to request him the first night. We think that we were assigned to his section as we were a group af ten and he was super organized and efficient while also being a lot of fun. Say "Hi" to Grandma for me. (You'll understand!). Bob

The CD was Damien (I can't remember his last name). I thought he was very good.

I was also on that cruise and agree with everything the OP said. I wasn't in Aqua, so ate in the MDR (Select) and found the food to be very good.

I was a little worried about the way a lot of posters hated Topper, but decided to go to see for myself and found it to be one of the best shows I've ever seen on a cruise. I'm not sure why so many have said they didn't like it. In fact, for me the shows (both production and guest) were the highlight of this cruise.

As far as Evening Chic (or whatever it's called) is concerned I also agree there was a mix. There was one gentleman that sat at the table beside the one I was and he wore a tux most evenings. One thing I wanted to mention as it was talked about in one of the many Evening Chic threads regarding the waiters. At least on Eclipse they are not wearing formal uniforms on Evening Chic nights. They wore their usual non formal uniforms the entire 2 weeks. Not that it matters, but I do recall it being discussed.

I did try Tuscan Grill and Murano's for lunch (they had one lunch on the last two sea days - Tuscan Grill on the Friday and Murano's on Saturday). In my opinion the best lunch (and possibly the best meal of the entire cruise) was the lunch at Tuscan Grill.

We LOVED Topper!!! We saw it while on our January cruise on the Eclipse and are looking forward to seeing it again. I, too, don't understand why so many thought it was horrible. The singers were very talented and did an amazing job.

How did you learn of the Tuscan Grille/Murano lunches? Did you book in advance? It's something we'd love to try. We usually eat dinner in Tuscan on embarkation night and really enjoy it but I've read they've changed their menu. Hoping they still have the 'lobster alfredo'!