Misleading 50% Refund

gjklockhart

We recently booked a 4 day cruise to Cozumel with Carnival Cruise Lines. The ship was supposed to leave Tampa on January, 28th (2016) but was unable to get into port that day due to heavy fog. Carnival offered an alternate 3 day "cruise to nowhere" the following day with a 50% refund and a 50% discount on a future 2-4 day cruise. We took the 3 day cruise and expected to get a 50% refund of what we paid for the original cruise. The cruise cost almost $1400 for the 4 of us so we expected to get a refund of nearly $700. What we got was $558. When I spoke to Carnival (guest administrations) they said that not all of the costs of our cruise were subject to the refund. They said "we should have known" that the total fare was made up of several charges/fees and not all of them were included in the refund.

The email letter they sent us offering the alternate cruise stated: "Guests who sail with us tomorrow will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare (refunded within the next 2 weeks) and a 50% discount on a future 2 to 4 day Carnival cruise*" "refunds will not be provided for flight changes, hotel accommodations, meals, transfers or other incidental costs resulting from this weather delay." The letter explained that flights, hotels etc. would not be refunded, but nowhere did the letter state that some costs associated with the cruise would not be refunded. Had we been informed of that we probably would not have taken the alternate cruise.

We feel that the letter offering the alternate cruise and discount was misleading and that Carnival should refund 50% of the full price we paid for the cruise.

We recently booked a 4 day cruise to Cozumel with Carnival Cruise Lines. The ship was supposed to leave Tampa on January, 28th (2016) but was unable to get into port that day due to heavy fog. Carnival offered an alternate 3 day "cruise to nowhere" the following day with a 50% refund and a 50% discount on a future 2-4 day cruise. We took the 3 day cruise and expected to get a 50% refund of what we paid for the original cruise. The cruise cost almost $1400 for the 4 of us so we expected to get a refund of nearly $700. What we got was $558. When I spoke to Carnival (guest administrations) they said that not all of the costs of our cruise were subject to the refund. They said "we should have known" that the total fare was made up of several charges/fees and not all of them were included in the refund.

The email letter they sent us offering the alternate cruise stated: "Guests who sail with us tomorrow will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare (refunded within the next 2 weeks) and a 50% discount on a future 2 to 4 day Carnival cruise*" "refunds will not be provided for flight changes, hotel accommodations, meals, transfers or other incidental costs resulting from this weather delay." The letter explained that flights, hotels etc. would not be refunded, but nowhere did the letter state that some costs associated with the cruise would not be refunded. Had we been informed of that we probably would not have taken the alternate cruise.

We feel that the letter offering the alternate cruise and discount was misleading and that Carnival should refund 50% of the full price we paid for the cruise.

The letter clearly states it is 50 percent of your cruise FARE. I am sorry you did not understand the difference between cruise fare and total cost of the cruise.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am wondering if the charges that weren't in the refund were port fees/charges. If so, have you checked to see if they were already refunded to the credit card that was used for the original booking? I don't know if this is the same as a no show where those fees are refunded almost immediately.

Just a thought.

I think the ticket contract is clear on the definition.

1. DEFINITIONS AND SCOPE OF CONTRACT

(a) Whenever the word “Carnival” is used in this Contract it shall mean and include the Vessel, and all its owners, operators, employees, agents, charterers and tenders. The term “Guest” shall include the plural where appropriate, and means all persons or entities booking or purchasing passage and/or traveling under this Contract, including heirs, representatives and any accompanying minors. The masculine includes the feminine. “Guest” shall have the same meaning as “Passenger” in this Contract.

(b) “Cruise Fare” or “Fare” means the amount paid for the cruise which includes full board, ordinary ship’s food during the voyage, but not gratuities, spirits, wine, beer, soft drinks or mineral waters, shore excursions, salon and spa services, Carnival LIVE concerts, or any other incidental charge or expense. The cruise fare shall be deemed to be earned when paid and not refundable except as stated in Carnival’s brochure applicable to the voyage and as provided in Clauses 7 and 8, herein.

© Cruise Fare does not include Cruise Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses. “Cruise Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses” may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed on Carnival, by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities, as well as third party fees and charges arising from a vessel’s presence in a harbor or port. Cruise Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses may include U.S. Customs fees, head taxes, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, pilotage, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, as well as fees associated with navigation, berthing, stevedoring, baggage handling/storage, and security services. Cruise Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses may be assessed per passenger, per berth, per ton or per vessel. Assessments calculated on a per ton or per vessel basis will be spread over the number of passengers on the Vessel. Cruise Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses are subject to change and Carnival reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full.

(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges, security surcharges, or similar incidental surcharges (“surcharges”); Carnival reserves the right to impose or pass any of these surcharges and no right of cancellation shall be implied. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes collected are subject to change. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement of up to $9.00 USD, or its equivalent in foreign currency, per person per day, without prior notice, in the event that the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is greater than $70.00 USD per barrel of oil. Carnival may collect any fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full.

etc.

The calculation would be like this (as an example):

Total cruise cost $1400

Cruise fare $900

Gratuities $240 (assuming you prepaid, or are considering this as part of your total cruise cost)

Taxes/Port Fees $260

Refund $450 cruise fare

Gratuities Refund $96 (difference between 5 days and 3 days)

Taxes/Port Fees Refunded $?? (cruise to nowhere, I don't know).

Edited by Schoifmom

Actually, Carnival didn't have to do ANYTHING for you, as I'm pretty sure the cruise contract says they can cancel for unforeseen weather conditions.

However, Carnival is known for taking GREAT care of their customers, and what they did in your case was AWESOME in my opinion...

If you do the math, basically, you got a 3 day all-inclusive cruise for about $200 per person, which is a GREAT deal. In addition to that, you will get a 50% discount on a future cruise?

I'll take that deal ANYTIME.

Sorry you didn't understand the difference between "cruise fare" and "total cost" ... but that is really not Carnival's fault.

Again, And I'm sure most people would agree, you got a great deal at the end of the day and I would take carnival up on that 50% discount, as they NEVER have "sales" that good!!

Just my 2 cents

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

Sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted to, it seems you were given back half of your cruise fare minus port charges, taxes and fees. I don't believe Carnival gets that back. Still sounds like a great deal though 50% of this one and 50% off another? I was shorted a day once due to a Hurricane and got far less then you and I was satisfied. I would plan a new cruise as a distraction :D

Edited by tkportersat

The port fee's may have been refunded to your S&S account. That is why sometimes when you get on board you will see a credit on your account because those change all the time. Taxes are well, taxes and those don't get refunded.

Look at your invoice that you got when you booked an d you will see your cruise fare listed there, and you should have got 50% of that back.

I could see where someone would get confused. I just booked a cruise yesterday and the total was $1374, with the taxes. The PVP never broke that amount down to anything different, just my total. So if you were relatively new to cruising and I was told I would get a 50% refund I would think it would be of my total purchase.

However if they also had a cruise to nowhere then there should have been a reduction in port fees due anyway. Though perhaps that was given as an OBC instead?

I think they perhaps could have done just a slightly better job of explaining the difference of the cruise fare.

Guests who sail with us tomorrow will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare.

Others have already mentioned it, but the key word in that letter is "FARE". The refund that you received seems to be as promised.

I know that cruise fine print lingo can be confusing at times, and many of us commenting here have only figured it out the hard way because we've also misinterpreted fine print in the past. But don't be disappointed. What you received is more than fair under the circumstances. Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

I prepaid gratuity, did not receive refund for the day we missed, I was told we would at guest services. I will no longer prepay after this.:confused:

Did you have any OBC applied. Your port fees will go back there, and I would almost think that your prepaid tips that you were due also went back on there. That is where it was applied for others before that had the same issue.

Think of it this way, the cruise fare is what you paid to get on the boat so you got 50% of that back as a refund to your credit card or check mailed to you.

Your on board expenses that are charged to you on the ship (tips, port fees) are normally refunded in On Board Credit since those are actually paid on your behalf once you are on board. Sure you paid it up front, but if you look at your Sail and Sign charges you will see that your tips were paid on day two, but then you were credited that amount on your account since they were prepaid.

Did you have any OBC applied. Your port fees will go back there, and I would almost think that your prepaid tips that you were due also went back on there. That is where it was applied for others before that had the same issue.

Think of it this way, the cruise fare is what you paid to get on the boat so you got 50% of that back as a refund to your credit card or check mailed to you.

Your on board expenses that are charged to you on the ship (tips, port fees) are normally refunded in On Board Credit since those are actually paid on your behalf once you are on board. Sure you paid it up front, but if you look at your Sail and Sign charges you will see that your tips were paid on day two, but then you were credited that amount on your account since they were prepaid.

Didn't refund any port fees either. Just 50% of fare. Had a 7 dollar on board credit per person, seems to be normal for every cruise we have been on.

Didn't refund any port fees either. Just 50% of fare. Had a 7 dollar on board credit per person, seems to be normal for every cruise we have been on.

As others have already stated, Carnival is correct here. Your fare can be though of as the base price. Taxes, port fees, etc are added on to this. For our 4 day cruise in May, the taxes and port fees are $198.68. While you were entitled to get the port fees back, that is actually a very small percentage of the taxes and such.

As others have already stated, Carnival is correct here. Your fare can be though of as the base price. Taxes, port fees, etc are added on to this. For our 4 day cruise in May, the taxes and port fees are $198.68. While you were entitled to get the port fees back, that is actually a very small percentage of the taxes and such.

Going to disagree, port fees were more than 7 per person, and I prepaid tips and did not get refund for day we missed, sorry for messing up your cheerleading session:rolleyes:

Going to disagree, port fees were more than 7 per person, and I prepaid tips and did not get refund for day we missed, sorry for messing up your cheerleading session:rolleyes:

We missed Half Moon Cay in May, and would you like to know what we got back for missing port? a whopping 4 cents per person. FOUR CENTS. Port fees are NOT high....it's basically what the port charges the ship for each passenger who docks there. While some ports ARE higher....$7 would not be inaccurate for some ports. And in my experience, the ports that tend to be higher are on Eastern/Southern routes, not western ones.

You aren't interrupting my cheerleading session. I can see where the confusion would stem from. That's why you have to realize the difference between your fare and fees.

And if you didn't get refunded your gratuities for the missed day, you need to take that up with Carnival

Edited by tropicaledrink

I was on that cruise. I didn't pay attention to the exact amount of the refund, but realized reading this that as disappointing as it was for us, what about the workers depending on tips? I'd guess the people stuck on the ship an extra day weren't charged an extra days tips, and people on the shortened cruise who did not prepay weren't charged for the lost day so....the crew worked for nothing that day? I wonder if Carnival does anything for them? I gave my steward extra anyway, but never even went to the dining room, so nothing extra for the wait staff.

Anyhow, I'm thrilled to death with the compensation CCL offered for the lost day. I thought it was more than fair. My only expense was a hotel, one lunch, one dinner, and getting up stupid early to fly there for nothing. :p