London to Southhampton

PoppyandNana

Planning our first cruise from London. I had no idea the cruise piers were over 80 miles from London.

Did some research and was surprised as some of the pricing. $325 for a private car. Train seemed to be the most reasonable. But have a few questions for anyone who has taken the train:

1. Does the train stop directly at the piers or is there another jaunt requird?

2. In our 70's and going with a large bag and a carry on for each of us. Is there luggage assistance at the train station?

3. Are the shared vans a viable alternative. Prices seem good but only if you get the 4, 6, or 8 people to fill the van.

4. Is getting from the piers to the airport equally as expensive.

5. Has any one been able to get a roll call started from which one might get partners to share a van.

Would appreciate any best practices. By the way do the cruise lines offer transfers at a better price I wonder?

We took the train from London to Southampton in Oct 2014 for our TA cruise on the Oasis back to USA. It worked out great. There is plenty of storage space on the train for all your bags. You just have to carry the bags on and off the train.

Its a short distance from the rail station to the pier in Southampton but there are plenty of cabs available.

One thing we did that work out well for us was to take a short walk from the pier to the town area of Southampton before we boarded the Oasis. We pick up some wine and a few other items to carry on the ship.

I do recall that the ship boarding process at Southampton was very slow. They aren't used to processing so many passengers.

Yes, it is a long distance from London to Southampton and transfers are expensive.

We have used Woodford Chauffeurs on two occasions and recommend their service. Once you find your Roll Call, ask others to share the ride with you and split the cost which is what we did.

Hi there

We live in the UK and yes London is a long way from Southampton.

No the train doesn't stop at the dock/pier unfortunately. It's not too far but a taxi would be required. Usually no assistance with luggage at our train stations but you may get some helpful passengers assist you.

Depending on where you're flying into - Heathrow or Gatwick will depend on best way to get to London or Southampton. Both have a train service directly into London but I don't think they have one to Southampton (apologies I don't get the train very often). So you may need to go into London and then get another train down to Southampton.

We've never done a transfer so can't help on that point as we always drive.

I always find it fascinating when they advertise it as London as Southampton is miles away. Southampton is approx 90 mins drive from Heathrow whilst Gatwick is even worse as there is no easy direct route to Southampton but again just over 90 mins I would say.

Hope that helps

Planning our first cruise from London. I had no idea the cruise piers were over 80 miles from London.

Did some research and was surprised as some of the pricing. $325 for a private car. Train seemed to be the most reasonable. But have a few questions for anyone who has taken the train:

2. In our 70's and going with a large bag and a carry on for each of us. Is there luggage assistance at the train station?

3. Are the shared vans a viable alternative. Prices seem good but only if you get the 4, 6, or 8 people to fill the van.

5. Has any one been able to get a roll call started from which one might get partners to share a van.

Would appreciate any best practices. By the way do the cruise lines offer transfers at a better price I wonder?

First point to make is 80 miles on English roads can take some time, I would strongly recommend you travel down the day before cruising and overnight in a hotel near the cruise port, there are many to suit all budgets. Alternatively, if you would like a bit more of a taste of old England there are several country house hotels still within a 10 mile radius of Southampton for your last night.

If I was you I would pose my question on the roll call and see what comes back...In addition to train and private transfers there are several coach companies which join UK cities, a major one being 'National'. They can take a while as many will do stop offs on route but these can sometimes be more direct than trains and cheaper.

I assume you are spending a few days in London first. If so a good start is to contact the conceirge in the hotel you are staying at.They can let you know how far you are from the nearest bus stop, train station, shuttle services....I would add that although the price for the private car transfer seems quite high if you are getting a taxi from hotel to rail station, to Southampton rail station and then a last taxi to port the costs will mount and that is a lot of luggage carrying. You will find porter help quite limited in most UK rail stations.

If you are arriving at Heathrow and going straight to cruise port I would strongly recommend arriving a day early, just too many delay risks. Celebrity will certainly arrange a post cruise drop off at Heathrow for you as long as your flight doesn't leave too early but I am unsure about getting you to the port if you have not booked flights with them. Worth a call. Again I would suggest you look at National bus/coach service.

I am sure you will find additional advice on your role call. Many visitors have this journey to make every cruise!

Hope you manage to make easy and convenient connections!

There is an excellent bus service (National express) leaving both from Heathrow or Gatwick down to Southampton. If booked early and using a senior price offer we paid 73 pounds for a return ticket for two. It was clean and fast , luggage was taken care of by the driver and we only had a short taxi ride from the coach station to the pier. I'd always prefer that to the train because it's a direct transfer.

You have several choices. As has already been mentioned, Woodford Chauffeur Cars is wonderful but not cheap. If you join your roll call, you may find others who would like to share the cost. We've used them several times and they're happy to stop at more than one hotel for pick-up. They're super easy and economical if shared.

That's assuming that you're staying in London pre-cruise. If you're not and are arriving by air the day of the cruise (not really recommended), seriously think about using the cruise line transfer. It's actually reasonable if you consider the convenience factor. There is also a ship transfer that leaves from London (Victoria Station, I believe).

Yet another option is to check here:

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

They offer assorted transfer options from London hotels and from the airports. Some even include a stop at Stonehenge.

If there are only the two of you, then the most economical and comfortable way other than the National bus is to take the cruise line transfers. They usually go from LHR, Gatwick or Victoria Station in London city center. Just sit back and relax and they'll get you right to the door of the terminal.

I'm not usually a big fan of cruise line transfers, but this is one place that I would definitely recommend them for older people, solo travelers or anyone that simply doesn't want to hassle with getting their on their own. ;)

The info supplied about the distance from Southampton to Waterloo is correct. The train service from Waterloo to Southampton Central is good. You can request assistance at stations if you or any of your party have any disability - this does include helping you from the train and as the train doesn't terminate in Southampton Central - this can be very helpful. Taxis are plentiful outside the station.

You can pre- book tickets if you use the http://www.thetrainline.com site. The telephone number for assistance is there also. Cheap price tickets usually go on sale 12 weeks ish before your travel date. You can request an email to inform you of this too if you go to the site.

Your roll call for your cruise is the place to see whether anyone else is looking for a private home car transfer. I have seen Woodwards recommended before so would trust them to be good. You would need other travellers flying in at similar times to you to arrange meeting up for this (Apologies here if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs)

I would advise to travel down to Southampton with plenty of time allowed if travelling there on the actual sail date. I did that one year , instead of travelling down the day before, and was very lucky as the trains were held up because of an incident on the line. It caused me a great deal of stress as I was very concerned at a holdup. You have to understand also that road traffic hold ups can occur here in UK too.......

You might well have more success - depending on how long before your due travel- on raising interest in a private transfer back to London airports. I think Celebrity do those though with maybe a call at Stonehenge ( a waste of time imho) included.

Good luck with it...... please don't hesitate to ask if you need any other info. Have a great cruise.

From Heathrow itself there is abus that goes to Southampton .from there grab. A cab to get to your hotel ..i did it very easyget a trolley put your luggage on itpush ...follow the signs to bus terminal ..it is a walk

I could notunderstand the fellow announing the busses so I sat in front of an employee he told. Me when my bus came in .The driver will load your suitcase

The ride is very nice

I imagine you will be flying in to Heathrow and we haven't done that trip for a few years, but we have flown into Gatwick many times and usually use National Express to get to Southampton the day before the cruise departs and then a Celebrity transfer to get us back to London on our return. Both are easy, and although National Express does not take you right to the ship, it is just a short taxi ride. Last year, we could not get a Celebrity transfer (I am not sure if they are still offering them at Southampton) so we used a private car for the return to Gatwick and paid £95 - we got a few online quotes, which were all a similar price. You may be able to find another couple on your roll call to share the cost, but roll calls for Southampton departures can be very quiet as the majority of passengers are likely to be Brits, who don't figure prominently on CC.

If you use the train, you will usually have to handle your own luggage, but with National Express, the driver takes care of it for you. We travel with one suitcase and one carry-on each and find we can manage fine if the large cases have four wheels so we don't have to support the weight of the case (as you do with a two-wheeler), but basically just have to steer it. We put the carry-ons on top of the big cases and are pretty self-sufficient.

I think someone at Celebrity needs a geography lesson if they are describing Southampton as London, it is not even close and travelling down on the day of departure may be stressful, as traffic problems on this route can cause long delays, so if you have not yet booked your flights I would advise you to consider flying in a day early.

Edited by Suzy Smith

Go to the ports of call board for tons of info and detail.

We took the train from London to S.H. after our land stay. It was so easy and much more enjoyable than a bus.

The train platform is even with the train, so you don't have to carry bags up steps. And there is luggage areas on the coaches to hold your bags while traveling.

By the way do the cruise lines offer transfers at a better price I wonder?

I'm cruising for the first time from London, too, in April.

Doing a B2B on Princess first, then with Celebrity.

I found that the Princess transfer from LHR to the Mayflower pier to be the most convenient for the price.

Passengers meet the cruise rep in T3 at a designated time, & are dropped off at the pier about noon. Two hours travel time is what is stated.

There are other transfers offered from LGW & from the city, too.

We booked it for $54 pp one way.

I recommend calling Celebrity to see what they offer. Hope this helps.

Good luck.:)

Go by bus not train

SO much easier!!!

This page has everything you need

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_cruise_shuttles.htm

Yes, we find a bus trip is much easier for older folks coping with luggage. On the bus, everyone forms an orderly queue getting on and off and the driver stows the luggage under the bus and gets it out again at your destination, so you don't have to lift your cases. The train is more of a free-for-all when the doors open or close. Fellow passengers are usually considerate and will lift your cases on and off the luggage racks if they see that you are struggling, but we would always choose the bus over the train if we are travelling with large cases.

If you plan on taking the train, and you are not intending to spend time in central London, there are a few things not yet mentioned here.

From Heathrow you will travel by express to Paddington station in Central London (Do not even think about using the underground (metro) as you will contend with stairs and different levels to negotiate). From Paddington you will need to cross London to Waterloo station. To do this you will need a taxi - not all take credit cards or again negotiate the underground which is not recommended with cruise luggage.

You will have a similar experience from Gatwick, in that you will arrive at either Victoria or London Bridge stations and need to transfer to Waterloo with your luggage.

I would go by National Express bus service, Celebrity transfers or a prearranged taxi/limo. Do ask on your roll call, we found others to share transfers around the world. Good luck!

I

You will have a similar experience from Gatwick, in that you will arrive at either Victoria or London Bridge stations and need to transfer to Waterloo with your luggage.

I would go by National Express bus service, Celebrity transfers or a prearranged taxi/limo. Do ask on your roll call, we found others to share transfers around the world. Good luck!

I am currently researching for a sept cruise on MSC...Finding many useful threads on CC for getting to/from Southampton.

I thought I read that from Gatwick there was a DIRECT train without any changes needed (maybe except on Sundays??)...Are you sure about the transfer you mentioned? Again, I'm just starting to research, so I might be confused!

We are probably going to rent a car for return to London... We will have about 24 hours to explore before our return flight.

Take the National Express Bus from either Heathrow or Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. Easy and very cheap. Buy tickets online before leaving. Prices vary by day and time. Also, senior discounts are available. Store luggage underneath and ride. Takes about 2 hours. Then take a taxi from Southampton bus station to the ship. I did it and was amazed at how well it went.

I think someone at Celebrity needs a geography lesson if they are describing Southampton as London, it is not even close and travelling down on the day of departure may be stressful, as traffic problems on this route can cause long delays, so if you have not yet booked your flights I would advise you to consider flying in a day early.

This is true with all cruise lines and all over Europe. The embarkation port they list as Rome is actually Civitavecchia, which takes a good 90 minute car ride. They do the same with ports of call - they say you're going to Glasgow when it's actually Greenock or Edinburgh when it's South Queensferry. That's where these boards come in handy because people who've actually been there can advise on the best way to get around.

Did some research and was surprised as some of the pricing. $325 for a private car. Train seemed to be the most reasonable.

I would check cruise line transfers if you are flying in the morning of the cruise.

In 2014 we sailed out of Harwich, UK (Just a tad further than Southhampton), we used Eddie Manning's Limo Service out of London. He has very good rates and the service was First Class. Picked up at hotel (we spend a night) right on time, very good driver, stopped for a break, He handled all our luggage (onto the van and at the port)... There were Five of us, we hired a 6 person Mercedez Van, Total was 245 pounds, split 5 ways was reasonable.

I just check his site and starting rates for transfer to Southhampton is about 170 pounds / $245 dollars... Do a Google search for 'eddie mannings lemo service'.

Find another couple and that would be just $125 per couple.

Sue & I hate trains due to bad hips, knees & shoulders...

Dennis & Sue

I keep saying that I am not going to fly to London for a cruise that leaves from Southhampton again, but I am doing this again to see Norway. Yes, the bus is the cheapest. We did it the first time. The second, we hired a private car; my DH wants to do that again, but I am ready to do the bus because our car company wasn't there to pick us up; we had to call them. I know exactly what you are saying! As the OP said, that's Europe and it is totally worth it. Furthermore, we always stay a night in Southampton before the cruise too...

Edited by Lastdance

I must echo what many others have said and suggest that , if possible, you travel to Southampton the day before your departure.

We always use the Premier Inn at West Quay. It's basic but clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Not having to worry about encountering delays en route is priceless IMO.