NCL is killin' me. Just killin' me.

sweetpee_1993

A friend just sent me this as a heads up:

2a4adf16-3190-48c5-9579-e0d499b5750a.png

Hubby & I sailed the Getaway last September. As you can see in my signature, we have mostly sailed Disney + Royal once. Disney I've gotten a bit worn on the shows mostly because I've seen them all so many times. But one thing I can say is that they offer something different every night of the cruise in the big theater. Each ship features at LEAST 3 solid full production shows. Even on the 14-night we had something different EVERY night. On Royal we really enjoyed the variety + quality of all the shows. Something different to see at least 4 nights (thinking off the top of my head, hard to remember). That's what we are accustomed to.

On the Getaway we didn't see fit to pay for the dinner theater just to see a show. So rule that out. Plus, a magician just isn't that interesting. We did see Burn the Floor which I appreciated the athleticism of the performers but, honestly, it's just high-energy song-n-dance numbers. There's no story. Half hour in and we were pretty much done. Didn't bother with Legally Blonde. Heard it wasn't that great but I'll give the Getaway that: they had A production show. Our choice not to see it. We left our first NCL experience having had a good time and excited for the many pluses to come on the Escape when we sail her b2b in May. We were okay with the fact that shows just weren't going to be NCL's strong suit. That's okay. Still lots of fun to be had.

So according to this the dinner show we have booked is going to be something else but good luck finding out what that is. If it's 4 people standing there singing or just a magician, um, no. Not interested.

For the Record, which I've most looked forward to as I'm an 80s kid, is going to the main theater. Okay. Fine. After Midnight remains, too.

I dunno, I'm just feeling like the already not that impressive lineup (hello? Show with a plot to follow, please?) is watering down....right along with so many other offerings we were excited for when we booked last summer. Color me unimpressed. Completely.

The worst part is how guilty I feel about my inlaws. They booked the first leg of our b2b. They really enjoy shows. I just *know* they're going to miss having solid entertainment. Heck, I haven't even set foot on the ship and I already do. We will go hang out in bars, have some drinks, and enjoy. My inlaws don't drink! **sigh** I feel soooooo bad about this.

So, I'm thinking we'll go forward with these cruises because they're for my son and I think at least for the first sailing we are now into the penalty phase but after this....nope. It's worth it to pay more on the front end to get decent entertainment from a cruise line that's more consistent and dependable. I'm sooooo not a girl to gamble with my money. If I buy something I want what I bought. It's that simple.

Such craziness!

Are the shows any better on the smaller ships????

Thanks for sharing this! I do wish it were After Midnight that was transferred to Getaway, but at least maybe they'll have a variety, cirque type show for the dinner theatre. That, I might pay for. When I saw the entertainment lineup for Escape, I thought that they had too much of the same type of show: musical review type shows. So maybe the new dinner show will be different.

I dunno, I'm just feeling like the already not that impressive lineup (hello? Show with a plot to follow, please?) is watering down....right along with so many other offerings we were excited for when we booked last summer. Color me unimpressed. Completely.

The worst part is how guilty I feel about my inlaws. They booked the first leg of our b2b. They really enjoy shows. I just *know* they're going to miss having solid entertainment. Heck, I haven't even set foot on the ship and I already do. We will go hang out in bars, have some drinks, and enjoy. My inlaws don't drink! **sigh** I feel soooooo bad about this.

So, I'm thinking we'll go forward with these cruises because they're for my son and I think at least for the first sailing we are now into the penalty phase but after this....nope. It's worth it to pay more on the front end to get decent entertainment from a cruise line that's more consistent and dependable. I'm sooooo not a girl to gamble with my money. If I buy something I want what I bought. It's that simple.

Such craziness!

Are the shows any better on the smaller ships????

NCL has made a lot of changes recently, most of which do not benefit their customers. This just happens to be another. Replacing MDQ with an acapella group?? Really?! :rolleyes: I agree with you ... craziness!

NCL has made a lot of changes recently, most of which do not benefit their customers. This just happens to be another. Replacing MDQ with an acapella group?? Really?! :rolleyes: I agree with you ... craziness!

I agree too. I don't like the disrespect for the customers.

I'm on the Feb. 27th sailing. MDQ is gone but we still have our reservations for Brat Pack and After Midnight. Have not heard what the replacement (if any) entertainment will be. Thank you poster for sharing the letter you got. I had not received it. Feeble attempt to explain away the fact that something else is being taken away. Wait, maybe Million Dollar Quartet was such a hit, they want us to pay to see it just having to pay for Margaritaville is now ala carte. When I booked last year, MDQ and Margaritaville were included, now they are not.

I'm just really disappointed. My graduating teenager isn't all that into shows so selling him on one that has "Johnny Cash" as part of the act was a thing.

I suppose I should be more patient and see what the replacement in the dinner theater will be. Next November a cruise I'm on will be replacing/debuting a new show and I found out last week what the replacement is. 9 months in advance. I'm 3 months from sailing the Escape, paid in full, in the penalty phase, have paid extra for a dinner show, and I don't know what it is. It's really a stark contrast. Truly.

I intent to have a ball no matter what. Just had 52 cm of snow here (that's bout two feet). Sun, free booze, and being surrounded by a bunch of vacationing nuts like us. Doesnt get much better.

Kim

You have the right spirit and attitude. I mean really what else can you do. I'll be with my two sisters and being with them is a treat. We are older gals and hopefully we have a few more cruises to go. When Blue Man Group,was removed from the Epic two weeks before our cruise, they replaced it with "oh What A Night". We had already seen it before but enjoyed it a second time. Just seems to be a pattern

Actually, given the logistics of moving a show (which cruise lines do more often than you might think), this is the only part that makes a lot of sense. You need a recurring act that doesn't require a huge stage setup. Oftentimes its a magician or slightly above grade comedian..

I really regret booking my May 1st cruise at this point and it sucks because I am past the cancellation penalty. Now the show that I really wanted to see is gone, the port I most wanted to visit is cancelled and there have been countless (mostly negative) changes to Dsc and dining since I booked.

I would not have booked this trip had I known they would change so much. I know I'm not the most experienced cruiser but I've been on six previous cruises (3 Royal, 2 Carnival, 1 Disney) and have never seen a company mess with the product so much. If it weren't for the people traveling with me I would take the penalty and cancel.

Edited by BrytEydBelle

I can understand your worry that your inlaws will not have a good time. I felt a lot of pressure on our Escape cruise this January. We invited friends on their first cruise, and I was worried with the extra charges that were added like when Margaritaville became for fee.

I missed Million Dollar Quartet when I was on the Escape, and I am excited that it will hopefully be on the Getaway when I sail next year. I wish that For the Record was free when I was on the Escape! There is other good entertainment on the Escape, so I would not worry too much. My personal favorite was Beau Tahana who is a very talented musician.

We were also on the Escape in January. Both our MDQ and Brat Pack in the Supper Club were cancelled due to injuries. They did a replacement show in the supper club with entertainers from a couple of show singing for us and it was great. We were sorry to miss the main shows, but had a fantastic week on the Escape. It's a wonderful ship and I hope those of you who are waiting for your own cruise on her enjoy it!

Not to start a fight or anything but I think everyone who is upset should take a breath until we see what the replacement is. So far it does not sound like NCL is downgrading anything necessarily, only making changes. I too am booked on the Escape and was looking forward to MDQ but will have to adjust plans once we see what the changes turn out to be. It is frustrating sometimes when things change after booking and paying but not all change is meant to punish the guests (although the Margaritaville one was!). I just think we all need to wait and see, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised with the replacement.

I really regret booking my May 1st cruise at this point and it sucks because I am past the cancellation penalty. Now the show that I really wanted to see is gone, the port I most wanted to visit is cancelled and there have been countless (mostly negative) changes to Dsc and dining since I booked.

I would not have booked this trip had I known they would change so much. I know I'm not the most experienced cruiser but I've been on six previous cruises (3 Royal, 2 Carnival, 1 Disney) and have never seen a company mess with the product so much. If it weren't for the people traveling with me I would take the penalty and cancel.

Which port did they cancel?

The Escape certainly has had its teething pains, many self inflicted.

This issue highlights the problem with NCL's emphasis on large Broadway style productions as its core entertainment in smaller theaters. We saw MDQ and AM on the Escape. Both excellent shows. However, the rest of the week provides little in the way of complimentary entertainment in the main theater. The first night we saw the preview show. This is basically excerpts from MDQ and AM. The last night was the cruise staff talent show. The crew certainly tries to entertain, but suffice to say it is not a professional production. It appears the entire main theater budget is allocated to two shows. Therefore, three of the seven nights were without entertainment unless you try to see repeat performance of the main shows. The issue is exasperated when a main show cancels. This happened to MDQ on both the cruise before and after our cruise.

Not to start a fight or anything but I think everyone who is upset should take a breath until we see what the replacement is. So far it does not sound like NCL is downgrading anything necessarily, only making changes. I too am booked on the Escape and was looking forward to MDQ but will have to adjust plans once we see what the changes turn out to be. It is frustrating sometimes when things change after booking and paying but not all change is meant to punish the guests (although the Margaritaville one was!). I just think we all need to wait and see, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised with the replacement.

Now this is the way you post to complainers, not the way I did... nice job. To the original poster please accept my apology.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

When Blue Man Group,was removed from the Epic two weeks before our cruise, they replaced it with "oh What A Night". We had already seen it before but enjoyed it a second time. Just seems to be a pattern

This!! I have the worst luck when it comes to this stuff. Thank goodness AM will still be on our sailing for the Escape, as I wanted to see that one more than MDQ anyways. But, all of these subtractions from what people paid for and now are removed really stinks. I wonder if everyone affected by these changes will receive that same email as the OP...likely not.

Replacing MDQ with an acapella group is definitely downgrading. We are two weeks out from sailing. We get an acapella group and After Midnight. Woopie doo.

Edited by Daenerys T

i travel NCL, in part, because of the entertainment. There is always a show in the main theatre, and if you dont like that, there are two other venues plus the atrium. The Blues Club, Second City, Howling at the moon (clearly I cant keep BA seperate from GA).....take your pick! i havent found this choice on any other line.