New Ships

cwisleman

According to John Delaney (came on board Odyssey) New ships will be based in New Zealand and Australia doing short one and two week cruises. Confirmed no washers, dryers, etc and no more World Cruises. Sojourn will be used for extended cruises, Odyssey will concentrate on Caribbean, and Quest to continue to concentrate on Antarctic, Alaska, etc. I could make some comments, but will leave it to others! I was taught if I can't say anything nice to keep my mouth shut. :(:(

According to John Delaney (came on board Odyssey) New ships will be based in New Zealand and Australia doing short one and two week cruises. Confirmed no washers, dryers, etc and no more World Cruises. Sojourn will be used for extended cruises, Odyssey will concentrate on Caribbean, and Quest to continue to concentrate on Antarctic, Alaska, etc. I could make some comments, but will leave it to others! I was taught if I can't say anything nice to keep my mouth shut. :(:(

WOW - what are the honchos thinking?

I don't know what to make of these positioning and routing assertions either. I mean, does anyone think that Seabourn knows where to base ships needing 1200 passengers to fill them forever and/or before their competitors' intentions and changing demographics drive these decisions?

I am on Odyssey now and witnessed John Delaney come and go in Sydney. Unfortunately, he did not hold a Diamond level meeting that would have included us; we were about 25 days short of "double Diamond" 500, in fact. He did, though, host certain others to dinners including some who joined in Sydney whereas we had been here for 5 weeks. Surprising, odd and disappointing to me.

According to my friends who had a look into what he may have been discussing with them and others ther was no specific or tangible news about specific Encore layouts and design choices apart from no laundry room. Which begs the question of passengers bringing portable irons to spruce up wrinked shirts. Nor about the

tiresome and overdue questions about smoking in the Observation Bar and verandas. I deduce it was all about thanking these passengers for their patronage.

So I guess that we need to check th Seabourn website periodically for any updates on Encore and other policies. It can't be long when you think about it as the first Encore cruise is in 9 months.

Happy sailing!

I don't know what to make of these positioning and routing assertions either. I mean, does anyone think that Seabourn knows where to base ships needing 1200 passengers to fill them forever and/or before their competitors' intentions and changing demographics drive these decisions?

I am on Odyssey now and witnessed John Delaney come and go in Sydney. Unfortunately, he did not hold a Diamond level meeting that would have included us; we were about 25 days short of "double Diamond" 500, in fact. He did, though, host certain others to dinners including some who joined in Sydney whereas we had been here for 5 weeks. Surprising, odd and disappointing to me.

According to my friends who had a look into what he may have been discussing with them and others ther was no specific or tangible news about specific Encore layouts and design choices apart from no laundry room. Which begs the question of passengers bringing portable irons to spruce up wrinked shirts. Nor about the

tiresome and overdue questions about smoking in the Observation Bar and verandas. I deduce it was all about thanking these passengers for their patronage.

So I guess that we need to check th Seabourn website periodically for any updates on Encore and other policies. It can't be long when you think about it as the first Encore cruise is in 9 months.

Happy sailing!

Check with Warren Van Zyl - He has info on new itineraries at Destinations Services - Deck 7

Markham - could your well known objection to smoking have anything to do with your lack of a dinner invitation, perhaps?? I have always assumed that Head Office gets people to look over the more contentious posts on CC, and no doubt have ways of finding out who people are, even if they try to keep anonymous. What do you think?

No laundry rooms!! So washing gym kit after a run will no-longer be a quick throw it in the washer and we're going to have laundry out all over people's balconies drying. I find it hard to believe there isn't space, it sounds like a pure revenue generation choice but perhaps I am just too cynical.

Unfortunately, Seabourn (and others) will never again be the cruise line we first enjoyed. Hard as it is for me to accept but anyone over 50 is not on cruise lines radar. They already built ships for us and assume we will continue to cruise till we can't. New ships being envisioned today are for the present day 30 somethings who the lines hope to attract and keep for the next 30 or so years of the proposed ships lifespan. Tough beans but that's the way it is in the shipping biz.:eek::D

Lincslady,

I doubt that my views on smoking made a difference in terms of the elite invitation list. Probably more about an arbitrary cutoff of 500 days to get there.

Further, I am in good company re addressing the smoking issue. The recent past and the future of cruise lines is about replicating hotel practices, offering healthy environments, enjoyment etc and this does not include an Observation Bar remaining a smoker's lounge at 20:00. And then there is smoking on cabin verandas. What Carnival or other cruise line now allows that?

Anyway, my guess is that this will be resolved by Nov. of this year with Encore's arrival, with announcements this summer. We shall see!

By the way, my personal welcome here has been excellent, my views on the shuttle service in Sydney and the grumbling about Mr Delaney's fly by visit. We had dinner with Chris Lemmon (son of US actor Jack) and US publisher Steve Forbes and these are favors I would expect are granted on an exceptional basis. Handre as CD, Daniel as HM and new HM Stephane are working and delivering to the highest Seabourn standards. And then there is Chef Rajat and his delicious and varied menus rounding out a superb team!

For all you early cruise bookers I recommend you jump on a similar South Pacific itinerary for your enjoyment of these peaceful, remote and interesting ports. Today is Tadine, Mare for a glorious beach day.

Happy sailing!

Late edit and so I apologize for it!

Please add the word "notwithstanding" to the end of the first sentence in the fourth paragraph above. It should read... "fly by visit notwithstanding."

Sorry for the confusion.

Happy sailing!

Unfortunately, Seabourn (and others) will never again be the cruise line we first enjoyed. Hard as it is for me to accept but anyone over 50 is not on cruise lines radar. They already built ships for us and assume we will continue to cruise till we can't. New ships being envisioned today are for the present day 30 somethings who the lines hope to attract and keep for the next 30 or so years of the proposed ships lifespan. Tough beans but that's the way it is in the shipping biz.:eek::D

What possible justification can you have for thinking that when looking at the plans for Encore?

Have I missed the rock wall, crèche, kids club and Ministry of Sound sponsored night club? Surely the lack of a laundry is more likely to put off younger cruisers with families and those active enough to work out in the gym.

Do old people not like dining choice?

Henry :)