Royal Caribbean's unwelcoming policy

Pontus

We were on Enchantment for the February 5th sailing, as we boarded in Port Canaveral most of us were prepared for skipping Coco Cay due to the wind and it was canceled. It was a leisurely cruise back to Florida with lots of shipboard activities added. There was no refund of port fees, should there have been?

You are assuming that he even received a contract? I received NOTHING from RCI....NOTHING. I had to call to even get an invoice.

So haven't cruised rci yet and your first cruise is not till June. When do you think you will get your cruise docs

Hint, maybe end of march

The fine print for Royal Caribbean--which yes, of course most people don't read and probably don't even know about until it affects them--states:

"Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation."

I don't know of any cruise line that 100% guarantees to get passengers to the ports advertised. It would be impossible given that itineraries are ruled by the whims of Mother Nature and that the mission of every ship's captain and crew is to keep passengers safe. That is the #1 priority. It's the nature of the beast that sometimes ports will be missed and that's just the way it is. It's a shame that some people don't understand this concept and get all upset and expect compensation, whether it's in the shape of a glass of wine, free internet minutes, etc. Insurance companies don't pay when "acts of God" cause unforseen things to happen; cruise companies are no different.

We were on Enchantment for the February 5th sailing, as we boarded in Port Canaveral most of us were prepared for skipping Coco Cay due to the wind and it was canceled. It was a leisurely cruise back to Florida with lots of shipboard activities added. There was no refund of port fees, should there have been?

I don't remember if we've had a little port charge refund when we've missed Coco Cay or not. I'm positive we did not get a refund the first time we missed it because the captain took us to San Juan instead. On the other two I'm not sure. I know we have had refunds when we've missed other ports, and sometimes those credit amounts are so small you barely notice them in your onboard account. (Like less than 5 bucks per person sometimes) Also a few times we've had a small adjustment in port charges and gotten back a little credit in the onboard account because the charges were less than what Royal collected from us with our fare. On our last cruise, though we did make it to all the ports, one of the port charges had gone down a bit, so we each got a $2.42 credit in the account.

Since the port charges/tax are all lumped together on your invoice/receipt, I don't know how to figure out what applies to what port.

If the port charges/tax go down or are not paid due to missing a port, you should get a refund in your onboard account.

Judy

Here's my problem with stuff like this. While I understand that you were disappointed you didn't visit Nassau, why did they owe you something? You have a ship full of complimentary activities already to keep you going and if they would have sailed into Nassau into a storm, people would crucify them for going into a dangerous situation and demanded compensation and called the media. If they don't call on the port, you want compensation for something they had no control over. I get what you're saying but this is why they try to sail through storms, because they are danged if they do and danged if they don't.

Yep, and with all the hullabaloo about the Anthem, expect this to happen much more often.

Yep, and with all the hullabaloo about the Anthem, expect this to happen much more often.

I'm not sorry we missed all our ports. I'm just sorry we had to turn around and come home 3 days early. I'd have loved more sea days.

why are you entitled to ANYTHING above and beyond what the contract states( refunded port charges)?

when did we as a society decide to demand that we are entitled to all sorts of extra recompense just because?!

Good point. On more than one cruise I have just stayed on the ship even though we were docked in Nassau.

On our cruise to Nassau on the Majesty of Seas food and service was good, but the company's unwelcoming policy in an unusual situation was surprising and unpleasant. Due to the hard wind the ship did not visit Nassau at all. The company could have been able to soften the disappointment in many ways, which would have cost practically nothing, but nothing was offered. No compensation was given, not even internet time at a reduced price, not to mention free. (The connection would have been free in Nassau at Starbucks.) When I asked for it, the replay was: "We owe you nothing." Perhaps this is true legally, but it does not tell good about the company's policy and shows its greedy attitude. Charge of the internet connection was $ 20 / day / device. Price is high, like all the other prices onboard: glass of wine $ 10 and bottle of water $ 3. The tendency to charge for everything possible created a very bad atmosphere.

I have missed ports multiple times on other lines -- Princess and Carnival. I never received anything other than a refund of the port fees for the missed location. If you can't handle that, then perhaps another type of vacation would be more to your liking.

On our cruise to Nassau on the Majesty of Seas food and service was good, but the company's unwelcoming policy in an unusual situation was surprising and unpleasant. Due to the hard wind the ship did not visit Nassau at all. The company could have been able to soften the disappointment in many ways, which would have cost practically nothing, but nothing was offered. No compensation was given, not even internet time at a reduced price, not to mention free. (The connection would have been free in Nassau at Starbucks.) When I asked for it, the replay was: "We owe you nothing." Perhaps this is true legally, but it does not tell good about the company's policy and shows its greedy attitude. Charge of the internet connection was $ 20 / day / device. Price is high, like all the other prices onboard: glass of wine $ 10 and bottle of water $ 3. The tendency to charge for everything possible created a very bad atmosphere.

I'll bet this is John Heald writing in under a new fake CC name !

It's laughable that people are crucifying OP for daring to ask for "compensation". I feel like it's groundhog day with all the attacks on real people on behalf of a faceless entity that exists only to make more money for its shareholders.

OP's suggestion was free internet for the day. The company paid a one time charge for their wifi system on that ship, and now it charges per internet package only because it's the most profitable. It went from chunks of time (less profitable) to requiring packages for internet. Not for your benefit, but for the company's benefit. But it would not actively lose money by offering 24 hours of free service for all. When companies can do things like that to make a vacation extra special, AT NO COST TO THEM, that is not an outlandish request from a vacationer. The fact that you people shame them and act like they're asking for handouts is outlandish.

It's laughable that people are crucifying OP for daring to ask for "compensation". I feel like it's groundhog day with all the attacks on real people on behalf of a faceless entity that exists only to make more money for its shareholders.

OP's suggestion was free internet for the day. The company paid a one time charge for their wifi system on that ship, and now it charges per internet package only because it's the most profitable. It went from chunks of time (less profitable) to requiring packages for internet. Not for your benefit, but for the company's benefit. But it would not actively lose money by offering 24 hours of free service for all. When companies can do things like that to make a vacation extra special, AT NO COST TO THEM, that is not an outlandish request from a vacationer. The fact that you people shame them and act like they're asking for handouts is outlandish.

There is a cost to them to give free internet. What about the people who paid for the package? Either they refund their money or they make those people mad.

Is that actually true? I'm not doubting it; I just don't know, since it's a satellite connection as opposed to a land-based connection. Is it a fixed amount the company pays regularly, regardless of usage?

Edited by time4u2go

I am not a RCCL Cheerleader.

I do fail to see why you feel entitled to compensation for operating the ship in a safe manner in accordance with the contract. I am sure they apologised when they explained the change in the schedule.

There are aspects of cruising I did not like. The inflated prices for drinks and internet were included. I knew that before I went and adjusted for it. I did not buy drinks or their internet and made other arrangements.

We had norovirus on board so for the first half of the cruise many activities were cancelled or modified. There was good reason for this. We did not get nor expect compensation when they took precautions. I enjoyed other things instead, and there was plenty of choice.

You say you could have got free wifi at Starbucks, but that is irrelevant. The downside of that is that you have to go into Starbucks! It is a marketing tool for that company. It is not free to the company but they offer it to entice you in hoping you will drink their swill when there. A ship based satellite system has higher costs and you expect it to be more. The price they charge is probably too much but that is where they set it.

If a port was really the reason you sailed them maybe you would have been better to have flown there instead.

Just a thought, but I hear about slow internet connections on the ships all of the time. If they opened it up to everyone on board for whatever reason, wouldn't that make it pretty much useless due to volume anyway?

Just a thought, but I hear about slow internet connections on the ships all of the time. If they opened it up to everyone on board for whatever reason, wouldn't that make it pretty much useless due to volume anyway?

Can you imagine the craaaaawwlllllll.

Do you pay a one time charge for your Internet?

I sure don't.

I pay every month and that includes a certain amount of data, if I exceed that I pay more.

There is a factor in financial calculations called opportunity costs. If they choose to give Internet away they have given away that potential revenue. Revenue that goes directly to the bottom line because it is mostly a fixed cost. If they gave that away they would either end up with less revenue or have to make up that revenue in some other way. Considering that Cruise line profit margins run only about 5% or so there is not much room to be giving revenue away.

Sadly, I have to agree with you and I have not even gone on my first cruise yet! The lack of contact and their smug attitude when a complaint is filed is astounding. I had a simple complaint (No contact from them when the entire Itinerary changed and I was worried I would not be receiving other important documents) and yet no resolution. No apology. Nothing. I ended up calling them because a week went by and they had not responded to my email inquiry. They finally did by sending me a receipt of my cruise. Um, okay, that is not at all what I requested. They are just smug. I come from a customer service background and do as much as possible to help my customers and it saddens me that RCI takes so much money yet cannot offer an explanation why half my cruise was alerted to the change and I was not. Bad business. I am nearly 100% sure I will not be sailing with them again. We will see how the cruise goes.

I'm sorry but I decided to be nice instead. Have a nice cruise. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? I thought that companies that provide pervasive internet on their premises had to pay for monthly band width usage just like households do. I know it's satellite internet, so it's different and probably pricier than what I pay for at home, but I don't think it's something that Royal just paid for once and now sells. Of course they make a profit on it, just like any other service they sell. (Let's talk pedicure!:eek: My nail shop at home charges me $20. It's more than twice that in the spa on the ship. Of course I don't have a view of the sea while the lady in my home nail shop does my toes, so that's probably worth something.:o)

Anyway, I believe they pay regularly for internet then they resell to us. Same with telephone services. I've just never heard of any way for an individual or a company to just pay once and get wifi internet forever. Maybe I need to check this out further...;)...I get tired of those monthly charges here at home.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Nonsense!

Human beings are the shareholders who make up your "faceless entity." They are the owners of RCCL. They are from every state, every racial and ethnic group. They are trying to pay their kid's tuition, have enough money to support their retirement and pay their credit card bills.

To mock them and label them "faceless" is an insult!

Edited by yogimax