Stay, leave or just not bother?

KeithJenner

If you choose to fly in and out of Hamburg is the airport to cruise port a hassle?

We live very close to Seattle port and have taken a few cruises from Vancouver. Even took a flight vs drive because wait times at the Canadian border, parking... but the YVR airport has a very easy tram to take us to the cruise port for embarkation and Vancouver is also a very pretty and fun place to visit even if for a couple hours before boarding. Seems silly in a way to get on the plane in Seattle only to up and right back down again. Pretty much a 20 minute flight but it's never been a hassle for us at the YVR airport even though we need to do customs.

If it was a huge hassle though I wouldn't do it. There is enough inconvenience involved with travel and airports.

I have a deposit on the Hamburg rt 9nt in Sept and noticed it is now avail for rt from Southampton. Debating on switching. The Southampton embarkation does cost more.

We also have a deposit on the Getaway 9nt Sept from Denmark. I still need to research the ports and figure out which one will be more fun for us. We've never been on a mega ship and don't have desire to sail the Caribbean. This give us a chance to sail a mega ship and try it out with some potentially great ports to visit as well.

Good luck with your decision.

If you choose to fly in and out of Hamburg is the airport to cruise port a hassle?

It's OK.

From the airport to the city centre is incredibly easy. Just jump on the train and it's a fairly short journey.

From the city centre to the port is a taxi drive. Easy, but there is obviously the cost of the taxi.

For your purposes, comparing with Southampton, city to port is much easier there (I've always walked), but from the London airports to Southampton is a real pain and will take a few hours as well as being expensive.

If I took a cruise out of New York and had Port Canaveral as a stop I would probably have the same temptation to just get off and head home instead of cruising back to New York and flying to Orlando. But, I would probably make it a sea day and relax knowing I had a couple more days to enjoy, but that is just me.

3: For me it would be a no brainer; if one line doesn't offer an itinerary I want, i'll see if a different one does. In fact, the reason why we're trying NCL is because RCI shortened their Bermuda run out of Baltimore from 7 to 5 days.

I think a lot of people take brand loyalty a little too far; the idea of eating the cost of a couple of days and getting off early just to stick with NCL is something I wouldn't even consider.

Edited by Cauzneffct

It's OK.

From the airport to the city centre is incredibly easy. Just jump on the train and it's a fairly short journey.

From the city centre to the port is a taxi drive. Easy, but there is obviously the cost of the taxi.

For your purposes, comparing with Southampton, city to port is much easier there (I've always walked), but from the London airports to Southampton is a real pain and will take a few hours as well as being expensive.

I know you have more experience with cruising and also about these itineraries so I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind. I have appreciated your reviews in the past and value your opinions. What I'm wrestling with is A. booking Hamburg or Southampton on the Jade. We really like the Jade and can actually afford a suite (non haven) on the 9 nt Sept.

B. Sailing on the Getaway 9 nt from Denmark Sept in a spa balcony. (2k less than the suite on the Jade)

I've only seen the suite prices go up on the dates that ever work for me and so booking early on will hopefully benefit us this time. We are fine with non suites and even non balconies too depending on cost.

Airfares do need to be taken into account. We can use Avios to fly to or through LHR but would only use Avios if we fly SEA to LHR first or business because of the taxes. Icelandair is an affordable option for us and they can get us to Denmark or Hamburg for about the same amount of fly time, just not the same style.

What would be your choice on the Getaway vs Jade itineraries?

It sounds like you have more or less made your decision, but I sort of like the idea of just buying one way airfare and disembarking at Southampton.

My second choice would just be stay on the ship and enjoy something onboard and choose a deck seat where you can't see which city your are docked at. :D

ETA: I wouldn't pick option three at this point. You like the ship and the atmosphere, and all the other ports. Moving on to try something else should be something you are excited about, not just feeling pressured to do.

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

I think a lot of people take brand loyalty a little too far; the idea of eating the cost of a couple of days and getting off early just to stick with NCL is something I wouldn't even consider.

I agree with that. In hindsight, option 2 was never really likely to be one to go for. The extra price does make it very expensive per day.

However, the more I think about it, the more I like just going doing the Hamburg round trip.

I have never been one pushing for UK departures. I actually like starting s holiday by getting on a flight (in fact the holiday starts at a airport hotel the night before), so as long as I can get over the fact that we visit Southampton for that day then in many ways, 10 nights including Hamburg is more appealing than 7 nights straight from Southampton.

I will pay a bit extra for NCL, but not enough to justify option 2. For people who really want to sail out of the U.K. then the Hamburg departure would be a major issue, but if that was the case then they are unlikely to be NCL regulars anyway.

I've spent a lot of my like with little or no brand loyalty, but in the last few years, I have started to see the attraction in sticking with what you enjoy all the while it still meets your needs. NCL are right on the border with this one, but I'm not sure they have crossed the line yet.

My wife and I were just discussing it and, to be honest, a couple of days in Hamburg, 7 days in Norway and then three relaxing sea days sounds really nice. Better than just 7 nights from Southampton and then just jumping on the train home.

10 nights out of Southampton including a day in Hamburg would probably be better, but that isn't available.

The more I think about it, I'm seeing that I was letting that port stop in Southampton bother me more than it should have. Once, as a result of this thread, I saw through that then things looked much better. I'm now starting to imagine sitting on my aft balcony with a drink looking at the scenery.

Vacationdreamer, sorry but for some reason I can't quote your post but I have to say that the edit at the end of your post is absolutely spot on. I don't have an objection to trying other lines, but when I do I want it to be because for the right reason. Being pressured into doing to could easily end up with us having a negative approach to the whole thing.

"I don't really want to be here, but I've been forced to" isn't really the best frame of mind to approach a holiday.

I know you have more experience with cruising and also about these itineraries so I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind. I have appreciated your reviews in the past and value your opinions. What I'm wrestling with is A. booking Hamburg or Southampton on the Jade. We really like the Jade and can actually afford a suite (non haven) on the 9 nt Sept.

B. Sailing on the Getaway 9 nt from Denmark Sept in a spa balcony. (2k less than the suite on the Jade)

I've only seen the suite prices go up on the dates that ever work for me and so booking early on will hopefully benefit us this time. We are fine with non suites and even non balconies too depending on cost.

Airfares do need to be taken into account. We can use Avios to fly to or through LHR but would only use Avios if we fly SEA to LHR first or business because of the taxes. Icelandair is an affordable option for us and they can get us to Denmark or Hamburg for about the same amount of fly time, just not the same style.

What would be your choice on the Getaway vs Jade itineraries?

Based purely on itinerary, for me the Getaway wins hands down. Those September 9 night cruises are particularly weak in my opinion.

I've never been to Amsterdam and really want to go there, however places like Le Havre and Zeebrugge don't appeal much at all. They are advertised as being ports for Paris and Brussels (plus Southampton for London), but none of those cities are ones which I consider best done for a cruise ship. You will be spending a long time on transport to visit the cities for a short time.

The Getaway itinerary on the other hand is fantastic. You may have read the comments on other threads about Nynshamn rather than Stockholm, but Tallin is one of my favourite ports anywhere, Helsinki has lots of options and Copenhagen is also fantastic. St Petersburg offers so much (although is challenging to plan).

There other considerations of course. The Baltic ports are very expensive. As well as being difficult to plan, St Petersburg requires tours which can be expensive.

I'm not sure of your opinions and experience with the ships. You say you like the Jade, but what is your opinion regarding the Getaway? I have no particular preference between the large or smaller ships, but I have to say that the Getaway in the Baltics doesn't massively appeal. Much of what I love about the big ships is made nicer by the good weather. The waterfront doesn't appeal one bit in the Baltics in September for example.

Hope that helps a bit. Just be aware that my opinion of the Jade itinerary is probably different, being from the UK to what yours would be. However, be aware that you may not necessarily get to visit London, Paris and Brussels.

Vacationdreamer, sorry but for some reason I can't quote your post but I have to say that the edit at the end of your post is absolutely spot on. I don't have an objection to trying other lines, but when I do I want it to be because for the right reason. Being pressured into doing to could easily end up with us having a negative approach to the whole thing.

"I don't really want to be here, but I've been forced to" isn't really the best frame of mind to approach a holiday.

I guess I don't have problems with being "pressured" or "forced" because I have no problems seeing which company best suits my needs for a particular transaction and going with them. The idea that you'd book a trip you didn't want to take (either with a different line or going to extremes to stick with NCL) baffles me. Obviously you should do whatever you want, but it seems like this is a much more momentous decision for you than it would be for me.

Keith

I feel your pain!

I have skimmed your thread and will throw in a couple of my thoughts (which may upset one or two readers).

Jade is probably a better pub than most in Southampton (Yes, I have been to the Red Lion and enjoyed it), especially as Jade would be 'free beer' (albeit fizz).:D

I am in the 'trying other lines' situation at the moment - due - in part - to NCL's itineraries and also the 'FDR effect' (we are Platinum on NCL). Our number 1 line is probably Princess after 2 excellent cruises on them. RCI are not in the ballpark - we did a short cruise on Independence of the Seas and both vowed never again. We are trying P&O in March - will report back with our views.

We are looking at the 4th July (North Cape) and 16th July (Iceland etc.) as a B2B - bit too steep for us at the moment so we are price watching. (Fortunately this fits with my College holidays).

I guess I don't have problems with being "pressured" or "forced" because I have no problems seeing which company best suits my needs for a particular transaction and going with them. The idea that you'd book a trip you didn't want to take (either with a different line or going to extremes to stick with NCL) baffles me. Obviously you should do whatever you want, but it seems like this is a much more momentous decision for you than it would be for me.

I must have read his post completely differently. He gave 3 options, none of which were ideal, but he was open to any. I'm pretty sure if he didn't want to take the trip, as you said above, he wouldn't take the trip. He has options, and he's choosing the one best for him. Just my 2 cents.

I must have read his post completely differently. He gave 3 options, none of which were ideal, but he was open to any. I'm pretty sure if he didn't want to take the trip, as you said above, he wouldn't take the trip. He has options, and he's choosing the one best for him. Just my 2 cents.

I was referring to a later post (which was quoted in my post) about being willing to try other lines but not wanting to feel pressured or forced to.

My point is that, when I try RCI for example, I want it to be because I have looked at what they are offering and thought "I really want to try that". I'm not too far away from that point when it comes to their new ships.

I don't want to be onboard for negative reasons, which this could well be. You may not understand that thinking, but it a valid point of view.

To be absolutely clear, the Jade itinerary is not one that I don't want to do. In many ways it is superior to the ones I've seen offered by other lines. I prefer longer trips than 7 nights, and Hamburg is a massive positive for me. Really looking at things with the help of many comments on this thread, it's becoming clear to me that I had thrown my toys out of the pram a bit regarding the Southampton stop. If I scrub past that bit, it's a 10 night cruise ending with three sea days, and including Hamburg as a nice starting point. If I fully look past the issue of leaving Southampton to then fly back from Hamburg, there is an argument for saying that the Hamburg round trip is preferable to Southampton. Personally, I'd rather it went somewhere other than Southampton on that day, but one port out of 7 not being ideal isn't bad.

I can assure you that if the Jade itinerary really wasn't right for us then I wouldn't even be considering it. It is because the Jade cruise is so close to being just right that it is causing me such frustration. The answer to my dilemma isn't to book another line on an itinerary that is even less good for us.

Keith

I feel your pain!

I have skimmed your thread and will throw in a couple of my thoughts (which may upset one or two readers).

Jade is probably a better pub than most in Southampton (Yes, I have been to the Red Lion and enjoyed it), especially as Jade would be 'free beer' (albeit fizz).:D

I am in the 'trying other lines' situation at the moment - due - in part - to NCL's itineraries and also the 'FDR effect' (we are Platinum on NCL). Our number 1 line is probably Princess after 2 excellent cruises on them. RCI are not in the ballpark - we did a short cruise on Independence of the Seas and both vowed never again. We are trying P&O in March - will report back with our views.

We are looking at the 4th July (North Cape) and 16th July (Iceland etc.) as a B2B - bit too steep for us at the moment so we are price watching. (Fortunately this fits with my College holidays).

Thanks for the feedback. I value your opinion on these things.

Interesting that you weren't impressed with RCI. Many people I know who enjoy NCL also like them. I don't know huge amounts about Princess, but their ships look nice.

A friend is a P&O regular and they have said that they wouldn't recommend them to us at all. From all I know, I think they are right. Not because they are good or bad, just don't fit in with the things we particularly enjoy on a cruise.

I have not cruised much at all! We've only done DCL & Princess. I enjoyed both lines tremendously.

Customer service is huge for me, as is dining. Princess delivered hand-over-fist in both areas. If they offered more in the way of family entertainment we'd be all over that line. As it is, we're doing NCL this year to try to capture that entertainment piece. (But wondering if the "FDR-effect" will have us missing customer service and excellent food.)

So, what do you think? Will doing the Hamburg round trip really be so bad. Am I crazy for considering paying for 10 nights and then only sailing for 8? Should I just stop banging on about this and go somewhere else totally? All comments are welcome.

I'd go on another cruise line that more suits what you are looking for.

Thanks for the feedback. I value your opinion on these things.

Interesting that you weren't impressed with RCI. Many people I know who enjoy NCL also like them. I don't know huge amounts about Princess, but their ships look nice.

A friend is a P&O regular and they have said that they wouldn't recommend them to us at all. From all I know, I think they are right. Not because they are good or bad, just don't fit in with the things we particularly enjoy on a cruise.

re RCI - it was a 4 day cross-channel 'taster cruise'. There were many RCI regulars who were whinging about stuff. In 4 days they managed to screw up 2 breakfasts and one dinner. I do not sail to see another shopping mall - and as for getting a decent snack outside of dining hours - forget it.

re P&O - we have done a ship visit - it was quite good. We are expecting a different experience to NCL/Princess but are going with an open mind (cheaper drinks and tips is a plus). The price was very good; the ship is a decent size (not too big); the itinerary has several new ports for us and it fitted exactly with my Easter holiday dates and the stag do I have to 'organise' directly after we return! Not too keen on the 'penguin suit nights' but I'll go with it, hoping that the food and ambiance measure up.

re Princess - currently they are our line of choice - a lot like the good bits of NCL but they have not implemented the 'not-so-good' bits of NCL. No room service charge; drinks/DSC cheaper; food probably a bit better; service easily as good; shows not so good as NCL. Both times we sailed with Princess, we got cracking last minute deals out of Southampton. Can't get the same last minute deals from NCL when you have to factor in flights/trains to the continent.

Edited by SteveH2508
added Princess paragraph

Based purely on itinerary, for me the Getaway wins hands down. Those September 9 night cruises are particularly weak in my opinion.

I've never been to Amsterdam and really want to go there, however places like Le Havre and Zeebrugge don't appeal much at all. They are advertised as being ports for Paris and Brussels (plus Southampton for London), but none of those cities are ones which I consider best done for a cruise ship. You will be spending a long time on transport to visit the cities for a short time.

The Getaway itinerary on the other hand is fantastic. You may have read the comments on other threads about Nynshamn rather than Stockholm, but Tallin is one of my favourite ports anywhere, Helsinki has lots of options and Copenhagen is also fantastic. St Petersburg offers so much (although is challenging to plan).

There other considerations of course. The Baltic ports are very expensive. As well as being difficult to plan, St Petersburg requires tours which can be expensive.

I'm not sure of your opinions and experience with the ships. You say you like the Jade, but what is your opinion regarding the Getaway? I have no particular preference between the large or smaller ships, but I have to say that the Getaway in the Baltics doesn't massively appeal. Much of what I love about the big ships is made nicer by the good weather. The waterfront doesn't appeal one bit in the Baltics in September for example.

Hope that helps a bit. Just be aware that my opinion of the Jade itinerary is probably different, being from the UK to what yours would be. However, be aware that you may not necessarily get to visit London, Paris and Brussels.

Thanks. Things to ponder. I've wanted to try a mega ship and the getaway sounds appealing even if weather is bad. The spa sounds great.

Btw I think minimum Avios booking went from 4500 to 7500 effective this month. The 4500 was such a bargain.

I put down a deposit for both figuring we have quite some time to decide.

I've spent some time this morning looking at itineraries on the other lines which have been mentioned on this thread, and it has really only confirmed that the Jade itinerary is actually one of the best for us.

Some of this is based on 2016 itineraries as not all have 2017 released yet. I'm looking specifically at ones which fit in with UK school holidays.

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, P&O and Fred Olsen are out. Their Norway cruises from the UK are just 7 or 8 nights going directly to Norway and back. They don't include the Kirkwall stop which the Jade has, and I really want to visit nor Hamburg. For us, all of those itineraries are not as good as the Jade.

Cunard does offer a few different options to Norway, and some are better than the Jade. However, Cunard hold no appeal to me.

I would note that P&O do offer an Iceland cruise in August. That's not what we are looking for at the moment, but worth remembering for the future, although as noted earlier, I'm quite reluctant to go to P&O either.

The one that does offer some options in Princess. They also have an Iceland cruise in August, which will again be of interest in the future. They also have a North Cape cruise in August. I will have a better look at that, although pricing looks quite high at the moment.

It does look like my annoyance with NCL about the Southampton stop set me off on a path where I was considering other cruises which actually offer less than the Jade itinerary does.

I actually think that August 9th Jade itinerary is one of the better ones to Norway (at least for us). One thing we have to remember with cruising is that you have to fit in with the schedule and no itinerary is going to be absolutely perfect.

The main problem I have with NCL is the gross incompetence that their ground teams have shown and are seemingly still showing. I had an email a couple of days ago extolling the wonder of a cruise from Southampton to Norway and inviting me to book it...... But there still is no such itinerary either on that email or on their .uk web site.

We like the NCL ships because we have an adult daughter living with us who likes to cruise with us. The 2-bed suite fits our position perfectly and is virtually unique, thus giving us an issue not a million miles away from Keith. The press releases from NCL over the past few months kept stringing us along with promises of a set of varied cruises that we could do to northern Europe as a summer alternative to repeat trips to the dozen or so ports in the Med that we have cruised to death. We now find that they are only going to do a whole load of trips that we could easily do much easier and at far less cost on cross channel ferries, coaches and trains! Travelling a few miles overnight on a cruise ship ferry and then 10-15 hours to get from port to the capital is not my idea of a holiday.

OK, we could do Hamburg as a starting port for the couple of Norway itineraries without too much extra effort and treat Southampton as a stationary sea day. But NCL promised us a much better set of options for the past months in press releases obviously designed more for shareholders than customers.

I have made my points on other threads about the eight English Channel cruises going nowhere near the capitals they say they are visiting that somebody in NCL thinks will be more attractive to the 16,000 or so they need to get to fill eight glorified cross channel ferries.

I have made my points on other threads about the eight English Channel cruises going nowhere near the capitals they say they are visiting that somebody in NCL thinks will be more attractive to the 16,000 or so they need to get to fill eight glorified cross channel ferries.

Those other itineraries are probably quite attractive to some people from the US, for example, who see it as an opportunity to visit London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Hamburg on one trip. We know from many of the Med cruises that lots of cruisers are quite happy to jump on some transport to spend a few hours in the cities.

They will surely be difficult to sell to the UK market though. I haven't yet been to Amsterdam and was pleased to see that initially on the itineraries. However, given the rest of the itinerary it is not one for us. We will just fly over to Amsterdam some time for a fraction of the cost. If I was ever looking at that itinerary it would be so we could have a "ship week". I'd consider that on the Getaway, but not the Jade.

That's why the comments above about me considering a cruise that I didn't want to do were so wide of the mark. That has never been the problem with Norway. I love that itinerary, but it just isn't perfect.

I agree about the NCL shoreside operation. I've had problems with our Easter 2017 cruise, which I have now taken to calling the magical mystery tour as the ports have changed so much. Incompetence is the only word that can describe it, but the fact is that we are left with a cruise that is more attractive than what we first booked.

Edited by KeithJenner