Please rate optional excusions - Viking River Cruise Avignon to Lyon

zitsky

I'm specifically interested in hearing from anyone who did the Viking River Cruise Avignon to Lyon cruise and did some optional excursions. Can you share your opinion about these optional tours?

• Les Baux & Carrières de Lumières Show
  • Abbey of Cluny (is it just ruins?)

I also did see this one, but I'm not interested in painting.

• Van Gogh’s Arles & St. Rémy

I have been to Les Baux and Carrieres de Lumieres, but not with Viking. They are both something you should see. Carrieres de Lumieres is an old quarry that highlights different impressionist artists through a light and sound show shown on the expansive quarry walls. It is an amazing experience.

We did Cluny and I thought it was great. Yes, it's some ruins, some reconstruction, a charming little town, museums and an equestrian center, although the tour did not include that. We just walked past the ring where the horses and riders were practicing. I thought the ruins were very evocative.

We did not have to choose between these two optional tours however, and having been to both places, I would rate Les Baux slightly higher. However, that would depend on the time of year. It's my understanding that Les Baux can be horribly crowded in the summer, and that would definitely take away from the charm of that unique hilltop town. I would not think Cluny would be as crowded. We went to both in early May.

I have been to Les Baux and Carrieres de Lumieres, but not with Viking. They are both something you should see. Carrieres de Lumieres is an old quarry that highlights different impressionist artists through a light and sound show shown on the expansive quarry walls. It is an amazing experience.

We didn't go on Viking, but we loved Les Baux.

As for Arles,Van Gogh’s house is no longer standing. Not sure what would be in that cruise.

We didn't go on Viking, but we loved Les Baux.

As for Arles,Van Gogh’s house is no longer standing. Not sure what would be in that cruise.

From what I remember, Arles is a walking tour of the (small?) city in the morning. The afternoon includes the only Van Gogh component which I think is a stop at a cafe that he used to eat at or that he painted, I don't remember which. This last stop, the cafe, is part of a $169 per person package that includes painting plus some tour. I think that's way overpriced so my partner and I will probably save our money and do our own walk around the city in the afternoon, maybe have a nice lunch off the boat somewhere.

Edit: Here's some info. Apparently what I'm thinking about is morning plus afternoon stops in Arles include painting plus walking in Arles, then St. Remy. Still doesn't seem worth the price. We'll do the included morning walking tour of Arles I think. Then afternoon is Les Baux & Carrières de Lumières Show for $69, which some people have said is good.

Attend a private painting class, inspired by the famous Impressionist, and glimpse the places van Gogh created his masterpieces. Vincent van Gogh spent 15 months in Arles, from 1888 to 1889. While here, he descended into madness and finished 200 paintings. You will express your artistic side during a painting class at La Couverture Verte (“the Green Blanket”), at Arles’s Siqueiros Fine Arts School, perhaps calling on the creative spirit of the great painter. Then, enjoy a walking tour to some of the sites in Arles that were immortalized by van Gogh on canvas, including Place du Forum, where he depicted beautiful landscapes and local café life. After lunch, continue to St. Rémy, where you will visit St. Paul de Mausole Monastery, one of the most beautiful religious monuments in Provence. At the adjoining mental institution, see a replica of the room where van Gogh stayed and created 150 paintings.
Edited by zitsky

The painting class/tour was not offered on my recent Viking cruise (which was in the reverse direction) but it does sound a little expensive.

We docked in Tarascon and were bussed to Arles for the walking tour. We did see a few Van Gogh sights there, like the café and another place. I want to say it was a hospital/sanitarium but I can't remember. It wasn't the same one that you see on the optional tour. Do make sure you go on the walking tour with Viking. There is a coliseum that is in better condition that the Rome coliseum. We got free entrance with the Viking tour. My mother didn't go on the tour but went later on her own and admittance was not free to her.

I did do the optional tour to Les Baux and St Remy. It was great. The Van Gogh sights all have signs with his painting with the subject right behind it. We did the France's Finest combo cruises with Viking so we went to Auvers sur Oise where Van Gogh lived just before he killed himself. Our guide there was very passionate about Van Gogh and made the tour so interesting that it encouraged me to take this optional tour of Les Baux/St Remy. I really think that Arles and St Remy (and Auvers) do the Van Gogh sights well. One can take a picture of the sign with the painting and the subject in the background in one shot. Also, watch for the golden disks embedded in the streets that are marked Vincent. I don't think the guide on the optional tour to St Remy mentioned them but I knew about them from the Auvers tour. It's a lovely area of France.

The painting class/tour was not offered on my recent Viking cruise (which was in the reverse direction) but it does sound a little expensive.

We docked in Tarascon and were bussed to Arles for the walking tour. We did see a few Van Gogh sights there, like the café and another place. I want to say it was a hospital/sanitarium but I can't remember. It wasn't the same one that you see on the optional tour. Do make sure you go on the walking tour with Viking. There is a coliseum that is in better condition that the Rome coliseum. We got free entrance with the Viking tour. My mother didn't go on the tour but went later on her own and admittance was not free to her.

I did do the optional tour to Les Baux and St Remy. It was great. The Van Gogh sights all have signs with his painting with the subject right behind it. We did the France's Finest combo cruises with Viking so we went to Auvers sur Oise where Van Gogh lived just before he killed himself. Our guide there was very passionate about Van Gogh and made the tour so interesting that it encouraged me to take this optional tour of Les Baux/St Remy. I really think that Arles and St Remy (and Auvers) do the Van Gogh sights well. One can take a picture of the sign with the painting and the subject in the background in one shot. Also, watch for the golden disks embedded in the streets that are marked Vincent. I don't think the guide on the optional tour to St Remy mentioned them but I knew about them from the Auvers tour. It's a lovely area of France.

Thanks very much! When you're bused in like that, do they give you the impression that you can linger and come back later? Meaning, do they bundle you up at the end, put you back on the bus and drop you back at the ship? Or is it more like a shuttle service where you could stay until 1pm, 2pm etc? Would it be too far to walk back to the ship?

In your experience, how often are you moored *in* the city versus times when you have to take the bus to get into town?

Thanks very much! When you're bused in like that, do they give you the impression that you can linger and come back later? Meaning, do they bundle you up at the end, put you back on the bus and drop you back at the ship? Or is it more like a shuttle service where you could stay until 1pm, 2pm etc? Would it be too far to walk back to the ship?

In your experience, how often are you moored *in* the city versus times when you have to take the bus to get into town?

Yes, we could have taken a later shuttle back to the ship, if we wanted to stay in Arles longer. I couldn't because of signing up for the optional tour that afternoon. You might actually be docking right in Arles by the time you sail. When we were there in November, the guide informed us that the reason that the ship docked in Tarascon was because the pier in Arles wasn't long enough to accommodate the longships. They were actually building a larger pier in Arles then so that's why I hope that it will be done by the time you sail.

I'm fairly sure that that was the only time we docked away from the town and were bused on that cruise. We were bused a couple of times on the northern cruise - to Auvers sur Oise and, of course, to Normandy.

Zitsky, we are cruising Lyon to Avignon the week before you. I understand that the boat usually moors in Tarascon 10-12km (6-8miles) from Arles. Too far for most passengers to walk back comfortably after a day sightseeing. I hope Viking run a shuttle for passengers who want to spend the entire day in Arles.

There is an earlier thread here or in River Cruising Roll Calls that describes the docking locations in relation to transport and city centres.

Yes, we could have taken a later shuttle back to the ship, if we wanted to stay in Arles longer. I couldn't because of signing up for the optional tour that afternoon. You might actually be docking right in Arles by the time you sail. When we were there in November, the guide informed us that the reason that the ship docked in Tarascon was because the pier in Arles wasn't long enough to accommodate the longships. They were actually building a larger pier in Arles then so that's why I hope that it will be done by the time you sail.

I'm fairly sure that that was the only time we docked away from the town and were bused on that cruise. We were bused a couple of times on the northern cruise - to Auvers sur Oise and, of course, to Normandy.

Viking employees put out so much wrong information [last year there were posts that no ships were able to sail, when that was only true about Viking ships -- it's as if no other cruise lines exist]. The longships are 135 meters long, the same as all current-generation river ships. The reason they can't moor in Arles or Paris isn't the length, so it must be something else: perhaps maneuverability (or lack thereof) -- that's the story we're hearing about the Paris issue anyway.

Viking employees put out so much wrong information [last year there were posts that no ships were able to sail, when that was only true about Viking ships -- it's as if no other cruise lines exist]. The longships are 135 meters long, the same as all current-generation river ships. The reason they can't moor in Arles or Paris isn't the length, so it must be something else: perhaps maneuverability (or lack thereof) -- that's the story we're hearing about the Paris issue anyway.

Perhaps you're correct but I did see that work was being done at the pier in Arles and it appeared to me that it was being lengthened. It was a local guide who relayed the information, not an actual Viking employee.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Took this cruise on Viking last year.

Loved Les Baux. Too little time there. Can be crowded on a weekend.

Wife did Cluny on her own and loved it.

Arles was nice and we hit it on May Day. Our guide made sure we had prime location to watch the locals parade by in old costume.

Best of all for me was Pont du Gard the still standing Roman aqueduct. Great museum and a 10 minute walk to the aqueduct and across it. Outstanding!

We did Nice post cruise. Loved the old town. Booked an all day private tour (they took 3 couples) from the hotel and it was excellent. Eze was gorgeous and St-Paul de Vence was worth seeing.

Viking did a great job getting us to the airport and through an uncooperative customs agent when the machines couldn't read our passports.

Took this cruise on Viking last year.

Loved Les Baux. Too little time there. Can be crowded on a weekend.

Wife did Cluny on her own and loved it.

Arles was nice and we hit it on May Day. Our guide made sure we had prime location to watch the locals parade by in old costume.

Best of all for me was Pont du Gard the still standing Roman aqueduct. Great museum and a 10 minute walk to the aqueduct and across it. Outstanding!

We did Nice post cruise. Loved the old town. Booked an all day private tour (they took 3 couples) from the hotel and it was excellent. Eze was gorgeous and St-Paul de Vence was worth seeing.

Viking did a great job getting us to the airport and through an uncooperative customs agent when the machines couldn't read our passports.

If you had limited time, and had to choose between Eze and St Paul de Vence, what would you say? A friend suggested St Paul de Vence, but my Viking rep mentioned a tour to Eze that could be arranged.

If you had limited time, and had to choose between Eze and St Paul de Vence, what would you say? A friend suggested St Paul de Vence, but my Viking rep mentioned a tour to Eze that could be arranged.

Eze.

Small & more charming. Beautiful vistas.

Others might feel differently.

I'm specifically interested in hearing from anyone who did the Viking River Cruise Avignon to Lyon cruise and did some optional excursions. Can you share your opinion about these optional tours?

• Les Baux & Carrières de Lumières Show
  • Abbey of Cluny (is it just ruins?)

I also did see this one, but I'm not interested in painting.

• Van Gogh’s Arles & St. Rémy

Good afternoon Zitsky.

My wife and I did this cruise with Viking last October.

Rather than write reams about how good it was hows about you having a look at the review I wrote. Here is the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

There are over 100 photographs on the review including this one from Cluny Abbey which was well worth the visit...

22890379435_b4c0c83a9a_z.jpg

Zitsky, we are cruising Lyon to Avignon the week before you. I understand that the boat usually moors in Tarascon 10-12km (6-8miles) from Arles. Too far for most passengers to walk back comfortably after a day sightseeing. I hope Viking run a shuttle for passengers who want to spend the entire day in Arles.

There is an earlier thread here or in River Cruising Roll Calls that describes the docking locations in relation to transport and city centres.

Hi HDS.

The answer is yes, they do.

Or at least one was on offer when we visited last october.

The link to my review again...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

...and my view of Arles...

22876596992_5c3aa6a16e_z.jpg