Must have drinking water in stateroom

rose102798

I seriously apologize if I am offending you folks that feel the need to explain to me where tap water comes from, etc. I was not asking the question I asked to annoy anyone. I also wasn't asking the question to which you have provided an answer.

I have my reasons for asking the question I asked. If you don't have an answer specific to the question I have asked, please move on to another thread where you can possibly demean someone else. Unkay? Gheesh!

I think people are explaining it because in your second post in this thread you said you wouldn't drink it; they may be assuming you think it's not potable, so they're letting you know that it is.

Of course you have your reasons for why you asked the question, but only you know what those reasons are. On the surface, it appears you'd like to have drinkable water in your cabin. Most are simply trying to be helpful (I don't think anyone's trying to demean you) and letting you know that the tap water is drinkable.

Oh good. BTW I have seen others post that they had the mini fridge emptied. What are they emptying? Is it like a mini-bar?
Yes, it is the mini-bar. You can let the pre-Concierge know when you either call or email them with any requests you might have. FYI, I also ask for a pitcher of iced tea as well.

The tap water answer was a legit answer to your question. No reason for your snarkiness.

The person who responded was treating the OP like they were asking a stupid question.

Too many times I have seen people treated like this. I do not think the OP was/or is the one being "snarky".

Bottled water is not included in the UBP. But you can bring bottled water on board. Also the tap water in the bathroom is potable, as the other poster mentioned. We never bother bringing bottled water onboard.

Im sailing Breakaway in August. Is it correct that I can bring on a case of water? My dd and ds (22 and 18) will just grab a bottle in/out of thr cabin and it would be great.

Thanks.

Can I bring my own water or soda onboard?

Guests are allowed to bring water and soda on board in their original sealed containers. There is no set limit to this amount. We strongly recommend that you carry on the beverages. No coolers of any kind are allowed onboard the ship.

Hope this helps. :)

I had read that the drinking water, while potable, is desalinated water and has a higher sodium content than most of us are used to...and who needs hidden sodium, right? I have always brought a case of bottled water along, but I LOVE the idea of filtering the onboard water. I will definitely do some digging to see if the Brita/Pur filters remove sodium. Thanks for the idea!

The options for water are these (assuming you are not in OS, DOS or GV):

1. Drink the water from the tap.

2. Bring on a filter and drink the water from the tap

3. Bring on a case of bottled water

4. Pay for bottled water on the ship - either by buying it 1 bottle at a time or by purchasing a water package (you can prepurchase these), however, this last option is quite a bit more expensive than the others.

There is a very big difference in water from the tap and bottled water. It is a proven fact that ships water makes your legs and feet swell when you are cruising. The water that is taken in is salt water, they desalinize it, but all the salt is not removed. I need to drink bottled water and the problem is gone. Bring your own bottled water it is cheaper in the ports, and I stopped drinking water in the restaurants. The problem is solved.

I seriously apologize if I am offending you folks that feel the need to explain to me where tap water comes from, etc. I was not asking the question I asked to annoy anyone. I also wasn't asking the question to which you have provided an answer.

I have my reasons for asking the question I asked. If you don't have an answer specific to the question I have asked, please move on to another thread where you can possibly demean someone else. Unkay? Gheesh!

You could have someone else in your room fill up an empty pitcher with the tap water, walk it to you, and pretend like they are your butler if having the water brought and served to you is the deal breaker. I know filling up one's own glass is beneath some folks so this might be your best be if a constant supply of water is needed.

. . . and apparently if you post a legit question on here, orifices also typically found in the bathroom come out too.

There is also water in the toilet but I'm not drinking that either. Badump bump!

. . . now back to my question please, anyone else?

In all seriousness all the water from any of the taps on the ship comes from teh same place and through the same pipes. If your butler gets you a pitcher it will simply be filled from a tap. Water in the buffet and restaurants is filtered an additional time to remove the excess chlorine, but most people cannot tell the difference.

If you want it filtered you need to bring something like a Brita.

In all seriousness all the water from any of the taps on the ship comes from teh same place and through the same pipes. If your butler gets you a pitcher it will simply be filled from a tap. Water in the buffet and restaurants is filtered an additional time to remove the excess chlorine, but most people cannot tell the difference.

If you want it filtered you need to bring something like a Brita.

When I got water from the bars on the Gem two weeks ago I just saw the guy go to the tap at the sink there and fill me up a glass that had ice in it.

So none of this is a joke.

There is a very big difference in water from the tap and bottled water. It is a proven fact that ships water makes your legs and feet swell when you are cruising. The water that is taken in is salt water, they desalinize it, but all the salt is not removed. I need to drink bottled water and the problem is gone. Bring your own bottled water it is cheaper in the ports, and I stopped drinking water in the restaurants. The problem is solved.

I would love to see a scientific paper that proves that ship's water causes water retention. If you mean that you have had water retention on one cruise, and then taken another and drank bottled water and didn't have swelling, that is hardly a proven fact. There are many factors involved in water retention, and ship's water does not have more sodium than many municipal water supplies. There is no national requirement for sodium levels in drinking water in the US, but the EPA regards 20mg/ltr to be a safe level for those on restricted sodium diets, and 30-50mg/ltr is the taste threshold.

Ship's water comes from three sources. Some is loaded in ports, and this is normal US drinking water, so no difference there, except for regional variations, but that is not unique to cruise ships. The second source is an evaporator, where the sea water is boiled and then condensed, producing distilled water, just like what comes in the bottles of distilled water in your grocery store. This water typically has 0-2mg/ltr of sodium. The third source is reverse osmosis, where the sea water is pressed through a membrane at very high pressures, and only the water molecules can travel through the membrane. This produces water with 10-20mg/ltr sodium, right where the EPA says that water for a restricted diet should be, and lower than many municipalities.

A funny thing, when folks claim that reverse osmosis watermakers on ships leave more sodium than normal, is that one recommendation for a household that has water with too high a sodium content, is to install a reverse osmosis filter to reduce the sodium.

When I got water from the bars on the Gem two weeks ago I just saw the guy go to the tap at the sink there and fill me up a glass that had ice in it.

So none of this is a joke.

So, yes, you had tap water, and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the water straight from the tap. However, zqvol is correct. For the dining venues, even in the back at the beverage stations in the MDR, they have a pitcher filler spigot, and this will have a charcoal filter. The bar guns will have a charcoal filter, the ice makers will have a charcoal filter, and if you can find a drinking fountain, it will have a charcoal filter. This filter is to remove the chlorine from the water, but any taste improvement is subsidiary to the maintenance savings to the machinery from not having chlorine scale build up inside. This is why some folks claim that the water in the buffet or MDR tastes better than their sink water.

Given the USPH sanitation requirements on drinking water, from it's sourcing ashore, to making it onboard, to storage, distribution, and sanitizing, you are probably safer drinking tap water on ship's than from the majority of municipal water supplies, or even the bogus bottled water, which in many cases is tap water sent through a reverse osmosis filter.

I would love to see a scientific paper that proves that ship's water causes water retention. If you mean that you have had water retention on one cruise, and then taken another and drank bottled water and didn't have swelling, that is hardly a proven fact. There are many factors involved in water retention, and ship's water does not have more sodium than many municipal water supplies. There is no national requirement for sodium levels in drinking water in the US, but the EPA regards 20mg/ltr to be a safe level for those on restricted sodium diets, and 30-50mg/ltr is the taste threshold.

Ship's water comes from three sources. Some is loaded in ports, and this is normal US drinking water, so no difference there, except for regional variations, but that is not unique to cruise ships. The second source is an evaporator, where the sea water is boiled and then condensed, producing distilled water, just like what comes in the bottles of distilled water in your grocery store. This water typically has 0-2mg/ltr of sodium. The third source is reverse osmosis, where the sea water is pressed through a membrane at very high pressures, and only the water molecules can travel through the membrane. This produces water with 10-20mg/ltr sodium, right where the EPA says that water for a restricted diet should be, and lower than many municipalities.

A funny thing, when folks claim that reverse osmosis watermakers on ships leave more sodium than normal, is that one recommendation for a household that has water with too high a sodium content, is to install a reverse osmosis filter to reduce the sodium.

Exactly! We install RO systems in every property we buy. Our RO systems are typically 5 filter, and they take out nearly EVERYTHING.

We drink water from the tap on ships....or NCL-Water as we like to call it.

Yes, there's a little ankle-swelling, but it goes away within a week of the cruise...and may be related to simply being near salt-water (skin absorption)....or a higher saline content in the food.

Stephen

Whatever..you talk a good talk, but after 40 cruises, some where you are only served bottled water, I have only had this issue when drinking the ships water. Additionally I know there was a lot of salt in the water because when I would wash my hair. It always felt dirty. Get off the ship and stay in a nice hotel, and my hair is clean.

We bring on bottled water for both taste and convenience. The ship's tap water is chlorinated, and I don't like the taste of it. I suspect the amount of chlorine can vary, as at least one person has reported "green hair" from the amount of chlorine on a port day when they were "flushing the system".

Going to the buffet to get filtered tap water in the middle of the night when I get thirsty is inconvenient.

For the OP, we have never had problems bringing on bottled water. We put it in a nylon bag and put a luggage tag on it. NCL sells bottled water but it is pretty expensive. The water the butler brings to you will be filtered so it won't have a chlorine taste (and the ice is filtered as well).

You could have someone else in your room fill up an empty pitcher with the tap water, walk it to you, and pretend like they are your butler if having the water brought and served to you is the deal breaker. I know filling up one's own glass is beneath some folks so this might be your best be if a constant supply of water is needed.

Bahahahahahahaha!!

I saw another post of yours and I think you wrote that you have a young son. I hope you are not teaching him to be a bully too.

Very good post.

We had extremely hard water (very high mineral content) and it would calcify up a Mr. Coffee pot or steam iron in short order till the heating elements looked like stalactites in Howe's cavern. After using CLR and vinegar to clean out the elements repeatedly we had a water softener installed and an R/O (reverse osmosis) system installed that feeds a tap on our kitchen sink. The R/O water is used for all cooking and drinking purposes as well as a steam iron and vaporizer. After more than ten years of using the same coffee maker and steam iron I had to replace the coffee maker due to a malfunctioning timer switch.

The water softener removes the bulk of calcium and other salts from the water and replaces them with a certain amount of Sodium. The R/O system removes the Sodium and when tested the Sodium levels are way below any allowable standards I have seen. I make all my own beer and the water from the softener can't be used because of the Sodium content, but I use the R/O water and actually have to add salts before brewing.

Watch any chef in any kitchen prepare a meal. Salt is added at almost every stage of preparation. Salt is added when sweating out onions or garlic, again when tomatoes are added. Anything going on a grill or a flat top has a healthy dose of salt and pepper sprinkled on it. Pasta water is in many restaurants has the salt content of sea water (very high) and is not rinsed before being served. Just watch any show with any famous chef and the salt usage is far and beyond what almost anyone would use at home. Some chefs wake up the flavor of fruit with a slight sprinkle of salt.

A simple shrimp dish in a sauce may have 3 additions of salt before it gets plated on a bed of pasta boiled in salty water and sent out to the table... I see many people automatically reach for the salt shaker at a meal before even tasting the food. How about that lost shaker of salt or the salted rim on your cocktail (enough salt in one drink for a normal day.) All the fresh baked breads have a healthy amount of salt and it makes all those goodies taste extra good. A bottle of San Pellegrino is loaded with about twice the sodium of regular tap water and CLUB SODA (not seltzer) has about twice that much.

I would look to causes of salt intake other than water on cruise ships.

On some of the older ships I've sailed, the tap water occasionally turns murky or brown. I know that the discoloration is due to rust, but it's still off-putting. I now stick to bottled water in the cabin.

Agreed. It is especially off putting when you fill the tub or a sink and it looks off color. Water from the tap or other places o the ship often tastes a little flat due to the absence of salts that we are used to. Drinking from a bottle of warm distilled water is not my cup of tea as well. Less noticed when chilled and maybe has a little aeration from the pour (like wine).

Edited by boscobeans