Closing terminal to enforce delayed check in

JudithLynne

My research shows that on 2-29 the Ruby will be the only ship embarking passengers and departing San Pedro.

The Azamara (600 passengers) will be docked for the day (port stop) and will leave at 5 PM. I don't have any information about Long Beach.

The Inspiration is doing its 4 day cruise out of Long Beach. Most sailing on these cruises are either locals are stay near the port.

Edited by SadieN

The interesting thing is that I turned down an upsell 6 weeks ago because the suite was on the Rivera deck under the pool deck. I was so surprised when I was offered an aft suite. We can't move into the suite until day 2 of the cruise because they will be filming in that cabin! I was told that I couldn't have any info about the filming but that it was not a movie. Makes me think that the speculation about "The Apprentice" may have some truth to it.

Yes Colo, here it is from our revised Travel Summary. Look at the end of the first paragraph for the statement about the closed terminal.

We depart 2-29-2016 at 8 PM, four hours late.

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If

you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared

transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated checkin

times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to 1:00 PM as the terminal will not be open.

Once onboard, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

1:00 PM - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E 1:45 PM - Caribe & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & R 2:15

PM - Aloha & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & L 2:45 PM - Baja & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & P

Our boarding pass (preferred) printed right after final payment reads: "check-in 1:00-3:00PM." There is no mention of a closed terminal.

We received the same notice for our April sailing on Regal. Not happy.

We don't use a Travel Agent. We always book ourselves and are always looking for price drops. We have received some amazing discounts and extra OBC by checking the promotions after we have booked. I would definitely call your TA and ask about your credit.

Edited by Pattik212

We don't use a Travel Agent. We always book ourselves and are always looking for price drops. We have received some amazing discounts and extra OBC by checking the promotions after we have booked. I would definitely call your TA and ask about your credit.

And you could save another 8% to 12% additional by using a good TA. ;)

Is it really a savings of 8% to 12% or does the TA add benefits to make it seem like a discount? Every travel agent site I've gone do show prices that are the same as the Princess site.

When the TA price is 8 to 10 percent lower then the Princess base price it's a discount. Not sure what you mean by adding benefits. Normally a TA does not show the discount on line you have to call so yes they all show the same cost but not when you call and ask.

We received the same notice for our April sailing on Regal. Not happy.
Everybody has, its a suggestion. Be happy. :)

Although it's only the 2/29/16 cruise that added the statement about the terminal being closed until 1:00 PM.

Edited by Astro Flyer

When the TA price is 8 to 10 percent lower then the Princess base price it's a discount. Not sure what you mean by adding benefits. Normally a TA does not show the discount on line you have to call so yes they all show the same cost but not when you call and ask.

Example fare $100. The TA adds in an OBC for $10. To me that would be like getting a 10% discount on the $100. Still paying $100 but get back $10 of it.

I have a friend that is a TA. I don't ask her travel questions because she's off-duty when we get together. Maybe I'll break the policy once and ask her about this.

(I've always been one to make my own travel arrangements because, for some, getting there is half the fun but for me making the arrangements is half the fun.)

If she is a friend then yes please ask then you will know for sure what to expect. On shorter cruises you will definitely not get a big discount and maybe it might just be a ten dollar OBC but its still ten dollars. On longer cruises we have saved hundreds of dollars or gotten it back in OBC. Never hurts to ask and ask more then one travel agent. Only other thing I have to add is make sure they have no penalty for canceling or changing your booking. There are good travel agents out there. Have fun planning. It's one of my favorite things also.

Example fare $100. The TA adds in an OBC for $10. To me that would be like getting a 10% discount on the $100. Still paying $100 but get back $10 of it.

(I've always been one to make my own travel arrangements because, for some, getting there is half the fun but for me making the arrangements is half the fun.)

If you (to use your numbers) are paying $100 and then get $10 OBC, chances are that OBC really came by Princess through the TA and not by the TA him/her self.

A TA can have a "group" booking (although nobody in the group knows anyone else) and with that group booking comes what Princess calls "amenity points." The TA can choose what to do with the amenity points. Sometimes the TA chooses to use the amenity points to get OBC for the client which is what happens in your example. Sometimes the TA can use the amenity points to get a higher commission (you still pay the $100 list price and the TA gets that extra $10).

What Colo Cruiser was indicating is that a "good" TA would give you a discount plus use the amenity points to give you OBC. For example, instead of paying $100 you might pay $92 and still get the $10 OBC.

Where does that $8 savings in the cost come from? It could come from the TA passing on part of his/her commission. Or, if the TA is a large volume booker of Princess cruises, the TA gets a discount from Princess and passes on part or all of that discount to you. Of course some large volume TAs just keep that discount from Princess instead of sharing it with their clients.

Of course the words "good TA" above refers to pricing. A "great TA" will give you good pricing and great service also.

Edited by caribill

We received $30.19 OBC for each of us. It was on the updated

E-mail that was sent a few days ago. I'm still not very happy about the delay in check in. I'm just hoping it's not going to be crazy when they do start the process.......

I got an email with the change of itinerary, and there it is, squeezed in at the bottom! there's nothing on my personalizer.

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

Edited by ccruisequeen

And you could also miss that upsell deal if your TA is not working week ends or after hours. I have had 2 upsell offers in the past 2 months from a mini to a full suite that I could have missed. I like to be in control of my own bookings usually. There are two sides to the use VS not use a TA.

Is it really a savings of 8% to 12% or does the TA add benefits to make it seem like a discount? Every travel agent site I've gone do show prices that are the same as the Princess site.

Real $$$, and some more OBC. :)

What benefits?

Adding watered down things is a way a TA can make you think your getting a deal like providing those coupon books we use for coasters. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone.....chatted with Princess and it appears that the $31 is for a port tax credit and has nothing to do with the fact the we are boarding late. And yes, she encouraged that we be on board at 3pm due to the contracted workers leaving (porters and security).