All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Think of all the adventures that your kids will experience, don’t be sad, be joyful. We took our girls to college & our son to the Marines. Your heartstrings tug, but this is what you raised them to do, grow & spread their wings. Hugs to both of you. Melody

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laurie, I'm so looking forward to your photos! It looks like you had beautiful weather at the lighthouse based on the sky and what people are wearing.

I had house guests for a week, and I'm so tired! I just did five loads of laundry and hauled all the kayaks etc into the basement. I need a vacation. :)  Maybe just a loooong nap.  Did I say how AMAZING Queen was???? and Wicked????? Can I say it AGAIN??

Hope everyone is enjoying these last days of summer. I have just under 3 weeks until my visit to Florida, so I'm starting to think about packing. I'm expecting it will be hot with a chance of rain each day, and I'll be doing a combination of shopping, Zumba, pool time, a family visit, and a day at Animal Kingdom. I plan to carry-on only, so I will be re-wearing and hand washing some things, and I'll take a couple sundresses, with a focus on quick drying and comfort. I have such a schedule-oriented life that I'm trying not to do that to myself for the week -- just enjoy and not watch the time -- and I'm curious how that will feel!

• Like 2

Margaret, sounds like you are really looking forward to your FL trip. It also sounds like relaxing is just what you need after hosting houseguests. I too really liked Wicked  but have never been to a Queen concert. The traveling Broadway production of Wicked has been here twice and I would have gone a second time but the dates didn’t work out for us. 

Sharon

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Think of all the adventures that your kids will experience, don’t be sad, be joyful. We took our girls to college & our son to the Marines. Your heartstrings tug, but this is what you raised them to do, grow & spread their wings. Hugs to both of you. Melody

Melody, I so agree with you and I couldn’t have said it any better!😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, awhfy said:

Totally agree Melody...my angst is more related to everything that still needs to be done before we leave. Things like...receive DS' Student Visa, actually move beyond the email that says "You've got accommodation!" into the let's put a deposit down and sign the accommodation contract and request the early check in day that we need because RAM starts earlier that UL and figure out exactly where he is living in London! LOL...all the while hoping and praying that my lists are accurate (I'm not a lists person but I'm being forced into it) and that we aren't forgetting anything that MUST be done prior to going as well as when we are there before DH and I leave. We're kind of relying on the idea that DS will only be over there for 3 months at first...his first term will end and then he'll be home for a long break at the holidays...he'll have actually been there and lived there and figured out some other things that we know he needs but he isn't sure what he wants...like clothes and shoes. He needs new ones...especially shoes...but it'll be nice for him to have a chance to be over there and see how people dress and how the weather affects him.

• Like 1

pacruise....hope all is going well in your preparations!

Margaret! I bet Queen was amazing. Did you see Bohemian Rhapsody? I enjoyed that movie quite a bit. We're looking to seeing you! if only for a few hours...LOL...we'll see how the weather is in a few weeks but the word all over here is that this is the rainiest, wettest summer in a long, long time. It's making everyone a bit crazy... and the thing is that is it SO rainy, it really cools things down. AAAANND...you can hand wash if you want to...but we DO have a w/d.

Anita, I remember well helping our son get ready for college in another state (1800+ miles away) and that was stressful enough so can’t imagine what it’s like preparing to go to school in another country. Hope it all goes well as your son begins this new phase of life.

Sharon

Anita, lists are your friend. The 3 months then home for break is perfect for the first university separation (for kid & parents). Everything will work out. Today is the 15th, I bet you get that accommodation email today. Hugs, you’ll make this. Melody

Paccruise & Anita ., Watching your children go to college is as tough as watching them enter school . It is another step toward independence . Remember they will always be your children ! My daughter is 42 and I could not be prouder of how she turned out .

• Like 2

It is so interesting to hear the perspectives on kids going away to school.  I think we all agree that it is part of life, and though it is hard at times, we are so happy for them as well.   I did not struggle with my older daughter, because she went to school from home, then decided to go to work.  Then she went back to school.  Then she went to work...you get the picture.  It wasn't until she moved out and all that I felt this emptiness.  I am very close to both of my daughters.

My younger daughter did go away to school, and I was mostly just excited for her but when it was the day of moving her into her dorm, it was very emotional for me.  I didn't show her this...I cried on the way home, lol.  And you know, as with so many kids, at first, they are so happy to be on their own, making their own decisions, etc., that she didn't seem to miss me at all.  Then when things settled down a bit for her, she was always coming home for the weekend, or I would meet her to go to a basketball game on campus.  Then after the first two years, she decided to go to school from home to save money. 

I should add that when I say she went away to school, I mean that she went to Syracuse University and lived on campus.  🙂 That's not far, is it???? lol. 

If any of you get the Chadwicks catalog, there is a ton of great colors for fall in it.  Since there are a lot of basics, I'm going to splurge and order some things this weekend.  Sometimes, you have to get things while you can find them.  I'm rather excited about it, but I could easily order A LOT of things so I have to scale back a bit.  I'm hoping I don't miss out,  I hate it when there is something you love, and you go to order it and it's out of stock or not available.  

I love this, but I'm not sure of the sweater knit.  It looks a bit wonky online, so I am wondering if the pockets will end of sagging?  I can totally see this with a scarf and boots in the fall.

https://www.chadwicks.com/product/patch-pocket-duster-cardi.do?from=Search&cx=0

Because it has been so busy, I haven't had a chance to organize pictures or anything just yet.  Some are on the camera, some on my phone, some on my husband's phone, and I got the link to the pictures we purchased.  They are slowly switching over to all digital.  You can ask for a print, I don't know if there is an added fee or not. 

Here are a couple of fun pictures to start with.  Hopefully I can get back to normal soon.  

By the way, I needed a bit of everything in my wardrobe.  Shorts, cropped jeans, and a lightweight jacket one day.  But it was sunny and pleasant through and through.

930-18191824.jpg

930-18191818.jpg

930-18013990.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone 🙂 I think my anxiety is also with her being so far away and being worried we forget something.  It isn't that far to Walmart though (or order on-line), and I'm sure she can find someone to catch a ride with (we think a friend who is going there will have a car).  I've also discovered some ingenuity or realized I didn't really need what I thought I did, so it will all work out.

Welcome back, Laurie - I loved Halifax when we went a few years ago, sounds like you had a good trip too.

Our Bermuda cruise is in 30 days and I need to re-inventory my wardrobe once K leaves since we share a lot of clothes 😉 

• Like 1

Fun pictures Laurie! I really like that shirt with the denim...IDK if it's the lighting or if you have tried a different hair color? I really like the way it looks in those pictures. Kinda coppery.

pacruise...forgetting something is exactly what my concern is all about because the implications of us forgetting something could be very impactful!

Melody...we were expecting the email to come by the end of this week and it did arrive yesterday. The deposit is down. Now we just need to request the early arrival. I guess most of UL doesn't begin until a week later or more? They have a beginning contract date that is one week after DS' first obligation...so we need to request to move in at least 8-10 days earlier than the contract.

Fun fact for you...for those that don't know...UK beds and USA beds are NOT the same sizes. It's more than having a different name...it's having a different dimension. Fortunately, maybe, the UK single bed is 3" narrower than the USA twin bed. I'm hoping that won't be too much of a pain on the fitted sheet. DS started sleeping on a twin bed at about 14 months? And switched to a queen in Kindergarten? We still have that twin...but have gotten new sheets for it over the years. I know many people buy new for the kids going off to college but I'm wanting DS to take pieces of home with him. He has ended up sleeping on that twin at various times over the years when we have had visitors, etc...so he should still have an affinity for the current sheets, even though they aren't from HIS bed.

DH got up to a medallion status with Delta which means that we should be able to check extra baggage with no fee. This will be very helpful.I have to call Delta to see but since DH and I are on the same ticket, we each may get to check 2 or 3 bags. Woot woot. Very helpful as we will likely need all the carry on luggage to be full of things that can't be checked...like most computer equipment and many electronics...such an adventure.

I'll be feeling much better when we get that visa in our hands...

Looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing more about your trip Laurie!

Oh. I received my new shoes today. I ordered these:

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/lifestyle-shop-women-shoes-lifestyle/womens-wahweap-alw1963p?variationId=025#hero=2

In Rose. Great earth color. This brand is pretty outstanding for me. The room in the toe box with the foot shaped foot bed is just the best thing ever. I've been waiting for a shoe that reads more street, more athleisure and less full on athletic. These fit the bill. I wrote a dissertation for Mom on why I thought she should give them a try... I submitted a review which is currently being reviewed before being published. I took photos of the shoes for the review. I'm going to keep my eye on them and see if a sale or coupon code comes up...I'd like to get the blue ones too.

• Like 1

Ooo both are nice Margaret...I'm leaning toward the blue for you? I'm wondering how well the brown would go if your hair were tending more toward your red coloring. I like them both though...

SO.

We went shopping today. I am seriously pants challenged. I have issues. I found a great pair...I'm really excited. They go with just about every single top that I could call a blouse in my closet. And one that they don't go well with is a style issue, not color. I think these pants are Anthropologies answer to "Sugar Almond."

Pantone-Fashion-Color-Trend-Report-New-Y

4122382010049_026_b14?$a15-pdp-detail-sh

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/pilcro-patch-pocket-bootcut-jeans?category=new-pants&color=026&type=STANDARD

I am LOVING the high waist flare!!! Works really well for me!! I'm so sick of the skinny pant look...which doesn't work well for me AT ALL. So yeah...YAY!

Meanwhile...I did also pick up a pair of ultra stretch denim jeggings from Uniqlo. Fake button, no zipper, no front pockets.

goods_67_415217.jpg?width=380

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-ultra-stretch-denim-leggings-pants-415217.html?dwvar_415217_color=COL67&cgid=women-leggings-pants#start=5&cgid=women-leggings-pants

And I grabbed these as well...they are pull on pants with belt loops and an elastic waist. No button or zipper.

goods_06_421754.jpg?width=380

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-ezy-glen-check-ankle-length-pants-421754.html?dwvar_421754_color=COL06&cgid=women-pants-ezy-ankle-pants#start=4&cgid=women-pants-ezy-ankle-pants

The colors offered in this style doesn't hit the warm tones at all. I think there was a brown pattern, but it had a color running through it that kind of wrecked it for me when thinking about how it would fit into my other clothes. Especially because I'm thinking about my new shoes...and the color in the brown pattern wouldn't have gone with my new shoes at all. I like pattern. What I'm thinking is that these will be the thing to wear with the few solid shirts I have...and maybe even concert tees? They say thick fabric in the description but I thought the fabric was lightweight. Maybe they call it thick because it is bottom weight fabric...but it is lightweight bottom weight fabric...so IDK. Patterns are more forgiving of potential mishaps and so are supposed to be better for travel...I think I'll be taking these to London.

I'll probably take all my new pants to London. 

So now I finally have some real pants. Pants that aren't activewear in any way. I have one other pair of non activewear pants. The one pair of jeans I have that fit are really kind of awful...they aren't high waisted and I'm sorry...they aren't that comfortable on me at this time. So I'm feeling good about these additions to my wardrobe. 

Margaret, I vote for the blue (I know, what a shock!); but for the same reasoning as Anita. 

Anita, love those pants; they look like you. 

Grandpup hiding in the plants...she’s more than doubled in size!  Melody

8E018805-EDC6-4D57-9A83-395E0615169B.jpeg

• Like 1

Cute pants Anita . I have very few pairs of pants except for jeans and black pants . I usually wear knee length shorts most of the year . I have quite a few pairs of the chico stretch shorts .I used to wear capris but I think the long shorts are more flattering.

We are still decluttering . It is amazing how much stuff we have and I go through stuff and weed out all the time .Gary is a pack rat . Our goal is to be done with the decluttering part by Jan, and then shop for the new house .

I'm just chiming in quickly, as I have some errands today.  I hope to post more later!

Margaret, I like both of the glasses.  Myself, I would get a lot more out of the brown than the blue.  However, your wardrobe may lend itself better to the blue.  So if you don't get both, the blue may be the best?

Anita, I am liking those pants.  my wardrobe is much different than yours, just like Sally's is different than both of us.  What we do, where we live...it is so impactful to our clothing.  I just love that warm rusty color.  I actually have a pair of pants in two different rusty tones that I love.  Express often carries some unique colors online, so I wait until the have their buy one, get one half off sale and then add in the coupons they send to me.  I just picked up two pair in earthy tones this week.

Trends are one thing, but what looks good on us is another.  I have skinny jeans, but I don't really like them for dress pants for work.  I do have a few that would probably be classified as skinny ankle pants, but I find that they skim the leg rather than stick to it, and I feel better.  I have yet to find nice dress pants that fit me that way and run past the ankle or at least to what I would call normal length.  The reason hat matters is that I have a tough time with shoes, and not everything looks good together.  

It is interesting because you mentioned having one style of shirt that would match your new pants, but the styles didn't work together.  I find the same thing with pants and shoes and it has been the biggest current issue in my wardrobe.  I have ordered about 6 pairs of shoes from Zappos lately, and they all went back.  At least at this time of the year, I have wedge sandals that look okay with ankle pants but come cooler weather, I'm stuck.

I am very much a uniform person, which is a phrase that Margaret mentioned one day when we were discussing clothing.  For that reason, I sometimes tend to have either gaps in my wardrobe, or what looks like too many things.  For example, I sorted my pants today in the closet.  two pair of cropped pull on pants.  One pair of cropped business casual (when I want to look a little nicer - not for work) one pair of khakis in a slim style.  Then there are 4 pairs of barely boot pants from Express (love this styling - great compromise for when you don't want a skinny look, but you don't want a flare leg either) then the normal weight year round barely boot or similar styling.  You get the picture.

I have a pair of what I'll call cargo joggers from Loft Outlet, then a pair of athleisure pants from Athleta.  Sorry, I can't remember how they describe the style!

I am finding that even though I have a ways to go until retirement, I'm not wanting to buy work clothes the way I once did.  I spend so much time at my desk, I swear no one even knows what I wore on a given day.  Yet, it affects me.  How do I feel?  

I can easily look at things I have and say "I wear these a lot, these sometimes, these once in a while, and these not at all."  Then I try to analyze those last two categories.  Why are they even in my closet?  And do I wear those same brown pants a lot because I'm bypassing that other pair I never wear?  Would I be better off getting rid of them and replacing them with something I do wear and not feeling like I'm wearing the same thing over and over?

Wow, so much for a brief post!  But I like your pants choices, Anita.  BTW, the trend for high waist is something I have to avoid.  I'm short waisted, so it doesn't work well for me.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, Anita Latte said:

Fun pictures Laurie! I really like that shirt with the denim...IDK if it's the lighting or if you have tried a different hair color? I really like the way it looks in those pictures. Kinda coppery.

pacruise...forgetting something is exactly what my concern is all about because the implications of us forgetting something could be very impactful!

Melody...we were expecting the email to come by the end of this week and it did arrive yesterday. The deposit is down. Now we just need to request the early arrival. I guess most of UL doesn't begin until a week later or more? They have a beginning contract date that is one week after DS' first obligation...so we need to request to move in at least 8-10 days earlier than the contract.

Fun fact for you...for those that don't know...UK beds and USA beds are NOT the same sizes. It's more than having a different name...it's having a different dimension. Fortunately, maybe, the UK single bed is 3" narrower than the USA twin bed. I'm hoping that won't be too much of a pain on the fitted sheet. DS started sleeping on a twin bed at about 14 months? And switched to a queen in Kindergarten? We still have that twin...but have gotten new sheets for it over the years. I know many people buy new for the kids going off to college but I'm wanting DS to take pieces of home with him. He has ended up sleeping on that twin at various times over the years when we have had visitors, etc...so he should still have an affinity for the current sheets, even though they aren't from HIS bed.

DH got up to a medallion status with Delta which means that we should be able to check extra baggage with no fee. This will be very helpful.I have to call Delta to see but since DH and I are on the same ticket, we each may get to check 2 or 3 bags. Woot woot. Very helpful as we will likely need all the carry on luggage to be full of things that can't be checked...like most computer equipment and many electronics...such an adventure.

I'll be feeling much better when we get that visa in our hands...

Looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing more about your trip Laurie!

Oh. I received my new shoes today. I ordered these:

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/lifestyle-shop-women-shoes-lifestyle/womens-wahweap-alw1963p?variationId=025#hero=2

In Rose. Great earth color. This brand is pretty outstanding for me. The room in the toe box with the foot shaped foot bed is just the best thing ever. I've been waiting for a shoe that reads more street, more athleisure and less full on athletic. These fit the bill. I wrote a dissertation for Mom on why I thought she should give them a try... I submitted a review which is currently being reviewed before being published. I took photos of the shoes for the review. I'm going to keep my eye on them and see if a sale or coupon code comes up...I'd like to get the blue ones too.

Those shoes are really cute - I'll have to see if my running store carries them.  It is amazing how resourceful we can be when needed, so even if our kids forget something they will likely find a work-around.  We did talk to a friend a few years ahead of K for advice on what to bring that we might not have thought of or if there was anything she brought and regretted.  She said she really did use everything she brought, and wished they had a small broom and dustpan for the room.  They had a swiffer and access to a vacuum, but still had times a dustpan would be nice.  I hadn't thought of that either and will include it in our cleaning products. 

On 8/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, MJC said:

Anita, great shoes! I would have trouble deciding between those three colors.

Help me ladies, I'm trying to decide if I want these in brown or blue:

https://www.readingglasses.com/jonathan-adler-312-bifocal-reading-sunglasses/?color=Aqua

Another vote for blue as long as the grey lenses aren't an issue vs. brown lenses.

Glasses update... I decided on the brown. Here's why.

Sharon had a good point about the lens color. Gray is better if you're on the water because it eliminates a lot of glare and allows better color perception in the sun. But except for the rare times I'm snorkeling, I don't wear my contacts in the water. So, while it is a factor I considered for a bit, it's not really relevant for general daily wear which is what I'm looking for.

My everyday clear glasses have blue in them that perks up the blue in my eyes. But with sunglasses my eyes won't show, so not a factor in my decision.

Since the blue ones have a lot of black in them, they might not look as good if I wear them with reds, purples, and browns as the brown ones will. So brown would be a more versatile color for me. I'm not really looking for a statement pair, more something practical that will let me read with my lenses in so I can see my phone, for example. While I like the blue ones a lot, I think I would tend to want to match them to my clothes, which I don't want to feel tied to. With red, I would wear a red lip and feel put together, but I'm not sure how I would deal with blue.

If my sunglasses are a bit of a match to my hair, they don't stand out and thus compete with what I'm wearing. I like the orange tones in the brown ones. They might pick up the highlights in my hair from summer and look awesome.

Now that I'm not working on a computer so much, I'm wearing my lenses more, so I'm excited to have a proper pair of sunglasses to replace my $20 TJMaxx ones that I've only been wearing to drive. If we go out to eat, DH has to read the menu to me.  :D

• Like 1