All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

22 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I finished packing for our trip yesterday and including snorkeling gear we have 1 large bag for the two of us, 1 small roller each, and one personal bag each (backpack/beach bag).  That's only for 6 days, but I'm pretty sure we took an extra large bag on our last 7 day.  If we weren't planning to work out during the cruise or snorkel on shore I think we could skip the large bag.

We’re going for 18 days. I refuse to send my clothing to a ship laundry (hottest water & hotter dryer). I have enough trouble with shrinkage on a cruise!  11 day cruise then 7 days in Hawaii. 

• Like 1

We leave Saturday morning at oh dark really early (4 am). Yesterday, late afternoon I broke a crown right off eating a piece of lettuce!  Called our (new) dentist, He answered asked if I was in pain, I said no, just looks awful. He chuckled & said if you can wait till Thursday morning I can fix it completely for you. Think I’m going to like this new guy!  Melody

• Like 1

I lost my only crown last year when my root broke. Soon I'm getting an implant. Sally I didn't know there was self-repair for crowns.

Safe travels everyone! I always enjoy talk of packing strategies. 

I'm just back from FL and I'll share some pics soon... it was really fun and I had an absolutely lovely day visiting Anita.

Not Anita and me. 🙂  This is at AK.

47566320_2019-09-1812_48_43.thumb.jpg.8eca79896ae164018a4895e29ae5fafd.jpg

Edited by MJC
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Last year I knocked off a crown with a water pick . I think I am going to buy a dental repair kit for trips because I have a ton of crowns . Have a great time !

Sally, I’m pretty sure that’s how I did this one this is one over an implant so important that I get it fixed

Edited by awhfy

I did some shopping in FL. Here is a sweater I got at Steinmart:

https://www.steinmart.com/product/asymmetrical+patchwork+print+tunic+71833750.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=5&refType=&from=fn&selectedOption=100156&ecList=7&ecCategory=100325

And this cute dress from LOFT outlet that I'm going to wear this Saturday for dinner at Scarpetta:

https://outlet.loft.com/garden-roll-sleeve-shirtdress/506044?skuId=27901007&defaultColor=9036&catid=cat3950032

And this tie-back top that is actually a very muted dark taupe, lovely IRL:

https://outlet.loft.com/floral-tie-back-shell/508324?skuId=28087908&defaultColor=4206&catid=cat3950030

And finally this scarf that I think will be pretty with my dark orange coat:

https://outlet.loft.com/garden-scarf/517678?skuId=28254249&defaultColor=0846&catid=cat3950062

I love the Florida vacation-ey colors, but it was nice to see so many muted things, if you looked for them they're there.

• Like 2

Margaret, I love the scarf! I think I have one that’s very similar

News from dentist (after over 4 hours in the chair). Well it looks like we’ll have to remove both of your implants!  I have insurance; however, my cost will be about $6K, ouch!  So for now I have a temporary crown & a dental repair kit. His comment on the dental repair kit, remember less is more...sigh. Melody

Hello!  I've been so busy, I have not had a chance to stop in for a bit.

Melody, have a wonderful vacation.  I hope your dental issues won't interfere with your trip at all.  It all sounds painful as well as expensive.  

Margaret, I'm glad you had a good time in Florida.  It sounds like you got some cute things!  I ordered a scarf that was backordered on Chadwick's, and I understand it has been shipped.  I'm excited to get it in, and hoping the black I saw is minimal. I love finding scarves that aren't too heavy and hopefully not too seasonal looking.  I have a few that I really love because I can go so much more out of them when they are not just for fall.  

Sally, I know Florida doesn't warrant much fall or winter clothing.  Do you find the color selection there in clothes you can wear with your climate?  I was just thinking about how I am always looking for good choices for summer and spring that are in earthy colors.  

I think I mentioned that I got some great things from Chadwick's previously, and I was thinking about the layering tops a bit and what I can get that can be worn year round.  

I've been just crazy busy at work, feeling very stressed and tired with 11 or 12 hour days.  I'm hoping things get better.  In the meantime, we are anxiously awaiting our grandson.  While her due date is 3 weeks away, the doctor told her last week that his lungs and heart are fully developed, and he is in position and ready.  At her appointment today, they told her she is considered full term, and she is 2 cm dilated.  She is not in active labor or anything yet.  If she goes to her due date, I think he will be a good sized boy.  If it is in the next week, Krysyn will probably be around 7 and a half pounds.  We've all written down our predictions, so it will be fun to see how close we are.

Did I mention when our next cruise is?  We have a long wait.  It is on Independence of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale in November of 2020.  We actually leave the Monday after Thanksgiving.  I wasn't sure if that was ideal or not, but we will make it work.  I think the only thing I need to figure out is when we do our big decorating for Christmas.  it's usually that Sunday.  I have over a year to figure it out though!

• Like 2

Margaret, love all your shopping “finds” especially the scarf. So much fin to come home with new clothes. Stein mart is a fun store-so many choices. They are really good about their email coupons too. Ours is located in a center that doesn’t  have any other stores that I like so I just forget to stop in and see what’s new.  

18 hours ago, MJC said:

OMG Melody, I never heard of that. How do they even do that? I thought implants bonded eventually with bone tissue growth. I assume that will have to wait until after Hawaii??

After Hawaii definitely, it’ll be pretty major surgery, new bone grafts & all. The titanium is reacting like an allergy. I’ll likely wait till after our MardiGras cruise in February if I can!

Melody, This sounds pretty complicated. I didn’t realize that it involved replacing the post too. I thought you were referring to just the tooth part. I can see why you hope to postpone until after your Feb cruise. 

Wishing you you a very happy anniversary cruise. 

Sharon

On 9/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, laurspag said:

l.  

Sally, I know Florida doesn't warrant much fall or winter clothing.  Do you find the color selection there in clothes you can wear with your climate?  I was just thinking about how I am always looking for good choices for summer and spring that are in earthy colors.  

This year JJill had a lot of fall colors in their summer clothes so I was good .Now is a weird period where it is fall just not here so I get really tired of my summer things but it s not cool enough for other choices .

1 hour ago, Sailor_Sally said:

This year JJill had a lot of fall colors in their summer clothes so I was good .Now is a weird period where it is fall just not here so I get really tired of my summer things but it s not cool enough for other choices .

Sally, same here. Weather says “wear summer clothes” but I’m just so tired of them and would love to wear some of my cooler weather things. I don’t know about your area but where I live it will be summer for at least another month, if not a bit longer 😡!

Sharon

Maybe a little late...Bon Voyage Melody! I really hope that all the recent dental complications don't interfere with your ability to enjoy your cruise. I hope you are able to get through your February cruise too...it sounds major...I know nothing about such things but can only imagine the restrictions that would be placed on your food...and that would be no fun on a cruise. If all the work is for a long term durability, hopefully the short term solution will let you get through the holidays. I hope you aren't in pain.

I think pacruise took a vacation...but I can't recall where it was.

Sally and Sharon...I think I may be the odd man out...I am loving this extended summer weather...it has cooled off just a touch...but still...very much enjoying the extended summery vacation like weather...glad that it is still around after returning from our London trip to drop off DS.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Sally, same here. Weather says “wear summer clothes” but I’m just so tired of them and would love to wear some of my cooler weather things. I don’t know about your area but where I live it will be summer for at least another month, if not a bit longer 😡!

Sharon

I know ! I have to keep myself from buying clothes I never wear just because I want a change of season . It will get slightly cooler in November but then all the snowbirds return and wear brightly colored summer clothes . It gets so confusing .

Sally, I’m happy to have found someone who also isn’t fond of wearing summer clothes year around! I think we might be in the minority, however. I love fall and winter and the clothing that goes with those two seasons. I don’t mind the cold and enjoy wearing clothes meant for those temps. However, I don’t get a lot of opportunity to really “winterize” where I live. We don’t have “snowbirds” here but we do have many who like wearing summer cloths even on chiller days. They just pay put a jacket over their shorts and tank top. Looks a bit odd but to each his own.

Anita, you are certainly in the majority, at least as far as I can see. But, as I said, to each his own. Hoping you had a great trip to London and looking forward to hearing about it. 

Sharon

DH started his conference in Miami Beach today so I have some quiet time to share some recent photos. I just watched the Norwegian Breakaway depart from Miami, headed to Bermuda, I think. It definitely turned north. We arrived as Jerry was skirting the Bahamas, so we had 25-30 mph winds until late today, should be down to 10-15 tomorrow. Makes the beach uncomfortable,  but the surf is quite dramatic. There are riptide warnings so I won't try ocean swimming. At least today the torrential rains are gone.

The original plan was Orlando for a week, a week at home, and then 5 days here. Because Dorian pushed everything back a week, I ended up with a week in FL, followed by only 2 days at home, before I came here for five days. So, there is lots of overlap with my packing, which was fairly frantic:

Mpacking.jpg.4ff115b649e89204fcb57ff2a6e9537e.jpg

Because it's Miami, I had a totally cute plan for the pool with the fancy sun hat and my matching LE swimsuits and a pair of Coach flipflops. The wind has been way too strong for the cute hat. 🤔 Even though it's hot,it's been cloudy and breezy, so quite tolerable.

I wore the exact same navy travel outfit and brought the blue shorts and tan skort again. Fewer tshirts. I added the black and ivory tribal top because it's easy to dress up with jewelry to wear with the skort for dinner. The unpleasant part of traveling with DH on a business trip is that I always have to be prepared to run into his colleagues,  so I prefer to look a bit more pulled together than on the usual beach vacation. Worth the price, though! Its really beautiful here!!

I also brought two sets of workout clothes. I had a fun Zumba class yesterday, went to the gym this morning then walked along the boardwalk,  and have another Zumba tomorrow. And I have the two swing dresses which are great for lounging around.

Last night we had date night dinner at the Fontainebleau -- amazing - so I wore the new LOFT dress I posted earlier and the gold leather blingy sandals in this photo on the left, which I love but debated about bringing because they're getting that worn look. Wouldn't you know, first one and then the other broke on the walk home!! I stuck them together with BANDAIDS and made it to our hotel where they went in the trash.

The Fontainebleau is quite a scene. I was at the low end of dressy for a Saturday night there.  As we were leaving and the club crowd was arriving, it was great people watching. And the sparkly clothes!  The Ferraris and Lambos! The stilettos! So fun, but so glad we don't stay there.

• Like 1

Margaret...it's kind of a bummer to have travel so close together...hope your weather does improve. Sounds like you are still having a lovely getaway. And it sounds like you could stand to go shopping for some new blingy sandals? Should be plenty of opportunities down there!

I enjoy all the layering of cooler weather clothing...and especially the shoes. Our living situation in Winston was such that I was just so cold for so long. The layout of our apartment and the industrial windows...I have a room thermometer for temperature and humidity and our room would regularly be 58 in the mornings...and it wouldn't get much above 65 if the sun didn't shine that day...and the winter seemed to last a long time. The main area of the apt would be 72...and DS would be roasting back in his windowless "cave" with his computer and tv heating up the room to the 80s. It really was an awful apartment for trying to heat...or cool. But the cold weather was the problem.

So after two years of that...yes, I'm not sorry at all this year to have the extended summer...and time to really enjoy it after all the stress of getting DS overseas has passed.

Speaking of...

Our trip to London was supposed to begin in Orlando, connect in ATL, and then finally arrive at Heathrow. With Dorian being such a slow moving hurricane...the uncertainty of it all did cause problems. MCO had announced on Friday that they were shutting down the airport after business on Sunday...later that turned into shutting down after business on Monday...and I did see that all the Delta flights from MCO to ATL were canceled on Tuesday, which was our original day of departure. The day Margaret was supposed to come down too.

There was no way that we could bump up our flight from MCO to ATL...sold out completely. Fortunately, DH has some status with Delta...not a high one but silver medallion has it perks...and the special phone number to call is probably one of the best when you are dealing with such a situation. We managed to get all our tickets to originate with the connecting flight...so now we just had to get ourselves up to ATL.

Not knowing what the storm situation would ultimately be...we decided that leaving Grace, our special little girl kitty, in any sort of boarding situation wasn't a chance we wanted to take...relying on people and places that may be dealing with the aftermath of whatever storm situation...and so we decided to drive up to Huntsville where I two of DS's sisters live. We called and invited ourselves over for a couple nights...and our kitty. I'm so grateful to have family.

So Saturday was spent packing DS and otherwise readying the apartment for our absence as well as the possibility of electricity loss and an inch or two of flood water...just in case. I think I already shared, but for the sake of memory...DS was packed up into two large duffles (the ones we took to Alaska) and an completely impractical oversized piece of luggage. This thing weighs about 20 pounds empty...it's so easy to overpack. But it has a hanging fold out section...good for DS's 3-piece suit and 2 dress shirts. And the hard sides are good for shoes, some toiletries, etc. We did an excellent pack...the thing weighed exactly 50 pounds at check in.

Something to note...if you happen to have silver medallion status or higher...you get an extra checked bag above the normal checked bag allowance. Now DS was on a different ticket because his return flight isn't until December. But when we made the changes to the tickets, we were informed that if we didn't check in prior to arriving at the airport, if we all checked in at the same time, then DS would also be able to share in having the extra baggage perk, even though he was on a separate ticket. We were told that the perk was extended to everyone in DH's traveling party.  As it was, we only checked 4 bags...so it didn't matter. DH and I checked our carry on sized bag because we had enough other carry ons to deal with.

We each had our personal item...and then, I had a the junior motherlode eBag backpack that ended up holding a bunch of odds and ends that had just been added to the car when we hit the road. I grabbed that backpack empty and tossed it in the car as a just incase thing, and we needed it. DH was dragging along the ultra heavy, filled with computer equipment, electronics, and some books roller bag, and DS had his acoustic guitar in a hard case. I had really thought all the wires and everything would require personal screening at the TSA...but we had packed everything in Ziplock bags...and DH had done a bit of unpacking and spreading of contents...so we actually breezed through security.

We had had a great little visit with family. The two sisters live on the same street...about 6 houses apart. I think it was a fortunate turn of events. We hadn't been out to AL to see their new digs...and the young cousins have grown a lot in 2 years. I think I posted a bit about my reaction to being in a typical suburban house and subdivision...I'm totally over it. But seeing family was good. And having everything sorted for DS early to just be able to enjoy a couple days before our flight was so nice.

It's a bit of a haul from Huntsville to ATL...and there is really no good way to drive between the two...go through small towns and small roads to drive direct...still some small roads/towns on the more interstate route. The possibility for a hold up is real...and so we allowed plenty of time for the drive and check in and security. So we had a full 3 hours before our flight when we landed on the other side of TSA...and we headed straight for the Delta Sky Lounge in Terminal F...which is the one with the outside patio. This is an excellent Sky Lounge...and even crowded, we were able to find a nice little conversation group of chairs. The food selection was really good.

Time passed relatively quickly...and soon enough we needed to head out to Terminal E and our flight. We had purchased our tickets with miles...but we had paid to upgrade our seats to Comfort+. Our plane had the 2-4-2 arrangement in Comfort+, which isn't ideal for a party of 3. DS had the window, DH the aisle next and I was across the aisle in the 4 seat part. I was totally blessed in that when we had looked again at our tickets on Friday to make sure our seat assignments were all still as they should be after making changes to our tickets...the two middle seats between me and the other taken aisle seat were available. And lo and behold...someone sat in the middle seat next to the other aisle person...but BAM, doors were secure for departure and I still had an empty seat next to me! So glad...as I wasn't looking forward at all to trying to nap next to a stranger.

The flight attendants did have a slightly concerned look when seeing the guitar case...but it was squeezed into the first class closet. 

I can't say that I was particularly stressed out...it would be more accurate to say that I had been living in a state of heightened agitation for quite some time. An overly long period of high alert, I suppose. I thought about taking photos of my travel outfit...and thought I didn't want to see myself really...so no photos BUT...what I wore for our overnight flight.

I picked up these pants on a season end clearance a couple years ago:

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/womens/pants/mova-zip/

The zippers may or may not have issues with TSA. They are worth the hassle though. These pants have the comfort of yoga pants but more functionality with all the pockets. And the fit is a bit looser than yoga pants too...so a little more appropriate for street. I have a burgundy colored concert tee from the Foo Fighters...it's always exciting when I see a good color for me at a concert...and it goes so well with the same scarf that I took last time...which I had in my personal bag with a wine colored cardigan sweater. I was wearing my most comfortable Altra shoes: 

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/womens-shoes-lifestyle/vali-alw1884a?variationId=224#hero=0

I had my hair in a not too messy bun. These are the best things ever for me...I use three of them to keep my top knot in place:

https://www.target.com/p/goody-simple-styles-mini-spin-pins-multicolored-3ct/-/A-13623301?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Beauty%2BPersonal+Care%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9011805&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=CjwKCAjw2qHsBRAGEiwAMbPoDAzZslFBB0MYOIFqFD9ZumWs33qqJL7JGl_TUaciCTK-uo747RAjTRoCypMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You just kind of screw them into your hair and they actually work. Top knot was definitely a good call for the overnight...got my hair contained but not in the way of any potential sleeping position.

My third sleeping position was successful. I ended up wedging my head against the empty seat back next to me. Mine was tilted fully back and the other was upright so it made a good head rest. I could kind of work myself into something of a long diagonal position and for this back sleeper...that worked. DH said I had a smug look on my face while I was sleeping.

DS said it was the worst sleep ever for him on this flight. He normally sleeps awesome in any form of transportation. But this one was so loud...and he doesn't have noise canceling headphones. Being at the window may be a plus for sleeping position...you can lean against the plane...but our plane position was quite noisy. He said he could hear all the workings of the wings and the plane itself. The bubble was much much quieter. I agree with that...the bubble area, being raised up and further from the working areas of the plane itself...the engines, etc....and having fewer passengers was straight up a much quieter place to be. After being in Comfort+, I would say that I might choose the bubble over Comfort+ for the noise level. I guess noise canceling headphones would make a big difference though.

Hours later we landed in Heathrow. Heathrow is large. So much walking. We managed to get through C&I...though both my men chastised me for questioning the border patrol woman. We had issues...we were being directed in one direction by an airport worker because of DS's Visa...and then pulled back out of that line into the line we were in before by an actual C&I worker. I tried to ask her a question and she took it as me trying to tell her how to do her job...to which I was responding that I certainly didn't and was just trying to understand why I was being herded in such a confusing way...and the guys are like, don't make the woman mad! OMG.

In the end it wasn't a big deal. You just go past the kiosk into the assistance needed line behind the kiosks...

More and more walking...

All the bags arrived...*celebration*

We had sorted how to move the bags without assistance...but sadly had forgotten the gloves for DH. He was carrying the duffles...and he could have really used the padded work gloves.

We did pay for the Heathrow Express. You can take the Tube from Heathrow, which costs much less but the tube isn't quite as luggage friendly as the rail train. You save money by purchasing online...and you can save money buying more than one ticket at a time. Even a couple can save over a single. I added up all the different ways we could purchase tickets and ultimately, it was best for DH and I to have the couples fare for round trip tickets...and DS to have a single way. I'll get him the round trip ticket for him homeward bound travel over the holidays.

We finally arrived at DS's hall. We had requested an early arrival...as anyone attending RAM would have to do because it starts earlier than most UL schools. But we arrived before the check in time of 2 pm...going straight there from our air travel. Fortunately, they had a room set aside for storing anyone's luggage. We made a rather daunting pile off to the side and then took off to grab some food and coffee...we had a couple hours before we could officially check into DS's room.

I think I'll take a break in the story here...I hope this isn't too boring!

• Like 2

We are back from our "magical, mystery cruise" - it was booked as a 6 day cruise with 3 days at Bermuda but ended up as one day at Charleston.  I survived the rocky seas fine, but suffering some mal de debarquement.  Carnival was generous and gave a future cruise credit in the amount of our cruise fare, and we knew booking during hurricane season that anything could happen.

Everyone's finds look great.  I hope Melody is enjoying her cruise and Laurie's daughter and grandbaby are healthy and comfortable.  Anita, so glad to hear you made it to London with DS.  Is he getting settled in well now?

I'm glad it is finally fall (my favorite season and foliage is so pretty here), but also grateful for mild temperatures.

Have a great week everyone!

Anita, I find there is always some new tip to be gleaned from a good trip report. Not necessarily the ones where people report on everything they eat and do from dawn to dusk, but ones like yours where unexpected or unanticipated difficulties are talked about and helpful tips are shared. I am always looking to optimize the function of how we travel so the enjoyment part can be enhanced as much as possible. 😁

I have a big blind spot, which is beach cover-ups. I so rarely need one, I usually make do with a little dress most of the time. Here in Miami its too hot for that so I got this cheap flowy one. There are inexpensive "surf" shops everywhere. Do I like blue? LOL

hat01.thumb.jpg.8bebeedd760b9b05fd06468c461e71fb.jpg

Today it isn't windy so I'm sporting my new sun hat and boy do I love it. It is great for reading in the sun and shades all of my face. The back has a cutout where my bun is with three tiny black bows above:

hat02.thumb.jpg.fdc7bb5fa9325a19a93f1cce61bd2279.jpg

Sunday morning I went to the gym and then walked about 2 miles on the boardwalk. I got a lunch to eat by the pool and spent the afternoon with a good mystery and some swimming. This big guy surprised everyone by darting from the bushes to the water and then freaked when he spotted all the people:

iguana01.jpg.1a5ff949a31c74beb958213a18da1778.jpgiguana02.jpg.d5cffdd61fbececdadbd84b197f87853.jpg

That night we just had dinner in the hotel. Sure enough, we were stopped several times in the evening by colleagues wanting to chat with DH. I wore that green sleeveless dress again with some coral colored jewelry to dress it up a bit that I got in Orlando at LOFT. I'm disappointed that the necklace broke already.

• Like 2