All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Love the jacket and the shoes . Also really like Laurie's coat . I have been in shopping withdrawal since there is nothing to buy for this odd season in Florida . I did finally break down and buy two new tops from JJIll and a cropped sweater . Our winter is so short that anything I buy for it gets so little use it lasts a few seasons . The worst of the pneumonia is over but I am so sluggish .

17 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Love the jacket and the shoes . Also really like Laurie's coat . I have been in shopping withdrawal since there is nothing to buy for this odd season in Florida . I did finally break down and buy two new tops from JJIll and a cropped sweater . Our winter is so short that anything I buy for it gets so little use it lasts a few seasons . The worst of the pneumonia is over but I am so sluggish .

It really seems to be dragging on for you Sally. Have you gone back to doctor?  

I get the stitches out today. I’m looking forward to chewing (anything!!!). the upside is I’m down 11 lbs. Melody

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Thanks Melody ,I have a lung disease so if anything hits me it hits me hard . I am getting better just slowly .

Sally, hope you feel better soon. It's so hard to be patient, isn't it?

Have fun gaining the pounds back .

Ha ha that's the best part!!

• Like 1

OMG Melody...I hope you are feeling okay! And better and better...and that you can enjoy what I am sure will be the baking marathon that you seem to have every Thanksgiving with the great variety of pies! The good news is no worries about weight gain with holiday indulgences!

Sally...hope you are feeling better and better too. I'm enjoying the bite in the air in the morning...hope it is agreeing with you. Also hope that this hasn't completely derailed your timeline and goals for dealing with your stuff and downsizing.

We are in the midst of a big kickoff of diversion...

Tomorrow...CONCERT!!!

Sunday...CONCERT!!!

Thanksgiving Day...DH holiday from work...still working on plans.

Friday...Nov 29-Dec 1...CRUISE!!!

Dec 4...DS returns for almost an one month stay!!!!

Dec 5...Family Thanksgiving Celebration!!

I scheduled a Flowrider lesson for DH and I on Friday at 7:15 PM. Hopefully, there will be at least 2 others signed up because you need 4 for the class. DH is a snowboarder...though it has been years...and he expressed interested in learning how to surf...so we'll see how this goes. I'm excited that Mariner got a Flowrider with the AmpUp however long ago.

Also excited that there is a bonafide Starbucks on Mariner!

It's a short 3-night cruise...so two port days in-between embarkation and debark. Nassau and CocoCay (private RCCL beach).

I think we'll visit the distillery in Nassau for the free tour and tastings. Maybe contribute to the local economy with a purchase.😁😎 I think that may be our focus this time. 5 ships in port that day so should be a ton of people crawling all around. I'll see what else is along that path that might be of interest. The distillery is open 10-6 so no real rush that day.

Debating doing the balloon on the private island. I'd really like to do a balloon at some point...and the pricing is decent for the Mariner sailing. For some things, RCCL has priced the island activities based on the ship...so there are cheaper prices for the Mariner sailing vs. our Harmony sailing in Feb. So wondering if I want to take advantage of that or just have a spend free day...maybe a drink or two. Still debating.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that the thought of volunteering on Thanksgiving Day didn't occur to me in time...but it didn't. I tried to find an opportunity to help but it was too late. You need to think of that well in advance because most charities will vet the volunteers AND they prefer to have more experienced people on the big days. Makes sense...hard to have a bunch of newbies trying to help out on one of the busiest days of the year.

So still contemplating what DH and I will do on Thanksgiving Day. Some people on our roll call are going to Universal on Thanksgiving Day. I do wonder if hitting a park would be more or less busy on such a holiday? IDK. 

Thinking that I will be packing pretty minimally. Funny how people have different thoughts about things. I'm reading about some people that go all out on the 3-night cruises with their wardrobes (not necessarily fancy) because the cruise is so short, they can bring "more" on the cruise. Me...I'm wondering how little I can get away with! Kind of like our Fort Walton Beach trip...

Also...haven't ever cruised this time of year before...can't quite get my head wrapped around packing summer clothes...so wondering what I will really want. I recall being rather chilled on our early March cruise on Mariner. Here's the same ship again! I recall wearing my hoodie a lot more than I thought I would...and that was a last minute pack...so...

• Like 1

OK...just read about the only production craft brewery in the Bahamas...Pirate Republic Brewing Company. For $20, you tour the brewery, have a beer flight, a hand-made pretzel, a decal, and a discount in the store. The tours are only at 11:30 AM and 2:00 PM. So this just might put a timeline on our day...

Because we'll have to do the free distillery tour first...

Because you know what they say...

Beer before liquor...never sicker

Liquor before beer...never fear

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anita, we normally cruise this time of year. Weather should be warm, not brutal hot, but now that you’re a Floridian you might find it chilly 😂😂.  We used to live in FL. The Disney & Universal parks will be mobbed on Thanksgiving week!  If you haven’t been to the Space Center it might be a good time to go.

the pie extravaganza starts on Tuesday. Blueberry, cherry, pecan (& chocolate pecan), French silk, apple, pumpkin (2 kinds). I’ll also make tapioca (with pineapple & heavy whipped cream). Melody

It’s funny you say that because I had been feeling so cold for so long in NC...our bedroom would be so cold...I mean waking up in a 55 degree room is just no fun. The heat of FL was so welcome. One of our 4Runners is black and we’d get inside and I’d be like Ahhhhh. DH would relent with ac for a bit so I could bask in the heat. 

We we had an evening in the 60s and DH and I hit up a place with nice outside seating so we could enjoy the cool...and I was okay. We had to pick an area away from the outside heaters...omg they had them turned so high it was like sitting under a broiler if you were close. It’ll take some thought to figure out where I’m at with wardrobe choices.

Space Center is an interesting thought...

• Like 1

I have never been on a three day cruise but for a four or five day cruise I pack in a carry on .Usually at this time of year it will be warm but cool at night . For short cruises I do dress up light . I usually wear a sundress or pants and a top with jewelry .

My daughter is coming for Thanksgiving and my grandson and my son in law are gluten sensitive so I am cooking a gluten free Thanksgiving .

• Like 1

I was gluten free for one year back in GA. Now I am "gluten light" and often choose to avoid gluten...

I did the crust several times, the best crust that I made was with the Glutino AP Flour...and using it in my normal pie crust recipe. The secret is that you have to roll the crust between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Then you can peel the top layer off and use the paper with the crust stuck to it to flip the crust over onto the pie pan and then peel that paper off. And then you push the crust into the pie pan. The crust will break up easily with each bite and will have a tendency to break down into crumbs but the flavor was there for the pumpkin and pecan pies that my family makes.

The Glutino AP Flour also worked well for making the roux for gravy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sally, we aren't GF but I often use cornstarch in my gravy instead of flour - just a thought.  If you have bread stuffing be sure not to stuff the bird 😉 I've heard of people not thinking about that when preparing GF for others.

Anita, I like your crust trick.  I would do that with regular too (except I'm lazy and often do pre-made crust 😱) . Your cruise sounds wonderful!  I'm heading out next week to pick up Daughter ❤️ Have a great visit with your son in December.

Melody, your pies sound great - DH would be in heaven.  Since I'm trying to keep us reasonably healthy we will just have a semi-homemade pecan (I'm make the filling but cheat on the crust) and pumpkin sold by some friends as a fundraiser.

• Like 1

I bought gluten free stuffing and I already do cornstarch . We are skipping pies and opting for ice cream . My daughter, son in law and we are nor fussy .Just glad to be together .After one month of pneumonia when I was starting to feel better I had a relapse last week so more antibiotics and steroids and I feel I am finally on the road to recovery .Yeah !

Edited by Sailor_Sally
  • Like 2

Pacruise, drive safe on your road trip. Storms look nasty

Sally, glad the second hound of antibiotics are doing their job. I have a really hard time with steroids. They make me unbearable to be around (& I’m normally a pretty sunny personality). Have a great visit with your daughter & family. 

this is what you get when you clean out under the stairs!  I have enough yarn for about 15 lap robes for the VA Hospital...it’ll keep me busy this winter. Melody

20CE0D55-1188-48D3-845C-4E2F4FDA1CAA.jpeg

• Like 1

Sally...hope that recovery keeps going and you can enjoy Thanksgiving!

yes...pacruise...drive safe! Hope you have a nice visit with your returning student. I imagine it might feel a bit like a teaser until the longer visit for the winter break. 

I’m feeling so fortunate to not have stress about Thanksgiving this year. Weird but true...not that I’ve stressed too much in recent years. I’ve had some really horrible family gatherings at the holidays and so I’m not sorry at all to be isolated for Thanksgiving and flying solo this year. Well...solo couple!

Gonna check in for our cruise today. I keep forgetting to do that. And think about my travel wardrobe.

• Like 1

All right! All checked in with the app! Ready to go!

Here's what we are looking forward to for sure:

Friday. Day 1. Embarkation

7:15 PM Flowrider Lesson (if minimum participants)

Saturday. Day 2. Nassau

9 AM gangway opens. 

John Watlings Distillery. Opens at 10 AM.

Pirate Republic Brewing Company. Tour 2 PM.

9 PM all aboard.

Sunday. Day 3. CocoCay

8 AM gangway open.

5 PM all aboard.

Monday. Day 4. Debarkation.

Early...self assist...and sadly, DH will go to work.

Our concert last night was awesome. I almost hate to admit...but we had lawn tickets and during the Switchfoot set...I was noticing how lax security was at the entrance to the seats. Sadly, there weren't too many people in attendance and there were wide expanses of empty seats. So there was NO guard at the entrance directly in front of us. So we grabbed our backpack with our important stuff...and headed into the seats. We wound our way down through the maze of aisles avoiding security guards until we hit the pit entrance where a security guard was busy talking to some people and so we slipped right past her and into the crowd in the pit! We were 5 people deep away from the stage! Super duper awesome!!

I love Switchfoot...they are a Christian band that made it into the main stream. Really good, a band that I've wanted to see live for a while. The Killers were KILLER. LOL.

Going back for more tomorrow...schedule starts at 10AM. Need to look at the early bands to see if there are any we are really interested in. The parking lot is pretty decent with a few trees...and they let you park wherever you want. So we are thinking to go early and tailgate in the lot. Bring the camping grill and cook and eat lunch. Bring chairs, etc. The amphitheater lets you bring in one gallon Ziplock bags of food and up to a gallon of water, so we'll pack dinner to eat inside. Should be a good time. I'm sad that one of the headliners had to cancel but hoping that one of my faves, Judah and the Lion gets a longer set.

• Like 2

I know it’s early, but had to share our diva grand dog. I brought her a jingle bell collar, put it on her & she ran to the mirror to see it on her. I almost died laughing. Comes from living with an 11 year old that dresses her up. Winter is very proud of her new bling 😂😂. Melody 

44334C77-73F9-458E-8516-F564AF965CD9.jpeg

• Haha 1

So cute! Many animals just aren’t in to dressing up but yours seem to be the exception. I have a grand cat that is dressed up for a few of the holidays but it only lasts long enough to take a picture. So she usually looks like she’s tolerating it-in hopes that a treat will be her reward!

• Like 2

Cute dog! Hope your poor gums are healing up in time for pie!

The only thing Dani will wear is her Thundershirt, and then only in the car. She is not into clothes like me. 🙂

DaniThundershirtSmall.jpg.1fb885ed36d4fa18c559d3ddd8ade5d1.jpg

She likes to hang out in the foyer table where she can see out the front door.

DaniTableSm.jpg.42146c2c1561284fac4f543ad138ef0d.jpg

Just a reminder now with the holidays approaching that poinsettias and other indoor plants can be toxic to pets. Lilies are especially poisonous to cats.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 2

What a cute dog, Melody.  I have had both dogs and cats over the years, and love them both. Unfortunately, cat fur sets off my asthma really badly, so when my last cat passed away a year or so ago, we did not get another.  I'm hit or miss when it comes to dogs.  I have heard it isn't so much the fur as it is their skin, and the oils and what not that certain breeds have on their skin?  In any event, my dogs have short coats and I do well with them.  I need to share a picture.  I know I have before, but I love my fur babies.

It seems like I have barely had a chance to do much, let alone be on my computer.  I have been following along though, and trying to jump in when I can.

I hope you are feel better, Melody and Sally.  It's a tough time of year to be sick.

There are only going to be three of us here for Thanksgiving.  My daughter, son-in-law and grandson are going to my SIL's grandmother's house for Thanksgiving dinner.  My other daughter will be home for dinner, but not dessert.  While it will be a small group, I still plan on making all the fixings, just less.  I love Thanksgiving, it is my favorite holiday.

I do have an offset as well, in that my work Christmas party is Sunday.  That is normally my decoration day for Christmas, and it is a bit of a family event.  We have a lot of fun with it.  Because of the party, everyone will be here to decorate on Friday evening.  Instead of "turkey surprise" as we always call it, we are going with pizza and wings.  We didn't want to do turkey two days in a row.  I can bring out the pies for dessert as well.  It's going to be a lot of fun.  My younger daughter's boyfriend will also be helping.

It seems funny to have a daughter married with a child, and to have my other daughter have a serious boyfriend when just a few years ago, it was just them.  With my younger daughter, we have always joked that she likes her men like tissues - soft, strong and disposable.  Really though, she is independent and strong enough to not stay in a relationship that isn't working.  She seems to have found someone that is right for her, and that makes me happy.

We have changed our plans slightly for our trip for the spring training game.  Instead of staying in a hotel, we are staying at my sister-in-law's place in Sarasota.  She has indicated she has traveled to Fort Myers a number of times, and she is about an hour and 20 minutes away.  Since the game is a day game, and we are renting a car, we are going to take her up on the offer.  It is going to save us some money, and that really helps my budget out.  If we are lucky, she will be there too and we can spend the second day with her.  If not, she is giving us the keys before we leave, and we will have the place to ourselves.  She goes back and forth regularly from New York to Florida.  

Laverne and Shirley and Harold (my fish) are doing very well.  If they continue to do well, I may ask Santa for a larger tank so that I can get more fish.  😉

For the work Christmas party, I think I am going to wear the same dress as last year.  The color isn't quite right, but it is a beautiful dress, and I haven't found much lately that I like.  I prefer something with sleeves as it is always cold.  

Here is a little side thing...in the summer, the day my stent was removed, we had tickets for TBT, which is  The Basketball Tournament.  It consist of former college players and there is a team of Syracuse University alumni called Boeheim's Army.  It was a super fun way to celebrate the end of the kidney saga, and we loved it.  When we arrived, they had a photographer taking pictures.   We never did find the picture anywhere, and we wondered about it.  

I decided to contact them about it, and they put me in touch with the photographer.  It was a cute picture, so I decided I'm going to get a copy printed for my daughter and another for my husband for Christmas.  While it isn't a big thing, it will be fun to surprise them with it.   They aren't on this site, so no worries of spoiling the surprise...by the way, I cropped it a bit and went with an 8 x 8 size.

I noticed I was having a good hair day.  The funny thing is, I went in for a trim not long ago, and she cut it way shorter than planned.  My hair grows fast though, so no big deal.

TBT.JPG

• Like 2

Laurie since you are staying in Sarasota fly into Sarasota .It will be so much easier . Sarasota is a good hour and 20 minutes of interstate driving to Fort Meyers .Where in Sarasota is your sister-in law's condo ?Sarasota is a big town.It has a great down town with lots of restaurant and shops . They also have an upscale shopping area called "St. Armand's ". Siesta beach is right there and great for a beach and lots of beach restaurants . Be prepared for heavy heavy traffic. My daughter , son -in -law and grandsons are here so I am super happy . I am much better but Thanksgiving is going to be lighter than usual due to Gluten restrictions but still plenty of food .

• Like 1