All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie. We’re doing a Capt Bob Speedboat Tour of St Maarten. It’s a private (20 max people)tour, 6 hours long that goes around the island with stops at secluded beaches. We booked it through Viator & payment ($129 pp) isn’t due until we cruise.

Honestly, we were pretty disappointed in the St Kitts train. I’m not sure if it was because it was so hot (& no ac) or what. The dancers that came on in the middle of a sugar cane field were good & the catamaran ride back to port was nice. There are so many other scenic options to do on St Kitts, the fort is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Melody

I am a planner by nature.  My husband likes to take me out of my comfort zone, and sometimes he will plan something and just not tell me.  For example, I think I mentioned us showing up at SU one day for a lacrosse game.  I like that he does that.

When I cruise, it's a little of each.  I love a good beach day, to just read or listen to music and stare at the water.  Then we'll go wading in to enjoy the water.  But there are no hard fast rules on what we need to do.  Then we'll be in a port, and I know what our excursion is, what place we want to find or eat at, etc.    As is, I make a whole spreadsheet with my outfits and accessories. I make sure everything mixes and matches so that I can change something up if I want, but that planning is still part of the overall process.

I really enjoy that.  So, I think I am going to look at different things before I decide for St. Maarten and St. Kitts.  

I had so much fun on the eco-tour when we went to Roatan.  I love learning and getting out and about.  I loved that I was moving. My husband did awesome.  At the same time, I never know when a flare will hit or how he will feel.  Sometimes, he just has to keep moving.  Sometimes, he has to sleep a lot.  

I figured we can't go too strenuous or too long for sitting or standing. 

It's 64 degrees....see you all later!  Lol, the sun is shining.  I can't wait to get out and about, even if it is just errands!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that the linen pants came in.  I love both colors a lot.  The color maplewood is a wonderful earthy brown.  I loved that while it was a darker color, it was still light enough to feel ideal for summer.  Mineral is a wonderful color as well.  They pretty much are just the right length for me, since i will wear them with flat sandals. 

Now we just need summer weather!

The day it was 64 was Saturday, I think.  It got up to 70 and the sun was shining.  Then it became overcast and dropped down into the 30s overnight.  It has been back and forth, but it is supposed to be great next week.

I tried on the dress that I wore in my daughter's wedding.  I was thinking it is a great choice for dress your best night.  It is not an earth color, but I feel that the color looks pretty good overall.  It is a funny purplish blue color.  I have been wanting to wear this so I tried it on, thinking there was no way it would fit.  While it is snugger in the chest area, I was shocked that it fit pretty well overall.  

So I have formal night, dress your best night, and tropical night pretty set, other than accessories.  I have a pretty good idea what I am wearing the other four nights as well.   I have options, so I will narrow it down later on.  I think they are all going to be what I call "easy wear" dresses.

Tomorrow is a day of laundry, some cooking and getting ready for Easter.  It will be very low key this year.  My older daughter and I plan to do all the cooking.  My husband and I are on vacation next week, so I look forward to taking care of appointments, relaxing and getting out and about in the good weather.  Sadly, my husband will still have overtime to work, as he has a few events that he doesn't have enough coverage for. 

• Like 1

I bit the bullet & bought Athleta’s Thera Santorini dress. Several colors on sale (these never go on sale). I got the black in Tall & the (shocker) blue

we don’t cruise till February but I’m pretty sure I know what I’m taking!  We do have a 55th hs reunion sometime this summer (they still haven’t picked a date). We haven’t been back to Boston since 2018. 

Hope all have an enjoyable Easter/Passover. Melody

Laurie the flooding is in Ft Lauderdale (& it’s awful, this weekend is the Tortuga Music Festival). Airport just reopened but only taking 16 planes an hour. Numerous delays & cancellations. Anita is up in the Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral area about 4 hours north of Ft Lauderdale

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Laurie the flooding is in Ft Lauderdale (& it’s awful, this weekend is the Tortuga Music Festival). Airport just reopened but only taking 16 planes an hour. Numerous delays & cancellations. Anita is up in the Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral area about 4 hours north of Ft Lauderdale

Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral doesn't have the flooding, but it has the totally nasty and smelly sargassum washing up on the beaches now.  

Speaking of weather, it's been like summer all week here!  No spring at all, just summery weather. I think I picked a great week for vacation!  We have been doing odds and ends of things, but it's been pretty low key overall. 

We started some work outside, took care of 4 appointments, spent the day at the outlet mall in Waterloo, plus little odds and ends. It has been nice just feeling like we are catching up on different things.  Earlier today, I did the switch of cold weather clothes t summer clothes. Because we normally have a complete four seasons, that means I still have plenty of things out for cooler weather still.  It was nice thought to go through things, and finally let go of some things that I haven't worn in at least 2-3 years.  For the most part, I find that I keep tags on things and try them on a few times, unless the item is an instant yes, and goes right into the rotation.  The advantage of giving extra try ons to things is that I am less likely to keep something I'm not going to wear.

I did quite a bit of purging.  As I just mentioned, there are things I haven't worn in 2-3 years.  There are things that no longer fit, although I kept items that were snug as I am trying to take a few pounds off.

The nice thing about doing this is to also see where there are voids in my wardrobe, but to also see what has become a mainstay, and why.  For example, why is that a favorite shirt?  Is it the fit, fabric or style? 

I'm going to look through some pictures, but here is an example.  About 3 years ago, I was at the outlet mall and there is an Old Navy Outlet Store there.  I picked up a summery long sleeved top that is a woven fabric, in a wonderful shade of brown.  I found that I was wearing it a lot.  Last year, they had almost the same exact shirt on sale, and there was a blue that I thought might be somewhat warm.  When it arrived, it wasn't as warm as I thought but I like it so I kept it.  Yesterday, they had another version of the shirt in a dusty coral color that was earthy.  

Here is the photo.  The color is called aspen summer.  The batik blue is the color I got last year.  that one has a few tiny buttons at the top. (link: Split-Neck Blouse for Women | Old Navy (gap.com)  

cn52695737.jpg

The funny thing is that it isn't really a style I would normally migrate to.  but if you do the little tuck in thing on one side in the front, there is no "tenting" going on. I think it ends up looking flattering.

I also had a little fun trying on cruise dresses, which I may have mentioned already.  I really feel ready for that, but it isn't until September.

There was a really pretty jumpsuit I saw in the Loft Outlet store yesterday, and I did not try it on.  The outlet is different than the regular store, and there is no online version.  It's probably just as well, as I would have a limited amount of places to wear it.

• Like 1

One thing that is kind of funny is that we were originally going to take this week off.  As it turns out, it's going tobe springy- cold and rainy.  There is no snow in the forecast yet that I know of.  

It hit 85 yesterday!

• Like 1

Our weather is still going back and forth, but it was really nice yesterday and so far today.  The rain will be coming later on.  

As you know, we are getting a day bed in Cococay, which we have done before.  We love doing this, so that day is set.  In St. Kitts, we decided on the rainforest hike.  I have checked with a few people who have done this, and as long as my husband isn't having a flare, he will be fine.  Should he not be feeling well when we are ready to sail, we will cancel.

I goofed a bit though.  For whatever reason, I thought we were going to St. Maarten, and we are going to St. Thomas!  We looked over excursions last week, and I put one that we like in our cart without purchasing it.  It is now sold out.  As a matter of fact, a lot of things are sold out that we were looking at.  I know new things will be added but we are a bit sad.  Everything left is either to the beach or similar.  

At this point, I am exploring some other things.  I am always good with exploring on our own, but we try to make it a point of being well planned out and safe.  I love it when we can walk to a historical area and explore on our own and find a local place to eat.  So that may be our plan, but I need to do some research.  I do see an option for an RCI excursion of St. John on your own, but it seems like a high price to pay for a ferry ride to and from.  I may see if there is standard ferry transportation at a better price than $65.00 per person.  In their defense, the ride over is a slower tour where they show you a lot of things, so it isn't like a total overpay.    

I will say that I am hearing a ton of talk about how quickly everything sells out because it is a bigger ship with lots of people.  There is a part of me that considered a back to back on Freedom to create a 7 day trip, but I really didn't want the hassle and I wanted  to see some different ports.

I have also heard a lot of negative things about the main dining room.  We have the 3 night dining package, so we can see how everything goes.

Edited by laurspag

5 hours ago, laurspag said:

Our weather is still going back and forth, but it was really nice yesterday and so far today.  The rain will be coming later on.  

As you know, we are getting a day bed in Cococay, which we have done before.  We love doing this, so that day is set.  In St. Kitts, we decided on the rainforest hike.  I have checked with a few people who have done this, and as long as my husband isn't having a flare, he will be fine.  Should he not be feeling well when we are ready to sail, we will cancel.

I goofed a bit though.  For whatever reason, I thought we were going to St. Maarten, and we are going to St. Thomas!  We looked over excursions last week, and I put one that we like in our cart without purchasing it.  It is now sold out.  As a matter of fact, a lot of things are sold out that we were looking at.  I know new things will be added but we are a bit sad.  Everything left is either to the beach or similar.  

At this point, I am exploring some other things.  I am always good with exploring on our own, but we try to make it a point of being well planned out and safe.  I love it when we can walk to a historical area and explore on our own and find a local place to eat.  So that may be our plan, but I need to do some research.  I do see an option for an RCI excursion of St. John on your own, but it seems like a high price to pay for a ferry ride to and from.  I may see if there is standard ferry transportation at a better price than $65.00 per person.  In their defense, the ride over is a slower tour where they show you a lot of things, so it isn't like a total overpay.    

I will say that I am hearing a ton of talk about how quickly everything sells out because it is a bigger ship with lots of people.  There is a part of me that considered a back to back on Freedom to create a 7 day trip, but I really didn't want the hassle and I wanted  to see some different ports.

I have also heard a lot of negative things about the main dining room.  We have the 3 night dining package, so we can see how everything goes.

St Thomas is my favorite (shopping) island. The St Johns tour is fabulous. The private ferry isn’t as great on times. What ship are you on?  

We are on Harmony. We love Freedom Class and Voyager Class the best.  We wanted something different this time.

I'm not a big port shopper, overall.  One of my best memories from a cruise was a totally unplanned stop in Bonaire to be redirected from a hurricane. We got off, found a museum, a brewery/ restaurant and walked around.  The brewery had the best food...it was fabulous.

It has been a long time since we've been to St. Thomas!

• Like 1

We enjoy walking up the stairs to Blackbeards Castle & wandering there. Then we go to Bumpas (on the water, upstairs) & have a fabulous steak & cheese sub sandwich (Tell Rollie & Bonnie that Les & Melody said hi!). Shopping is Ballerina Jewelers. 

we liked Harmony, but she’s really big. I was always on the wrong side trying to go across & had to go up or down. Tons of kids when we went in December. Great music in Schooners above the Promenade 

Laurie, you should plan to see this. You will be so close for driving to the path of totality. Scroll down in the article and there is a map of where it will be in  New York. We will be on a cruise ship off the coast of Mexico.

Melody you will be too far away unless you hit the road. Our original plan was Texas until we found the cruise.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/places-to-see-total-solar-eclipse/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Laurie, you should plan to see this. You will be so close for driving to the path of totality. Scroll down in the article and there is a map of where it will be in  New York. We will be on a cruise ship off the coast of Mexico.

Melody you will be too far away unless you hit the road. Our original plan was Texas until we found the cruise.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/places-to-see-total-solar-eclipse/

Thanks Margaret

Not much fashion news from here. DH has been isolating because he went to a conference and got covid. So, we're living at opposite ends of the house, and even though I have stayed negative, I am not out and about in my usual fashion. He's doing well though, and gets sprung tomorrow. It's been too rainy for our walks so we are both a bit stir-crazy. I have gotten some house projects done though!

I've also been reading up on our October ports and making plans. I booked our hotel in London for October, and the one we like in San Pedro for next April. I booked our transfer to Heathrow that visits Stonehenge on the way. I've downloaded some walking tours that I want to study. Good rainy day reading.

Both cruises are unique itineraries and look to sell out shortly. It will be quite different from our last cruise which was only about 60% capacity, and the two previous Princess restarts that were closer to 40%. 

I went to a Broadway show recently, and it was packed. Along my way there was lots of hustle and bustle, so NYC is definitely back in its stride. Lots and lots of tourists. So good to see everyone enjoying my city. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 2:41 PM, MJC said:

I went to a Broadway show recently, and it was packed. Along my way there was lots of hustle and bustle, so NYC is definitely back in its stride. Lots and lots of tourists. So good to see everyone enjoying my city. 

Maybe you ran into my cousin--she's in NYC celebrating her daughter's 15th birthday.

• Like 1

Margaret, I hope your husband is feeling better, and that you still have not caught Covid from him.

It does feel like everything is getting back to normal, doesn't it?

We have an outside project commanding our attention so we've been busy, but rain has set in and is supposed to continue all week, so I will be focusing on other projects.  I had lots of mending to do plus some new pants to hem, so that is how I spent today.  I often wondering how many people mend these days.  I was happy to get all that caught up.

I look forward to traveling. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is doing well at the start of this Mothers Day weekend. 

We’ve ventured out of our comfort zone & booked a HAL 21 night cruise for October 2024. The really interesting part is it’s in & out of Boston & has 7 ports we haven’t visited, including a Touch Canal into Panama Canal. My cousin (that I haven’t seen in 30! Years!) & her companion are in the same cruise. HAL offered Have It All, wifi, 3 shore excursions, 3 specialty dinners & elite beverage package. We’re never going to make Zenith on Celebrity, so why not branch out. It’ll be our 55th wedding anniversary trip too. 

Melody

• Like 2