Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

At the risk of sticking a toe into this boiling pot of discussion, I want to mention that this change might NOT be all just about money. I got 'the card' on my b2b Dream cruise this January, and I got to experience these changes for 21 days.

It all went okay. We requested morning service, got our towel animal and a clean room to come back to. To be entirely candid, I didn't think our cabin was cleaned all that well some days, but that might have been a function of our individual steward, not the new system.

I believe that Any Time Dining plays a role in this change. Back in the good old days when nearly all pax went to either early or late dining, a cabin steward could schedule evening cleaning by the dining time per cabin, which he would know. This would give him a window of time to get about half of his block of rooms done early and then proceed to do the late diners' room.

Now, with ATD, pax can be in their rooms till very late before going to the MDR and vacating their cabins, making it very difficult for the steward to finish his work in time.

Therefore, and in conclusion :)) I don't blame it all on Carnival going full el cheapo on us and I wouldn't want to blame the steward and stiff him with no gratuity either. It could be us pax own fault for preferring ATD.

I would never reduce or remove my prepaid tips. If I had a steward who was reluctant to provide twice a day service, I would probably decide, for the first time, not to tip extra, but I wouldn't remove any automatic tips. I just want to continue receiving twice a day service without feeling like I'm causing more work for my steward.

We were on Dream last month for the 21 day journey. We were given the card it saying morning OR evening. As well as steward told us ONCE a day. I let him know it didn't make me happy. He said he had been doing 25 cabins twice a day (50 cleanings), now 35 cabins once a day. Also acted as if he now had more work and hard to keep up. Told me he would get me ice in the mornings if I asked. We asked ONE morning and he had to go a long way down the hall......he didn't seem happy. So less servicing to the cabins, but tips stay the same. A little inconvenient with towels depending on what ya do. Sometimes need more that 2 towels a day. We had sand on the carpet for 5 days til we finally asked for it to be vacuumed. Said the next day was day for vacuuming, but he would do it that evening. In 41 cruises with CCL we have never experienced anything like this trip. Getting twice a day wasn't going o happen long story short.

Kat

That steward would have been getting e reduced tip for having an attitude problem. Giving you a hard time for ice and having to ASK for sand to be cleared up are not good service.

As for those who don't believe in reducing tips for any reason, I am pretty sure no one lied to them about what their pay relied upon. And they CHOSE this job anyway. That said, we have never had cause to reduce tips for any personnel onboard.

At the risk of sticking a toe into this boiling pot of discussion, I want to mention that this change might NOT be all just about money. I got 'the card' on my b2b Dream cruise this January, and I got to experience these changes for 21 days.

It all went okay. We requested morning service, got our towel animal and a clean room to come back to. To be entirely candid, I didn't think our cabin was cleaned all that well some days, but that might have been a function of our individual steward, not the new system.

I believe that Any Time Dining plays a role in this change. Back in the good old days when nearly all pax went to either early or late dining, a cabin steward could schedule evening cleaning by the dining time per cabin, which he would know. This would give him a window of time to get about half of his block of rooms done early and then proceed to do the late diners' room.

Now, with ATD, pax can be in their rooms till very late before going to the MDR and vacating their cabins, making it very difficult for the steward to finish his work in time.

Therefore, and in conclusion :)) I don't blame it all on Carnival going full el cheapo on us and I wouldn't want to blame the steward and stiff him with no gratuity either. It could be us pax own fault for preferring ATD.

Your time dining isn't exactly a new concept. Never had issue with YTD over several cruises and getting both day and night service of my stateroom.

As confused as the OP is about the form, I'm confused by people saying they will remove their tips if their room is not serviced twice a day. The automatic gratuity for Stateroom Services is $3.90 per day. I personally think a tip of $3.90 doesn't even cover having the room cleaned once a day.

I personally think a tip of $3.90 doesn't even cover having the room cleaned once a day.

But Carnival does. That's what they feel is the going rate for maintaining their hotel and keeping guests happy.

I truly hope I don't have an issue getting twice a day service when requested.

Amount of times I want to talk to a supervisor: zero

Amount of times I want to go to guest services: zero

Amount of time I want to spend trying to get what I have gotten up until now: none.

All of that micromanagement is "work" and something I'm not interested in doing on vacation. Sorry to say these companies really don't care what anyone says, they only care when you vote with your wallet. It's the only language they understand universally.

Haven't been on a cruise since Aug 2013...going this Aug. Do they do do towels animals with turn down still...and give you chocolates? What if we only ask for morning service...will they do the towel animals and chocolates in the morning? I prefer once a day service and don't really need evening turn down but I like the towel animals and chocolates.

Carnival ended the chocolates well over a year ago...

But Carnival does. That's what they feel is the going rate for maintaining their hotel and keeping guests happy.

I truly hope I don't have an issue getting twice a day service when requested.

Amount of times I want to talk to a supervisor: zero

Amount of times I want to go to guest services: zero

Amount of time I want to spend trying to get what I have gotten up until now: none.

All of that micromanagement is "work" and something I'm not interested in doing on vacation. Sorry to say these companies really don't care what anyone says, they only care when you vote with your wallet. It's the only language they understand universally.

Yep, that pretty much covers how I feel, as well.

As confused as the OP is about the form, I'm confused by people saying they will remove their tips if their room is not serviced twice a day. The automatic gratuity for Stateroom Services is $3.90 per day. I personally think a tip of $3.90 doesn't even cover having the room cleaned once a day.

That's per person. A family of 4 would be just shy of $16. That's three times the amount I tip on land at a hotel.

That's per person. A family of 4 would be just shy of $16. That's three times the amount I tip on land at a hotel.

True.I hadn't considered this. But by removing tips woulld someone be hurting the cruise line, or just the employee following orders.

True.I hadn't considered this. But by removing tips woulld someone be hurting the cruise line, or just the employee following orders.

Well, you pay the money to the cruise line and they pool it. They then account for it and distribute it to whoever they choose, on whatever timeline suits them, and in any manner they see fit. So they will be the ones that take notice.

I don't understand why Carnival is putting their hard working stewards in this "line of fire" position. think about the people that directly impact your cruise enjoyment the most; the room attendant and dining staff. The company messing with those front line, face to face employees isn't a smart idea.

But now that everyone has settled down about pillow chocolates and bathroom amenity kits, the company can identify further cost savings.

Let him take it up with his bosses. One way or the other he will be servicing my room twice, or his tip would/will be halved.

I imagine I would get my way as his customer. He is working for me. Some forget this group replaced the days of old, passengers bringing their own butlers on board. In fact, on some cruise lines, butlers still exist, but they are supplied to the passenger.

But ultimately, I'm confused why a cruise line would cut back or even touch a service we are paying the employee directly for. We pay their salary. The cruise line provides them room and board. The only conclusion I keep drawing on is they wish to cut back on the amount of this staff, and cram even more paying passengers onto a ship. I read somewhere, maybe even on this thread, that they are now proceeding to taking care of 35 cabins from 20 <rumor 101>.

Well, you pay the money to the cruise line and they pool it. They then account for it and distribute it to whoever they choose, on whatever timeline suits them, and in any manner they see fit. So they will be the ones that take notice.

I don't understand why Carnival is putting their hard working stewards in this "line of fire" position. think about the people that directly impact your cruise enjoyment the most; the room attendant and dining staff. The company messing with those front line, face to face employees isn't a smart idea.

But now that everyone has settled down about pillow chocolates and bathroom amenity kits, the company can identify further cost savings.

This is why I tip in cash directly to those assigned to me. I don't trust ANYONE to distribute my tipmoney.

Let him take it up with his bosses. One way or the other he will be servicing my room twice, or his tip would/will be halved.

I imagine I would get my way as his customer. He is working for me. Some forget this group replaced the days of old, passengers bringing their own butlers on board. In fact, on some cruise lines, butlers still exist, but they are supplied to the passenger.

But ultimately, I'm confused why a cruise line would cut back or even touch a service we are paying the employee directly for. We pay their salary. The cruise line provides them room and board. The only conclusion I keep drawing on is they wish to cut back on the amount of this staff, and cram even more paying passengers onto a ship. I read somewhere, maybe even on this thread, that they are now proceeding to taking care of 35 cabins from 20 <rumor 101>.

I actually have a friend who is a room steward for Carnival. She recently told me that she now has to service 35 cabins. If she services her cabins twice a day taking 15 minutes each time, she's looking at 17 hours a day of running nonstop.

I think if someone wants to show their displeasure with Carnival, they should do it by not booking future cruises with them. But to think you're somehow affecting change by punishing individual employees by removing tips is nonsense. These may not seem like decent jobs to a lot of people, but to workers supporting their families they are. The quickest way for them to lose their job is not to follow the policies they have no control over.

I actually have a friend who is a room steward for Carnival. She recently told me that she now has to service 35 cabins. If she services her cabins twice a day taking 15 minutes each time, she's looking at 17 hours a day of running nonstop.

I think if someone wants to show their displeasure with Carnival, they should do it by not booking future cruises with them. But to think you're somehow affecting change by punishing individual employees by removing tips is nonsense. These may not seem like decent jobs to a lot of people, but to workers supporting their families they are. The quickest way for them to lose their job is not to follow the policies they have no control over.

Great post!

How do you tip the staff that gets the 2 bucks a day in person?

I don't. That's something Carnival invented. It used to not even exist, then suddenly, $1, and then, $2. They should have actually added and split the $2 between the dining and the steward staff.

Tips are for service. Nothing more. I don't tip anywhere people I never interact with.

I don't. That's something Carnival invented. It used to not even exist,

Autotipping is fairly new in the cruise industry, relatively speaking. Of course the behind the scenes people were paid guaranteed wages before all of this got invented.

The sort of people that ask 'So you go downstairs and hand everyone $2, right?' don't seem to understand, or can't admit, that the behind the scenes workers had regular wages before autotips were instated.

Autotipping is fairly new in the cruise industry, relatively speaking. Of course the behind the scenes people were paid guaranteed wages before all of this got invented.

The sort of people that ask 'So you go downstairs and hand everyone $2, right?' don't seem to understand, or can't admit, that the behind the scenes workers had regular wages before autotips were instated.

And they still do. Even THEY know they don't gets tips along with their contractual salary.

Edited by Je Souhaite

Yes, I have been trying to do the math to figure out how this is even possible. What if 35 rooms all select twice a day. There's just not enough time in the day! That's way too many rooms for one attendant with an assistant. Even at 10 minutes per room that's almost impossible.

I know Carnival reads these forums, especially John Heald's staff. Stop shorting the customer and you won't have to worry another second about revenue and / or staff payments.

Remember: take care of your customers or someone else will

Remember: take care of your customers or someone else will

Bunch of bs. You guys have been saying that for years with every change Carnival does. Yet, bookings continue to get stronger than ever. For the few that want to go elsewhere, there's a few that'll leave other cruise lines for Carnival. It's also pathetic that people will cut tips to your room steward for a decision Carnival might make.

Actually, once Carnival has a exit problem with employees leaving because their workload almost doubled, and their tips halved, it would certainly affect Carnival. Personally, once my contract was up, I'd jump ship to another,so to speak.

No wonder these people are trying to get away with lying to their passengers, when we have been told the policy is to the passengers desires. Their lie should be their hit.