Choice Air and using points to upgrade? No?

emelle

With the caveat that I usually use my AA points to buy domestic airline travel tickets, when my travel agent and I looked at airfares from east coast US to Barcelona and back (for the Celebrity Western Med cruise), Choice air was somewhat less expensive with an itenerary that used AA and British Airways. Price was a few hundred less for two travelers.

So I booked with Choice air, two tickets, Economy via my travel agent (This is a small group trip, so easiest to all be traveling together).

Because AA advertises on it's website that you can use AA miles to "enjoy a higher level of service on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia." I thought I would call and try to upgrade to business with my AA points (realizing from the AA website table I have enough points to do so).

After multiple phone calls to AA, Choice Air and British Airways--apparently because the US to Barcelona flight is an AA plane, operated by AA, but ticketed by BA, I cannot use my AA points (AA says it's computer system will not recognize the booking/ticket???). And because all of the legs of my return flight are ticketed by BA (even the last leg from Miami to my small southern town) and even though 2 of the three last legs have AA jets operated by AA, I cannot use my AA points to upgrade. According to BA, they will give me my Frequent flier AA points when I travel on BA, but on BA ticketed flights they will only accept BA points for upgrade.

Geesh! I am somewhat confused. Can anyone explain this? I figure it's some business deal that Choice Air and BA/AA have--certainly not apparent on the surface and I could not find any other reference to this problem on CC boards. Feel like I've had the "bait and switch" or was I just naive?

Choice Air is a TA and also a consolidator. You can only use points on the ticketing airline. for example your BA ticket has a code share flight operated by AA. Thus they cannot handle points as they probably have no seats. am thinking AA probably does but again only on a AA ticketed flight ticket.

I recently booked a partner ticket on Quantas using Alaska miles. However Quantas allows no changes to that ticket - none - and while Quantas has availability of upgraded seats they only have upgrades or seats for QUANTAS mileage holders. Airlines always offer preference to their own plan members.

Just one of the issues with Choice Air including the budget tickets that are not upgradable as the prior poster stated.

Edited by az_tchr

We have a Choice Air ticket, Munich - FLL, in April, Delta. We were able to upgrade to Delta Comfort Plus at an additional cost. We have noticed there are a lot of Business Class seats still open, and may call to see if we are able to upgrade. It does depend on Ticket class and Airline rules.

Apparently, some CA tickets are in a class that CAN be upgraded with points/miles and some are not. Furthermore, for tickets that can be upgraded each airline has rules as to when and how that can happen, so in this case, even though the actual flight is on AA, the ticket appears to be issued by BA and BA may not have UG inventory for the flight, or may not be able to process an upgrade that uses AA miles. I don't think it's bait and switch, it's just a matter of not fully understanding the rules from the get go. Had you bought your ticket directly from AA you'd likely have a different outcome. But the savings of purchasing through CA were presumably worth it. Right? ;)

We have a Choice Air ticket, Munich - FLL, in April, Delta. We were able to upgrade to Delta Comfort Plus at an additional cost. We have noticed there are a lot of Business Class seats still open, and may call to see if we are able to upgrade. It does depend on Ticket class and Airline rules.

We're flying Delta back to the U.S. also, and I asked about using miles/$$$ to upgrade to Business/First, and they said they don't do that -- just had to pay extra for Comfort Plus.

United will let you upgrade a Choice Air ticket with miles/$$$, and I try to do it as often as possible, especially when taking the redeye to Europe. Their flat beds help in getting a few hours of sleep.

We're flying Delta back to the U.S. also, and I asked about using miles/$$$ to upgrade to Business/First, and they said they don't do that -- just had to pay extra for Comfort Plus.

United will let you upgrade a Choice Air ticket with miles/$$$, and I try to do it as often as possible, especially when taking the redeye to Europe. Their flat beds help in getting a few hours of sleep.

We paid extra($129 each) for Comfort Plus. We just called Delta to see what the charge would be to go to Business Class or if that is even an option. She put us on hold, and came back and said we need to contact our TA(Choice Air). I think it will be outrageous, but, dh is willing to make the phone call.

Marie

I booked AA to fly calif to FLL one way for our upcoming transatlantic cruise. i purchased economy seats through Choice Air. Once I had my booking number I called AA and paid freq miles an cash to upgrade to first class. Our return flight is showing up on the AA booking, but is British Airlways - Amsterdam to LAX. I purchased premium economy. Economy would have been under $600 per person one way, premium was $1100 pp. Wanted to be comfortable coming home and we splurged.

Well thanks everyone---a combination of marketing that does not include specifics and a bit of naiveté for me. All I can say is "never again!"

I think all of the posts above where people have upgraded with points are either not transoceanic or not BA/AA related. Although, I may be mistaken this late in the evening.;)

With the caveat that I usually use my AA points to buy domestic airline travel tickets, when my travel agent and I looked at airfares from east coast US to Barcelona and back (for the Celebrity Western Med cruise), Choice air was somewhat less expensive with an itenerary that used AA and British Airways. Price was a few hundred less for two travelers.

So I booked with Choice air, two tickets, Economy via my travel agent (This is a small group trip, so easiest to all be traveling together).

Because AA advertises on it's website that you can use AA miles to "enjoy a higher level of service on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia." I thought I would call and try to upgrade to business with my AA points (realizing from the AA website table I have enough points to do so).

After multiple phone calls to AA, Choice Air and British Airways--apparently because the US to Barcelona flight is an AA plane, operated by AA, but ticketed by BA, I cannot use my AA points (AA says it's computer system will not recognize the booking/ticket???). And because all of the legs of my return flight are ticketed by BA (even the last leg from Miami to my small southern town) and even though 2 of the three last legs have AA jets operated by AA, I cannot use my AA points to upgrade. According to BA, they will give me my Frequent flier AA points when I travel on BA, but on BA ticketed flights they will only accept BA points for upgrade.

Geesh! I am somewhat confused. Can anyone explain this? I figure it's some business deal that Choice Air and BA/AA have--certainly not apparent on the surface and I could not find any other reference to this problem on CC boards. Feel like I've had the "bait and switch" or was I just naive?

I don't think it has anything to do with Choice Air in this case. I think it's just that the ticket was ticketed on BA, so it's a BA ticket even if some of the flights on the itinerary are operated by AA. You can buy tickets like that through any travel agent, or directly from the airlines themselves (in this case you'd be buying it through BA) and the rules would be the same.

For example, I bought a Delta ticket through Choice Air for my spring TA one-way trip back to the US from Rome. However I cannot upgrade it with miles because the ticket class is not eligible based on Delta's rules, which I found on the Delta website. Which is fine by me, I just wanted the FF miles...though some fare classes of tickets sold by Choice Air, with some airlines, I've heard, are not eligible for FF miles either.

So I think the bottom line is that if you are interested in the frequent flyer miles, or upgrading with points through the airline, you need to do careful homework before you buy a ticket through Choice Air. Ask about the ticket class and ask which airline the flights are ticketed through--before you buy. And check on your airline of choice's website, or call them, to ask if you will get miles and/or can upgrade with points in that situation--before you buy.

On the other hand, getting a ticket through Choice Air often saves quite a significant amount of money vs. buying from the airline or a regular travel agent. Especially for one-way fares. There is a reason the prices are lower--part of the reason is the tickets are often more restrictive than a "regular" ticket.

While you say (in your most recent post, not the one I've quoted above) something like "I sure won't make that mistake again", buying through Choice Air was not a mistake. The mistake was not asking the questions/doing the research before you bought the ticket if you wanted to do something specific with it like upgrade using airline frequent flyer miles. Choice Air is not some bait-and-switch sleazy operator. :)

Don't know what you expected but,...you are booked through BA.....does not matter if they are borrowing AA planes....your ticket is BA....should have booked an AA fright using BA planes...LOL

even this would not help here.....

Have a similar issue AA/BA: booked on AA, C-Tix - LHR - MIA

on my way to MIA, I'm able to select my seat, on the way home : nada niente it's operated by BA - they ask for 120 bucks to do a seat reservation...and we are talking about business / first class

Edited by MarkusToe