Winter Cruises to Darwin

I had seen packages that included the Ghan or the Indian Pacific linking up with cruises either in Perth or Darwin. The prices are not cheap but then those trains are not cheap either.

Yeah, very expensive. I priced it out separately and it was slightly dearer than booking the separate components - but that may have depended on the hotel used in Perth/Fremantle. The train is very expensive these days. :(

I don't understand why RC don't base a ship here year round. Apart from the above mentioned itineraries, most Aussies love the opportunity to get away during our winter to the Pacific Islands, no cyclones and warmer weather. Surely there must be a market for it, especially if they start looking at some different ports such as PNG, Tonga and maybe the Solomon Islands.

Edited by KAYTWO

I don't understand why RC don't base a ship here year round. Apart from the above mentioned itineraries, most Aussies love the opportunity to get away during our winter to the Pacific Islands, no cyclones and warmer weather. Surely there must be a market for it, especially if they start looking at some different ports such as PNG, Tonga and maybe the Solomon Islands.

That would be good, but RCI have other regions that are established in making money for them for the Northern Hemisphere summer.:D

That would be good, but RCI have other regions that are established in making money for them for the Northern Hemisphere summer.:D

When I see the discount fares on many cruises in the Northern hemisphere, I think cruise lines would be wise to develop new markets in the Southern Hemisphere, in addition to South America and South Africa.

In addition to the local Aussie/Kiwi market, there is a fast growing middle class from SEAsia and Asia, who are already visiting Australia.

Yeah, very expensive. I priced it out separately and it was slightly dearer than booking the separate components - but that may have depended on the hotel used in Perth/Fremantle. The train is very expensive these days. :(

We looked at that last year, cruise Syd -Perth IP back to Syd, or the other way around. About 20 days all up.

Saved about $2K just doing 34 days on the ship.

That's right saved $2K.

It's a numbers game.

Not so long ago, Princess would have one ship here for about 6 months (actually less) a year, and that was Pacific Princess with 680PAX.

Now Sun, Sea and Dawn 2000 ea all year round, Golden and Diamond 2,500 ea for the six months.

Lines send ships to where they can maximize revenue. Or more accurately maximize profit.

We looked at that last year, cruise Syd -Perth IP back to Syd, or the other way around. About 20 days all up.

Saved about $2K just doing 34 days on the ship.

That's right saved $2K.

The trains are very expensive and are the larger part of the cost in those train cruise packages.:(

• 4 weeks later...
Would Lizard Island be possible as well by tender?

And Thursday Island and the Coburg Peninsula.

Only the "smaller " ships can get close enough to Thursday Island to tender. Pacific Princess and Crystal have called there.

Heres a cruise that calls at Thursday Island, but again in Feb.

2mmwfbp.jpg

Azamara Journey

You could cruise one way and then fly back. The scenery from the air would be just as amazing.:)

I have done that, which is why I want to do it again. The Ocean Princess cruised so close to the Coast, I had a permanent spot on the Promenade Deck, enjoying the spectacular view. When we flew from Cairns to Horn Island (for Thursday Island) the view from air was also spectacular.

I wish more Australians had the opportunity to see this beautiful region, by sea, outside the cyclone season.

Of course, experienced southerners already flock north in their caravans and 4WDs and trailers every winter.

Just off Radiance of the Seas. The question was asked at Captains Corner whether there were any plans to base a ship in Australua on a permanent basis and the straight forward answer was "No".

Thanks for sharing that information.

How was the Radiance of the Seas?

Thanks for sharing that information.

How was the Radiance of the Seas?

Fantastic.

Going into dry dock for for 2 weeks for her 5 year inspection plus normal maintenance, new carpets, bedding, paint job, pool clean etc. No upgrades planned.

Left Monday for Vancouver via Hawaii. Goes into dry dock next day at Portland. That is why she left a little earlier this year.

Just didnt like the relocation of Next Cruise lounge from deck 12 to deck 5 next to the coffee shop. But it does look clean and fresh.

The outside areas around some of the water chanels need rust treatment.

She still sails fully booked every cruise.

The Captain also asked if we would like to see another Radiance class ship here. Nearly brought the roof down:D

However, the trend is to build bigger ships to satisfy the rapidly escalating cruise market.

He also mentioned that we were getting the latest and greatest in Ovation but it is limited to only a few Ports. Eg she cannot get into Port Philip Bay.

[quote name='cassamanda']Fantastic.
Going into dry dock for for 2 weeks for her 5 year inspection plus normal maintenance, new carpets, bedding, paint job, pool clean etc. No upgrades planned.

Left Monday for Vancouver via Hawaii. Goes into dry dock next day at Portland. That is why she left a little earlier this year.

Just didnt like the relocation of Next Cruise lounge from deck 12 to deck 5 next to the coffee shop. But it does look clean and fresh.

The outside areas around some of the water chanels need rust treatment.

She still sails fully booked every cruise.[/QUOTE]

I have always wanted to cruise on Radiance, ever since I loved the inaugural cruise on Rhapsody.

I just can't understand why at least one cruiseline doesn't test the market and send a medium sized ship to Australia during our winter season. MSC sends ships south to South America and South Africa, why not one to Australia.